No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Here it is IN PRINT:

"It’s true — I’ve been in discussions with (producer) Barbara Broccoli and (actor) Daniel Craig. It’s a magnificent project; I would love to do a James Bond, but I don’t know how it would fit with my current projects. We’ll have to see.”

http://montrealgazette.com/feature/denis-villeneuve-on-the-cutting-edge

Read with pleasure!!!!!!

If he is in "talks," it would seem to me that he's on board. Why even say he's "in talks" if there is any possibility he'd not do it or back out?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would be very, very pleased if Villeneuve is the man.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619

He say also that the Dune remake will not likely happen before 5, 6 or 7 years.
    So much for Dune getting released by the end of 2019. LOL. Anyway, excellent news!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If Dune is a life project that requires genius strategy to make a success out of it, it will take as many years as they come. Bond would be easier to do, so if I were Villeneuve, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to make my jump right at it before subverting to Dune or Cleopatra (of which the latter being completely pointless).
    Strange not long ago this thread was saying that Villeneuve was off now he's the most likely candidate.
    Opinions vary with the times.
    Why is Cleopatra pointless?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    For the same reason I don't see a Julius Caesar movie being made right now having any point. Ben-Hur already proved that.
    Strange logic.
    Life is stranger than fiction. ;)

But it's not a matter of opinion.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Elaborate, please.

Elaborate, please.

Whether Villeneuve is in or not has nothing to do with opinions we have of him but of the information we receive.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.

Thank you. I was starting to think that I was the only one that wanted a director more experienced in action/action thrillers than drama.
    I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here again: That will only happen once Craig finally departs. He runs the show at the moment and drama is where it will be at while he resides in the role (his sensibilities dictate where they go for now). Villeneuve can structure action better than Mendes though. He will make it more tense, but the kind of thing we saw in CR or QoS requires a more action geared director (Campbell is still showing he has the goods in that department with The Foreigner trailer - the difference is clear).

In that case, a change of actor can't come quick enough.

Elaborate, please.

Whether Villeneuve is in or not has nothing to do with opinions we have of him but of the information we receive.
    The information we have as of now and appear to be in discussion of it is based on speculation. And speculating comes from opinions whether some buy it or don't.

Now whether he is actually in or out, that's the one that isn't a matter of opinion. We're not discussing facts here.
    Well frankly, I am relieved. Villeneuve is a very good director, but we have had quite enough 'Oscar baiting' in the last two films. Time to get a solid director who is very capable at framing action scenes.

In another note, I hope they get a new DOP. Hoyte Van Hoytema made SP look as though he had doused the entire film in Coffee before developing it.

Thank you. I was starting to think that I was the only one that wanted a director more experienced in action/action thrillers than drama.
    I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here again: That will only happen once Craig finally departs. He runs the show at the moment and drama is where it will be at while he resides in the role (his sensibilities dictate where they go for now). Villeneuve can structure action better than Mendes though. He will make it more tense, but the kind of thing we saw in CR or QoS requires a more action geared director (Campbell is still showing he has the goods in that department with The Foreigner trailer - the difference is clear).

Given the uninspiring pool of candidates for his succession I can deal with Craig staying for Bond 25. Beside personal angle is a commonplace now in every franchise it's unlikely that a new Bond actor would change that trend.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    LTK (89)- personal
    GE (95)- personal
    TWINE (99)- personal (for both M and then Bond)
    DAD (02)- elements of personal (M doesn't trust Bond)

The personal angle's not new in this franchise; it's been going on for a very long time. It's just unfortunate that SP became the grandaddy of them all.

However, I think this has more to do with a troubled production than it does about the direction of the franchise.

Will Craig's last have elements of the personal-- absolutely. But I find it very hard to believe it'll come down like the sledgehammer known as SP.

Whether it's Villeneuve or Demange, or someone else, they're smart creative people. No one, from Babs, to DC, to whomever the director is, wants to make SP 2.0.

If there's a blueprint to this era's success, they will look at CR and SF. They will not look at SP, outside of story threads (Bond vs Blofeld in some capacity), for inspiration.
    Maybe not pointless but definitely not exciting. In fact, it might be the least exciting project Villeneuve could possibly choose right now. Don't do it, Denis!
    Cleopatra has already had a major remake

MV5BY2RkOTA0ZjUtM2M1Zi00ZGQ4LThiYzQtYjllOWQwNGRjZmQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgxOTIzNzk@._V1_.jpg
    Maybe not pointless but definitely not exciting. In fact, it might be the least exciting project Villeneuve could possibly choose right now. Don't do it, Denis!
    Agreed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Cleopatra can succeed. Anything can succeed if done properly

Conversely, a sure thing can fail or be critically panned.

It's all a matter of execution. Villeneuve is proving that he can execute with precision, which is why he is a high demand director. Cleopatra is a project that could truly benefit from a person with his skills.
    peter wrote: »
    If there's a blueprint to this era's success, they will look at CR and SF. They will not look at SP, outside of story threads (Bond vs Blofeld in some capacity), for inspiration.
    They will look to SF. That is their benchmark. It's a question of $ and cents, with Craig back.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

No action sequences in SP? Did either of you see the film?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @TripAces, it's not a question of having action, but rather how that action is put to screen and handled. I think that's what we're getting at. It's not about the money on the screen, the extravagance of the sequence, or the CGI. Rather, it's about the tension, the buildup, and the non linearity/ unpredictabilty of a scene for me. That's what a director versed in action can deliver. That's what differentiates the mundane from the exceptional in this realm. Give me the toilet fight, parkour sequence, the stairwell encounter, ball whacker or even the maligned Miami airport sequence in CR any day over anything in SP. The buildup to those sequences was just as important as the expert way the actual encounter was handled visually. It's a skill.

If you view any of the Korean film trailers which DaltonCraig007 posts in the 'Coming Soon' thread, you'll see what a real action director can deliver in terms of tension and thrills.
    peter wrote: »
    LTK (89)- personal
    GE (95)- personal
    TWINE (99)- personal (for both M and then Bond)
    DAD (02)- elements of personal (M doesn't trust Bond)

The personal angle's not new in this franchise; it's been going on for a very long time. It's just unfortunate that SP became the grandaddy of them all.

However, I think this has more to do with a troubled production than it does about the direction of the franchise.

Will Craig's last have elements of the personal-- absolutely. But I find it very hard to believe it'll come down like the sledgehammer known as SP.

Whether it's Villeneuve or Demange, or someone else, they're smart creative people. No one, from Babs, to DC, to whomever the director is, wants to make SP 2.0.

You forgot TND (Paris Carver) however poorly handled that was. Otherwise I agree with you.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    @TripAces, it's not a question of having action, but rather how that action is put to screen and handled. I think that's what we're getting at. It's not about the money on the screen, the extravagance of the sequence, or the CGI. Rather, it's about the tension, the buildup, and the non linearity/ unpredictabilty of a scene for me. That's what a director versed in action can deliver. That's what differentiates the mundane from the exceptional in this realm. Give me the toilet fight, parkour sequence, the stairwell encounter, ball whacker or even the maligned Miami airport sequence in CR any day over anything in SP. The buildup to those sequences was just as important as the expert way the actual encounter was handled visually. It's a skill.

If you view any of the Korean film trailers which DaltonCraig007 posts in the 'Coming Soon' thread, you'll see what a real action director can deliver in terms of tension and thrills.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of action itself, it's the buildup that makes it exciting.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I think if Denis does sign on it will be a clear sign that the script will be up to scratch.

He has said in the interviews for promoting BR 2049 that it was the script that got him there and if it hadn't been compelling enough or justifiable enough to warrant a return to the story he wouldn't have signed on.

There is no chance that he would have joined Bond on the strength of the SP script and the stage it was at when they started filming it.

I think if he does take it on it will mean that P&W outline will have been passed onto someone who has fashioned it into something that he can bring something new to the table and not just a continuation of what came before.

It seems looking at the raves that BR 2049 and they are pretty extraordinary, reviews are saying it's either equal or surpasses Ridley's original.

It could be said and it has in this thread already that DV signing on would be a rather unexciting progression from BR 2049 to do this but if he does I imagine he'll go all in and not slum it one bit, he has one of the most impressive track records of any director since the devastating Incendies, I doubt he'd sign on with EON for the pay check and easy time of it.

The thing is Bond films are some of the most expensive and huge productions out there, they cost more than comic book films and they are a huge undertaking. I'd say after delivering BR 2049 DV is in a better place to take on Bond 25 than any director who has worked on the DC era.

I'm not bargaining on it but it looks more likely now after hearing what he said. I'd love it because he's one of the most exciting directors around and I think he would sate those people out there wanting action in a Bond film, he seems very preocupied with it and that Border crossing sequence in Sicario shows he can build suspense, if he team with Deakins again then I'll be very excited for the results.

Also I seriously hope Bond doesn't return to generic action directors and makes just action fueled entries, there are plenty of those in the series. Drama and action can go hand in hand and DV I think could deliver unlike any of his predecessors have done in the DC era so far.

I seriously can't wait for next Saturdays IMAX screening of BR 2049.

• edited September 2017 Posts: 4,600
    IF...IF ..BR2049 is as good as the first reviews indicate, then it shows that he can work within an existing framework/heritage , respect that whilst at the same time, adding something meaningful and fresh to it.

Of course, that's exactly what we need for Bond. If BR does turn out to be a masterpiece but DV does not direct, it really does add pressure on whoever does get the job as many fans will be imagining the Bond movie that DV would have directed and, in a few years, it will be another part of the "missed opportunies" thread.

I really do hope they can make a deal as Bond, at this stage, really does need a great director who can do something special rather than a journeyman. People with DV's talent and experience don't grow on trees.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    Just re-watched Prisoners.

I want Villeneuve. Now.

I think he's married.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @patb. They should leave nothing unturned to get DV. He's a master visual-storyteller. To score him would be a definite game-changer.

The idea of DV is exciting; the thought the producers could ever go back to SM should now be buried. Even if they lose out on DV, it's obvious they are looking for something a little more exciting than came last time.

Unfortunately I think SM really only had one Bond film in him. Returning to the well was a mistake.
  • peter wrote: »

Unfortunately I think SM really only had one Bond film in him. Returning to the well was a mistake.

I agree. In retrospect it seems Sam shot his bolt with SF and it was probably unwise to hope that lightning would strike twice.

On the other hand, EON have about 1 billion reasons to disagree with us. . .