No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• fjdinardo wrote: »
    EON would not make a release date announcement if they didn't have things in place. PERIOD

Pardon? They obviously haven't since otherwise we would get announcements in spades at that point in time.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    EON would not make a release date announcement if they didn't have things in place. PERIOD

Pardon? They obviously haven't since otherwise we would get announcements in spades at that point in time.

Obviously.

There's no need to make announcements right now. Patience
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883

I don't agree here. If they had something to announce in addition to a tentative placeholder release date, they would have. They are waiting on the distributor to make such announcements, because they have a say in aspects of production, being a co-financier.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    bondjames wrote: »

I don't agree here. If they had something to announce in addition to the release date, they would have. They are waiting on the distributor to make such announcements, because they have a say in aspects of production, being a co-financier.

I imagine they are trying to sell the a large package plans to distributors. I think they likely have the story and are now choosing between directors. Then depending on what the distributing studio wants that will be the final decision.
    Bentley007 wrote: »

I don't agree here. If they had something to announce in addition to the release date, they would have. They are waiting on the distributor to make such announcements, because they have a say in aspects of production, being a co-financier.

I imagine they are trying to sell the a large package plans to distributors. I think they likely have the story and are now choosing between directors. Then depending on what the distributing studio wants that will be the final decision.
    Agreed. The prospective director will likely have his own spin on things as well, so the longer this stretches out without a final call, the more changes & delays are likely to transpire - especially because the film landscape is changing as time moves on.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Throw another Director in to the mixer Gareth Edwards ,English born - shocked Hollywood with what he produced/directed Monsters, by using Bedroom level Acorbat AI software, produced the whole thing on a shoestring budget.

Did a great job on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Young, energetic and appears to get the Story/action balance right. has nothing on his schedule right now.

Gareth Edwards was pushed aside (although not fired) and replaced by Tony Gilroy (on about $200k a week) who directed the major, major re-shoots and re-cut of the Rogue One which editor Stuart Baird (CR, SF etc.) was brought on to oversee. I'm not saying Gareth Edwards is not talented and skilled because he is, but doing a huge budget studio picture like Star Wars or Bond is a whole new ballgame. I understand Godzilla had problems too - and personally I didn't think the film was up to much.

Not true. Edwards listened to an idea on set for the final act to make it tidier and speed it up as not to over work the audience with a tedious prolonged finale. It actually shows he has the guts to go for it if a better idea presents itself

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/rogue-one-director-film-ending-jyn-cassian-scarif-trailers-darth-vader-end-scene-a7630811.html
    Throw another Director in to the mixer Gareth Edwards ,English born - shocked Hollywood with what he produced/directed Monsters, by using Bedroom level Acorbat AI software, produced the whole thing on a shoestring budget.

Did a great job on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Young, energetic and appears to get the Story/action balance right. has nothing on his schedule right now.

Gareth Edwards was pushed aside (although not fired) and replaced by Tony Gilroy (on about $200k a week) who directed the major, major re-shoots and re-cut of the Rogue One which editor Stuart Baird (CR, SF etc.) was brought on to oversee. I'm not saying Gareth Edwards is not talented and skilled because he is, but doing a huge budget studio picture like Star Wars or Bond is a whole new ballgame. I understand Godzilla had problems too - and personally I didn't think the film was up to much.

Not true. Edwards listened to an idea on set for the final act to make it tidier and speed it up as not to over work the audience with a tedious prolonged finale. It actually shows he has the guts to go for it if a better idea presents itself

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/rogue-one-director-film-ending-jyn-cassian-scarif-trailers-darth-vader-end-scene-a7630811.html

That maybe the way it was presented, but Tony Gilroy took control with major re-writes and also directing, and Stuart Baird was also brought in to re-edit for a period.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,690
    1st reviews are being released in for Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049:

IGN: ''Blade Runner 2049 is a sequel that never should have happened, but it’s defied all odds to become one of the best ever''
    Villeneuve confirms he's in 'big talks' but says we'll see if schedule works out.
    http://radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1058520/denis-villeneuve-sortie-film-suite-blade-runner-2019
    James Bond 2049 probably
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,588
    antovolk wrote: »
    Villeneuve confirms he's in 'big talks' but says we'll see if schedule works out.
    http://radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1058520/denis-villeneuve-sortie-film-suite-blade-runner-2019

Did Villeneuve just confirm he was/is in the running?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    jake24 wrote: »

If that quote is true, he is definitely in major talks to take the director role. And by the sounds of it, there is optimism, so maybe it's a waiting game at this point. Villeneuve definitely wants to do it.

Time to change thread title?
  • NSGWNSGW London
    We would be so lucky to have a director of Villeneuve's calibre for Bond 25. I can't really see those other projects he's attached to coming together soon, if ever. I believe we have a solid chance of him coming on board but I don't think we'll get an announcement for a while yet although I hope I'm wrong of course.

With Global James Bond Day coming up, I was wondering have there been many other announcements made historically on this day in regards to the production of previous Bond films? How likely is it we will hear some, if any, Bond 25 related news on October 5th?
    He is definitely in the running along with Demange and MacKenzie based on that July article. Aren't these the only three names that have been mentioned in the past two to three months?
    NSGW wrote: »
    We would be so lucky to have a director of Villeneuve's calibre for Bond 25. I can't really see those other projects he's attached to coming together soon, if ever. I believe we have a solid chance of him coming on board but I don't think we'll get an announcement for a while yet although I hope I'm wrong of course.

With Global James Bond Day coming up, I was wondering have there been many other announcements made historically on this day in regards to the production of previous Bond films? How likely is it we will hear some, if any, Bond 25 related news on October 5th?
    NSGW wrote: »

Empire magazine have given BR 2049 a 5 star review. Is it too much to wish for?
  • M_Balje wrote: »
    That is an interesting read. I'm not surprised that this was deliberate and involved both Hoyte and Mendes. It's clear to me after several viewings that they were going for a particular surreal atmosphere and look with this film. It almost feels like viewing a 'painting'. I don't personally like it and feel it's not something suitable for Bond, but I recognize that it was a concerted decision, perhaps to emphasize the spectral atmosphere and premise.

I think the distinctive look of the film is one of its saving graces.

http://www.artofvfx.com/spectre-zave-jackson-vfx-supervisor-cinesite/

This is what you mean with painting look

Skyfall-1875.jpg

spectre-iimages-11-gallery.jpg

spectre_nightintro_original.jpg

Spectre_Cinesite_VFX_04B.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

I appreciate that kind of detail, but for a Bond film, it's utterly pretentious.

Right. By all means let's knock Bond films for aspiring to something greater than popcorn and Pepsi Cola. SP's aesthetics were not only Bondian in spades, but genuinely artistic. Bully, I say, and bring on some more.

"Bondian in spades"?
    Yeah sure. Just as SP is a good and competently made movie. [/quote]

Of course it's Bondian in spades. The PTS is archetypal Bond, as are Sciarra's funeral, and everything done in North Africa, with the innovative proviso that the sepia wash tones almost conjure up a 1930s aesthetic. Then too, nobody ever said that the Bond aesthetic must be perfectly static.
    FINALLY someone asked him about Bond! Thanks for posting the link!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

If that quote is true, he is definitely in major talks to take the director role. And by the sounds of it, there is optimism, so maybe it's a waiting game at this point. Villeneuve definitely wants to do it.

Time to change thread title?
    I would, but the wifi I'm on is poor at the moment. The last time I attempted to edit the thread on poor wifi, half of it disappeared and I had to rewrite it.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Man I hope they don't convince Mendes to come back.

They could do lot worse, to be honest.
    Yeah? Like what?

Roadphill wrote: »
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    From past discussions on this thread I understand that color grading has not much to do with the DOP, but with decisions of the director in post production.

The DOP has major say in the grade, especially a top name like Hoyte, and they work very closely with their director, and that would have been the case on SP. However in some (not all) of the TV world, more and more DOP's (many of them very good) are being ignored or walked over during the grading process by some producers and/or execs who seem to think they know better. A few DOP friends of mine feel it's deeply disrespectful and rather ignorant behaviour - but it's happening more and more.
    It´s interesting that you describe that distinction between film and tv. Someone else on this thread somewhere also said I believe he´s working in film production and knows several DOPs, and they wouldn´t have much to do with grading. So it´s helpful to learn from you that there are more possibilities.

Dennison wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Man I hope they don't convince Mendes to come back.

They could do lot worse, to be honest.
    Yeah? Like what?

Roadphill wrote: »
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    From past discussions on this thread I understand that color grading has not much to do with the DOP, but with decisions of the director in post production.

The DOP has major say in the grade, especially a top name like Hoyte, and they work very closely with their director, and that would have been the case on SP. However in some (not all) of the TV world, more and more DOP's (many of them very good) are being ignored or walked over during the grading process by some producers and/or execs who seem to think they know better. A few DOP friends of mine feel it's deeply disrespectful and rather ignorant behaviour - but it's happening more and more.

Van Hoytema: We wanted to make Mexico like an exotic, strange dream. We would literally wait for the sun to disappear, add smoke and shoot. We added a lot of smoke, because we really wanted to disperse the light, to make the air feel heavy. We shot in Mexico in [4-perf ] Super 35 with a combination of the 50 and 250 [stocks]. We tried to shoot everything in Mexico overcast, but we weren’t always successful; there are parts where the sun breaks out. We wanted to reserve direct sunlight for Morocco.

This is also worth a read

http://postperspective.com/quick-chat-co3-senior-colorist-greg-fisher-talks-spectre/
    That is an interesting read. I'm not surprised that this was deliberate and involved both Hoyte and Mendes. It's clear to me after several viewings that they were going for a particular surreal atmosphere and look with this film. It almost feels like viewing a 'painting'. I don't personally like it and feel it's not something suitable for Bond, but I recognize that it was a concerted decision, perhaps to emphasize the spectral atmosphere and premise.

I think making a film look like a painting can be a fantastic idea. Blade Runner at manyplaces gives that impression. IMO it wasn´t executed properly in SP, which is surprising and disappointing, considering the massive talent involved.

M_Balje wrote: »

http://www.artofvfx.com/spectre-zave-jackson-vfx-supervisor-cinesite/

This is what you mean with painting look

Skyfall-1875.jpg

spectre-iimages-11-gallery.jpg

spectre_nightintro_original.jpg

Spectre_Cinesite_VFX_04B.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

I appreciate that kind of detail, but for a Bond film, it's utterly pretentious.
    Most of all because it hampers the flow of the story instead of complimenting it.[/quote]

Heh. Hampers the flow of the story? How, pray tell?
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    "Ça serait un plaisir pour moi de faire un James Bond. Ce sont des amours de jeunesse. Ça va dépendre des horaires. Je vais voir."
    Looks like all he needs is a clear schedule. The problem is that he's got Dune and (possibly) Cleopatra on his upcoming slate. What's noteworthy is the point that the interviewer made; he didn't say no.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,588
    If it's Bond vs Cleopatra, Villeneuve will undoubtedly choose the former (any sane person would). All this Cleopatra business is likely Sony and/or Pascal making things difficult for EON/MGM.
    "Ça serait un plaisir pour moi de faire un James Bond. Ce sont des amours de jeunesse. Ça va dépendre des horaires. Je vais voir."
    Looks like all he needs is a clear schedule. The problem is that he's got Dune and (possibly) Cleopatra on his upcoming slate. What's noteworthy is the point that the interviewer made; he didn't say no.
    He won't say no though. He's a fan of the series. So while it's promising, it's really what we can expect at the moment. He's been approached and they're trying to work it out. Distributor will have a say no doubt. I would think this would more likely become a reality if Warner is involved. Villeneuve, Gassner, Deakins and Zimmer would be the dream ticket for me.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Speculation: he already knows that he is directing Bond 25, but he can't say so yet, because they are going to announce it next week, on global James Bond day. https://i.imgur.com/6ADLV4r.gifv
    Gassner's sets haven't been all that impressive, IMO. I wouldn't mind if someone else took over.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Seriously, who gives a damn about Cleopatra?

There's one masterful version with Elizabeth Taylor and that one tells the story perfectly. Who would have any interest in the character? Just go and watch the old one. It's as perfect as it can get.

What are they going to do with Cleopatra, again? Make a 300 out of it?

He won't say no though. He's a fan of the series. So while it's promising, it's really what we can expect at the moment. He's been approached and they're trying to work it out. Distributor will have a say no doubt. I would think this would more likely become a reality if Warner is involved. Villeneuve, Gassner, Deakins and Zimmer would be the dream ticket for me.

No distributor is going to argue against Villeneuve. They'll cream their pants if he signed onboard - not wishing to be crude, of course.
    Seriously, who gives a damn about Cleopatra?

There's one masterful version with Elizabeth Taylor and that one tells the story perfectly. Who would have any interest in the character? Just go and watch the old one. It's as perfect as it can get.

What are they going to do with Cleopatra, again? Make a 300 out of it?
    It's that time. Female heroines and all that jazz. PC.

No distributor is going to argue against Villeneuve. They'll cream their pants if he signed onboard - not wishing to be crude, of course.
    I agree. I was more referring to how easy it is to pull it together. Zimmer, Villeneuve, Gassner and Deakins are all involved with Bladerunner which is distributed by both Warner and Sony globally.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Gassner's sets haven't been all that impressive, IMO. I wouldn't mind if someone else took over.
    +1
    +1

Disagree, I think Gassner has done superb work on the Bonds - and is a great PD period.