No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    vzok wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Danny Boyle deal is done on Bond 25 / MGM using Bond rights to sell company:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472

Big news this afternoon.
    As I thought. Lots going on behind the scenes on the business front.

They are correct on this: No CEO and the way Barber was sacked suggests all the makings of a possible sale. The media environment is too ripe for a deal to let it lag.
    So if the Danny Boyle news is 100% confirmed, what's stopping Eon from announcing it? Surely Boyle will start casting soon.
    You need a distributor to fund the film. They have a say in matters.

Wasn’t Barber sacked because he was trying to position MGM for sale rather than as an ongoing concern?
    That's what we were told, yes. However, something doesn't smell right. If you're trying to position for a sale you don't create intricate links with other companies (Annapurna) and buy a streaming company (Epix - which is going to have a very difficult time competing with Netflix and Disney's new offering - if they can't get that off the ground they will have to write off their investment soon). Rather, you trim it down. We don't know everything here.

EDIT: The recently hired COO who led the conference call came over from a high powered law firm that specializes in M&A. I wouldn't be surprised if he is there to facilitate a sale and then he goes back to his previous employer.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    jake24 wrote: »

So if the Danny Boyle news is 100% confirmed, what's stopping Eon from announcing it? Surely Boyle will start casting soon.

This isn't "100% confirmed". It would be a front-page headline if the writer thought it was so. And what exactly could the deal be? That he gets to do it regardless of Hodge's script? I doubt that.

Everything really comes down to the acceptance of Hodge's finished script. So if there was a deal it might be what unofficially was the case: no Hodge, no Boyle. I.e. Hodge, Boyle.
    Precisely.

Also, wasn't it reported that Barber was sacked because he wanted to sell?

I think that was mentioned, yes.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472

Big news this afternoon.

So it seems that after all this time, the distribution deal still isn't done. Annapurna aren't a "done deal". I know the tendency is to blame everything on Eon on these forums, but this looks like a power-play from MGM who are just sizing up the market before deciding whether to sell now or later. It's a business savvy move but infuriating for those of us waiting for news.

What's the likely chance this will affect the release date? Hopefully not at all
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I really hope this delay in securing a distributor doesn’t delay the release date...
    MGM is such a millstone around Bond's neck.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I really hope this delay in securing a distributor doesn’t delay the release date...

So do I. Both because I'm impatient to see it and because I would be rather annoyed if we had to wait 5 years for a new movie.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,115

Big news this afternoon.

So it seems that after all this time, the distribution deal still isn't done. Annapurna aren't a "done deal". I know the tendency is to blame everything on Eon on these forums, but this looks like a power-play from MGM who are just sizing up the market before deciding whether to sell now or later. It's a business savvy move but infuriating for those of us waiting for news.

If I may channel Nikki Finke, TOLDJA about the distribution deal. :-) More seriously, when somebody (Deadline in this case back in November) reports something is "thisclose" to happening and it doesn't happen -- maybe it's time to follow up. After that Deadline story came out, I've seen film writers act like it was a done deal.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2018 Posts: 45,489
    In 2016 they said it would be a done deal by February 2017, and here we are 14 months later.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    In 2016 they said it would be a done deal by February 2017, and here we are 14 months later.
    Wasn't that February 2016? Michael G. Wilson said that in November 2015 that the deal will be settled by February 2016.
    Wasn't that February 2016?

I think you may be right. Even worse.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Seriously though, guys. Could this dilemma delay the film? Or do we think EoN has made it quite clear to MGM they have a release date that must be met?
    Eh?
  • Here's the Michael G. Wilson video and his comments about a distributor. He made the comments in November 2015.

Eh?
    Eh?

26 months overdue is worse than 14.
  • DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Seriously though, guys. Could this dilemma delay the film? Or do we think EoN has made it quite clear to MGM they have a release date that must be met?

Last week on the MGM conference calls, two separate executives referenced "the return of James Bond in 2019." So MGM went out on a limb and it's still there. As the THR story says, MGM has got to make a move of some kind soon to meet that date. Also, in almost a throwaway line, THR said Boyle's deal is completed.
  • Last paragraph of THR story:

//One thing is for certain, with the Bond 25 release date looming and director Danny Boyle’s deal done, according to a source, MGM will have to make some kind of move soon. The studio declined comment on Boyle's deal as well as the status of its distribution pacts.//
    They had better make a move soon if they're planning on shooting at the end of the year. Wasn't the start of pre-production pegged as April at one point?
    Eh?
    Eh?
    Definitely. I was agreeing with you Canadian style. :))
    I honestly don't think mgm stressing that bond 25 will be released in 2019 was all for nothing I think they have to get it out next year for them to make a profit besides they have come a long way since exiting bankruptcy in 2010 don't you think they can distribute the film themselves or do they really need a partner to distribute with?
    Eh?
    Eh?
    Definitely. I was agreeing with you Canadian style. :))

Eh?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Strog wrote: »
    Is there any way for EON to "escape" from MGM, bankruptcy aside?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I read something about Danjaq and its shares all around, but apparently, Cubby bought Harry's shares from UA/MGM back in the 80s in exchange for exclusive distribution deals on the Bond films if Eon/Danjaq are to produce them.

But... The way I see it, MGM won't sell the Bond franchise anytime soon. At least not "their share".
    I'm starting to believe EON is a millstone around Bond's neck, too.
    After bond 25 I like to see eon part ways with MGM and join forces with Warner Brothers then reboot the franchise with Christopher Nolan as director and James Norton as the 7th James Bond shoot me for that statement but that's what I like to see
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe

Big news this afternoon.

Using the Bond franchise as a carrot for a potential MGM buyer could be the reason for Craig‘s early statement on returning as Bond. Wouldn‘t work as well without an actor for the iconic role.
    After bond 25 I like to see eon part ways with MGM and join forces with Warner Brothers then reboot the franchise with Christopher Nolan as director and James Norton as the 7th James Bond shoot me for that statement but that's what I like to see

Wouldn't shoot you for that, mate. But that's very unlikely :(
    I'm starting to believe EON is a millstone around Bond's neck, too.
    I'm inclined to believe that is also the case, I'm afraid.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I read something about Danjaq and its shares all around, but apparently, Cubby bought Harry's shares from UA/MGM back in the 80s in exchange for exclusive distribution deals on the Bond films if Eon/Danjaq are to produce them.

But... The way I see it, MGM won't sell the Bond franchise anytime soon. At least not "their share".
    I see. But for the sake of speculating, can EON go around MGM's back and strike a deal with Sony, or whoever, so that they take ownership of Bond? Would EON have anything to entice them with?

I see. But for the sake of speculating, can EON go around MGM's back and strike a deal with Sony, or whoever, so that they take ownership of Bond? Would EON have anything to entice them with?
    MGM will sue them from what I understand and it would cost them dearly. EON might sell, MGM wouldn't. MGM can't survive without Bond, and they know it. They'd rather be bought by another company than sell Bond to another firm.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Still no distributor? How is that possible? The film premieres in 18 months.