No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Bond would make a ton of sense for a February release. Next February has X Men. But I don't know if anything is scheduled for February 2020
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 11,425
    The gap will be approaching LTK-GE proportions. And to think Dalton thought he was too old!

Dalton’s era would have run into 2000 if he’d hung around as long as Craig.
    Definitely disappointing and frustrating.

Bond is supposed to be pop entertainment (with a dash of knowing wit) not arthouse cinema. There is a benefit in cranking them out to a schedule with a regular team. Three years would be just about acceptable.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's disgusting. There is no excuse for these gaps.

Yeah, with better, more committed producers like the ones for Star Wars and marvel, there would be captains helming this ship, but as of now it’s just an aimless scramble. Maybe they can’t get a film out every two years, and that’s fair. But more than 3 years is laziness on the Part of the producers
    Feels like some of Babs best years went into banging out Brosnan’s films and now she’s run out of steam a bit. Shame the delays didn’t occur 95-2002 and then she’d knocked them out every couple of years with Craig.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Still, I hate how infrequent Bond films have become. Not a great time to be a fan sadly.
    Agreed. Feels like forever between films.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,087
    Black Panther and Deadpool were both unexpected hits, I don't think they would release Bond in February after a 4 and a half year gap, but there's no guessing anymore.

Bond 25 is becoming like a mirage which disseappears the closer you get. It's really too long to knock out a Bond film, and those involved deserve to be held accountable.

I hope we can leave this snail pace behind once Craig is out of the picture.
    I think the film will come out in November 2019 as MGM need to satisfy its own shareholders. If the film is delayed, there’s a chance it will get delayed an entire year. Though recent history shows a blockbuster can open any time (Black Panther killed in February). But Eon are too traditional for there own good and might stick to the thanksgiving window.

Though, I believe Boyle will direct both the musical and Bond by the end of 2019. It’s really not unprecedented to make two films very quickly, especially for veteran filmmakers like Danny Boyle. For example:

Steven Spielberg regularly shoots two films and releases them concurrently:

2017: The Post / Ready Player One
    2015: Bridge of Spies / The BFG
    2011: Tintin / War Horse
    2005: Munich / War of the Worlds
    1997: Amistad / Jurassic Park 2
    1993: Jurassic Park / Schlinder’s List

Furthermore, people like Ridley Scott make two films a year regularly. Last year he did Alien: Covenant and All the Money in the World. The former came out in May 2017 and be hadn’t even started shooting the latter when Alien opened.

David Yates directed both Fantastic Beasts and Tarzan in 2016. Both were mega-budget films as well.

Furthermore, in 2011/2012 Boyle worked on three projects concurrently:

1. 2012 Opening Ceremony
    2. Frankenstein at the national
    3. Filmed Trance and edited after the Olympics.

The opening ceremony was his big project, but he was allowed two sabbaticals and decided to make two different projects between.

He has form in this area.

We’re fine.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Has Boyle not even been confirmed as director? I'm confused because I am seeing some people talk as if there had been a confirmation, and others talk if though there hadn't.
    God knows Major...this thread is a madhouse.
    Boyle has not officially been confirmed, but it's more or less a done deal, am I right?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 13,894
    barryt007 wrote: »

I'm lost completely. The only thing there seems to be a lot of, is inertia. It can't be that hard to settle on a title, and then announce it to start the flow of information (EDIT: they don't even have a script yet, do they?). It's just an observation, but the production of the films has gotten very lackadaisical. It used to be a well oiled machine.

I'm lost completely. The only thing there seems to be a lot of, is inertia. It can't be that hard to settle on a title, and then announce it to start the flow of information (EDIT: they don't even have a script yet, do they?). It's just an observation, but the production of the films has gotten very lackadaisical. It used to be a well oiled machine.

And it's steadily getting worse....it's coming up to 3 years since SP was released and,apart from Craig announcing his return we have,basically,nothing.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,661
    It's surprising to move the film back to 2020 because of a director? Back in the Cubby era he stuck with John Glen every two years! Surely there are other talented directors out there that are available to commit to the schedule? I wonder if there is more to this than Boyle? Has Craig had second doubt about returning?

I have mixed feelings about saying this but the Bond franchise may be better suited if Disney had MGM's 50 percent stake. Some Star Wars fans have disliked the approach Disney has taken with that franchise - The Last Jedi has its haters (!) - but Disney is a very efficient studio in terms of getting product out on time. James Bond deserves better than MGM. All credit to the MGM for Bond's past success but times move on and the franchise needs a more solvent, reliable studio. I'm sure Disney wouldn't hang around for any director. They'd just sign another director and get the film out on time.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Wonder if we'll get an up-and-coming director for Bond at some point. One who'll just go straight at it with youthful enthusiasm and bold, effective ideas.
    2020 ?
    5 years for a final Craig Bond film ?

Don't even bother.
    If you are taking 5 years then use that time to bring a new 007 in and start afresh.

This is all so old and stale now,i'm beginning to shrug and 'whatever' about the whole thing.
    Couldn't agree more. One more year doesn't really bother me at all. It should, but it doesn't.
    2020 ?
    5 years for a final Craig Bond film ?

Don't even bother.
    If you are taking 5 years then use that time to bring a new 007 in and start afresh.

This is all so old and stale now,i'm beginning to shrug and 'whatever' about the whole thing.

If Craig had some arrangement by which he gets paid a percentage of his fee even if he doesn't make the film, I guess recasting for Bond 25 isn't so far fetched. If there is an issue regarding Boyle's availability then hire another director and use another script? I don't think the franchise should be dependent on one director. If there are other undisclosed reasons why the film may be delayed, fair enough. There may be more to this 'rumour' than we know.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,164
    the delay rumour - as the reports from last night say - isn't because of Boyle. Schedule-wise it seems they've worked it out and per Baz, there's a deal between EON and Working Title so he can work on both films smoothly. That's why the comedy is shooting in the next couple of months. It's MGM trying to use Bond as leverage for a sale...
    Boyle has not officially been confirmed, but it's more or less a done deal, am I right?

According to the last THR report yeah, they've got his deal locked up. just waiting on EON to announce
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/danny-boyles-lily-james-kate-mckinnon-comedy-lands-fall-2019-release-1103183
    Boyle will direct from a script by Richard Curtis.
    Director Danny Boyle's untitled comedy starring Lily James and Kate McKinnon will hit theaters in the U.S. on Sept. 13, 2019, Universal announced Monday.

Working Title is producing the film, written by Richard Curtis (Love Actually, Notting Hill). The cast, which is still being rounded out, also includes Himesh Patel.

Richard Curtis wrote the script, which is keeping its logline close to the vest. It is known to be musically themed and set in the 1960s or '70s. McKinnon will play a talent agent; James is playing a teacher.

Universal is eyeing a summer shoot for the project, which will roll out in theaters two months before the next James Bond film, which is set to open Nov. 8, 2019. Boyle is the front-runner to direct the Bond movie, and it could prove challenging to promote two films debuting so close together. However, there is speculation that the Bond pic may move to another date, since MGM is still figuring out who is going to handle it internationally.

Working Title's Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner will produce alongside Matt Wilkinson and Bernie Bellew. Curtis and Boyle will also produce.
    antovolk wrote: »

According to the last THR report yeah, they've got his deal locked up. just waiting on EON to announce

Thanks for the info!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    What a complete balls-up EON's become. It's almost like they are trying to kill the golden calf. These extended periods between films is really not on. Waiting for a director (i.e. Mendes for SPECTRE) instead of just going ahead and making the next film is ruinous. I have almost given up on them, they seem to be tying themselves in knot what with story-arcs, writers and directors…grrr!
    And please just get back to Bond being given a mission and off he goes, we don't need his backstory, connections to villains, navel-gazing secret agents, etc.
    Set up. Briefing. Mission. Gets the Girl.
    Rant over…for the time-being.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    antovolk wrote: »
    Now I'm really confused. Didn't the last THR report state that B25 may have difficulty making the November 2019 release date? It's posted a few pages back along with a Variety article. There's no background to that speculation but it's clearly mentioned at the bottom of the article.

Yes, it's not because of Boyle, and is more likely on account of the potential sale of MGM, if that ever goes anywhere.

As far as I'm aware there is nothing locked up. There is no international distributor and there is no formal director. Boyle and Craig have both said 'let's see' or words to that effect. Things are still in motion and haven't been locked as far as I'm aware, although they are still leaning towards Nov 2019 with Boyle.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    This makes me feel sorry for Timothy Dalton,its nearly as long as the delay he had.

That was exceptional at the time,and,even though he would do another film,he had to sign up for more,which we all know he turned down.

Now its the norm,4-5 years between films,and Craig only needs to turn up for 1 more,unlike Tim.

Pathetic,it really is,

They need to be careful they don't lose their young fan base,there are plenty of other,newer heroes out there in other series of films.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    This makes me feel sorry for Timothy Dalton,its nearly as long as the delay he had.

That was exceptional at the time,and,even though he would do another film,he had to sign up for more,which we all know he turned down.

Now its the norm,4-5 years between films,and Craig only needs to turn up for 1 more,unlike Tim.

Pathetic,it really is,

They need to be careful they don't lose their young fan base,there are plenty of other,newer heroes out there in other series of films.
    It's a good point. I don't think Dalton had fulfilled his initial contract (if I'm not mistaken, normally they made you do three first and then renew on a film by film basis) in 2004, although there may have been a timeline associated with it which caused it to expire. The same goes with Craig (he has one more on his docket).

Having said that, do you really want him back for one more after B25 given how he's aging? I wouldn't. So it's ok with me if B25 is his final film. I just wish they'd get on with it, even though I can appreciate that a lot is outside their control.

Sadly, the break that everyone wanted has created even more uncertainty because times have moved on. If they had just jumped right into B25 after SP they may have been able to get this film done sooner and out the door. Same if they had moved forward with the earlier 'proposed' two parter for SP and B25.

Regarding the young fans, I think they've already lost quite a few. The competitive landscape has changed considerably over the past four to five years. They will have to find a niche and rebuild. Best to go back to one's roots and start from there imho (focus on the base), like how they did with CR and GE.
    Getafix wrote: »
    The gap will be approaching LTK-GE proportions. And to think Dalton thought he was too old!

Dalton’s era would have run into 2000 if he’d hung around as long as Craig.

I think Dalton and you are kidding yourself if you believe that he had any choice of staying Bond. Doesn’t matter how long or how many movies.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    In the US at least I think there was quite a bit of enthusiasm for someone new for GE, and Brosnan had been the man in waiting to take the throne for some time. The excitement for GE was really off the charts.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Still (at least that‘s what is said during interviews) they wanted Dalton back for a 3rd
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Still (at least that‘s what is said during interviews) they wanted Dalton back for a 3rd
    Perhaps, but if reports are to be believed, the studio intervened twice and saved the series financially imho. Once when they got Connery for DAF (when EON were going with Gavin) and again when they got Brosnan (when EON were apparently ok with Dalton).
    bondjames wrote: »

Pathetic,it really is,

It's a good point. I don't think Dalton had fulfilled his initial contract (if I'm not mistaken, normally they made you do three first and then renew on a film by film basis) in 2004, although there may have been a timeline associated with it which caused it to expire. The same goes with Craig (he has one more on his docket).

Having said that, do you really want him back for one more after B25 given how he's aging? I wouldn't. So it's ok with me if B25 is his final film. I just wish they'd get on with it, even though I can appreciate that a lot is outside their control.

Sadly, the break that everyone wanted has created even more uncertainty because times have moved on. If they had just jumped right into B25 after SP they may have been able to get this film done sooner and out the door. Same if they had moved forward with the earlier 'proposed' two parter for SP and B25.

Regarding the young fans, I think they've already lost quite a few.
    The competitive landscape has changed considerably over the past four to five years. They will have to find a niche and rebuild. Best to go back to one's roots and start from there imho (focus on the base), like how they did with CR and GE.

Of course they have. M:I films and other franchises attract the younger audiences much more than Bond. I don't go to the cinema (much) anymore, but when I did, the majority of the audiences were 40+ year olds for the Bond films, and 15-40 year olds for other action films.