No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    bondjames wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    The Boyle-Harris previous collaboration pretty much guarantees that she will return.
    I'm not so sure. It depends on what Boyle's mandate is. We'll see.

Would Boyle have known what the new MP would be like if he's had this idea since London 2012 though?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    The Boyle-Harris previous collaboration pretty much guarantees that she will return.
    I'm not so sure. It depends on what Boyle's mandate is. We'll see.

Would Boyle have known what the new MP would be like if he's had this idea since London 2012 though?
    No, and that's precisely my point. Apart from Cashleypersia's musings over at reddit we really don't know anything about this so called 'golden idea'. It could just involve Bond, since there was no Scooby prior to 2012.
    Harris has almost nothing to do in these films, and yet she always seems excited about appearing in them. The job must pay a boatload of cash.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited April 2018 Posts: 732
    I am not at all against M, Q and Moneypenny - but with limited screen time. Q is the only one I can easily accept being „out there“ like he was in TB, LTK or SP. But M and Moneypenny should stay at their desks - unless they use the Blades scenes of the Moonraker novel. Plus maybe show Bond on the Golf course again - would be kinda cool.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    An idea is just an idea. I doubt he hed a full film formed in his mind.
    I had a dream I got to watch a couple scenes of Bond 25. I saw a scene of Bond talking to M (couldn’t see who M was...) and an underwater action scene like TSWLM...
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Why is the acting so much worse in spectre compared to skyfall concerning the same actors and same director. Because it is right? And how can that be avoided for B25
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Why is the acting so much worse in spectre compared to skyfall concerning the same actors and same director. Because it is right? And how can that be avoided for B25

Better writing would help.
    Script and inconsistent tone were a part of it. The crew seemed sort of exhausted half the time. SP is kind of like the hangover after SF I guess.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Script and inconsistent tone were a part of it. The crew seemed sort of exhausted half the time. SP is kind of like the hangover after SF I guess.

Good way to put it.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's a very good question. I don't think they cast the new roles properly (Seydoux and Waltz weren't up to the standards of Marlohe and Bardem imho). The rest of it is down to a poor base script and a rushed production with changes happening on the fly right up to the end. The film is a mishmash of ideas and tones which came together haphazardly and without a coherent vision.

So for B25 I would hope that they take their time and lock down that vision and script before beginning production. Of course minor changes, tweaks & polishes can happen as they always do but they shouldn't be making major changes while shooting is underway like they did last time.

Furthermore, I think they need to have enough time to do this properly even when shooting begins. These productions, post-production & editing are all very tight, time wise, for such a large effort. Quite frankly it must be a nightmare to get through.

A smaller and less ambitious effort could help to keep it focused and manageable as well.
  • SeanCraig wrote: »
    I am not at all against M, Q and Moneypenny - but with limited screen time. Q is the only one I can easily accept being „out there“ like he was in TB, LTK or SP. But M and Moneypenny should stay at their desks - unless they use the Blades scenes of the Moonraker novel. Plus maybe show Bond on the Golf course again - would be kinda cool.

Historically, writers seemed to want to give the Desmond-Q more time. Maibaum's "shooting script" for OHMSS had more Q scenes than the final film. Q specifically helps Bond pull off the crashing of the train full of corpses. Mankiewicz's first draft (after taking over for Maibaum) on Diamonds shows it was Q who smuggled the real diamonds into the U.S. -- inside of golf balls, as in the book.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Does anybody have a clip of naomie harris's comments from graham norton?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondsum wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    She knows filming will start this year and has cleared her schedule, which is something. Thread will be updated soon.
    Hoorah! At last, some glimmer of news. This sure beats the petty squabbling that's been doing the rounds here lately. Naomie's comments are quite interesting. Could she be out of the picture completely or maybe she's in a much reduced role? Let's hope so. I'm entirely in agreement with @Birdleson's distaste of the Scooby Gang. Their inclusion and overuse has tainted both SF and SP for me. It's all too reminiscent of Kiefer Sutherland's 24, which I think works fine in a TV series but not so much in a short movie. It takes far too much away from Bond himself as he's forced to share the limelight with less important characters. Fingers crossed that Monneypenny is off on vacation for the entire movie. Hopefully she takes Tanner and Q with her.
    Agreed with both of you.

I had a feeling she would know nothing. I also have a feeling she won't be in the film (thank goodness!). Let's see how it plays.
    Interesting. Care to elaborate on this hunch?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Does anybody have a clip of naomie harris's comments from graham norton?
    Couldn't find the Norton clip, but she tells ODE the exact same thing at the premiere for Rampage.

edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    mattjoes wrote: »
    She knows filming will start this year and has cleared her schedule, which is something. Thread will be updated soon.
    Hoorah! At last, some glimmer of news. This sure beats the petty squabbling that's been doing the rounds here lately. Naomie's comments are quite interesting. Could she be out of the picture completely or maybe she's in a much reduced role? Let's hope so. I'm entirely in agreement with @Birdleson's distaste of the Scooby Gang. Their inclusion and overuse has tainted both SF and SP for me. It's all too reminiscent of Kiefer Sutherland's 24, which I think works fine in a TV series but not so much in a short movie. It takes far too much away from Bond himself as he's forced to share the limelight with less important characters. Fingers crossed that Monneypenny is off on vacation for the entire movie. Hopefully she takes Tanner and Q with her.
    Agreed with both of you.

I had a feeling she would know nothing. I also have a feeling she won't be in the film (thank goodness!). Let's see how it plays.
    It's just an intuitive guess. Nothing to back it up really. I just have a feeling the Boyle effort will be a substantial detour in more ways than one from the recent past (otherwise it doesn't make sense to commission his writer's script at this late stage), and Scooby is a Mendes creation through and through. If they really want to break with the past (and I personally think the public wants that), then dropping these less than desirable side characters will be a step in the right direction.

The fact that neither she nor Whishaw know anything about whether they'll be in the film at this stage also leads into my feeling.

I could be completely wrong of course. It wouldn't be the first time. I didn't think Craig would be back to be honest.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 2018 Posts: 6,733
    Agreed with both of you.

It's just an intuitive guess. Nothing to back it up really. I just have a feeling the Boyle effort will be a substantial detour in more ways than one from the recent past (otherwise it doesn't make sense to commission his writer's script at this late stage), and Scooby is a Mendes creation through and through. If they really want to break with the past (and I personally think the public wants that), then dropping these less than desirable side characters will be a step in the right direction.

The fact that neither she nor Whishaw know anything about whether they'll be in the film at this stage also leads into my feeling.

I could be completely wrong of course. It wouldn't be the first time. I didn't think Craig would be back to be honest.
    I see where you are coming from, though I think they'll still be in the film in some capacity (hopefully small). Now that I think about it, and to my own surprise, I wouldn't mind if they didn't appear this time around, even after being reintroduced. So I'm kind of hoping you're right!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,869
    Will Neal Purvis and Robert Wade still be writers for the film if Danny Boyle does direct, or will Hodge take full writing credit?
    To my mind, if they wanted her to star in the movie they would at least given her a hint. After all they can’t expect her to refuse other offers and just sit and wait for them out of goodwill. To me this can only mean two things: either she has no role in the movie or they don’t have any plan at all yet.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Will Neal Purvis and Robert Wade still be writers for the film if Danny Boyle does direct, or will Hodge take full writing credit?
    I've been meaning to ask this myself. Prior to Boyle & Hodge presenting them with this idea, EON/Craig supposedly had a script they were happy with (and even began meeting with numerous directors). Are Purvis & Wade completely out of the picture or will there be some form of collaboration?

There have been many instances of writers exiting a project, only for a bulk of their ideas to be used without credit. And this almost never ends well.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Agreed with both of you.

I'll cross my fingers, hopefully you're right.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I've been meaning to ask this myself. Prior to Boyle & Hodge presenting them with this idea, EON/Craig supposedly had a script they were happy with (and even began meeting with numerous directors). Are Purvis & Wade completely out of the picture or will there be some form of collaboration?

There have been many instances of writers exiting a project, only for a bulk of their ideas to be used without credit. And this almost never ends well.

I imagine it might become a collaboration, like it was with John Logan, but seeing as both Wade and Purvis haven't been mentioned since Boyle announced he was working on a script with Hodge I'm not sure. I personally would love to see all the Craig writers return. Robert Wade, Neal Purvis, Paul Haggis and John Logan. I think the results would be incredible.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 11,425

as someone who wasn't sold on SF and is not a huge fan of SP I can't say I noticed any dramatic deterioration between the two films.

Ben wishaw's performance was significantly better in SP imo.

both films lack energy for me - but that's a Mendes trademark- something I first noticed with Road to Perdition.
    I certainly hope they don't Frankenstein the Purvis & Wade and John Hodge script.

Hope the fresh idea of Boyle and Hoge remains intact.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,869
    Hope the fresh idea of Boyle and Hoge remains intact.

It's an exciting addition to the franchise. It's just hard to judge what kind of film they're going to create considering their catalogue of work.

Purvis & Wade are completely out of the picture.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hard to hope for either, when we know nothing about either.

You really don't have any more knowledge than the rest of us.

we thought that with SP as well until they were brought back. I wouldn't be surprised if they are asked to do some fiddling with the script
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    It's a very good question. I don't think they cast the new roles properly (Seydoux and Waltz weren't up to the standards of Marlohe and Bardem imho). The rest of it is down to a poor base script and a rushed production with changes happening on the fly right up to the end. The film is a mishmash of ideas and tones which came together haphazardly and without a coherent vision.

So for B25 I would hope that they take their time and lock down that vision and script before beginning production. Of course minor changes, tweaks & polishes can happen as they always do but they shouldn't be making major changes while shooting is underway like they did last time.

Furthermore, I think they need to have enough time to do this properly even when shooting begins. These productions, post-production & editing are all very tight, time wise, for such a large effort. Quite frankly it must be a nightmare to get through.

A smaller and less ambitious effort could help to keep it focused and manageable as well.

Fair enough, however QOS didn’t really have a script and while there is a case to be made that the film isn’t good, the acting can’t be faulted