No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jamala Butt 007.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Babs will be able to tick her coveted diversity box with that one.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Bond mentors a young female agent, who turns out to be Dench-M’s long lost daughter! Pure movie gold crap.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    He is training a new female muslim agent to be the new 007.
    Great shout. What other way to make her 'automatically more interesting' than have her be a Muslim?

If she can be a wheelchair-bound lesbian too she'll be the most fascinating character in Bond history.

@PanchitoPistoles is already trying to book his IMAX ticket as we speak.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited April 2018 Posts: 732
    It may be far-fetched comparing it to Bond - but in my book the reason „Expendables 3“ kinda bombed was due to that „young pet“ idea. But let‘s see - at this point of time I don‘t believe any leaked story details
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    It may be far-fetched comparing it to Bond - but in my book the reason „Expendables 3“ kinda bombed was due to that „young pet“ idea. But let‘s see - at this point of time I don‘t believe any leaked story details

Or the fact that it was PG-13, which effectively hurt the box office, or the fact that it leaked online a month in advance, which hurt the box office even more.
    SeanCraig wrote: »

There's an Expendables 3?!
    I can see Bunt being the female villain and taking over spectere after Blofeld got arrested
    bondjames wrote: »
    Conceptually these rumours aren't as horrendous as brothergate, so it's possible to make something out of it. The question is will they? That's up to Boyle.
    But surely his 'big idea' has to amount to more than this doesn't it?
    Certainly. I imagine (or at least I hope) it does. The touted 'idea' may be in the meat of the actual plot, and these female rumours may just be condiments. Sideshows, and hopefully pleasantly distracting ones.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The user also claimed that Hodge has finished the first draft, suggesting that the greenlight, followed by confirmation from EON, might come sooner rather than later (if his word is anything to go by).
    You just know that when someone says "I've got a really good idea" that it's just like hearing "I've got a cunning plan".
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2018 Posts: 16,330
    Bond mentoring a female agent hmmm where have I heard this before? OH THAT'S RIGHT! Mission: Impossible III did it first. I don't need to see a retread of another franchise's story ideas.
    Conceptually these rumours aren't as horrendous as brothergate, so it's possible to make something out of it. The question is will they? That's up to Boyle.
    Certainly. I imagine (or at least I hope) it does. The touted 'idea' may be in the meat of the actual plot, and these female rumours may just be condiments. Sideshows, and hopefully pleasantly distracting ones.

What did I say about Boyle? 61 is no fresh blood.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    My two cents on two aspects:

- Writing's on the Wall is a fine Bond theme. In the Craig era only You Know My Name is superior. Another Way to Die is a bit unfocused and the vocals let it down greatly, whereas Skyfall is okay, but less than the sum of its parts, much like the film. WOTW's weakness is Sam Smith's voice, and especially his falsetto, but it's still less annoying than Keys/White, and he did compose the theme so he achieves atonement.

- I'm fine with Bond mentoring a younger agent. In fact, I'm fine with Bond bedding said agent. It's a provocative idea, though it won't be happening any time soon.
    I do still hope we get a main female villain. The Craig era is really lacking in female baddies. I think leaving SPECTRE out is probably a good idea.

Perhaps this personal connection is that the female villain is a spy Bond used to work with, but turned for some reason and has a villainous plot to unleash. Then the purpose of a new female agent would be for Bond to have a second chance and avoid the same fate? I’m just guessing.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,600
    The last day or so of posts on this thread is just so perfectly representative of how the producers just cant win. From the fans who have a very, very rigid view of what Bond is to those who want to experience new ideas and concepts. Its all just opinion: there are no rights and wrongs. But Boyle was clearly brought in for a fresh approach and, on that basis, those with a rigid perspective are doomed when it comes to appreciating the next instalment.

IMHO, the mentor idea has potential. It deals with the issue of age in a different way to SF and allows for a relatively young agent that Bond does not have to kill or bonk. As with SF, the play off between Bond's traditional World and the World of the new agent could provide both tension but also dry humour. And also enable both young and old viewers view the movie through different eyes. Obviously, we dont know if this is "the idea" ....we shall see.

PS I was trying to think of movies where they have tried this. "The Enforcer" had great potential and was let down in other areas. But Harry's distain for the political correctness of gender equality and promoting people beyond their experience was, with hindsight, ahead of it's time and fits very well with the Me Too movement. I can see this working with DC's grumpy SF version of Bond. As a government dept, I can see MI6 desperately trying/being ordered to catch up with gender equality at all levels and Bond "pushing back" against this could provide a rich context.

I just thought of an idea that kind of scares me...

...what if this agent Bond is mentoring is set up as the next "James Bond," and they continue the films from there... I hope I'm worrying over nothing with that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »

...what if this agent Bond is mentoring is set up as the next "James Bond," and they continue the films from there... I hope I'm worrying over nothing with that one.

I've had the exact same thought. I wouldn't put it past them.
    I’m scared now. This would surely be awful.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117

The codename theory finally comes to fruition after all these years!!!

No need to worry, it will never happen. What could happen if Bond 25 delivers, is that they make a spin-off with this new character while Chris Nolan is making his completely unrelated Bond movie.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

...what if this agent Bond is mentoring is set up as the next "James Jane Bond," and they continue the films from there... I hope I'm worrying over nothing with that one.
    Fixed it for you. Sort of makes The Rhythm Section redundant though, unless EON want to garner a reputation as makers of crack female spy fare.
    Hope it doesn’t happen that way.

They can do an Indiana Jones 4-esque ending where the agent reaches for Bond’s signature gun, but he takes it back before she can XD
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

That's not gonna happen.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Funny I thought exactly the same thing: what if she becomes the new 007?
    They can do an Indiana Jones 4-esque ending where the agent reaches for Bond’s signature gun, but he takes it back before she can XD
    Jesus it gets worse and worse.

Maybe have Blofeld launch a nuke and Bond escapes thanks to his handy Q branch fridge?
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote: »

If they're going full Nolan Batman with the Craig films (closed off, seperate) then I could see it happening as the end of the film and I wouldn't really mind to be honest. I hope they actually do give Craig a proper ending of some sort that means the next one is a reboot. I've enjoyed it, but lot of what they've done has been so different (Brofeld, surrogate mum M, field agent Moneypenny) that I'd prefer it to be a seperate, sort of parallel universe take.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »

If they're going full Nolan Batman with the Craig films (closed off, seperate) then I could see it happening as the end of the film and I wouldn't really mind to be honest. I hope they actually do give Craig a proper ending of some sort that means the next one is a reboot. I've enjoyed it, but lot of what they've done has been so different (Brofeld, surrogate mum M, field agent Moneypenny) that I'd prefer it to be a seperate, sort of parallel universe take.
    Very true, and I see it the same way. It has a non-canon flavour similar to NSNA. An artsy experiment. Why not go all the way and close it out in an unusual fashion too? John 'Robin' Blake anybody?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    jake24 wrote: »
    The user also claimed that Hodge has finished the first draft, suggesting that the greenlight, followed by confirmation from EON, might come sooner rather than later (if his word is anything to go by).

That would be great if confirmation dropped sooner than later and i do believe the Reddit user is on top of his game
    jake24 wrote: »

That would be great if confirmation dropped sooner than later and i do believe the Reddit user is on top of his game
    I still think there will be a more comprehensive announcement than just Boyle as director and if I were to guess it will come most likely in May, or perhaps June.