No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Denis Villeneuve in talks to direct Cleopatra:

http://www.slashfilm.com/cleopatra-movie/
    Hmm, Pascal must know EON was eyeing Villeneuve.
  • Deadline have confirmed that Villeneuve is now out of contention for Bond 25:
    http://deadline.com/2017/09/cleopatra-denis-villenueve-director-blade-runner-2049-sony-pictures-epic-1202178276/

Villeneuve will direct Dune whilst developing Cleopatra. I'm excited for both those projects, but I really convinced myself over the last week that Denis would do Bond. I've a big Demange supporter - but Denis was always too good to be true.

I suppose we are now likely days away before we hear that Demange will be directing.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Strange that Bambigoye dropped his scoop a few days prior to this Deadline report. One wonders what the point of it was. Demange doesn't quite have the same marketing allure I'm afraid, no matter how good he may be.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Strange that Bambigoye dropped his scoop a few days prior to this Deadline report. One wonders what the point of it was. Demange doesn't quite have the same marketing allure I'm afraid, no matter how good he may be.

My guess is Bamigboye found out about it (Craig's support of Villeneuve) a short time before he wrote it up and didn't know about the Cleopatra angle.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Deadline have confirmed that Villeneuve is now out of contention for Bond 25:
    http://deadline.com/2017/09/cleopatra-denis-villenueve-director-blade-runner-2049-sony-pictures-epic-1202178276/

Villeneuve will direct Dune whilst developing Cleopatra. I'm excited for both those projects, but I really convinced myself over the last week that Denis would do Bond. I've a big Demange supporter - but Denis was always too good to be true.

I suppose we are now likely days away before we hear that Demange will be directing.

No, they really haven't.

"The expectation is 007 isn’t in the cards, and that he can work on Cleopatra while directing Dune."

This is purely speculatory just like some of the comments on this very thread. Nobody or nothing is ruled out at this stage as farvas we're concerned.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I have to say that both Dune and Cleopatra are very extensive projects fraught with risk (both have been massive failures in the past). It will be quite a challenge for any director, but perhaps very interesting endeavours to get involved with.

I seem to recall Villeneuve saying he wanted to take it easy and scale back after BR2047, or something along those lines. Something about really being challenged over the past few years with more extravagant projects and genres and needing to step back from it all.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think he said something like, he's made five films in six years, and needs a break
    I didnt think he would get the gig. Like I said he was qualified but EON usually wont go for someone who puts a hevay stamp on their films, i.e Villenvue, Tarantino, Spielberg, etc.

Starting to think Paul Mcguinan might get it as rumored.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Then i guess at this point demange is more likely.
    Here's where I read it:

"The problem right now, and something I want to change, I worked very fast. I did Prisoners, and then after that, in the past six years I have done five movies -- which is not a good idea! It's too fast. And I learned a lot, I learned so much, for the time now I need just a little time to digest. After Blade Runner, as I'm working on Dune, I would love to just digest and then come back with more energy for Dune with fresh ideas. I need that right now! And so I need distance a little bit."

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1632609/why-the-dune-remake-wont-happen-any-time-soon-according-to-its-director
    mattjoes wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    Bond 25 Production Diary: Craig reportedly 'keen' on Fake Moustaches
    q.png

Go Tigers.
    01-1855_l.jpg

yEgRUJ7.jpg

That looks terrific. :)
    Have you got anymore hidden gems like that one ?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Man I hope they don't convince Mendes to come back.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I keep thinking about the possible candidates on the table for B25 director...
    i-dont-like-any-of-these-people-shirt-3p.jpg
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    I hope Villeneuve is still in the running, I trust in Bamigboye. Otherwise Bond will have potentially lost a masterful director.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

They could do lot worse, to be honest.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,691
    Didn't Villeneuve also sign on to direct an adaption of a Jo Nesbø novel, The Son, with Jake Gyllenhaal?

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jake-gyllenhaal-denis-villeneuve-crime-movie-son-1201783411/

His schedule is getting busier by the minute if he gets the 'Cleopatra' gig as well.
    Cleopatra and Dune sound like colossal flops in the making.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,691
    Getafix wrote: »

So did a Blade Runner sequel when it was first officially confirmed to happen. ;)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited September 2017 Posts: 2,138
    Suprised Steven Soderbergh hasn't been linked with Dan having just done Logan Lucky with him. His Directorial pedigree is up there Erin Brockovich (Oscar best Director), Directed Ocean films, Traffic, 'Che' Guevara Biopic.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Deadline have confirmed that Villeneuve is now out of contention for Bond 25:
    WRONG. They wrote: "The expectation is 007 isn’t in the cards, and that he can work on Cleopatra while directing Dune." As for Cleopatra: how very boring. Villeneuve is now attached to 3 upcoming movies (Dune, The Son, Cleopatra), I would bet my life savings he won't end up directing all three of them. Why do successful directors attach themselves to more movies they can possibly handle all the time?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yep!
    Its a right mish-mash of contradictions atm ....but if i was Villeneuve i would ditch Dune and Cleopatra and go for Bond,those 2 'blockbusters' seem like a lot of money,time,and effort for little result.

Neither of those films look like audience winners,i cant see them bringing in the crowds.

Bond on the other hand...................
  • Getafix wrote: »

Mirrors my thoughts exactly.
    They just don't get any wiser in Hollywood, do they?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Villeneuve would be an idiot to do Cleopatra over Bond (if it came down to it) anyway. Who the heck even cares about that honestly? I guess they didn't learn from Ben-Hur.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    If it was up to me, I'd give the directing chair to Simon West.

Believe me, you don't want to do that. He's a very lazy director - I know many people who have worked with him and, let's just say, they have not been impressed. Con Air was a long time ago - but since then his track record is far from impressive.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 5,767
    TripAces wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

They could do lot worse, to be honest.
    Yeah? Like what?

Roadphill wrote: »
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    From past discussions on this thread I understand that color grading has not much to do with the DOP, but with decisions of the director in post production.

ColonelSun wrote: »

Believe me, you don't want to do that. He's a very lazy director - I know many people who have worked with him and, let's just say, they have not been impressed. Con Air was a long time ago - but since then his track record is far from impressive.
    Well, Expendables 2 wasn't too long ago. I thought that was a very decent action film.
  • So much for Baz the Omniscient.