No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

TripAces wrote: »
    Some random thoughts to either stir or calm the waters, here:

1. From what I am reading, the delay on Bond 25 would be the result of Boyle's work schedule more than the shake-up at MGM.
    2. I am having a hard time figuring out why Universal is going to wait so long to release the Boyle musical-comedy. That film will be shooting soon and likely done by July. So why the 15-month post-production? That is insane. That film should be ready for release next spring. Unless...
    3. Universal has pushed back that release date to CAPITALIZE on Bond. If so, this would suggest that the Bond 25 release date is firm. Or it could be at Boyle's request so that he is not doing the circuit while in production on Bond 25 (which makes sense).
    4. There is no way EON (and MGM) would tie itself to Boyle if his other commitments were standing in the way. MGM is hurting and desperately needs Bond. Any delay is like tossing money into the wind. The investors won't have any of it.
    5. If i am wrong, and EON is sticking with Boyle and allowing his work schedule to dictate the release of Bond 25, then this idea of his and Hodge's better be damn good.

I would hope his "idea" is good, but I am completely skeptical after brother-gate. For all we know, Boyle's concept might be that Bond's parents never actually died in a climbing accident, and that Bond's biological father is actually Sheriff JW Pepper of the Louisiana State Police (with Joe Don Baker in talks to return to the series to tackle that iconic role).
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I would hope his "idea" is good, but I am completely skeptical after brother-gate. For all we know, Boyle's concept might be that Bond's parents never actually died in a climbing accident, and that Bond's biological father is actually Sheriff JW Pepper of the Louisiana State Police (with Joe Don Baker in talks to return to the series to tackle that iconic role).

Hold on to my beer, you've given me a great idea for a script!

octofinger wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Hold on to my beer, you've given me a great idea for a script!

I thought it was a funny thing to post. LOL
    I'm starting to lean towards eon & Babs selling. Their too slow for the film industry today
  • RC7RC7
    Love the unending vitriol fired EON’s way, but nothing for MGM.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,164
    // There is no way EON (and MGM) would tie itself to Boyle if his other commitments were standing in the way. MGM is hurting and desperately needs Bond. Any delay is like tossing money into the wind. The investors won't have any of it.//

Unless the delay is related to MGM trying to sell itself and using its Bond rights as a selling point. That's what The Hollywood Reporter reported last week.

IF the studio is trying to sell itself, it makes sense it would delay striking a distribution deal. IF the studio sells itself (presumably at a good price), investor concern goes away.

That is exactly what THR's speculation on the possible delay says
    However, there is speculation that the Bond pic may move to another date, since MGM is still figuring out who is going to handle it internationally.

I've said this already, this isn't because of Boyle, even Baz said there's a deal between EON and Working Title to make this work for Boyle...
    RC7 wrote: »
    Love the unending vitriol fired EON’s way, but nothing for MGM.

damn right. this delay hold up is clearly because of them. EON seem to have everything sorted on their end (script pending?), even managed to find a way to make Boyle doing the musical AND B25 work.
    Well? The title of this thread seriously depresses me now!!! This is the only thread I will comment on tonight! Consider me annoyed if this turns out to be the case?!!!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    EON is doing its best to lose even the most loyal of us. I'm thinking that focusing primarily on the past is where I will find peace as a Bond fan.

Agree. The annual tradition of watching certain Bond films during the summer, keeps my interest intact.
    EON is doing its best to lose even the most loyal of us. I'm thinking that focusing primarily on the past is where I will find peace as a Bond fan.

The future will become the past, and the time will come when there will be over a hundred official Bond movies.
  • RC7RC7

LTK-GE, MGM. QoS-SF, MGM. SP-B25, MGM. B25 has been in development for several years. Perhaps when you look to the past you’ll also see it was here every issue we currently face was seeded. Harry’s bitterness is why we’re here.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RC7 wrote: »

LTK-GE, MGM. QoS-SF, MGM. SP-B25, MGM. B25 has been in development for several years. Perhaps when you look to the past you’ll also see it was here every issue we currently face was seeded. Harry’s bitterness is why we’re here.

But they would not have made B25 anyway. They were waiting for Craig's decision and they also wanted to spend some time on side uninteresting projects.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @RC7 was rightly saying these hold-ups can be laid at the feet of MGM...

And MGM have half the rights of the Bond franchise, why? Saltzman didn't want to sell to Cubby.

As @antovolk has also, rightly, commented: EoN had ducks in a row to start shooting 25 with Boyle (making agreements with another film company so Boyle could shoot back-to-back and edit both films as well).

MGM is dragging their feet. Why? Who knows? Are they going to sell? Who knows? But they know they can get a distributor on board with a snap of the fingers. They know this, yet they still haven't bothered partnering with someone (wasn't it just a few months ago that they heard pitches from distributors? with Sony even re-creating the set of Dr No to impress?).

People may not like the new films, or Craig, or whatever, but when looking at delays? look at MGM to be the culprit (a company that would sink entirely if it wasn't for Bond... just look at their most recent out-put-- most of their productions are pathetic).
  • //And MGM have half the rights of the Bond franchise, why? Saltzman didn't want to sell to Cubby.

Just asking because I don't know. Did Broccoli offer more than United Artists paid?
  • //(wasn't it just a few months ago that they heard pitches from distributors? with Sony even re-creating the set of Dr No to impress?).//

That was reported by The New York Times on April 20, 2017, almost a year ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html?mcubz=0&_r=0
  • Birdleson wrote: »

The future will become the past, and the time will come when there will be over a hundred official Bond movies.

At the current rate of production, the 100th film will be out around 2390.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

At the current rate of production, the 100th film will be out around 2390.

I've already got my tickets reserved.
  • Not to be taken seriously, but Bond 100 would be out:

--2244 (assuming a three-year interval per film, assuming a 2019 release date for Bond 25).

--2319 (assuming a four-year interval per film, assuming a 2019 release date for Bond 25).

-- 2394 (assuming a five-year interval per film, assuming a 2019 release date for Bond 25).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    //(wasn't it just a few months ago that they heard pitches from distributors? with Sony even re-creating the set of Dr No to impress?).//

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

@AlexanderWaverly ... Forgive me-- I'm missing your point. EoN is ready to shoot B25 and has made arrangements with another film company regarding the mutual director who will be shooting these film... It really does (as in most cases re: Bond delays), be an MGM agenda/stumble/dragging of feet.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,115
    peter wrote: »
    //(wasn't it just a few months ago that they heard pitches from distributors? with Sony even re-creating the set of Dr No to impress?).//

@AlexanderWaverly ... Forgive me-- I'm missing your point. EoN is ready to shoot B25 and has made arrangements with another film company regarding the mutual director who will be shooting these film... It really does (as in most cases re: Bond delays), be an MGM agenda/stumble/dragging of feet.

My point was only to provide the specific date it was reported that five studios were seeking the Bond 25 distribution deal. Someone said wasn't it just a few months ago. I was just providing the specific date (and link) that it was longer than that. Nothing else intended.

I would agree MGM developments is *the main* reason for the current delay. However, I would say Eon and Craig have had a role, but not as big a role as MGM. Craig wanted a longer break. He got it. Eon/Barbara Broccoli wanted to do other things. It/she did them.
  • MrOrlovMrOrlov GoldenEyedGunToKill

Oh, i fell you. And it's not like we have any other Bond-related media at the moment to keep us occupied and talking (well, besides some comics, but i haven't read them).

I've noticed people stopped talking about those rumors that were circulating a week ago.

P.S. Hello everybody, btw)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    MGM indicated in their last conference call that they are shooting for a release date of 2019 and are working with their partners, EON, to achieve that. We have nothing concrete at this moment to suggest that this is not the case. Presumably if they are not selling they will make an arrangement with a distributor soon.

I cannot imagine that someone like Danny Boyle would be brought in at this late stage without at least preliminary discussions with a distributor about whether they are on board with this decision. After all, the distributor has to fund a large component of the production and will be promoting the film overseas. Consequently, if they are not onside with the scope and premise of the film, there will be no deal, or at the very least there will be a different structure to the financial arrangements of the deal. At the end of the day this is a business arrangement, and financial considerations and forecasts will dictate what sort of money is put up and what sort of margin is accepted.

Officially, what we know is that the script is either ready in first draft or very close to being ready. Then I would imagine there would be a review and some discussion around it. If there are fundamental disagreements about scope and approach, that could presumably result in a delay, independent of a possible sale of the studio to a 3rd party.

I have no problems with another year's delay in order for MGM to get its house in order and get on a more solid footing. That will only help to set the stage for a more rapid release schedule going forward for Bond #007, and that is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
  • //I cannot imagine that someone like Danny Boyle would be brought in at this late stage without at least preliminary discussions with a distributor about whether they are on board with this decision.//

We know there were at least preliminary discussions. The New York Times reported almost a year ago about the studios bidding on the distribution deal.

However, it's also clear the release date was announced (July 24, 2017) with no distributor in place. Maybe all concerned everything would fall into place. MGM and Annapurna announced their U.S. distribution joint venture on Oct. 31, 2017.

But I don't think we can assume everything is still almost in place. IF MGM really is trying to sell itself, all bets easily could be off. If the buyer had its own movie distribution operation, why mess around with what has gone on before?
    //I cannot imagine that someone like Danny Boyle would be brought in at this late stage without at least preliminary discussions with a distributor about whether they are on board with this decision.//

We know there were at least preliminary discussions. The New York Times reported almost a year ago about the studios bidding on the distribution deal.
    Yes, that's true and I agree. I was referring more to the decision to even consider Boyle as director off a Hodge script (rather than Demange or whomever). That decision came far more recently than the initial roadshow bids, and my point is that I believe MGM/EON consulted the potential distributor about this move. That's not to say it's final though, which is why everyone is still playing it close to the vest. It's going to be script dependent, which is as it should be after the disgraceful and very public fiasco of SP.
    However, it's also clear the release date was announced (July 24, 2017) with no distributor in place. Maybe all concerned everything would fall into place. MGM and Annapurna announced their U.S. distribution joint venture on Oct. 31, 2017.
    Again I also agree with you. I vividly remember some suggesting then that a distribution deal had to have been in place for Craig to have made his announcement and for the release date to have been set. We now know that was not the case, and those who were more cautious about the state of affairs at that time appear to have been correct. It now seems that the release date was a proposed date to stake territory. If I'm not mistaken, they did something similar for SP as well, although that announcement was more detailed, with actor, director etc. To date we've only had the official MGM/EON announcement about P&W and release date together last July. Since then, we've learned that P&W may be out, and now the release date is also in question. No official distributor yet either.
    But I don't think we can assume everything is still almost in place. IF MGM really is trying to sell itself, all bets easily could be off. If the buyer had its own movie distribution operation, why mess around with what has gone on before?
    Again I completely agree with you. If MGM is trying to sell then all bets are indeed off. I have no problems with that being the case, but again I am willing to bet that Boyle is a part of such conversations. It doesn't make sense to commission a Boyle/Hodge script if there is major uncertainty about a sale. I think many of us have suspected that a sale could occur, ever since we learned of the aborted one in 2016. So Boyle is a part of such conversations imho. The only impact will be a release date delay while such deal (if it happens) is consummated.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    * I would imagine that a delay is not in anyone's interests at the moment..., especially if MGM is thinking about selling. It needs to show its value with their library and production. And right now--

--they have an Academy Award winning director finalizing the script for a Bond film, with his writer executing the script, and; a proven Bond actor that is ready to go and has been successful over the past decade.

Everyone involved will know what a Bond film will make-- this is not a guessing a game: it's not Marvel; it's not Bourne; we will clear $750 million dollars WW.

Re-casting 007 brings the unknown... You will lose Boyle and his writer. You bring on an unproven new actor as Bond... All of a sudden, the for-sure numbers above (estimating a healthy profit average during the Craig years), and you can no longer guarantee any number for a new distributor.

That would be very bad business, IMHO.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondjames wrote: »
    MGM indicated in their last conference call that they are shooting for a release date of 2019 and are working with their partners, EON, to achieve that. We have nothing concrete at this moment to suggest that this is not the case. Presumably if they are not selling they will make an arrangement with a distributor soon.

I cannot imagine that someone like Danny Boyle would be brought in at this late stage without at least preliminary discussions with a distributor about whether they are on board with this decision. After all, the distributor has to fund a large component of the production and will be promoting the film overseas. Consequently, if they are not onside with the scope and premise of the film, there will be no deal, or at the very least there will be a different structure to the financial arrangements of the deal. At the end of the day this is a business arrangement, and financial considerations and forecasts will dictate what sort of money is put up and what sort of margin is accepted.

Officially, what we know is that the script is either ready in first draft or very close to being ready. Then I would imagine there would be a review and some discussion around it. If there are fundamental disagreements about scope and approach, that could presumably result in a delay, independent of a possible sale of the studio to a 3rd party.

I have no problems with another year's delay in order for MGM to get its house in order and get on a more solid footing. That will only help to set the stage for a more rapid release schedule going forward for Bond #007, and that is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you. It seems the thread is in panic/apopletic mode over speculatory statements buried deep in a semi-related news story.
    TripAces wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Thank you. It seems the thread is in panic/apopletic mode over speculatory statements buried deep in a semi-related news story.
    You're welcome. Yes, there's really no need to panic. Whatever happens will be for the best because MGM is working to be more financially secure once and for all. In the meanwhile EON are working on the creative end within the boundaries that they can play in for the time being to get everything ready to go.

There is no confirmation from anyone yet that anything is being delayed, even though there might be some 'rumblings' and understandable fear.
    A new actors first will guarantee 5-550 worldwide
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Tuck91 , maybe, no argument from me. But a Craig Bond film, with Boyle, guarantees a low-end $750 million (averaging his films and accounting for inflation, and taming the BEAST that SF was)... Right now, DC is the smart choice for maximum profit.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    A new actors first will guarantee 5-550 worldwide

Isn’t that really bad since spectre needed 650 to break even
  • peterpeter Toronto
    it all depends on the budget @JamesBondKenya