No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Oof. Saw someone promote the idea of this "female villain with a personal connection" to Bond being Vesper's twin sister.
    A similar gimmick was almost done with Goldfinger for DAF, wasn’t it?

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    talos7 wrote: »
    Oof. Saw someone promote the idea of this "female villain with a personal connection" to Bond being Vesper's twin sister.

Oh yeah goldfinger's twin brother imagine how that would have turned out
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol, yep.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    mattjoes wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »
    MGM is such a millstone around Bond's neck.
    Is there any way for EON to "escape" from MGM, bankruptcy aside?
    I read something about Danjaq and its shares all around, but apparently, Cubby bought Harry's shares from UA/MGM back in the 80s in exchange for exclusive distribution deals on the Bond films if Eon/Danjaq are to produce them.

But... The way I see it, MGM won't sell the Bond franchise anytime soon. At least not "their share".
    I see. But for the sake of speculating, can EON go around MGM's back and strike a deal with Sony, or whoever, so that they take ownership of Bond? Would EON have anything to entice them with?
    No, they can't legally do this. MGM own half of the rights. EON can only deal for their half. Not MGM's.
    Though hypothetically, someone could make MGM an offer they couldn't refuse for their half of the rights. The problem is MGM doesn't want to sell, but I figure even they would be willing to, for the right price. But obviously that wouldn't be profitable for any prospective buyers. That's why I was asking if there was anything EON could offer a prospective buyer of MGM's half to induce them to buy, like an increased production schedule with more frequent releases, that kind of thing.
    Yes, you're correct on that. EON is critical to a possible sale of MGM (and their share of the rights) to a prospective buyer. Any buyer will have to work with EON on Bond after all, and if the two are not compatible then the deal won't go through. So in a way EON could be an obstacle to a possible MGM sale to a purchaser, because the buyer will never control all of Bond, but just 50%.

So yes, EON is a huge component of any deal, and if they are onside with a new partner they could indeed sweeten the pot by offering up incentives.

For all we know Boyle + Hodge may be one of those sweeteners. Sure sounds better than P&W + Demange.
  • //EON is critical to a possible sale of MGM (and their share of the rights) to a prospective buyer. Any buyer will have to work with EON on Bond after all, and if the two are not compatible then the deal won't go through. //

Unless, of course, a buyer has a big enough checkbook and buys out Eon/Danjaq as well. And don't think that isn't possible. See Lucas, George.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    //EON is critical to a possible sale of MGM (and their share of the rights) to a prospective buyer. Any buyer will have to work with EON on Bond after all, and if the two are not compatible then the deal won't go through. //

Unless, of course, a buyer has a big enough checkbook and buys out Eon/Danjaq as well. And don't think that isn't possible. See Lucas, George.
    Indeed, that is always a distinct possibility. Given market conditions and the dealmaking and consolidation in this industry now seems like the right time to cash out for top $$, if that's in fact something they want to do.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2018 Posts: 4,548
    TripAces wrote: »
    Still no distributor? How is that possible? The film premieres in 18 months.

They don't need a distributor in place to begin filming. They don't even need one in place during filming. Many films are financed and filmed and in the can without a distributor. Many are then shown at Sundance or SxSW, and only then do they sign a distribution deal and get wide release a few months later. If EON needs that distributor for trailers, then they have 12 months from now to get it done.

Most films don't cost $250 million (or whatever the final price tag was for SPECTRE. MGM is financially healthier now than it was when it reached that two-picture deal with Sony. But even if Bond 24 has a lower budget, it's going to be much higher than most films MGM makes these days.

The distributor would pick up only 50% of the production costs. I say "only" because it is all relative. Given that there is already a line of studios making a pitch for Bond 25, EON/MGM will have no problem solving that problem.

Besides, as is reported here, the sale of MGM has been in the works for a long time. The latest news isn't a shock and shouldn't delay Bond 25. It was put on the schedule, knowing a sale was imminent and that distribution was in play. EON likely knew that neither of those were issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html
  • bondjames wrote: »
    //EON is critical to a possible sale of MGM (and their share of the rights) to a prospective buyer. Any buyer will have to work with EON on Bond after all, and if the two are not compatible then the deal won't go through. //

Indeed, that is always a distinct possibility. Given market conditions and the dealmaking and consolidation in this industry now seems like the right time to cash out for top $$, if that's in fact something they want to do.

I don't assume that will happen. But I definitely do not assume it won't.
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    Leo The Lion is very protective of his jewels one of them being James Bond.
    Maybe the villain is Moneypenny. That would certainly deviate from the norm!
    The budget absolutely needs to be lowered. You can't be putting $300 million plus into one movie hoping for positive box office returns every single time. It's likely to happen with Bond, don't get me wrong, but they'd be much better off cutting it down to $200 million (or much less, preferably).

200m is still a large budget and they really should be able to do B25 for that amount comfortably.
    I'm wondering If the 1 film only deal is causing problems and could become a big stumbling block.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    I think you've nailed it mate. That hits all the boxes they want to tick:

Woman in a lead role - check
    Ethnic minority in a lead role - check
    Personal angle for Bond - check
    MI6 traitor - check
    A shit idea - check
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 5,767
    bondsum wrote: »
    Been away a while, but I come back to find this Reddit fellow as the source of the latest gossip. Dear-oh-deary-me. OK, let's just pretend for one minute that what Mr. Reddit-man reports is true: That would mean that Bond's new role is a tutor for a rookie spy. Not just any rookie spy but a female rookie spy. This would also imply that not only is she not good enough to earn her own OO status on her own merits as well as having to be mentored by a man, but that she can't be trusted to take care of business by herself. Just how is this meant to fit in with Boyle's "modern world" view? That's hardly going to endear the #MeToo and Time’s Up crowd who want to see a fiercely independent woman doing her own thing, now is it?

And again, are we now meant to believe that the current head of the OO Section has gone completely soft and now requires that all potential new candidates need to be babysat first before they're allowed to complete any mission and earn a kill before gaining admittance into their special branch?

And how is this babysitting thing supposed to work? I thought the whole purpose of being a field agent was that you either had the right stuff (cajones) or you didn't. And if you didn't, you ended up like Miss Moneypenny (in one her less plausible past roles I might add) now working behind a desk. And again, why would the OO Section give a toss about an MI6 agent if they weren't good enough to be admitted to their own branch? This is one reason why I always disliked this mixing up of the MI6 staff with OO Section in the same building nonsense. I much preferred it when they were separate and had their own HQ — you know, just like a secretive division would, not sharing the same bloody roof.

OK. so maybe this isn't the main plot but an insignificant subplot with the "rookie" as the sacrificial lamb. I know some have mentioned Vijay as maybe a possible rookie field agent in the past. I can't recall. I haven't watched that dreadful Carry On Up The Octo-Khyber movie in decades. As Mr Reddit has hinted, there's a role for a female villain too, which suggests there's still a huge piece of the jigsaw missing from what this story is about. Of course, the whole thing could be a complete fabrication and none of this is true. Therefore, feel free to ignore everything that I have just written. On second thoughts, just ignore what I wrote. This Reddit guy is a phoney.
    Well, obviously Bond 25 will be a remake of Octopussy, with TMWTGG´s Mary Goodnight thrown in for good measure.

MI6 Community: Civil War

There would be the faction that wants Brosnan back for one more (led by you and I of course). There would be another faction lobbying for the return of Dalton. And then there would be a group that wants to turn Bond into some sort of art-house expression of emotional angst. Chaos!
    And then there are those who (kind of) qoute Tony Stark, "Is it too much to ask for all of the above?"
    :-)

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to look awry!"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wonder if Blake Lively is going to be in it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wonder if Blake Lively is going to be in it.
    Bond is going to mentor Stefanie Patrick. It's a semi-prequel to The Rhythm Section. Crossover films are the trend, these days. ;)

"Is there another Pussy as well?"

Goodnight, everybody!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 725
    Maybe it's Camille. Who has returned to have sex with Bond because she didn't get to the first time. Oh, but she is also a villain.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Mark Strong says 'James Bond' exhausted Daniel Craig
    https://heraldmailmedia.com/lifestyles/entertainment/mark-strong-says-james-bond-exhausted-daniel-craig/article_d300e8b6-e5b7-5188-b4c6-2406d4966711.html

Mark admits he though his pal Daniel was going to hang up Bond's tuxedo after wrapping on the 2015 film because he found the entire experience of being the face of the franchise tiring, but he's ultimately glad he's back for one final fling as the British spy.

Speaking to The Times newspaper, Mark said: "I think he was totally knackered after the last one, and just felt like he couldn't get it together to do another one, it's a really exhausting process; it takes a long time to shoot, there's a lot of press commitments, the action sequences and everything. [But] he's obviously keen, because he is doing another one."

Interesting comments once again from Mark Strong. Seems his last comments on DC's future were assumptions, going by this.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Spectre was a very grueling shoot for craig as we all know how badly injured he was while filming in Mexico City so yeah craig was drained and needed a long break obviously
    There was probably a time after spectre where he told strong & others close he was done
    Then he should give the role to Tom Cruise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure his wounds and stress were remedied quite well by the millions and millions and millions of dollars he was paid.
    Maybe it's Camille. Who has returned to have sex with Bond because she didn't get to the first time. Oh, but she is also a villain.

As bad as it sounds, I'd still watch it, because of Olga! :D
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Spectre was a very grueling shoot for craig as we all know how badly injured he was while filming in Mexico City so yeah craig was drained and needed a long break obviously

Oh boo hoo. Rog made 7 Bond films in the space of 12 years. Don't remember him ever moaning about being tired....

Oh boo hoo. Rog made 7 Bond films in the space of 12 years. Don't remember him ever moaning about being tired....

Rog even served food on set!

Something big is coming. It's very close.
    I can feel it in my bones.

MI6 traitor - check
    A shit idea - check

MI6 traitor - check
    A shit idea - check

MI6 traitor - check
    A shit idea - check

But then the ethnic minority would be in a negative role and the villain played by too unknown an actress.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm sure his wounds and stress were remedied quite well by the millions and millions and millions of dollars he was paid.

This. It must be nice to take a three year break when the work gets a bit tiring.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Yeah, the tired and exhausted bit is really irritating...

As for Roger Moore never getting tired... it helps, as you see when watching his films, that everything involving physical movement was a stunt double.