No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    peter wrote: »
    No @Creasy47 , this was the gentleman known as @ColonelSun . I know him, we keep in contact every week. He’s the real deal.

But the know-it-alls always know better.

What is your profile picture??
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    "Dad, what'd you think of my recital?"

"Sorry darling, I had to immediately bail for more pressing matters - James Bond was in town!"

My daughter would actually be angry if I didn’t leave to go see DC
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 684
    @jake24 and whoever else lives in Toronto: I just got a text from a buddy who is a bartender at the Drake Hotel.

He is presently serving Daniel Craig drinks. This is not a joke!
    And he's a bartender no less? Tell him to ply Craig with free drinks till Craig can't help but answer any and all questions about B25. We'll all pitch in to cover the tab.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Isn't it all but confirmed (or perhaps officially confirmed and I missed it) that Annapurna is going to handle the domestic distribution?

No, it's not confirmed. People thought that was the case when Deadline Hollywood had a story to that effect in November. But, more recently, The Hollywood Reporter, came out with a story saying there had been a delay because MGM is trying to sell itself.
    Yes that is correct. I look forward to seeing if Annapurna eventually get it, and continue to hold out hope that they won't.
    RC7 wrote: »
    That reminds me... Ralph Fiennes is playing Moriarty in Will Ferrell's Sherlock Holmes parody. So we have two Moriarty's in a Bond film.

As cliched as it is, I think I’d rather have seen Fiennes as a villain in a single film. He probably would have made a decent fist of the OHMSS Blofeld (novel).
    I believe the rumour back in 2011 was that he was going to play Blofeld when he was almost confirmed to be cast.

Yeah, he vetoed it. Thankfully.
    No, Fiennes was never going to play Blofeld. What he vetoed was the idea that M should turn out to be Blofeld's mole within MI6 (thus was the character "C" created).
    Unlike others, I think Fiennes messed up here, particularly if he's not back for B25. I wouldn't have minded him as the mole, although I recognize that the film would have been even more reminiscent of MI:RN than it was if that had been the case. Anything to avoid the presence of that useless 'c'.
    Strog wrote: »
    @jake24 and whoever else lives in Toronto: I just got a text from a buddy who is a bartender at the Drake Hotel.

He is presently serving Daniel Craig drinks. This is not a joke!
    And he's a bartender no less? Tell him to ply Craig with free drinks till Craig can't help but answer any and all questions about B25. We'll all pitch in to cover the tab.

+1
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @TripAces -- your daughter is more understanding than mine! She's a competitive dancer at one the premiere arts high school here in the city. It was an absolutely wonderful show and actually had a calming effect on me (I was so pumped with the news that I was a little beside myself). Once the show started I knew and accepted I probably lost my opportunity, and my daughter (and her company)'s beautiful performance was worthy of a missed meeting with 007.

I love my kids more than Daniel Craig (but not by much).

By the time the show ended, he had long since left, and I will get the scoop on everything tomorrow.

All I know right now is literally this: Around 6 p.m. my buddy (actually his GF's closer to my wife), turned around and, sitting at the bar was Daniel Craig. I have no idea what he ordered or why he is in town-- I'm wondering since he didn't make the TIFF premiere of KINGS if he owed the producers a mini-promotional tour? I was told he's a really quiet and friendly and polite guy...

I will get more tomorrow.

The kicker of all of this: The Drake is a ten minute walk from where I live. If it was on any other night, I would have been there.

So now I told my family to leave me alone while I sulk, get drunk on vodka , and watch SF.
    This is one sad story. :( As Nick Nack would say... "so near, yet so far."
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    @TripAces -- your daughter is more understanding than mine! She's a competitive dancer at one the premiere arts high school here in the city. It was an absolutely wonderful show and actually had a calming effect on me (I was so pumped with the news that I was a little beside myself). Once the show started I knew and accepted I probably lost my opportunity, and my daughter (and her company)'s beautiful performance was worthy of a missed meeting with 007.

By the time the show ended, he had long since left, and I will get the scoop on everything tomorrow.

All I know right now is literally this: Around 6 p.m. my buddy (actually his GF's closer to my wife), turned around and, sitting at the bar was Daniel Craig. I have no idea what he ordered or why he is in town-- I'm wondering since he didn't make the TIFF premiere of KINGS if he owed the producers a mini-promotional tour? I was told he's a really quiet and friendly and polite guy...

The kicker of all of this: The Drake is a ten minute walk from where I live. If it was on any other night, I would have been there.

So now I told my family to leave me alone while I sulk, get drunk on vodka , and watch SF.

I live in Buffalo, NY. Literally a 2 hour ride from Toronto. I was at the Drake Hotel back in March... I may sulk into some vodka as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,255
    @mattjoes — you’re right. It is a sad story... my favourite 007 since Connery is ten minutes from my house... and when I found this out, I was going in the opposite direction.

F & Me with no lube, it hurts.

But...

I love ❤️ my kids
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

I live in Buffalo, NY. Literally a 2 hour ride from Toronto. I was at the Drake Hotel back in March... I may sulk into some vodka as well.

@peter : My daughter is a dancer, too.

@DonnyDB5 I know your area well: my wife is from Williamsville. :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @TripAces , then your daughter is far more understanding than mine: screw meeting 007, I’m dancing! She’s almost 15. The world revolves around her, not on her daddy’s crush, lol.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,243
    If I could ask Craig just one thing, it’d probably be what is your favorite Bond film you did.

He’s probably tell me Bond 25 will be his best :) or say ask me after Bond 25 haha.

Sad story @peter :(
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I have a theory: Craig was in Canada on a mission to track down and eliminate those responsible for the recent James Bond opera. I wish him well in his efforts. :D
    @Peter - go and have breakfast there.
    There's an awful lot of newspapers (Evening Standard, The Express) claiming that Bond 25 is going to be delayed after news broke that Daniel Craig is going to be a father again and won't want to be away from his wife & child. Do you think this is true? Is the release date of November 2019 now going to be missed or just tabloid bs?
    SonofSean wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of newspapers (Evening Standard, The Express) claiming that Bond 25 is going to be delayed after news broke that Daniel Craig is going to be a father again and won't want to be away from his wife & child. Do you think this is true? Is the release date of November 2019 now going to be missed or just tabloid bs?
    My take: I don't think it's entirely b/s. It's the media rationale that's b/s.

So in my opinion, there is a 'possibility' that B25 could be delayed, but I can only see that occurring if MGM is acquired, and for no other reason. Certainly not Craig's kid.

If there is no acquisition, then I fully expect B25 to be delivered in 2019 in order to benefit MGM shareholders.

It will be business that will drive this either way imho. Pure and simple.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 252
    Pls bring Ramin Djawadi for Bond 25, he's a genius

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I've been championing Ramin Djawadi for years but I'm not convinced EoN have the foresight to consider bringing him in board.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Fully agree on Djawadi and I've been an advocate in the past as well. It's a no brainer. Same goes for Desplat.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I've been championing Ramin Djawadi for years but I'm not convinced EoN have the foresight to consider bringing him in board.

I’m not sure how much foresight one needs to hire an established composer. There’s no doubt his name will have been kicked about, but the opportunity hasn’t been there. If Boyle is directing I think it’s safe to assume he’ll be a frontrunner.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No @Creasy47 , this was the gentleman known as @ColonelSun . I know him, we keep in contact every week. He’s the real deal.

But the know-it-alls always know better.

What is your profile picture??

Don t you mean profet picture?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I’m not sure how much foresight one needs to hire an established composer. There’s no doubt his name will have been kicked about, but the opportunity hasn’t been there. If Boyle is directing I think it’s safe to assume he’ll be a frontrunner.

Front runner? Doubt it. EoN for the most part like to stick to their safe options which is why i think its more likely Arnold will return (not that I'll have a major problem with this) before Djawadi is even remotely considered. They've had years and more than enough opportunities to look at alternative talent; this is especially so with the story/writing talent but it's always back to the same dry well as usual. Boyle and his writer are a welcome breath of fresh air and the only positive thing linked to Bond 25 for me at the moment. Hopefully more pleasant surprises will be attributed to this film.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Boyle and his writer are a welcome breath of fresh air and the only positive thing linked to Bond 25 for me at the moment. Hopefully more pleasant surprises will be attributed to this film.
    Very much agreed and like you I'm anxiously hopeful for some further interesting twists before we see the next film.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Just listening to those three clips I would say no and prefer to see Arnold back. That’s not to say he doesn’t have other stuff that I would say yes to but I don’t know his work. Barry was colorful, brash, romantic and atmospheric, as Bond should be. They should steer clear of somber and dreary, both tonally and musically. Even Barry’s score for sad moments had a romanticism to them as Arnold copied for CR. Just think of SP and the dour tone supported (if not created)by Newman’s score at times
    I'm willing to bet Arnold won't be back. I should think Ramin Djawadi is a front runner, but it'll come down to scheduling, which is why it's far too early to be discussing composers at this stage.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837

Front runner? Doubt it. EoN for the most part like to stick to their safe options which is why i think its more likely Arnold will return (not that I'll have a major problem with this) before Djawadi is even remotely considered. They've had years and more than enough opportunities to look at alternative talent; this is especially so with the story/writing talent but it's always back to the same dry well as usual. Boyle and his writer are a welcome breath of fresh air and the only positive thing linked to Bond 25 for me at the moment. Hopefully more pleasant surprises will be attributed to this film.

I think if they're letting Boyle bring on his own writer he'll have his pick for the composer too. They let Mendes bring Newman back even after they clashed with him on SF.

You could say Mendes might have put them off giving that much control to a director but I don't think they'd have gone for another big name (I'd say Boyle is even more famous than Mendes, who I hadn't actually heard of before SF) if that were true.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A Ramin Djawadi score for Bond? Yeah, you can count me in for that. I've loved his work in the HBO series I've caught thus far, could see some of those tracks translating real well to Bond.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Pls bring Ramin Djawadi for Bond 25, he's a genius

This is quite magnificent. If he can do this with a Nirvana track he should be able to quite readily incorporate a Bond title song from anyone into the score.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Fully agree on Djawadi and I've been an advocate in the past as well. It's a no brainer. Same goes for Desplat.
    Djawadi and Desplat are both very much like Newman in that they did some outstanding work with quieter pieces, but have no real idea how to score action scenes. So I´d use my brain very carefully before hiring one of them for Bond.

boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Djawadi and Desplat are both very much like Newman in that they did some outstanding work with quieter pieces, but have no real idea how to score action scenes. So I´d use my brain very carefully before hiring one of them for Bond.
    Honestly, I've seen plenty of evidence that they could both do action scenes far better than the jokers they've had on the Bond job since Barry retired. They know about melody, mood and tension and how to create atmosphere and pace.