No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

boldfinger wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Man I hope they don't convince Mendes to come back.

They could do lot worse, to be honest.
    Yeah? Like what?

Roadphill wrote: »
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    From past discussions on this thread I understand that color grading has not much to do with the DOP, but with decisions of the director in post production.

The DOP has major say in the grade, especially a top name like Hoyte, and they work very closely with their director, and that would have been the case on SP. However in some (not all) of the TV world, more and more DOP's (many of them very good) are being ignored or walked over during the grading process by some producers and/or execs who seem to think they know better. A few DOP friends of mine feel it's deeply disrespectful and rather ignorant behaviour - but it's happening more and more.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Throw another Director in to the mixer Gareth Edwards ,English born - shocked Hollywood with what he produced/directed Monsters, by using Bedroom level Acorbat AI software, produced the whole thing on a shoestring budget.

Did a great job on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Young, energetic and appears to get the Story/action balance right. has nothing on his schedule right now.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 1,031
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Yeah? Like what?

Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.
    From past discussions on this thread I understand that color grading has not much to do with the DOP, but with decisions of the director in post production.

The DOP has major say in the grade, especially a top name like Hoyte, and they work very closely with their director, and that would have been the case on SP. However in some (not all) of the TV world, more and more DOP's (many of them very good) are being ignored or walked over during the grading process by some producers and/or execs who seem to think they know better. A few DOP friends of mine feel it's deeply disrespectful and rather ignorant behaviour - but it's happening more and more.

Van Hoytema: We wanted to make Mexico like an exotic, strange dream. We would literally wait for the sun to disappear, add smoke and shoot. We added a lot of smoke, because we really wanted to disperse the light, to make the air feel heavy. We shot in Mexico in [4-perf ] Super 35 with a combination of the 50 and 250 [stocks]. We tried to shoot everything in Mexico overcast, but we weren’t always successful; there are parts where the sun breaks out. We wanted to reserve direct sunlight for Morocco.

This is also worth a read

http://postperspective.com/quick-chat-co3-senior-colorist-greg-fisher-talks-spectre/
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Dennison wrote: »

Yeah? Like what?

Van Hoytema: We wanted to make Mexico like an exotic, strange dream. We would literally wait for the sun to disappear, add smoke and shoot. We added a lot of smoke, because we really wanted to disperse the light, to make the air feel heavy. We shot in Mexico in [4-perf ] Super 35 with a combination of the 50 and 250 [stocks]. We tried to shoot everything in Mexico overcast, but we weren’t always successful; there are parts where the sun breaks out. We wanted to reserve direct sunlight for Morocco.

http://postperspective.com/quick-chat-co3-senior-colorist-greg-fisher-talks-spectre/
    That is an interesting read. I'm not surprised that this was deliberate and involved both Hoyte and Mendes. It's clear to me after several viewings that they were going for a particular surreal atmosphere and look with this film. It almost feels like viewing a 'painting'. I don't personally like it and feel it's not something suitable for Bond, but I recognize that it was a concerted decision, perhaps to emphasize the spectral atmosphere and premise.

I think the distinctive look of the film is one of its saving graces.
    Throw another Director in to the mixer Gareth Edwards ,English born - shocked Hollywood with what he produced/directed Monsters, by using Bedroom level Acorbat AI software, produced the whole thing on a shoestring budget.

Did a great job on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Young, energetic and appears to get the Story/action balance right. has nothing on his schedule right now.

Gareth Edwards was pushed aside (although not fired) and replaced by Tony Gilroy (on about $200k a week) who directed the major, major re-shoots and re-cut of the Rogue One which editor Stuart Baird (CR, SF etc.) was brought on to oversee. I'm not saying Gareth Edwards is not talented and skilled because he is, but doing a huge budget studio picture like Star Wars or Bond is a whole new ballgame. I understand Godzilla had problems too - and personally I didn't think the film was up to much.
    bondjames wrote: »

Yeah? Like what?

That is an interesting read. I'm not surprised that this was deliberate and involved both Hoyte and Mendes. It's clear to me after several viewings that they were going for a particular surreal atmosphere and look with this film. It almost feels like viewing a 'painting'. I don't personally like it and feel it's not something suitable for Bond, but I recognize that it was a concerted decision, perhaps to emphasize the spectral atmosphere and premise.

I have to say I think SP is a stunning looking film. I really enjoy the film as well, but it's not CR or SF and I can see why Craig may feel he needs another shot at a definitive final film for his tenure.
    I’m surprised that others here are surprised that Bamigboye‘s comment about Craig wanting Villeneuve for director duties on B25 was taken as some sort of cryptic message that he had in fact agreed to do it. Had Bamigboye stated that it was increasingly likely that Villeneuve would be confirmed in a few weeks or months, then I can understand the disappointment, but he never said that in his article. However, he did say that Villeneuve was one of “several” directors that Eon were interested in, for which Craig had expressed a personal preference for. And that’s all it ever really was - a preference. That’s not to say a deal still can’t be worked out between all parties, but with Villeneuve’s already overburdened diary, it’s looking increasingly unlikely.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I’m surprised that others here are surprised that Bamigboye‘s comment about Craig wanting Villeneuve for director duties on B25 was taken as some sort of cryptic message that he had in fact agreed to do it. Had Bamigboye stated that it was increasingly likely that Villeneuve would be confirmed in a few weeks or months, then I can understand the disappointment, but he never said that in his article. However, he did say that Villeneuve was one of “several” directors that Eon were interested in, for which Craig had expressed a personal preference for. And that’s all it ever really was - a preference. That’s not to say a deal still can’t be worked out between all parties, but with Villeneuve’s already overburdened diary, it’s looking increasingly unlikely.

To be honest it was what we already knew. We already knew that Villeneuve was in Eon's (and most likely DC's) sights for Bond 25 but was unlikely due to his commitments. We knew that weeks ago.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondsum wrote: »

To be honest it was what we already knew. We already knew that Villeneuve was in Eon's (and most likely DC's) sights for Bond 25 but was unlikely due to his commitments. We knew that weeks ago.
    So, he just recycled an old story with a new soul to keep the Bond stories in journalism alive and the public interest intact.
    In fairness to Bamigboye, Deadline merely states that Villeneuve is “in talks to direct Cleopatra” so this isn’t a confirmation either. His name is just the latest alongside Ang Lee, David Fincher and James Cameron, to be linked with the historical epic.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bamigboye never said Villeneuve was in stone, which is why I was sceptical from the beginning.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    If it was up to me, I'd give the directing chair to Simon West.

The first Tomb Raider movie is enough to make me want West as far as possible from Bond.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,451

I think the distinctive look of the film is one of its saving graces. [/quote]

http://www.artofvfx.com/spectre-zave-jackson-vfx-supervisor-cinesite/

This is what you mean with painting look

Skyfall-1875.jpg

spectre-iimages-11-gallery.jpg

spectre_nightintro_original.jpg

Spectre_Cinesite_VFX_04B.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Walecs wrote: »

The first Tomb Raider movie is enough to make me want West as far as possible from Bond.
    Not his finest hour.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Not his finest hour.

Craziness. That movie is pure enjoyment. Best video game adaptation ever.
    Minion wrote: »

Not his finest hour.

Oooh.....the only thing good in that film is Iain Glenn.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    M_Balje wrote: »

http://www.artofvfx.com/spectre-zave-jackson-vfx-supervisor-cinesite/

This is what you mean with painting look

Skyfall-1875.jpg

spectre-iimages-11-gallery.jpg

spectre_nightintro_original.jpg

Spectre_Cinesite_VFX_04B.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Yes. It has a sort of 'washed out' aesthetic. It had to have been deliberate, because it looks like no other Bond film before.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Not his finest hour.

Iain Glen is a great actor, but I felt his character was shite in it and ended like a shite. Lara is abnormally feminist in it who's depicted in the movie as "better than any man" person and is a disrespectful twat. Angelina Jolie was playing herself in it. Not Lara. Anybody can check the earlier games with Lara and see that she's far from being as arrogant as Jolie's version was. She's powerful and she can be dangerous, but that feminist hatred towards men and her so indestructible being seen in the film was never present in the games. Although, Underworld somewhat came close enough.

Not his finest hour.

Iain Glen is a great actor, but I felt his character was shite in it and ended like a shite. Lara is abnormally feminist in it who's depicted in the movie as "better than any man" person and is a disrespectful twat. Angelina Jolie was playing herself in it. Not Lara. Anybody can check the earlier games with Lara and see that she's far from being as arrogant as Jolie's version was. She's powerful and she can be dangerous, but that feminist hatred towards men and her so indestructible being seen in the film was never present in the games. Although, Underworld somewhat came close enough.

Thats my point,the film was so bad,Iain was the best thing in it...
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423

Not his finest hour.

Yep! The sequel was even worse.

So far, the only good film adaptation of any video game I've seen is the first Hitman film starring Timothy Oliphant. It could've been a lot better, but it's better than whatever we got later on with many game-to-movie releases.

Not his finest hour.

I didnt watch it luckily !!

Not his finest hour.

Some feminist fantasy girl making Gerard Butler her bitch? Yeah, okay. Reminds me of that all-female Expendables effort they tried to do.

Not his finest hour.

Some feminist fantasy girl making Gerard Butler her bitch? Yeah, okay. Reminds me of that all-female Expendables effort they tried to do.

Ow.....dodged a bullet there !!

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Not his finest hour.

It might have been a good movie, but it had nothing to do with the videogame, and that's my problem. If West showed no respect for Tomb Raider, he might show none for Bond.
    Well I guess we will all have to see if anything official is released on James Bond day then?!!! Roll on October 5th!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not his finest hour.

It might have been a good movie, but it had nothing to do with the videogame, and that's my problem. If West showed no respect for Tomb Raider, he might show none for Bond.
    West isn't the only one to blame. Eidos Interactive greenlit the script and as far as I know they selected the crew and the writers. I put them to blame rather than West.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited September 2017 Posts: 3,675
    EDIT: Wrong thread.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Not his finest hour.

No love for prime Angelina Jolie or baby Daniel Craig?

I won't defend the sequel, however. That one is pure trash.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I am suprised no one seems to mention Matthew Vaughn or Guy Ritchie. Both solid directors who I believe would just want to make a great Bond film, not Oscar bait.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883

Not his finest hour.

No love for prime Angelina Jolie or baby Daniel Craig?

I won't defend the sequel, however. That one is pure trash.
    Certainly no love for Craig from me. It was the only thing I'd seen him in prior to his announcement as Bond and I thought he was useless. Butler was far better in the sequel in my opinion. Jolie was easy on the eyes at that point and quite athletic, but the film did nothing for me. Glen was the best thing about it.