No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Will Neal Purvis and Robert Wade still be writers for the film if Danny Boyle does direct, or will Hodge take full writing credit?
    I've been meaning to ask this myself. Prior to Boyle & Hodge presenting them with this idea, EON/Craig supposedly had a script they were happy with (and even began meeting with numerous directors). Are Purvis & Wade completely out of the picture or will there be some form of collaboration?

There have been many instances of writers exiting a project, only for a bulk of their ideas to be used without credit. And this almost never ends well.
    Purvis & Wade are completely out of the picture.
    You really don't have any more knowledge than the rest of us.

This. Just like Radiohead was doing the SP theme song, only for it not to happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Why is the acting so much worse in spectre compared to skyfall concerning the same actors and same director. Because it is right? And how can that be avoided for B25
    It's a very good question. I don't think they cast the new roles properly (Seydoux and Waltz weren't up to the standards of Marlohe and Bardem imho). The rest of it is down to a poor base script and a rushed production with changes happening on the fly right up to the end. The film is a mishmash of ideas and tones which came together haphazardly and without a coherent vision.

So for B25 I would hope that they take their time and lock down that vision and script before beginning production. Of course minor changes, tweaks & polishes can happen as they always do but they shouldn't be making major changes while shooting is underway like they did last time.

Furthermore, I think they need to have enough time to do this properly even when shooting begins. These productions, post-production & editing are all very tight, time wise, for such a large effort. Quite frankly it must be a nightmare to get through.

A smaller and less ambitious effort could help to keep it focused and manageable as well.

Fair enough, however QOS didn’t really have a script and while there is a case to be made that the film isn’t good, the acting can’t be faulted
    That's a fair point. A very good observation in fact.

Craig carried QoS and energized it. He didn't show up for SP. Perhaps that just dragged everyone else down because he, as Bond, is in nearly every scene.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    From past experience, I think a four year production seems to work best. That gap between QoS and Skyfall seemed to do the film the world of good, obviously the Olympics helped but still. So with the same time now between Spectre and Bond 25, my hope is restored.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think how long the gaps are is irrelevant to the quality.
    From past experience, I think a four year production seems to work best. That gap between QoS and Skyfall seemed to do the film the world of good, obviously the Olympics helped but still. So with the same time now between Spectre and Bond 25, my hope is restored.
    Anecdotally yes, but they only started on this Boyle script recently to my knowledge. So really, if they had their ducks in order, they could have shaved two years off this wait. It's not like it's going to be any less rushed at the end of the day. The SF delay was forced on them to a degree by MGM's woes as I recall. They sort of had Mendes's idea locked quite early.
    I tend to agree.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Getafix wrote: »
    Will Neal Purvis and Robert Wade still be writers for the film if Danny Boyle does direct, or will Hodge take full writing credit?
    I've been meaning to ask this myself. Prior to Boyle & Hodge presenting them with this idea, EON/Craig supposedly had a script they were happy with (and even began meeting with numerous directors). Are Purvis & Wade completely out of the picture or will there be some form of collaboration?

There have been many instances of writers exiting a project, only for a bulk of their ideas to be used without credit. And this almost never ends well.
    Purvis & Wade are completely out of the picture.

we thought that with SP as well until they were brought back. I wouldn't be surprised if they are asked to do some fiddling with the script
    EON will DEFINITELY ask them to do some fiddling with the script, then Boyle will say: "It's either 100% John Hodge, or I'm out." To which EON will say on their knees: "Yes, Sir! It's 100% Hodge".

Seriously, guys, with Boyle on board, forget everything you knew about how EON makes a Bond film.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anecdotally yes, but they only started on this Boyle script recently to my knowledge. So really, if they had their ducks in order, they could have shaved two years off this wait. It's not like it's going to be any less rushed at the end of the day. The SF delay was forced on them to a degree by MGM's woes as I recall. They sort of had Mendes's idea locked quite early.
    I tend to agree.

All very true, I'm just crossing every finger possible that this is gonna be a great Bond film haha :D
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I tend to agree.

All very true, I'm just crossing every finger possible that this is gonna be a great Bond film haha :D
    I certainly hope so too. We deserve it for our patience.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    If you type Bond 25 into Google, Jez Butterworth is listed as another writer. HUH? I think this might be a mistake that someones carried over from Spectre.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,730
    If you type Bond 25 into Google, Jez Butterworth is listed as another writer. HUH? I think this might be a mistake that someones carried over from Spectre.

Google isn’t super good. I remember they had spectres running time as like 2:40 or something for many months after release despite it being less then that.

Edit- I checked right now, and it’s still listed as 2:40. The film is 2:28 in actuality
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,293

Isn't there quite a lot copy-paste info on Bond 25? It was the last time I checked.
    I find,and i know this is unusual,that WIKI is actually pretty on the ball with B25......someone is very keen to update it ,and so far correctly.
    Naomi looking well, sincerely hoping for some sort of update soon!!!!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Does anybody have a clip of naomie harris's comments from graham norton?

This?

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited April 2018 Posts: 3,157

Agreed. Dr No, FRWL, GF and OHMSS all took shorter than Skyfall and SPECTRE and are all arguably better than both (personally I also rank QoS higher than Skyfall and it took half the time to be made).
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2018 Posts: 10,512
    Walecs wrote: »

Agreed. Dr No, FRWL, GF and OHMSS all took shorter than Skyfall and SPECTRE and are all arguably better than both (personally I also rank QoS higher than Skyfall and it took half the time to be made).

QoS is hugely overrated. It’s ‘fine’, nothing more. Tragically aligned, by certain Bond fans, with OHMSS, which absolutely dumps on it from a stratospheric height.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    RC7 wrote: »

QoS is hugely overrated. It’s ‘fine’, nothing more. Tragically aligned, by certain Bond fans, with OHMSS, which absolutely dumps on it from a stratospheric height.

I agree wholeheartedly.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    QOS forever, my friends.
    CR > SF > QOS > SP.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    We have all the QOS in the world.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837

To be honest even fine is a strong word. I'd say something like TND is fine. Nothing spectacular, but solid. QoS is an overrated pretentious mess imo. The writers strike didn't help but the film never stood a chance with Marc "lets make it short and fast 'like a bullet' even though we've got a million subplots to deal with but also make sure we waste what little running time time we do have on all my crap poorly edited chase scenes guys because they represent the elements it's so deep and arty" Forster behind the camera.

Indeed. I find DN, FRWL, GF and OHMSS to be galaxies above SF and SP.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,087

To be honest even fine is a strong word. I'd say something like TND is fine. Nothing spectacular, but solid. QoS is an overrated pretentious mess imo. The writers strike didn't help but the film never stood a chance with Marc "lets make it short and fast 'like a bullet' even though we've got a million subplots to deal with but also make sure we waste what little running time time we do have on all my crap poorly edited chase scenes guys because they represent the elements it's so deep and arty" Forster behind the camera.

I agree, "fine" is far too generous.

In reality the time needed between films is probably more connected to the type of story they're making. Something like TND can be cranked out, whereas a deeper story with more layers should take longer. SP was like TND, yet they thought they had a masterpiece on their hands that would tie everything together. Hopefully there is proper story for Bond 25 that justifies the gap, so we can get back to proper missions thereafter.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited April 2018 Posts: 732
    The comparison between OHMSS and QoS is mostly, in my book, the fact that the movie slowly grew on Bond fans over time instead of being an instant hit. „Out there“ many people still either don‘t know about the movie (OHMSS) or it‘s the one „with that other guy“.

Personally, I like QoS a lot - for many valid reasons. It will never be CR (which the majority of the fan community finds great) but it‘s fan base seems to grow over time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm sure Boyle will do a great job but I'm worried we're gonna go back to the tone of QoS, that gritty, hard tone,

This is something to celebrate and not to be worried about.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm sure Boyle will do a great job but I'm worried we're gonna go back to the tone of QoS, that gritty, hard tone,

+1

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I couldn't care less about tone. I would welcome a lighter tone, but i don't expect that from Craig and thats fine. What i want is a good, entertaining and coherent movie that works. Craig only delivered two of those, but exceeded all expectations with both of them. Judging by the pattern of his movies, the next one should be a winner.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    doubleoego wrote: »

+1

+2
  • RC7RC7
    It just needs to be exciting and have an element of fun (that doesn’t mean comedy). QoS is neither of those, CR is. I’m happy for them to experiment with tone as long as it fits the above criteria.
    I just have this feeling Blofeld will be back in some way. I just feel the producers would want that.