No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    MGM is really doing a horrible job managing the distribution situation if I were Babs and Mike i would press them harder to get the distribution deal done faster which i wouldn't be surprised if that's what they are doing right now
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 684
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Strog wrote: »
    MGM is such a millstone around Bond's neck.
    Is there any way for EON to "escape" from MGM, bankruptcy aside?
    I read something about Danjaq and its shares all around, but apparently, Cubby bought Harry's shares from UA/MGM back in the 80s in exchange for exclusive distribution deals on the Bond films if Eon/Danjaq are to produce them.

But... The way I see it, MGM won't sell the Bond franchise anytime soon. At least not "their share".
    The whole of the who-owns-what is confusing, but this is how I understand it as well.

That MGM are dangling Bond as an enticement for prospective buyers also seems to indicate that a sale would not nullify that arrangement. Whoever ends up buying would inherit the exclusive right.

The McClory ordeal, the CR rights, using SPECTRE — an impressive list of legal victories for Barbara but I feel escaping MGM would possibly be the most monumental task yet.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Saw Ex Machina yesterday... I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but man, I wish Boyle would have asked Alex Garland to co-write the script.

If I'm not mistaken Garland was Boyle's writer for a long period of time. There will be reasons Garland is working on his own now and directing also. I love Ex Machina too, but more for its set design and ambience than for its story. And Garland's latest film Annihilation shows very strong ambitions towards things that would be far too clever and deep for their own good if used in a Bond context.

I know, that's why I brought it up. Both Hodge and Garland have been long time collaborators with Boyle. No shade to Hodge, but I wonder why Boyle picked him over Garland. I'm sure the latter could come up with something less complicated for Bond.

I have no doubt he could, I have doubt that he's interested at this point in his career to deliver something "shallow".
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    So MGM is the real author of all Bond's pain.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've been saying that since 2015.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't want a goddamned sidekick.

Bond’s first line, right there.

No more Americanisms please. I didn't care much for the 'you gotta be kiddin' me' in the last one.
    [/quote]

THANK YOU!

Americanisms in James Bond is like a thousand exploding plagues. Keep it out.
    Walecs wrote: »
    So MGM is the real author of all Bond's pain.

They have been around since the start.

I am beginning to wonder if the days of standalone, traditional Bond films are over. They seem to want more emotion, drama, and more connections for the films now. We will see with Boyle’s Bond 25, but I doubt it will be something as simple and straightforward as DN or FRWL, even though I’d like for them to return to that route. I think Bond 25 can still be great, but I certainly am afraid of the direction(s) the franchise may be going in.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    "You gotta be kiddin' me"
    "Gotta-go"

I never paid attention, but don't like it either now that it's been pointed out. Curious to know what he should have said in their place
  • RC7RC7
    Blame Harry Saltzman.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    "You gotta be kiddin' me"
    "Gotta-go"

I never paid attention, but don't like it either now that it's been pointed out. Curious to know what he should have said in their place
    Rather these than "crikey" if I'm being honest.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »
    Blame Harry Saltzman.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

If Harry hadn't been a prick and had sold his rights to Cubby we wouldn't be in this increasingly tedious corporate mess.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Still no distributor? How is that possible? The film premieres in 18 months.

They don't need a distributor in place to begin filming. They don't even need one in place during filming. Many films are financed and filmed and in the can without a distributor. Many are then shown at Sundance or SxSW, and only then do they sign a distribution deal and get wide release a few months later. If EON needs that distributor for trailers, then they have 12 months from now to get it done.
    Well that's comforting to hear
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 684
    TripAces wrote: »

They don't need a distributor in place to begin filming. They don't even need one in place during filming. Many films are financed and filmed and in the can without a distributor. Many are then shown at Sundance or SxSW, and only then do they sign a distribution deal and get wide release a few months later. If EON needs that distributor for trailers, then they have 12 months from now to get it done.
    This is true, and important to note, though for a film the scale of Bond it would be fairly (if not altogether) rare, I would think. And even so, the further into production the film moves without a distributor the more risk Eon/MGM would take on. I'm not sure either would want to start production without a distributor in place, even if it meant, say, another year-long delay.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/04/04/now-pay-attention-bond-25-rumours
    A bit more detailed article from birth.movies.death who also mentions the details leaked by the Reddit user
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I honestly don't think mgm stressing that bond 25 will be released in 2019 was all for nothing I think they have to get it out next year for them to make a profit besides they have come a long way since exiting bankruptcy in 2010 don't you think they can distribute the film themselves or do they really need a partner to distribute with?
    They need a distributor. They don't have the capabilities to handle a film of this magnitude competently.
    But... The way I see it, MGM won't sell the Bond franchise anytime soon. At least not "their share".
    You are correct. They likely won't. However, they will likely sell themselves, and so their share goes along with it to the buyer.
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    Danny Boyle deal is done on Bond 25 / MGM using Bond rights to sell company:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472

Big news this afternoon.

So it seems that after all this time, the distribution deal still isn't done. Annapurna aren't a "done deal". I know the tendency is to blame everything on Eon on these forums, but this looks like a power-play from MGM who are just sizing up the market before deciding whether to sell now or later. It's a business savvy move but infuriating for those of us waiting for news.

So if the Danny Boyle news is 100% confirmed, what's stopping Eon from announcing it? Surely Boyle will start casting soon.

Using the Bond franchise as a carrot for a potential MGM buyer could be the reason for Craig‘s early statement on returning as Bond. Wouldn‘t work as well without an actor for the iconic role.
    It likely had something to do with it in my view as well. So did Babs comments.
    I read something about Danjaq and its shares all around, but apparently, Cubby bought Harry's shares from UA/MGM back in the 80s in exchange for exclusive distribution deals on the Bond films if Eon/Danjaq are to produce them.

I see. But for the sake of speculating, can EON go around MGM's back and strike a deal with Sony, or whoever, so that they take ownership of Bond? Would EON have anything to entice them with?
    No, they can't legally do this. MGM own half of the rights. EON can only deal for their half. Not MGM's.
    That MGM are dangling Bond as an enticement for prospective buyers also seems to indicate that a sale would not nullify that arrangement. Whoever ends up buying would inherit the exclusive right.
    Correct.
    TripAces wrote: »

This is true, and important to note, though for a film the scale of Bond it would be fairly (if not altogether) rare, I would think. And even so, the further into production the film moves without a distributor the more risk Eon/MGM would take on. I'm not sure either would want to start production without a distributor in place, even if it meant, say, another year-long delay.
    Precisely. In these sort of instances (if what we're reading is true), they have to take it along to a level that it is attractive to a prospective buyer as a template concept, but not move to far forward that it restricts a potential buyer's decision making.

It's really a tricky situation all round, if this is what they've been up to behind the scenes, but quite frankly it doesn't surprise me. Something about this whole thing gave me a feeling that there were big business moves behind it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    No, they won't. However, they will likely sell themselves, and so their share goes along with it to the buyer.
    Indeed. Precisely what I think.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Been away a while, but I come back to find this Reddit fellow as the source of the latest gossip. Dear-oh-deary-me. OK, let's just pretend for one minute that what Mr. Reddit-man reports is true: That would mean that Bond's new role is a tutor for a rookie spy. Not just any rookie spy but a female rookie spy. This would also imply that not only is she not good enough to earn her own OO status on her own merits as well as having to be mentored by a man, but that she can't be trusted to take care of business by herself. Just how is this meant to fit in with Boyle's "modern world" view? That's hardly going to endear the #MeToo and Time’s Up crowd who want to see a fiercely independent woman doing her own thing, now is it?

And again, are we now meant to believe that the current head of the OO Section has gone completely soft and now requires that all potential new candidates need to be babysat first before they're allowed to complete any mission and earn a kill before gaining admittance into their special branch?

And how is this babysitting thing supposed to work? I thought the whole purpose of being a field agent was that you either had the right stuff (cajones) or you didn't. And if you didn't, you ended up like Miss Moneypenny (in one her less plausible past roles I might add) now working behind a desk. And again, why would the OO Section give a toss about an MI6 agent if they weren't good enough to be admitted to their own branch? This is one reason why I always disliked this mixing up of the MI6 staff with OO Section in the same building nonsense. I much preferred it when they were separate and had their own HQ — you know, just like a secretive division would, not sharing the same bloody roof.

OK. so maybe this isn't the main plot but an insignificant subplot with the "rookie" as the sacrificial lamb. I know some have mentioned Vijay as maybe a possible rookie field agent in the past. I can't recall. I haven't watched that dreadful Carry On Up The Octo-Khyber movie in decades. As Mr Reddit has hinted, there's a role for a female villain too, which suggests there's still a huge piece of the jigsaw missing from what this story is about. Of course, the whole thing could be a complete fabrication and none of this is true. Therefore, feel free to ignore everything that I have just written. On second thoughts, just ignore what I wrote. This Reddit guy is a phoney.
    After the stepbrother gate I am ready to believe anything Barbara would love this woman bit in a 007 movie.
  • TripAces wrote: »

Most films don't cost $250 million (or whatever the final price tag was for SPECTRE. MGM is financially healthier now than it was when it reached that two-picture deal with Sony. But even if Bond 24 has a lower budget, it's going to be much higher than most films MGM makes these days.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The budget absolutely needs to be lowered. You can't be putting $300 million plus into one movie hoping for positive box office returns every single time. It's likely to happen with Bond, don't get me wrong, but they'd be much better off cutting it down to $200 million (or much less, preferably).
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    Disney or Lionsgate better not get their paws on MGM or Bond. Thats all im going to say
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Alright, I have a cunning plan. We start a kickstarter and pool our money to buy MGM, and then we’ll collectively exercise creative control over the Bond franchise. Oh boy you think we get into arguments now. =))
    MI6 Community: Civil War
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

There would be the faction that wants Brosnan back for one more (led by you and I of course). There would be another faction lobbying for the return of Dalton. And then there would be a group that wants to turn Bond into some sort of art-house expression of emotional angst. Chaos!
    There would be the faction that wants Brosnan back for one more (led by you and I of course). There would be another faction lobbying for the return of Dalton. And then there would be a group that wants to turn Bond into some sort of art-house expression of emotional angst. Chaos!
    That’s precisely the case when it comes to this community. :))
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    The budget absolutely needs to be lowered. You can't be putting $300 million plus into one movie hoping for positive box office returns every single time. It's likely to happen with Bond, don't get me wrong, but they'd be much better off cutting it down to $200 million (or much less, preferably).

I agree.
    Alright, I have a cunning plan. We start a kickstarter and pool our money to buy MGM, and then we’ll collectively exercise creative control over the Bond franchise. Oh boy you think we get into arguments now. =))

Ok sounds good. Who are our millionaires? Please step forward :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondjames wrote: »

I see. But for the sake of speculating, can EON go around MGM's back and strike a deal with Sony, or whoever, so that they take ownership of Bond? Would EON have anything to entice them with?
    No, they can't legally do this. MGM own half of the rights. EON can only deal for their half. Not MGM's.
    Though hypothetically, someone could make MGM an offer they couldn't refuse for their half of the rights. The problem is MGM doesn't want to sell, but I figure even they would be willing to, for the right price. But obviously that wouldn't be profitable for any prospective buyers. That's why I was asking if there was anything EON could offer a prospective buyer of MGM's half to induce them to buy, like an increased production schedule with more frequent releases, that kind of thing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oof. Saw someone promote the idea of this "female villain with a personal connection" to Bond being Vesper's twin sister.