No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @ColonelSun, he's competing with Nolan for hottest director... and after BR...?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I found Gassner's designs really forgettable. They felt so average it could've been done by anybody else. I personally felt Rogue One: A Star Wars Story having more Bondian sets than Gassner's Bonds did. I'd rather they get the guy who did the set design for Rogue One.

Bond films have to have exotic set designs that are larger than life. I found these in the last three films lacking.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Gassner's sets haven't been all that impressive, IMO. I wouldn't mind if someone else took over.
    +1

Disagree, I think Gassner has done superb work on the Bonds - and is a great PD period.
    He's certainly very talented, but I still feel there's something missing. His sets lack a certain grandiose that made the Bond sets of old so special.
    I found Gassner's designs really forgettable. They felt so average it could've been done by anybody else. I personally felt Rogue One: A Star Wars Story having more Bondian sets than Gassner's Bonds did. I'd rather they get the guy who did the set design for Rogue One.

Bond films have to have exotic set designs that are larger than life. I found these in the last three films lacking.

Again, don't agree. Production design/art direction etc. has to serve the story and film's tone and style, and he's done that extremely well with his Bonds. And if Denis does Bond, then bet on Gassner being back.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 1,031
    I agree Gassner's work has been good, though not quite as good as Ken Adam's or Peter Lamont's - but they were both superb. Although the set in the crater with all the people on computers and where he shows the video of White's death is too reminiscent of Moonraker for me, with the slanting ceiling on both sides etc. Although Mendes may be more the culprit there with his insistence on homages!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, good for him. Although, I still stand by what I said and say his designs are forgettable. Out of the last three films, the only memorable Craig location I could think of is the Bregenz Opera, with the big eye being the significant thing. Otherwise, the only thing we got Gassner doing are underground tunnels and whatnot, which I wouldn't be able to identify because we have loads of films using generic locations as such. The old Bonds on the other hand are easily identifiable.
    Will certainly be keeping an eye out next week then on James Bond day. One can only hope we get something on October 5th?!!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    antovolk wrote: »
    Villeneuve confirms he's in 'big talks' but says we'll see if schedule works out.
    http://radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1058520/denis-villeneuve-sortie-film-suite-blade-runner-2019
    @antovolk Was there a part where he explicitly said he was in talks, or was that just an assumption on your part? Wasn't sure if I had missed it.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Until a distributor is in place, almost nothing about Bond 25 means *anything.*

Without a distributor, Bond 25 doesn't get into theaters.

Without a distributor, probably half of Bond 25's funding isn't in place.

The Eon-MGM announcement of a U.S. release date of November 2019 means almost nothing.
    It's a good point. This is what I've always assumed. They announced the date to mark the territory. They did it 2 years before SP as well, although if I'm not mistaken at that point they announced more too, including Craig as the actor at the same time.

That's right. The announcement also included Mendes' return. The main difference is there was a distributor (Sony) in place. Marvel had announced the same date for Ant-Man. But after the Bond 24/SPECTRE announcement, Ant-Man got moved up to the summer of 2015.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    It's my understanding that the primary decision maker on the distribution deal is MGM. At least based on what MGW said a few years back. According to his remarks at that time, they consult with EON but ultimately it's their deal because it affects other MGM releases in addition to Bond. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.

That's correct. That's what Wilson said.
  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    EON would not make a release date announcement if they didn't have things in place. PERIOD

Quantum of Solace was orginally announced for May 2, 2008 but was later changed to fall of 2008.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 3,164
    Villeneuve confirms he's in 'big talks' but says we'll see if schedule works out.
    http://radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1058520/denis-villeneuve-sortie-film-suite-blade-runner-2019
    @antovolk Was there a part where he explicitly said he was in talks, or was that just an assumption on your part? Wasn't sure if I had missed it.

There was definitely a part in the video interview (around 12 mins) where he says he's in talks with Barbara and DC

There was definitely a part in the video interview (around 12 mins) where he says he's in talks with Barbara and DC
    Oh, I'll have a look at that.
    bondjames wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    EON would not make a release date announcement if they didn't have things in place. PERIOD

Pardon? They obviously haven't since otherwise we would get announcements in spades at that point in time.

There's no need to make announcements right now. Patience
    I don't agree here. If they had something to announce in addition to a tentative placeholder release date, they would have. They are waiting on the distributor to make such announcements, because they have a say in aspects of production, being a co-financier.

All about timing my friend
  • fjdinardo wrote: »

Pardon? They obviously haven't since otherwise we would get announcements in spades at that point in time.

There's no need to make announcements right now. Patience
    I don't agree here. If they had something to announce in addition to a tentative placeholder release date, they would have. They are waiting on the distributor to make such announcements, because they have a say in aspects of production, being a co-financier.

All about timing my friend

A remark that sounds smart but actually isn't. Each and every one of the points @bondjames made is absolutely making sense, especially in the business kind of things. As long as Eon are missing half of their budget and someone who brings the film into the theaters nothing is really fixed. It's just that simple.

My French is abysmal, is there anyone who can translate the above interview?
    "Ça serait un plaisir pour moi de faire un James Bond. Ce sont des amours de jeunesse. Ça va dépendre des horaires. Je vais voir."
    Looks like all he needs is a clear schedule. The problem is that he's got Dune and (possibly) Cleopatra on his upcoming slate. What's noteworthy is the point that the interviewer made; he didn't say no.

So strange to read a fellow Quebecois talking about Bond as he might do one.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

It's Canadian French, but if no one else wants to then I can type some up tmrw when I have the time to do so. (And I only know normal French which is a bit rusty so honestly it'd be much better to have a mother tongue speaker translate it instead...)
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I am suprised no one seems to mention Matthew Vaughn or Guy Ritchie. Both solid directors who I believe would just want to make a great Bond film, not Oscar bait.

ritchie may have blown it with a string of duds. Vaughn is still possibly In with a chance although did he do kingst? Seems to be universally slated.

I think either could do a decent bond but need to rein in the tricksy directing and focus on telling a solid story.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ritchie hasn't impressed me with his filmography since the 'Sherlock Holmes' films. Got through roughly ten minutes of 'King Arthur' before shutting it off - a more gritty and grounded take was what I had expected, perhaps something akin to the aforementioned 'Holmes' movies, but the opening told me it's akin to the 'Clash of the Titans' remake which was awful.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.

Thank you. I was starting to think that I was the only one that wanted a director more experienced in action/action thrillers than drama.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.

Thank you. I was starting to think that I was the only one that wanted a director more experienced in action/action thrillers than drama.
    I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here again: That will only happen once Craig finally departs. He runs the show at the moment and drama is where it will be at while he resides in the role (his sensibilities dictate where they go for now). Villeneuve can structure action better than Mendes though. He will make it more tense, but the kind of thing we saw in CR or QoS requires a more action geared director (Campbell is still showing he has the goods in that department with The Foreigner trailer - the difference is clear).

It's Canadian French, but if no one else wants to then I can type some up tmrw when I have the time to do so. (And I only know normal French which is a bit rusty so honestly it'd be much better to have a mother tongue speaker translate it instead...)
    The interviewer says something about Bond at the very end. I wonder if @antovolk has a specific timeframe as to when Bond is discussed in the video?
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 787
    At least one review for Blade Runner is up, on the Guardian, and it's absolutely effusive. Sounds like a critical smash for Villeneuve.

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here again: That will only happen once Craig finally departs. He runs the show at the moment and drama is where it will be at while he resides in the role (his sensibilities dictate where they go for now). Villeneuve can structure action better than Mendes though. He will make it more tense, but the kind of thing we saw in CR or QoS requires a more action geared director (Campbell is still showing he has the goods in that department with The Foreigner trailer - the difference is clear).
    I wouldn´t mind a character-based thriller with little action at all, if it is all in and not spotted with bad humor and poor nostalgia that does fit neither the film nor Craig´s portrayal.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Just re-watched Prisoners.

I want Villeneuve. Now.

Will watch it when I can and try to find time to translate it.
    I know where to find a transcript (not a translation, but Google Translate do the job) if you want.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,554
    The Google translate on the page, accompanying the videos, says...

Rumors are rife about another project for the Quebec director, on 25 th James Bond. The actor embodying the famous British spy, Daniel Craig, has expressed the wish that Denis Villeneuve realizes the film. "It would be a pleasure for me to do a James Bond. They are youthful loves. It will depend on the timetable. I'll see, "he said.

Underlined sections are ones which would appear to be incorrectly translated.
    The truth transcript of the video is :

On lit [dans la presse] que James Bond vous veut. Avez vous parlé avec Craig directement ?

Je ne peux pas… Euh… Euh… Commenter ça non plus malheureusement, mais, mais oui, j’étais, je suis en relation avec Barbara Broccoli et puis Daniel Craig mais, c’est euh… Faut voir les horaires. C’est ça.

Vous auriez envie de faire un James Bond ?

Ça serait un plaisir, euh… Redoutable de faire un film… Parce que c’est, euh… Je dirais… C’est un… Personnage qui m’a accompagné dans, dans mon enfance, dans mon adolescence puis… Non ce serait, j’adorerais ça de faire un film de James Bond. Pour moi ça serait, sincèrement là, ça serait un pur plaisir. Parce que ce serait comme approcher le cinéma de manière complètement ludique, détaché de, cette part de responsabilité là avec laquelle, ce serait une autre forme de, de, travail pour moi. Ce serait juste du plaisir.

From : http://www.commander007.net/2017/09/bond-25-denis-villeneuve-envisage-realisateur/ If you don't understand all what is say, it is normal, we (french) also because Villeneuve isn't finish the phrases he start x)

He say also that the Dune remake will not likely happen before 5, 6 or 7 years.