No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Product placement is one of the saving graces responsible for the fact that we have these films still chugging along, so as double-edged a sword as it can be, I'll take it over the alternative.
    Product placement can be in your face and still unobtrusive, like for instance the Sony monitor in Tiger´s car in YOLT, or superb entertainment, like that Subaru stunt would be if put in a Bond film. Ridley Scott, his brother Tony, and Michael Mann among others made an art out of using visuals originally used only in promotional clips for products. What the recent Bond films did instead was artistically very unsatisfying.

• edited March 2017 Posts: 6,844
    I really don't think product placement has been too bad or too obvious at any point throughout the series. When I was growing up with the Brosnan films I never thought "Ugh, another commercial for Omega..." I thought sweet Bond just fired a rappelling piton out of his watch, how cool is that? I think part of the perceived nuisance of product placement comes from being too familiar with which products are backing the film. Heading into Skyfall, for instance, I knew Heineken was a sponsor, so my eye leapt to those green bottles whenever they appeared onscreen. There's that moment when Bond is enjoying death and he raises his Heineken and holds it there for a precious few heartbeats before proceeding to take a sip, and I wondered whether there was actually a team from Heineken directing over Mendes' shoulder. Then later on we see Tanner enjoying a Heineken (seriously, how does this guy still have his job) while M is fleeing the country in crisis mode. But had I not known Heineken was a sponsor would these moments have bothered me at all? Likely not (though that Michelangelo-esque portrait of "Half-Naked Bond Lounging with Heineken Bottle" will forever give me pause). So in conclusion, yes, I think the perceived nuisance of product placement in the James Bond films comes down almost entirely to the eye (and more importantly the mind) of the beholder. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm halfway through Moonraker and just realized I need to pick up some Seven-Up.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only who thinks Bond should remain in an Aston.

No your not alone

Add me to the list! I'd love to see a new Aston in B25. I wonder how far out their deal goes?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Product placement is one of the saving graces responsible for the fact that we have these films still chugging along, so as double-edged a sword as it can be, I'll take it over the alternative.
    Product placement can be in your face and still unobtrusive, like for instance the Sony monitor in Tiger´s car in YOLT, or superb entertainment, like that Subaru stunt would be if put in a Bond film. Ridley Scott, his brother Tony, and Michael Mann among others made an art out of using visuals originally used only in promotional clips for products. What the recent Bond films did instead was artistically very unsatisfying.

I've honestly never seen this clever product placement. When someone is selling me something, I know it. But it has to be there, so I let it be.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited March 2017 Posts: 2,496
    Interestingly, while on "Money News with Ross Greenwood", Andy Palmer the CEO of Aston Martin, said that "you wont see many Aston’s in them [films], because we don’t pay to place. We do it because the character essentially demands Aston Martin."

Regardless of whatever deal they've got with EON, I like seeing them in the films, as long as they don't use them for the sake of it. I did get that feeling a bit with SP. Did they really need the DB10 specially for the film? Really, any newer model Aston could have featured in the Rome chase scene, the same with Jaguar.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Hmm. It's an intriguing time - A lot of the rumours surrounding Bond 25 seem to have been debunked, or otherwise dissipated. I don't think anyone thought we would reach this far and still surrounded by so many unknowns. Even certainties of the past have vanished. MGW, for instance, may be in doubt for Bond 25. Likewise, if there will eventually be a strike by the writers guild, they may have to hire non union writers. Then there is the never-ending indecision regarding the man himself - Daniel Craig. How much time must elapse before he decides its no longer worth it to continue? Some say that he has pursued a career in TV as a back up, in case things don't work out on Bond.

They won't.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    echo wrote: »
    Hmm. It's an intriguing time - A lot of the rumours surrounding Bond 25 seem to have been debunked, or otherwise dissipated. I don't think anyone thought we would reach this far and still surrounded by so many unknowns. Even certainties of the past have vanished. MGW, for instance, may be in doubt for Bond 25. Likewise, if there will eventually be a strike by the writers guild, they may have to hire non union writers. Then there is the never-ending indecision regarding the man himself - Daniel Craig. How much time must elapse before he decides its no longer worth it to continue? Some say that he has pursued a career in TV as a back up, in case things don't work out on Bond.

They won't.

They might be forced to if they want to keep Craig.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I thought the whole writer's strike thing was already being resolved?
  • jake24 wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only who thinks Bond should remain in an Aston.

Me too. Fleming would have balked at his character driving a BMW!!!

The Aston is synonymous with James Bond.

In 1994, at the James Bond fan convention in Los Angeles, they showed a video about what to expect in GoldenEye. The video specifically said a new (for the time) Aston would be in the movie. It must have been around this time that MGM-UA (UA still a functioning division of MGM) negotiated with BMW to be the new car.
  • re: Bond and Aston Martin. There is a bit of an irony how it all came about.

In the Goldfinger novel, Bond selected the Aston Martin DB3 (I believe) from the fleet as part of his cover as a shady adventurer.

When Goldfinger the film was in pre-production, some of the different script drafts feature different cars. So it wasn't necessarily a sure thing. Finally, the DB5 was in place and the rest is history.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's a shame though that the DB7 wasn't featured as originally planned in GoldenEye. It was definitely a beautiful car and very practical I might add.
  • peterpeter Toronto

They won't.

Non union writers @Mendes, are called scabs for a reason. Unless Babs wants to be black-balled by the industry, she will never, ever, hire non union writers. Ever.
    Sam Mendes wants Turner? Maybe change the headline, jake24?
    Who wants Sam Mendes? Eon?

• echoecho 007 in New York

They won't.

The studio won't allow it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Would somebody (perhaps @AlexanderWaverly) brief me on the whole writer's strike situation, particularly the most recent development? I've been away for quite sometime.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Would somebody (perhaps @AlexanderWaverly) brief me on the whole writer's strike situation, particularly the most recent development? I've been away for quite sometime.

WGA's current contract expires May 1. There's some maneuvering going on. WGA is either calling for or has held a strike authorization vote. You have to have such a vote before a strike is possible. A positive vote doesn't mean there *will be* a strike. But it makes a strike possible.

My speculation: We'll have some additional maneuvering. Hard to say whether a strike will happen or not.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Thanks for the info, @AlexanderWaverly.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 850
    A "Jinx" movie announced before Bond 25 :

IMG0061_Carousel.png?resize=660%2C330

For resume :

http://www.commander007.net/2017/04/un-film-jinx-annonce-avant-bond-25/

- EON have envisaged a movie about Jinx in 2003.
    - Broccolli and Wilson want to keep Craig as long as possible but is agenda is full until 2018
    - While shooting the movie "Kings" Craig have an informal discution with his co-star Halle Berry about Bond and they talk about the old Jinx project (Craig read it in 2005).
    - Craig have convinced EON to dust off the project, Eon who always regret to no do the film agreed to do Jinx until Craig can be free to come back in B25, and they recontact Halle Berry
    - Halle Berry talk about a Jinx franchise, the movie out fall 2018
    - Jeffrey Write will retake the role of Leiter, CIA agent and Jinx boyfriend !
    - The script is written by Purvis & Wade
    - MGm distribute the movie
    - There will be a press conference 4 june where the rest of the cast, director, and location will be revelead

Twitter-Halle.png?resize=472%2C961

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    April's Fool indeed, but I still wouldn't mind a Jinx movie. (Leaps into cover)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have to say, the Jinx April Fools was a brilliant idea. Because Dan and Halle had been on the same set for a film recently, the lie was wrapped in a truth that I know many would swallow up. I respect the creativity and the investment in making it seem as substantiated as possible to outsiders.
    Is that a real tweet? I had to ask.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Is that a real tweet? I had to ask.

@jake24, I would love to see a behind the scenes of how all the promotional items were created. Very cool and imaginative.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    If they turn out to be brother and sister late in the film, I'm all in.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If they turn out to be brother and sister late in the film, I'm all in.
    Author of all her pain? I'm in. Now yo mama would be her mama too.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yo gran' mama! An' yo great gran' mama!
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 850
    When you think of it, there are some intelligent question of what a movie about with Jinx in the lead role could or couldn't do. First : did Micheal Madsen, the boss of Jinx, is agreed to reprise his role ? Did she will appear in a gunbarell ? Did we replace the traditional nude girl in the opening credit by nude men (since Jinx is a girl) ? Can we use the James Bond Theme meanwhile the carracter is not JB ?
    Wonder how they imagine to deal with that in 2003.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    When you think of it, there are some intelligent question of what a movie about with Jinx in the lead role could or couldn't do. First : did Micheal Madsen, the boss of Jinx, is agreed to reprise his role ? Did she will appear in a gunbarell ? Did we replace the traditional nude girl in the opening credit by nude men (since Jinx is a girl) ? Can we use the James Bond Theme meanwhile the carracter is not JB ?
    Interesting questions. I think they should have made a Bond heroine flick and dumped them all in one film to get it over with. Just the good ones though, like Jinx, Dr (ahem) Jones and Wai Lin. All the macho chicks. They could have ended up killing themselves accidentally and then we'd be done with this continuing idea once and for all!