No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »
    As much as I love BMW Z8 Roadster, and with passion I'll add, I do sincerely hope they never make Bond drive a BMW again. Seriously, what were they thinking with the ugly and family-oriented 750il?

I'm a big fan of the 750 chase (I know others aren't). It's one of those vehicles that adds to the idiosyncratic nature of Bond. I absolutely see why others wouldn't, but Bond works better when it takes you by surprise. The DB5 makes me snooze these days.
    I love the chase, too. The chaos in that Hamburg garage is one of the best vehicular action sequences directed in the Bond series. It's the car itself that I'm not fond of.
    I'm the opposite. Love the car (although it's quite obvious that he happens to have a four door saloon/sedan just so he can jump in the back and play with his little remote) but can't stand the chase. The Peacemakers visceral BMW/Mercedes (coincidental, but sponsorship was switched with Mercedes for the hero) encounter from the same year was ahead of its time, and more my thing.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Aston officials hint the next spy thriller will feature even newer models, though they're not saying which ones.

I know it's just a quote from an article, but am I reading too much into the fact that it says "newer models" - plural?

• RC7RC7
    edited March 2017 Posts: 10,512
    bondjames wrote: »
    Aston officials hint the next spy thriller will feature even newer models, though they're not saying which ones.
    I can't say I'm pleased to read this.

I wonder if Bond 25 will now follow in SP's stead and have Bond driving another newly designed, customized for the film kind of car that nobody else has.
    Don't understand Aston Martin's strategy with that. Most people would want to buy the car because it was used in the film like in CR and QOS.

True. Personally I think it's all a load of self-indulgent bollocks. They should pull out something in the vein of the 2CV chase, if the story is good and the action is well choreographed, the audience won't care if he's in an Aston or an Alfa.

I wonder if Bond 25 will now follow in SP's stead and have Bond driving another newly designed, customized for the film kind of car that nobody else has.
    Don't understand Aston Martin's strategy with that. Most people would want to buy the car because it was used in the film like in CR and QOS.

True. Personally I think it's all a load of self-indulgent bollocks. They should pull out something in the vein of the 2CV chase, if the story is good and the action is well choreographed, the audience won't care if he's in an Aston or an Alfa.
    Agreed. Even the Alfa chase in OP was superb. I love the car too btw.

Aston relies on Bond for exposure however. I honestly don't think they'd be around now if not for Bond having made them famous. I'm sure they benefit significantly more from being in the film than the other way around and so I would think they fund a reasonable portion of the marketing budget.
  • RC7RC7

Agreed. Even the Alfa chase in OP was superb. I love the car too btw.

Aston relies on Bond for exposure however. I honestly don't think they'd be around now if not for Bond having made them famous. I'm sure they benefit significantly more from being in the film than the other way around and so I would think they fund a reasonable portion of the marketing budget.

I think you're right. They certainly plough a lot into it for prestige purposes.

And yes, the Alfa in OP is ace!
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

Agreed. Sounds like some "ooh look at me, we have a one of a kind Aston!"

• edited March 2017 Posts: 6,844
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Aston Martin Pulls Off a Rescue Even James Bond Could Appreciate
    nbcnews.com/business/autos/aston-martin-pulls-rescue-even-james-bond-could-appreciate-n740021

The DB11 is likely to be the immediate test for Aston, and it got a send-up from the most recent Bond film, SPECTRE, where a prototype, dubbed the DB10, was Agent 007's ride of choice. Aston officials hint the next spy thriller will feature even newer models, though they're not saying which ones.

They must have some sort of script in place if they are saying this

Could be that Aston Martin currently has a multi-film contract with Bond, so they know that come what may an Aston Martin/Martins will feature in B25. Also doesn't necessarily mean there will be a car chase. The BMW Z8 was "advertised" in TWINE only to fire a mini-rocket and get sawn in half. So all this suggests is that Aston Martin is contracted for the next one (and presumably that Babs/MGW/whomever has inquired about newer models).

Edit: Also, is anyone really that jazzed to see our fifth Aston Martin chase out of the most recent six films (the sixth being Skyfall wherein hallelujahs were sung from on high when the Aston Martin was unveiled and when it pumped baddies full of golden era-loving lead during the climax)? I'm ready to come up for air, personally.
    As much as the DB5 will always be my favorite Bond car, I wouldn't mind the Aston Martin being absent for the next few films. Give Bond something else for a change.

I remember the big to-do some of the media made about Bond supposedly driving a Fiat in the SP car chase because it was seen in the filming of it!
    Bond driving a car for reasons of the audience´s nostalgia perverts the films. They should once and for all quit that.

When the DB5 had its first appearance, it was a modern, state-of-the-art car, pimped with state-of-the-art gadgets. So were all other Bond cars after, until the DB5 came back in the 90s.
    I understand if Bond has a nostalgia car for personal reasons, because he likes oldtimers. After all, that´s what Fleming´s Bond did. But it shouldn´t be more in any film. And if he likes old school, he should just plainly do that, and not talk about it all the time, like for instance the whole film of SF does.

The same goes for Bond having yet another AM. He should drive a Subaru down a bobsleigh run, like that commercial does. Give the vehicle a reason.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I guess I'm the only who thinks Bond should remain in an Aston.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »

No, I am with you.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

No, I am with you.
    Make that three.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Me too. Fleming would have balked at his character driving a BMW!!!

The Aston is synonymous with James Bond.

For me Bond does not necessarily need an Aston or any other make? I always love it when Bond uses his wits and quick thinking. One off the top of my head is in the PTS of TWINE when he uses the blind in the Bankers office to escape.

For a car example when he stole the German woman's Audi I believe? In OP on the way to the American air base. Bond just using his brain and talent can be just as rewarding to watch on the big screen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think it's okay for Bond to have a personal car, but not every film needs an Aston car chase. The action I want to see in Bond 25 is combat, as I think that's what Dan excels at.

The action in SP was impressive from a logistical standpoint, but I don't like any vehicular action on the whole because I feel subtracted from Bond nearly the entire time. I want to see him in the field fighting with his fists and using guns to defeat foes where I can connect to him as he just goes predatory with nothing else on hand. Seeing him fly in a plane, whether it's in OP, QoS or SP just doesn't engage me in the primal way fistfights do, and while some car chases do get me going, like in QoS, on the whole I don't care for them either.

Give me a Bond vs. Grant over a slide-whistle twist jump any day. If Bond 25 is as stripped back budget-wise as many of us hope, it'd be nice to see EON forced to focus on more direct and traditional action with Bond talking with his fists in visceral combat sequences. I want to see him take on a room full of SPECTRE agents set on him by Blofeld, plowing through them like a bulldozer as limbs fly at him in every direction. Crazy choreography and powerful visuals.
    In the Moore era we had one obvious instance of a gadget laden watch. We had a gadget laden car in TSWLM, and then they switched it up in MR (no car) and FYEO (car blows up to my chagrin, followed by the Citreon chase). That's the way it should be done. Mix up the sponsors.

In contrast, during the Brosnan era, the bloody Omega watch was front and centre in nearly every film, as were the swanky poseur cars (whether they be BMWs or Astons). Too obvious and in your face imho.

In CR, they had the right idea with a car chase that ends badly. Aston still had their day in the sun. QoS was fine too because it was visceral in nature. SP gave us an overuse of the watch and the car imho, in that poseur style.

If they're smart, they'll dump both for the next few films. I bet they won't though. Sponsorship money talks.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Product placement is one of the saving graces responsible for the fact that we have these films still chugging along, so as double-edged a sword as it can be, I'll take it over the alternative.

I think Bond 25 could be a back to basics kind of deal, however, at least in how the action is used. I can't see the budget being anywhere near as big as SP.
    In the Moore era we had one obvious instance of a gadget laden watch. We had a gadget laden car in TSWLM, and then they switched it up in MR (no car) and FYEO (car blows up to my chagrin, followed by the Citreon chase). That's the way it should be done. Mix up the sponsors.

In contrast, during the Brosnan era, the bloody Omega watch was front and centre in nearly every film, as were the swanky poseur cars (whether they be BMWs or Astons). Too obvious and in your face imho.

In CR, they had the right idea with a car chase that ends badly. Aston still had their day in the sun. QoS was fine too because it was visceral in nature. SP gave us an overuse of the watch and the car imho, in that poseur style.

If they're smart, they'll dump both for the next few films. I bet they won't though. Sponsorship money talks.

Moore had a gadget Rolex in LALD and gadget Seikos in TSWLM, MR and OP
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I knew someone was going to bring that up to make a point. The LALD Rolex is the major instance of product placement. Nobody gives a hoot about Seikos and they were incidental - not front and centre.

I knew someone was going to bring that up to make a point. The LALD Rolex is the major instance of product placement. Nobody gives a hoot about Seikos and they were incidental - not front and centre.

I bought a Seiko when I was a kid because Bond had one ... so they must have been somewhat noticeable ...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Hmm. It's an intriguing time - A lot of the rumours surrounding Bond 25 seem to have been debunked, or otherwise dissipated. I don't think anyone thought we would reach this far and still surrounded by so many unknowns. Even certainties of the past have vanished. MGW, for instance, may be in doubt for Bond 25. Likewise, if there will eventually be a strike by the writers guild, they may have to hire non union writers. Then there is the never-ending indecision regarding the man himself - Daniel Craig. How much time must elapse before he decides its no longer worth it to continue? Some say that he has pursued a career in TV as a back up, in case things don't work out on Bond.

I bought a Seiko when I was a kid because Bond had one ... so they must have been somewhat noticeable ...
    Fair enough. They were definitely noticeable. I have a Submariner today because of Moore in LALD and TMWTGG, Connery in the early films, & Dalton in LTK, so this stuff definitely works.

Fair enough. They were definitely noticeable. I have a Submariner today because of Moore in LALD and TMWTGG, Connery in the early films, & Dalton in LTK, so this stuff definitely works.

Although I haven't quite got around to getting an Aston Martin yet :)

Although I haven't quite got around to getting an Aston Martin yet :)
    There's still a chance! Craig was peddling one a few weeks back as part of some charity thing with the dogs.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    No its not that @Mendes4Lyfe ,he is doing TV because its something a lot of film actors are now doing : Nicole Kidman,Anthony Hopkins,Josh Hartnett,Reece Witherspoon,Mads Mikkelsen,Eva Green,Dennis Quaid,Stanley Tucci...the list is endless at the moment.

It's becoming a great time for TV.
    Indeed, we're in a bit of a golden era as far as TV drama is concerned.
    Agreed. TV is where the meat is for an actor these days. I can see Craig going there post-Bond.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

No your not alone
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I find it interesting, I thought the DB5 would have cost less in it's day but it was actually about 77,655 pounds adjusted for inflation (4,135 pounds unadjusted), or 97,000 USD (or 129,500 CAD). Seems about the price of a new Aston Martin.