No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited April 2017 Posts: 732
    I don't think so anymore. There was clear hope when we heard about the helicopter deal and P&W are back to create a script (regardless if that's a good or bad idea) but right now I think we are about 12 months away from real news and 2.5 years to a new Bond adventure. Filming won't start this year but maybe next year as earliest and November 2019 sound most likely now.
    Page Six: Daniel Craig will return as 007 as Tom Hiddleston is ruled out

daniel-craig.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300

http://pagesix.com/2017/04/03/daniel-craig-ready-for-more-007-after-slash-my-wrist-diss/

This makes perfect sense – I imagine the new script has a solid sense of identity and it’s enough for Craig to commit for a final outing. I also guess Bond 25 will focus on “Bond’s place in the world, post-Brexit and Trump.” So, with that in mind, I think we all know that the next announcement is Sam Mendes returning to direct……..

Page Six: Daniel Craig will return as 007 as Tom Hiddleston is ruled out

daniel-craig.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300

http://pagesix.com/2017/04/03/daniel-craig-ready-for-more-007-after-slash-my-wrist-diss/

This makes perfect sense – I imagine the new script has a solid sense of identity and it’s enough for Craig to commit for a final outing. I also guess Bond 25 will focus on “Bond’s place in the world, post-Brexit and Trump.” So, with that in mind, I think we all know that the next announcement is Sam Mendes returning to direct……..

I think they need to rewrite the first sentence

'After saying he’d rather “slash my wrists” than do a final Bond movie ...'

That actually says that he never wants to do a final Bond movie! I.e. he'd rather slash his wrists than ever stop playing the part!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Are any of these sources reliable platforms for news?
    I will await something official as always. Silly season between Bond and the press never stops or fails to surprise me with some of the stuff they put out there!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I'll take it with a pinch of salt. The article makes many claims that already scream inaccurate, capitalizes on the "slashing wrists" comment that's taken out of context, yet ignores Craig's claim that he'll "terribly miss" being 007 and that he's "got the best job in the world."

Alas, the Tom Hiddleston being "considered" for the role by the producers claim alone just screams forged report to me, right from the start. It's just a story giving the magazines something to give the public to read and speculate out of nowhere and with no strongholds.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,083
    It's kinda obvious at first glance that they are stretching the few bits of information they have to make it seem more like news. They even mention Othello, and I'm not sure how a "source" would have any actual knowledge of how that impacts his decision. All this article really says is that "things are moving in a positive direction". Of course, that writers strike is still possible.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    It's kinda obvious at first glance that they are stretching the few bits of information they have to make it seem more like news. They even mention Othello, and I'm not sure how a "source" would have any actual knowledge of how that impacts his decision. All this article really says is that "things are moving in a positive direction". Of course, that writers strike is still possible.

Put my mortgage on something being announced by May.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Why May?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    BBC and Evening Standard are reliable outlets.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    "Bonds place in a brexit and trump world"

My ass
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I'll take it with a pinch of salt. The article makes many claims that already scream inaccurate, capitalizes on the "slashing wrists" comment that's taken out of context, yet ignores Craig's claim that he'll "terribly miss" being 007 and that he's "got the best job in the world."

Alas, the Tom Hiddleston being "considered" for the role by the producers claim alone just screams forged report to me, right from the start. It's just a story giving the magazines something to give the public to read and speculate out of nowhere and with no strongholds.

@ClarkDevlin, I could name maybe three articles offhand that didn't take that wrist-slashing comment out of context. The vast majority do, because that means clicks. Either way, the fact that a "journalist" sucks at writing isn't a sign of much anything. It's basically the standard now.

The implication is that Barbara, by gifting Dan Othello where they could work on another creative enterprise to renew their energies post-SP, they would then meet after a break on another, possibly final Bond film for his era.

I'm not saying that's what the situation is, but the article sounds a lot more credible than literally every other one from the last year that just says "[Fill in the name of a popular and timely actor here] is the next James Bond for....reasons."

You're not going to see any reputable sites publishing news with this content in it, because the casting rumors, bookie bets and all the rest are patent, provable bullshit. By publishing this sort of thing these "journalists" open up the door for pseudo-industry experts in every dark and damp corner of the internet to use these news tidbits to fit their own skewed narratives of what is really going on behind the scenes. Which is why EON's word is the only one that matters at any time, because they don't have a dog in this fight of faux-journalism and click-baiting that these rag sites peddle.
    Not according to the way the articles are written.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

@ClarkDevlin, I could name maybe three articles offhand that didn't take that wrist-slashing comment out of context. The vast majority do, because that means clicks. Either way, the fact that a "journalist" sucks at writing isn't a sign of much anything. It's basically the standard now.
    Definitely, Brady. Now that's a standard in the paparazzi business. Write whatever they can so their rates can go up.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 2,138

Why May?

Dan was in the UK at the weekend, he took in the Liverpool game. Othello ended in January, Kings and Logan are wrapped leaving only Season 1 (20 episodes) of Purity his other confirmed outstanding pre production work. I just have feeling P&W will have working titled script by that point and announcement will come. They will want to use Craig's return early to draw in the money and begin building the anticipation. Had a feeling for a while Bond 25 will come late 2018, the same 3 year gap between Skyfall to Spectre.
    Great news! I am all for Craig's return as long as Bond 25 is designed to be his last Bond movie (no Bond actor had a proper send-off before), and as long as it's not a continuation of the Spectre storyline. No more Blofeld! Also, I am all for a third Bond movie directed by Mendes as long as he is focusing on making a great Sam Mendes movie, instead of focusing on making the most bondian Bond movie of all time.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,083
    Whether or not the article "sounds" credible is completely subjective. The fact is, the speculation of Barbara and Craig collaborating together as a precursor to Bond negotiations is just that - speculation. There is nothing to corroborate it. You, I or anyone may find it compelling, but nothing should be taken for granted until Craig's own thoughts are made clear. At this point, if Craig has anything negative to say about Bond, it's presumed to have been taken out of context from the moment it has left his lips.

Regardless, many seem to be working under the assumption that as long as Craig wants to return, and Barbara is happy to have him, a fifth Craig film will happen. Unfortunately, it's not quite as cut and dry as that. You can't make a film without a distributor or a script. If this strike action rears its head again, everything is scuppered until further notice. If they are unable to secure a distributor, then 2018 can easily slip away. I think every Craig film so far has been hit with some kind of delay to production. Not to mention, both Brosnan and Dalton fully expected to return for a 5th and 3rd film respectively.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Whether or not the article "sounds" credible is completely subjective. The fact is, the speculation of Barbara and Craig collaborating together as a precursor to Bond negotiations is just that - speculation. There is nothing to corroborate it. You, I or anyone may find it compelling, but nothing should be taken for granted until Craig's own thoughts are made clear. At this point, if Craig has anything negative to say about Bond, it's presumed to have been taken out of context from the moment it has left his lips.

Regardless, many seem to be working under the assumption that as long as Craig wants to return, and Barbara is happy to have him, a fifth Craig film will happen. Unfortunately, it's not quite as cut and dry as that. You can't make a film without a distributor or a script. If this strike action rears its head again, everything is scuppered until further notice. If they are unable to secure a distributor, then 2018 can easily slip away. I think every Craig film so far has been hit with some kind of delay to production. Not to mention, both Brosnan and Dalton fully expected to return for a 5th and 3rd film respectively.

It's an interesting stance to take for someone who has a tendency to follow everything that isn't corroborated while discounting all the things that are.

It becomes hard to get a read on people who seem to switch opinions like a multiple-personality patient in a mental ward.

Still holding out for Aidan Turner? :)
    Yeah, he seems like he is =))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883

I agree. It's Craig if it's 2018. It will be someone else (apparently not Hiddles if this article is to be believed) if it's 2019 or, heaven forbid, later. I still stand by that opinion.

It's possible that they're just playing it close to the vest after the fiasco of last time around, and things are farther along than we assume. We'll know soon enough, I suppose.
    When everything always gets twisted and spun six ways from Sunday, can EON really be begrudged for keeping things quiet? It never does them any favors to level with people, though they surely would want to. The human mind has just degraded itself into such a state that you can't trust people to be sensible about anything.

Look at all the things people in this thread alone have taken out of context without cross-checking, researching, and critically thinking about anything they read. It's a very nasty climate to tell the public anything about what you're doing, because there's people who pretend they know what they're talking about and spread bullshit.

After what has been done to Dan in the past, how EON is treated and how words are twisted, I wouldn't share anything if I was them that didn't need to be shared. It's a shame, but you just can't count on people to act level-headed and sensible anymore, especially with the cancer that is the internet being such a heavy breeding ground.
  • re: NY Post. (All the British papers are quoting it and haven't confirmed this Craig-on-the-verge-of-coming-back themselves.)

The Post was the first to report that MGM had been in negotiations to sell itself to a Chinese entity. The Wall Street Journal came out a few hours later with the same information with the additional tidbit the talks were done and not resulting in a sale.

MGM had the chance to refute, but never commented. Gary Barber said nothing during last month's investor call and nobody asked.

Also, in December, it was the first (I believe) to float this idea about how Othello was part of a plan to get Craig back.

http://pagesix.com/2016/12/11/could-daniel-craig-be-convinced-to-play-james-bond-again/

Make of this what you will.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    For anyone thinking Sam Mendes is going to be back on Bond 25... this would lead me to suspect that he said what he meant: he's done with 007:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/sam-mendes-my-favorite-thing-is-monsters-sony-pictures-emil-ferris-1202061392/
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Lettuce bee real, Craig is 99.99% coming back.

Let's pray to the flying spaghetti monster that Mendes doesn't come back, and if he does, hopefully he can find his SF mojo.
    Good news!
    Finally a non Sam Mendez Daniel Craig Bond movie!