No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

boldfinger wrote: »
    Djawadi and Desplat are both very much like Newman in that they did some outstanding work with quieter pieces, but have no real idea how to score action scenes.

How about that?

• peterpeter Toronto
    ...waiting on an update from my buddy who served DC yesterday-- meanwhile, Holy Crap, that Heart Shaped Box was powerful... bring this guy on. That was an incredible piece...
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    TripAces wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @TripAces -- your daughter is more understanding than mine! She's a competitive dancer at one the premiere arts high school here in the city. It was an absolutely wonderful show and actually had a calming effect on me (I was so pumped with the news that I was a little beside myself). Once the show started I knew and accepted I probably lost my opportunity, and my daughter (and her company)'s beautiful performance was worthy of a missed meeting with 007.

I love my kids more than Daniel Craig (but not by much).

By the time the show ended, he had long since left, and I will get the scoop on everything tomorrow.

All I know right now is literally this: Around 6 p.m. my buddy (actually his GF's closer to my wife), turned around and, sitting at the bar was Daniel Craig. I have no idea what he ordered or why he is in town-- I'm wondering since he didn't make the TIFF premiere of KINGS if he owed the producers a mini-promotional tour? I was told he's a really quiet and friendly and polite guy...

I will get more tomorrow.

The kicker of all of this: The Drake is a ten minute walk from where I live. If it was on any other night, I would have been there.

So now I told my family to leave me alone while I sulk, get drunk on vodka , and watch SF.

I live in Buffalo, NY. Literally a 2 hour ride from Toronto. I was at the Drake Hotel back in March... I may sulk into some vodka as well.

@peter : My daughter is a dancer, too.

@DonnyDB5 I know your area well: my wife is from Williamsville. :)

@TripAces Small world!
    ...waiting on an update from my buddy who served DC yesterday-- meanwhile, Holy Crap, that Heart Shaped Box was powerful... bring this guy on. That was an incredible piece...

@peter Wonder what (if any) information your friend obtained?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    waiting for him to call/text me. As you know @DonnyDB5, the Drake is a hip joint. A lot of stars stop by when they're shooting in town, and it is a hub of activity during the Toronto Film Festival.

This guy's used to seeing actors, so I'm sure it was all very professional and superficial on his part since they're trained not to be star-struck dopes (like I would have been if I skipped out on my daughter!).

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    Fully agree on Djawadi and I've been an advocate in the past as well. It's a no brainer. Same goes for Desplat.
    Djawadi and Desplat are both very much like Newman in that they did some outstanding work with quieter pieces, but have no real idea how to score action scenes. So I´d use my brain very carefully before hiring one of them for Bond.

Disagree with you about Djawadi not being able to score action. His work for action scenes alone for GoT dumps all over most if not all the action beats in the Bond films. Hard home, battle of the bastards, spoils of war, field of fire, bastard, feed the hounds...there's a long list.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Wild Theory:

Over the last week, CinemaCon was on last week and Yann Demange's new film White Boy Rick was presented. According to Matthew McConaughey, Demange was too busy to attend.

On Demange's Instagram you can see that he is in London and was in Hyde Park last week. Hyde Park is adjacent to Eon's offices.

Could Demange be the director again? Was Boyle just using Bond to get his Beatles movie together quickly. Perhaps the studio were hesitant with the financing or his deal, so Boyle entered talks with Eon as a ploy to get the other studio to pony up for the musical?

Hence, Demange's return?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    doubleoego wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Fully agree on Djawadi and I've been an advocate in the past as well. It's a no brainer. Same goes for Desplat.
    Djawadi and Desplat are both very much like Newman in that they did some outstanding work with quieter pieces, but have no real idea how to score action scenes. So I´d use my brain very carefully before hiring one of them for Bond.

Disagree with you about Djawadi not being able to score action. His work for action scenes alone for GoT dumps all over most if not all the action beats in the Bond films. Hard home, battle of the bastards, spoils of war, field of fire, bastard, feed the hounds...there's a long list.

Most, maybe. But certainly not all. African Rundown is a masterpiece.

I'd be up for Djawadi taking on Bond though. It could go one of two ways, however - we could get stuff like what we've seen before or we could end up with scores like Djawadi used to throw out. Iron Man, Safe House, Prison Break, etc. all pulled from the Zimmer school of action scoring. Overuse of string ostinatos, interspersed with brass swells and electronic percussion.

He has it in him as the examples above show, but he has done a lot of stuff that could suggest he would produce an equally unsuitable Bond score.

It would nevertheless be interesting and a bit more raw then the rather subdued Newman scores.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

@peter Wonder what (if any) information your friend obtained?

I hope he put truth serum in his drink, and had him spill the beans on EVERYTHING: Have they thought of names for the kid, is Rachel good in bed, his favourite Disney film, his shoe size. Um, can t think of more.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    No @Creasy47 , this was the gentleman known as @ColonelSun . I know him, we keep in contact every week. He’s the real deal.

But the know-it-alls always know better.

What is your profile picture??

Don t you mean profet picture?

You are so weird.
    Why did you change the picture?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    No @Creasy47 , this was the gentleman known as @ColonelSun . I know him, we keep in contact every week. He’s the real deal.

But the know-it-alls always know better.

What is your profile picture??

Don t you mean profet picture?
    You are so weird.
    Why did you change the picture?
    You'll really warm up to him. It's the Thunderfingerian sense of humour, old boy. ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ok, got word, and nothing to add to last night's events: DC came into the Drake with a friend. Very low-key, very friendly, very polite. Had a coupla pints and was on his way. No airs about him.

While he was there, a fight broke out beside him. He placed his drink on the bar. Excused himself to his friend. Turned. Locked an arm-bar on one of the combatants. Gave the other a kick in the gut-- which obviously sent him flying over several tables.

Still locking the first combatant in an arm bar, Daniel Craig head-butted him with such force, he broke the guy's nose. Blood was everywhere.

Daniel was sitting back on his stool, drink in hand and continued his conversation before the guy hit the ground.

A patron looked at my bartender-friend, and with raised eyebrows, he nodded at Craig saying, "I'll have what he's having"...

(admission: this last part didn't happen)
    Seems to me Danny Boy was at the right place at the right time to show his tough side. ;)
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Wild Theory:

Over the last week, CinemaCon was on last week and Yann Demange's new film White Boy Rick was presented. According to Matthew McConaughey, Demange was too busy to attend.

On Demange's Instagram you can see that he is in London and was in Hyde Park last week. Hyde Park is adjacent to Eon's offices.

Could Demange be the director again? Was Boyle just using Bond to get his Beatles movie together quickly. Perhaps the studio were hesitant with the financing or his deal, so Boyle entered talks with Eon as a ploy to get the other studio to pony up for the musical?

Hence, Demange's return?

I can't see boyle using bond 25 as a ploy for his beatles film at all it just doesn't add up why would John Hodge go through the trouble to write a script with the knowledge that it will never be used? I think boyle is truly locked in
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Wild Theory:

Hence, Demange's return?

I can't see boyle using bond 25 as a ploy for his beatles film at all it just doesn't add up why would John Hodge go through the trouble to write a script with the knowledge that it will never be used? I think boyle is truly locked in
    I don't think it's a ploy. I genuinely think there are two scripts and approaches on the table, and the final decision is yet to be made. What is the hold up? I have no idea, but it could be acquisition or distributor based (and these are not necessarily the same thing). What I'm saying is that there could be a script which could be subject to acquirer and/or distributor approval/signoff and one which is not, and which will be used if there is no acquisition. There are quite possibly a lot of moving parts in the equation still at play.

Craig and Boyle have both sort of punted recently when asked whether the Boyle/Hodge deal is a done deal, although they've acknowledged it. This suggests to me that there is still a hold up somewhere.

Could Demange still be in the picture? Possibly.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

Another quantum post from Olga maybe she really is hinting at her return
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Very unlikely imho.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    She shares shots from other films she's been in, so I also doubt it, as nice as it'd be to have her return.
    Would love for her to return.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    She shares shots from other films she's been in, so I also doubt it, as nice as it'd be to have her return.

This.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I like qos but it coulda shields been a Bigga betta movie.

that's not a criticism of forster. I think he did a decent job.

in my book qos and sf are both flawed but qos is still > sf
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Olga returning would be a very positive signal for me - and pleas Jeffrey Wright. Even if Olga would be seen in the PTS, only it would be great.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »

It’s just not. Pretentiousness aside, SF is still head and shoulders above QoS - A largely aimless follow up to a classic vs. SF - A divisive, but consistent vision. SF entertains and riles people in equal measure, which I think is great. The response is very emotional. With QoS it’s the opposite. A few people rate it, but it’s just incredibly vanilla. The only decent bits are largely superficial, where it’s predecessor and successor deliver some meat.

Oh please no. EON needs to never go back to QOS
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Djawadi and Desplat are both very much like Newman in that they did some outstanding work with quieter pieces, but have no real idea how to score action scenes.

How about that?

Good example of the problems I mentioned.

Newman has no idea how to score action scenes?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pJOm2mRHDE0
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Newman's finest action music. ;)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik
    Murdock wrote: »
    =))

Spot on, Captain.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

It’s just not. Pretentiousness aside, SF is still head and shoulders above QoS - A largely aimless follow up to a classic vs. SF - A divisive, but consistent vision. SF entertains and riles people in equal measure, which I think is great. The response is very emotional. With QoS it’s the opposite. A few people rate it, but it’s just incredibly vanilla. The only decent bits are largely superficial, where it’s predecessor and successor deliver some meat.

It is certainly divisive, but just as certain it has no consistent vision. That’s only something some people kid themselves, just as the with the supposed character arc.

Vanilla??? Sure!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Murdock wrote: »
    =))