No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SharkBait wrote: »
    With 4 year gap Madeleine don't have to be mentioned at all.

General audiences forgot about her three months after seeing the movie. Four years? There would likely be more confusion if she was included.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    What a non-argument!
    Right?!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,619
    I hereby request @jake24 to change the current title of this thread ASAP. Variety simply writes " MGM announced last summer that it would open Bond 25 on Nov. 8, 2019, but it’s unlikely to do so.", and THR writes: "Boyle is the front-runner to direct the Bond movie, and it could prove challenging to promote two films debuting so close together. However, there's speculation that Bond may move to another date since MGM is still figuring out who is going to handle the movie internationally."

Right now this is just pure speculation, nothing more. They have NO inside infomation about a possible release date change, and a possibly release date change is not even rumoured right now. In other words: NOTHING has changed.
    jake24 wrote: »
    This Borys sound like he's just speculating. "Very likely" isn't confirmation.

Interesting developments about a possible delay. Although, like @Panchito said, it likely won't be more than 2-3 months.
    What the heck? You write that Borys is just speculating, but describe the specualtions in those articles posted by Pierce2Daniel as "developments"??
    Development: An event constituting a new stage in a changing situation. The word doesn't suggest certainty.

Are you seriously insinuating that Borys is "confirming" a possible delay in that tweet? Let's not kid ourselves.
    What on Earth are you smoking? Of course Borys is not "confiming" anything, but EVEN if he were, why would his tweet "confirm" a delay??? He wrote "This movie will wrap by summer, giving him time to make Bond's Nov. 2019 release."
    Casually leaving out the first part of the tweet, eh? Please refer to @Pierce's post. He mentioned that Borys was confirming, which in reality is not the case.

Stop splitting hairs.
    Splittng hairs??? Read his tweet again: "Danny Boyle will have quite the fall of 2019 if he also does James Bond, which is very (very) likely the case. This movie will wrap by summer, giving him time to make Bond's Nov. 2019 release."

Why would ANYONE think that any part of this tweet "confirms" a delay??????????
    I don't know!!!!!! I share your confusion!!!!!!!
    Then why did you write "Are you seriously insinuating that Borys is "confirming" a possible delay in that tweet?" when NOBODY was even CLOSE to insinuating that.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Unlikely to meet release date... You could see that one coming a mile away.
    the only excuse of a delay is their making the best bond film ever conceived. and i doubt craigs 5th outing will be that.
    I still say it's in the realm of possibility for B25 to make it's intended release date. I won't rule out 2019 altogether.
    Or it will be overrated like Skyfall. I just wish I'm going to be on the the side who think it's great, one of the best..the new..@#!
    Ugh. I thought the wait was already long enough for November 2019. Now possibly even more time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Spectre
    I hereby request @jake24 to change the current title of this thread ASAP. Variety simply writes " MGM announced last summer that it would open Bond 25 on Nov. 8, 2019, but it’s unlikely to do so.", and THR writes: "Boyle is the front-runner to direct the Bond movie, and it could prove challenging to promote two films debuting so close together. However, there's speculation that Bond may move to another date since MGM is still figuring out who is going to handle the movie internationally."

Right now this is just pure speculation, nothing more. They have NO inside infomation about a possible release date change, and a possibly release date change is not even rumoured right now. In other words: NOTHING has changed.

Interesting self defense mechanism you have going on there.
    If It's delayed until 2020- that will have given us only 2 films in the 2010's. At that rate, I could expect only one film in the 2020's then no films in the 2030's.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Maybe the backlog will be addressed in the 2030s and they'll do ten--one per year.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I know right now they’re saying it’s all speculation, but I’ve had a feeling since day one this film will get delayed. I hope I’m proven wrong.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I wouldn't stress over this development.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I've been advised by members here that Variety and The Hollywood Reporter are legitimate and credible sources. Their mutual speculation about a delay in the release date of B25 seems to hinge more on the issues around MGM's future rather than on account of Boyle's film. That is how I read the respective articles anyway.

In my view, they are both correct. If there is going to be a delay (and I'm not saying there will be) it will be on account of the future distributor's intentions and not on account of Boyle. He has plenty of time with post-production on his film and to do Bond as well.

I wonder why they both decided to throw this speculation out there on the same day. Could they have heard something through the grapevine?

I still think MGM will try to get B25 into the theatres by Nov 2019. It doesn't make sense to delay it into a new fiscal year and have another weak showing by the film division as a result.

If they do push it into 2020, I do wish they'd get on with a recast though. Stretching this thing any further (to five years) really is pushing it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I wonder if a recast at that point would make for an even further delay: finding a new Bond, perhaps going with a script re-work to account for a new actor, etc. At this rate though, I wouldn't mind. What's another few months or an extra year if it allows us to start fresh and possibly get back on track with getting an installment every other year again? It's unlikely, but one can dream.
    Pushing it to 2020 will likely only allot a couple extra months for post-production. It'll still be shot in the same year (unless they delay it entire year, which seems pretty doubtful at this point).
    If they delay by a few months it's gonna get crushed by Star Wars.
    If they don't meet Nov 2019 then I can't see it being released before May 2020. Normally mega blockbusters don't come out in the timeframe between January and April (I'm sure there are exceptions) and December is already booked by the SW beast.

Thinking about it some more, it really would be great to see Bond kick off the summer movie season in May 2020 though, especially if it's a new concept. That's usually a good slot to get, but I'm not sure who's slated for that timeframe at the moment.

If the delay is on account of an MGM sale (honestly I can't see any other reason for a delay at this point), then they may not shoot this year. These kinds of business deals can slow things down and cause decisions to be revisited.

That's why I hope, if there is an acquisition, that MGM sell with a previously mutually 'agreed to' package for Bond.

I look forward to more clarity by Variety and/or THR on why they speculated about a delay.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Victor Fleming directed GONE WITH THE WIND and THE WIZARD OF OZ in the same year. Course he had some first rate assistance and backing.

To be specific, Gone With the Wind started production with George Cukor directing. Clark Gable didn't like him and Cukor was replaced with Fleming. Then Fleming bugged out for a time and was replaced by Sam Wood. Fleming may have come back later.
  • //If they don't meet Nov 2019 then I can't see it being released before May 2020. Normally mega blockbusters don't come out in the timeframe between January and April (I'm sure there are exceptions) and December is already booked by the SW beast.//

Black Panther came out in February and certainly qualifies as a mega blockbuster at this point.
    //If they don't meet Nov 2019 then I can't see it being released before May 2020. Normally mega blockbusters don't come out in the timeframe between January and April (I'm sure there are exceptions) and December is already booked by the SW beast.//

Black Panther came out in February and certainly qualifies as a mega blockbuster at this point.
    That's a very good point, and would certainly qualify as one of the exceptions I mentioned in my post.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    //If they don't meet Nov 2019 then I can't see it being released before May 2020. Normally mega blockbusters don't come out in the timeframe between January and April (I'm sure there are exceptions) and December is already booked by the SW beast.//

That's a very good point, and would certainly qualify as one of the exceptions I mentioned in my post.

I should have cited Black Panther more as an exception. Goes for the original Deadpool (which also came out in February 2016). You get a few big movies, but a lot not so big in Feburary.
    bondjames wrote: »

I should have cited Black Panther more as an exception. Goes for the original Deadpool (which also came out in February 2016). You get a few big movies, but a lot not so big in Feburary.
    Deadpool is certainly another one (I've yet to see that).

What are your thoughts on the Variety/THR speculation? Do you foresee a delay?

I think it's possible. I've been more skeptical than others, given the lack of a distributor/lack of secured financing. However, I found it amusing that this latest THR story didn't even cite its own April 4 story about how the distribution issue was delayed while MGM decided whether to sell itself or not.

I think it's possible. I've been more skeptical than others, given the lack of a distributor/lack of secured financing. However, I found it amusing that this latest THR story didn't even cite its own April 4 story about how the distribution issue was delayed while MGM decided whether to sell itself or not.

It should also be noted that the Reddit guy recently said the musical/comedy (whichever it is) would be filmed first but would be shown after Bond 25. But the Universal announcement would appear to render that statement inoperative.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

Yes, that's a good point. Both the articles aren't very well written in terms of fleshing out how they came to the conclusion that a delay is possible. Variety just says MGM is unlikely to meet the date and THR says it's likely on account of not securing a distributor, but there isn't any proper background or context to the thinking in either story. It's possibly confusing to an uninitiated and uninformed reader.

One would think they must have heard something from somewhere in order to report this though.
  • One of the hazards of doing "real-time" journalism. I used to do that for a living. It's not easy. But after getting out the news, the outlet should try to update to add perspective/background.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Because it wasn't a blockbuster property yet. Now that it is, future installments will likely not be released in the early year.

If it’s pushed to 2020, hopefully it won’t be too long. If a difference of months results in far better quality, it’s worth it. Still, I hate how infrequent Bond films have become. Not a great time to be a fan sadly.