No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TripAces wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    In the Variety story, did anyone catch the awkwardness of this sentence?

MGM announced last summer that it would open Bond 25 on Nov. 8, 2019, but it’s unlikely to do so.

Now, does this mean that MGM is unlikely to meet the November 8 due date? OR...does it mean that MGM is unlikely to the be the producer (it = MGM)?

Since they're discussing the dates regarding Bond 25 and Boyle's new musical/comedy, I'm assuming it's the former: unlikely to meet the previously announced date.

I get that. But what a bad sentence.
    Both articles are poorly written.

MGM announced last summer that it would open Bond 25 on Nov. 8, 2019, but it’s unlikely to do so.

Now, does this mean that MGM is unlikely to meet the November 8 due date? OR...does it mean that MGM is unlikely to the be the producer (it = MGM)?

Since they're discussing the dates regarding Bond 25 and Boyle's new musical/comedy, I'm assuming it's the former: unlikely to meet the previously announced date.

I first read that (all to quickly) as: «Since they're discussing the dates regarding Bond 25 and the new new Bond musical/comedy.»

Got nervous for a little second there!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

I first read that (all to quickly) as: «Since they're discussing the dates regarding Bond 25 and the new new Bond musical/comedy.»

That's actually happening in Canada apparently. There's a thread for it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »

Worse. It's an opera. Prepare for some dramatic and overtly tragic character deaths and suicides.

Worse. It's an opera. Prepare for some dramatic and overtly tragic character deaths and suicides.
    With drama no doubt inspired by the official series of late! After all, Tanner was supposed to have killed himself in one of the drafts of SP as I recall,.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423

With drama no doubt inspired by the official series of late! After all, Tanner was supposed to have killed himself in one of the drafts of SP as I recall,.
    In Logan's efforts only, yes.

A James Bond opera that I described above with all the contents was one of my worst nightmares. Now, it's a reality I'm afraid to say.
    I am so sorry for all if you. Must be a nightmare. Will be interesting to see the comments if all works out. Which it will.

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Because, they can. Just like the abysmal first book they released in the country entitled License Expired, featuring short stories written by obvious James Bond haters. That's one of the reasons the Bond IP should not enter public domain.

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Because, they can. Just like the abysmal first book they released in the country entitled License Expired, featuring short stories written by obvious James Bond haters. That's one of the reasons the Bond IP should not enter public domain.

And there's nothing they can do to stop this?

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.
    Well there'd no longer be reason to complain about the length of the gaps between films. We could complain about 10 opera Bonds per decade rather than 1 proper Bond.
    Strog wrote: »
    Well there'd no longer be reason to complain about the length of the gaps between films. We could complain about 10 opera Bonds per decade rather than 1 proper Bond.
    Depends, actually. Many franchises happen to be in public domain but there's hardly a film about them coming out once per decade. Zorro, for example. When was the last time we had a film? Wasn't it in 2005?

Many production companies have been developing films since at least then, but none of them have been materialized so far.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    This is all Harry’s fault. If he would of just sold his half to Cubby
    You can also lay the blame at Michael Cimino for making Heaven's Gate which was the final undoing of UA, or TransAmerica Corporation as you might prefer to call them, as they took over UA in 1967 and sold their shell to an MGM who were in freefall at the beginning of 1981.

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

Damn. Guess anything can happen then. Operas, musicals, comedies. It'll be CR67 all over again, only without Sellers, Niven, Andress, etc.!

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

Damn. Guess anything can happen then. Operas, musicals, comedies. It'll be CR67 all over again, only without Sellers, Niven, Andress, etc.!
    Yep! And that License Expired book would make CR '67 look like a faithful Fleming adaptation, SF a masterpiece, and the glacier surfing CGI in DAD the least of Bond fans' worries.

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

Yep! And that License Expired book would make CR '67 look like a faithful Fleming adaptation, SF a masterpiece, and the glacier surfing CGI in DAD the least of Bond fans' worries.

Haven't even heard about that book. What's the plot/synopsis?

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

Collection of short stories. Rather be ignored.

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?

What stuns me is what kind of morons are expected to watch it?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I still say it's in the realm of possibility for B25 to make it's intended release date. I won't rule out 2019 altogether.
    Not only is it in the realm of possibility for B25 to make it's intended release date, it's FAR more likely at this point that it will make it, than it won't.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

I haven't read the book itself, but judging by the stories' titles and synopsis they mostly sound like parodies.
    Strog wrote: »
    Depends, actually. Many franchises happen to be in public domain but there's hardly a film about them coming out once per decade. Zorro, for example. When was the last time we had a film? Wasn't it in 2005?

Many production companies have been developing films since at least then, but none of them have been materialized so far.
    Fair point. I've often thought Bond entering public domain would be a good thing on the whole, leading to more adaptations (however varied in quality they turned out), but I might be overestimating the interest and willingness of other production companies to develop something. Especially since Eon would be ready to pounce.
  • //If they don't meet Nov 2019 then I can't see it being released before May 2020. Normally mega blockbusters don't come out in the timeframe between January and April (I'm sure there are exceptions) and December is already booked by the SW beast.//

Black Panther came out in February and certainly qualifies as a mega blockbuster at this point.

Because it wasn't a blockbuster property yet. Now that it is, future installments will likely not be released in the early year.

It was anticipated to be a big hit with the February release. It simply exceeded expectations.
  • Wonder if we'll get an up-and-coming director for Bond at some point. One who'll just go straight at it with youthful enthusiasm and bold, effective ideas.

I've argued Eon should consider that approach. Although I've heard some fans counter that Eon should keep to A-list directors because Bond "deserves the respect."
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

Learn more on https://scifibulletin.com/spy-fi/books/007-review-licence-expired-the-unauthorized-james-bond/
  • fjdinardo wrote: »
    This is all Harry’s fault. If he would of just sold his half to Cubby

And if Eve hadn't listened to the serpent, we'd all be in Eden. I understand where people are coming from. But it has been more than 40 years since Saltzman sold his share of the franchise. Everybody knows what the situation is. It has been a given for decades.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,115

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?

This is how copyright *is supposed* to work. It was never intended to last forever. It was supposed to ensure the original creators were fairly compensated. Then, upon entering public domain, it could be reinterpreted all over the place.

What has happened is media companies have lobbied (in the U.S.) Congress for legislation extending copyright well beyond the lifespans of the original creators. And the media companies have been successful over and over again. Something similar has happened in other regions.

As for Bond, he'll survive the occasional opera in Canada or occasional collection of new stories. Who knows? Maybe the next collection of Bond stories in Canada will be by 007 lovers who have something new and interesting to say about the gentleman agent.
    It's gotten to the point where I'm so bored waiting around for these stupid movies to be produced, I've taken to reading the Bond continuation novels -- something that I thought would never happen!
    Chaps it's important to keep in mind that as far as we know they are still on track for Nov 2019 with Boyle. Fingers crossed!

Well, I want to remain optimistic.

But: when are the milestones at which people start to feel concerned about missing November 2019? If you count backward from an opening in 18 months from now, what checkpoints does the team need to hit in order to be on pace?

It seems to me that within a few months they'd want to have a team and a script starting to coming together, anyway, and I'm not too optimistic there. It could also be that EON are simply playing things very close to the chest. I hope that's the case.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,312

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

Walecs wrote: »

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

I haven't read the book itself, but judging by the stories' titles and synopsis they mostly sound like parodies.
    Walecs wrote: »

giphy.gif
    An opera?! But why?
    Nope.

Learn more on https://scifibulletin.com/spy-fi/books/007-review-licence-expired-the-unauthorized-james-bond/

This sounds horrible! Read through the plots of five-six in that link (thank you for posting that one, @Walecs), and just stopped. It's incredible this gets published at all!