No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    M_Balje wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    That is an interesting read. I'm not surprised that this was deliberate and involved both Hoyte and Mendes. It's clear to me after several viewings that they were going for a particular surreal atmosphere and look with this film. It almost feels like viewing a 'painting'. I don't personally like it and feel it's not something suitable for Bond, but I recognize that it was a concerted decision, perhaps to emphasize the spectral atmosphere and premise.

I think the distinctive look of the film is one of its saving graces.

http://www.artofvfx.com/spectre-zave-jackson-vfx-supervisor-cinesite/

This is what you mean with painting look

Skyfall-1875.jpg

spectre-iimages-11-gallery.jpg

spectre_nightintro_original.jpg

Spectre_Cinesite_VFX_04B.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg[/quote]

I appreciate that kind of detail, but for a Bond film, it's utterly pretentious.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »
    If it was up to me, I'd give the directing chair to Simon West.

The first Tomb Raider movie is enough to make me want West as far as possible from Bond.
    Not his finest hour.

Craziness. That movie is pure enjoyment. Best video game adaptation ever.

It might have been a good movie, but it had nothing to do with the videogame, and that's my problem. If West showed no respect for Tomb Raider, he might show none for Bond.
    West isn't the only one to blame. Eidos Interactive greenlit the script and as far as I know they selected the crew and the writers. I put them to blame rather than West.

In an interview he said Lara had no house servant in the games, meaning he did not know them at all.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

The first Tomb Raider movie is enough to make me want West as far as possible from Bond.
    Not his finest hour.

It might have been a good movie, but it had nothing to do with the videogame, and that's my problem. If West showed no respect for Tomb Raider, he might show none for Bond.
    West isn't the only one to blame. Eidos Interactive greenlit the script and as far as I know they selected the crew and the writers. I put them to blame rather than West.

In an interview he said Lara had no house servant in the games, meaning he did not know them at all.
    Is he to be held at fault? The rest of the team doesn't count?

Brosnan whom I worship as Bond made an embarrassment out of himself in an interview miscounting and misconducting the chronology of the Bond books. Does that mean he's not to be summoned as a man worthy enough to be part of the series?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Not his finest hour.

Is he to be held at fault? The rest of the team doesn't count?

Brosnan whom I worship as Bond made an embarrassment out of himself in an interview miscounting and misconducting the chronology of the Bond books. Does that mean he's not to be summoned as a man worthy enough to be part of the series?

No, it was a silly mistake on his part.
  • M_Balje wrote: »
    That is an interesting read. I'm not surprised that this was deliberate and involved both Hoyte and Mendes. It's clear to me after several viewings that they were going for a particular surreal atmosphere and look with this film. It almost feels like viewing a 'painting'. I don't personally like it and feel it's not something suitable for Bond, but I recognize that it was a concerted decision, perhaps to emphasize the spectral atmosphere and premise.

Skyfall-1875.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I appreciate that kind of detail, but for a Bond film, it's utterly pretentious. [/quote]

Right. By all means let's knock Bond films for aspiring to something greater than popcorn and Pepsi Cola. SP's aesthetics were not only Bondian in spades, but genuinely artistic. Bully, I say, and bring on some more.
  • M_Balje wrote: »

Skyfall-1875.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I appreciate that kind of detail, but for a Bond film, it's utterly pretentious.

Right. By all means let's knock Bond films for aspiring to something greater than popcorn and Pepsi Cola. SP's aesthetics were not only Bondian in spades, but genuinely artistic. Bully, I say, and bring on some more. [/quote]

"Bondian in spades"?
    Yeah sure. Just as SP is a good and competently made movie.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Me if they don't announce Villeneuve next Thursday (official James Bond day):

tantrum.jpg
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Me if they don't announce Villeneuve next Thursday (official James Bond day):

tantrum.jpg

hitler-takes-off-glasses-o.gif
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll make the popcorn.
  • Roadphill wrote: »
    I am suprised no one seems to mention Matthew Vaughn or Guy Ritchie. Both solid directors who I believe would just want to make a great Bond film, not Oscar bait.

Vaughn would've been good but I think Kingsman will have written off his chances and I think he probably prefers it that way. He can basically do what he likes with those films no matter how insane. Not that I think he'd want to do Bond the way he does Kingsman (I think he'd know he'd need to approach it with a lot more restraint), but it's probably more fun being able to indulge all his insane fantasies than abide by certain rules. He would have been a good choice in Craig's early days imo, especially coming off Layer Cake.

Ritchie I really like but he's wrong for Bond imo. He should give us Rock n Rolla 2, Sherlock Holmes 2 or another Statham collab.

I'd really, really like Gareth Evans. The Raid films are brilliant and I think it's only a matter of time before some big studio snaps him up for a big blockbuster (he was one of the names rumoured for Assassin's Creed). I really want EON to get there before Marvel or Disney or WB or someone else gets a hold of him. Him and Nolan would be my top two choices but I think they'd be best saved for Bond 26. I'd really like Mendes or Campbell back for Craig's last but I know that's unlikely.
  • Probably not news, but it looks as though we can count out Sam Mendes for Bond 25. Baz has an article saying that Mendes will stick to theatre throughout 2018:

001 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    Bond 25 Production Diary: Craig reportedly 'keen' on Fake Moustaches
    q.png

Go Tigers.
    01-1855_l.jpg

yEgRUJ7.jpg

That looks terrific. :)
    Have you got anymore hidden gems like that one ?

Thank you. That's all I've got, I come up with things like these in the spur of the moment. ;)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,755
    Why is Bond Down Under reporting on Instagram that filming is rumored to kick off in Croatia this coming January? Did I miss something?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Why is Bond Down Under reporting on Instagram that filming is rumored to kick off in Croatia this coming January? Did I miss something?
    The Croatia rumors have resurfaced this past week, but I didn't bother posting them as we've seen it twice before. However, this is the first I'm hearing with regards to filming kicking off in January. Bond Down Under isn't a reliable source and this news is doubtful to begin with, so I wouldn't bother looking into it.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

Croatian News outlet reported it. I also saw James Bond Denmark's Twitter feed was reporting the same thing.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Why the flippin' heck would they film this January?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Croatian News outlet reported it. I also saw James Bond Denmark's Twitter feed was reporting the same thing.
    Interesting, I'll add it to the timeline later tonight.

@dominicgreene Like I said, it's very doubtful.
  • So much for Baz the Omniscient.

He only reported that Craig was lobbying for Villeneuve. He never reported Villeneuve had the job.
  • Until a distributor is in place, almost nothing about Bond 25 means *anything.*

Without a distributor, Bond 25 doesn't get into theaters.

Without a distributor, probably half of Bond 25's funding isn't in place.

The Eon-MGM announcement of a U.S. release date of November 2019 means almost nothing.

jake24 wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Interesting, I'll add it to the timeline later tonight.

@dominicgreene Like I said, it's very doubtful.

Suffice to say if they don't film in January, I will throw the biggest temper tantrum this forum has ever seen.

Skyfall-1875.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Right. By all means let's knock Bond films for aspiring to something greater than popcorn and Pepsi Cola. SP's aesthetics were not only Bondian in spades, but genuinely artistic. Bully, I say, and bring on some more. [/quote]

That would be fine, but SP's story and emotional intelligence resemble this amount of harmony:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Until a distributor is in place, almost nothing about Bond 25 means *anything.*

Without a distributor, Bond 25 doesn't get into theaters.

Without a distributor, probably half of Bond 25's funding isn't in place.

The Eon-MGM announcement of a U.S. release date of November 2019 means almost nothing.
    It's a good point. This is what I've always assumed. They announced the date to mark the territory. They did it 2 years before SP as well, although if I'm not mistaken at that point they announced more too, including Craig as the actor at the same time.
    I could almost see EON pushing B25 back another 2-3 years just to get Villeneuve and please Craig.
    EON would not make a release date announcement if they didn't have things in place. PERIOD
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    EON would not make a release date announcement if they didn't have things in place. PERIOD

I agree 100% let's stop being such drama kings and have faith that eon knows what they are doing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's my understanding that the primary decision maker on the distribution deal is MGM. At least based on what MGW said a few years back. According to his remarks at that time, they consult with EON but ultimately it's their deal because it affects other MGM releases in addition to Bond. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.
    According to this they are also planning to film in Japan and France

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/lifestyle/22382-james-bond-coming-to-dubrovnik-in-january-2018
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 5,767
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Man I hope they don't convince Mendes to come back.

They could do lot worse, to be honest.
    Yeah? Like what?

Roadphill wrote: »
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    From past discussions on this thread I understand that color grading has not much to do with the DOP, but with decisions of the director in post production.

The DOP has major say in the grade, especially a top name like Hoyte, and they work very closely with their director, and that would have been the case on SP. However in some (not all) of the TV world, more and more DOP's (many of them very good) are being ignored or walked over during the grading process by some producers and/or execs who seem to think they know better. A few DOP friends of mine feel it's deeply disrespectful and rather ignorant behaviour - but it's happening more and more.
    It´s interesting that you describe that distinction between film and tv. Someone else on this thread somewhere also said I believe he´s working in film production and knows several DOPs, and they wouldn´t have much to do with grading. So it´s helpful to learn from you that there are more possibilities.

Dennison wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Man I hope they don't convince Mendes to come back.

They could do lot worse, to be honest.
    Yeah? Like what?

Roadphill wrote: »
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    From past discussions on this thread I understand that color grading has not much to do with the DOP, but with decisions of the director in post production.

The DOP has major say in the grade, especially a top name like Hoyte, and they work very closely with their director, and that would have been the case on SP. However in some (not all) of the TV world, more and more DOP's (many of them very good) are being ignored or walked over during the grading process by some producers and/or execs who seem to think they know better. A few DOP friends of mine feel it's deeply disrespectful and rather ignorant behaviour - but it's happening more and more.

Van Hoytema: We wanted to make Mexico like an exotic, strange dream. We would literally wait for the sun to disappear, add smoke and shoot. We added a lot of smoke, because we really wanted to disperse the light, to make the air feel heavy. We shot in Mexico in [4-perf ] Super 35 with a combination of the 50 and 250 [stocks]. We tried to shoot everything in Mexico overcast, but we weren’t always successful; there are parts where the sun breaks out. We wanted to reserve direct sunlight for Morocco.

This is also worth a read

http://postperspective.com/quick-chat-co3-senior-colorist-greg-fisher-talks-spectre/

I think making a film look like a painting can be a fantastic idea. Blade Runner at manyplaces gives that impression. IMO it wasn´t executed properly in SP, which is surprising and disappointing, considering the massive talent involved.

Skyfall-1875.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I appreciate that kind of detail, but for a Bond film, it's utterly pretentious. [/quote]Most of all because it hampers the flow of the story instead of complimenting it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    the January date I assume is a typo-- the release date is Novemeber '19... So I assume shooting will begin Dec '18- Jan '19...
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 1,031
    peter wrote: »
    the January date I assume is a typo-- the release date is Novemeber '19... So I assume shooting will begin Dec '18- Jan '19...

If it's a typo then they're all making the same one

http://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/news/dubrovnik/item/3176-james-bond-coming-to-film-in-dubrovnik-in-january-2018

But this article is also claiming the Raymond Benson adaptation ...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2017 Posts: 8,554
    They seem to copy and paste all the time.

Edit: the rags in Toronto have copy and pasted all the rumours and added it will be called SHATTERHAND. So who knows anything other than we know nothing-- except for the date of release and the lead actor... and both of these things could also change.