No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I also don’t want a sidekick, and do want a smaller Bond film. CR was Craig’s best performance, and played to his strengths the best. Hopefully Boyle is smart enough to recognize that and take notes off of CR.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Leave the mentor stuff to Ethan Hunt. Bond works alone.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I can see the story already, the female agent or mi6 has to track down & convince the world weary old legendary 007 to save England
    So in a nutshell The Last Jedi? I mean that was a triumph after all so why wouldn't you?

Tuck91 wrote: »
    The next one needs to be all about bond. I am not interested in seeing a sidekick or a movie message or theme pushed about female empowerment eat up screen time, if this is their big idea I'd rather have the P&W script. I hope babs & eon get this right.
    I think I'm with you in taking whatever P&W have come up with over this.

But I'm hopeful that this is all unfounded rumour and Boyle has something better up his sleeve.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Bond as a mentor is different to him having a sidekick though right? We got sidekicks/equals already with Anya, Wai Lin, Jinx. Jinx even made it onto the poster fighting side by side with him, that's hardly working alone.

I think him teaching a much less experienced agent is a more interesting idea than that, and it fits the Craig era well because they've done a lot of character stuff, so by teaching her it gives him a chance to reflect on how far he's come himself over the last few movies. Plus whenever they do the female agent thing she's still a Bond girl so it always feels like a bit of a copout when, after all that build up of look how badass she is, she's inevitably captured/hurt/whatever and relies on Bond to save her. But with a less experienced agent that gives them an excuse.

I know SP killed some peoples faith and the gap hasn't helped, but writing the whole film off based on a rumour over the Bond girl is a bit drastic. Lets wait and see. I think Danny Boyle is talented enough that we should be optimistic.
    Mentor might not be the same as partner luckily.
    When I read "mentor" I didn't think it implied having an agent join Bond on his mission throughout the entire film. Instead I thought of a subplot not unlike the Moneypenny one from Skyfall.
    I have a friend at CAA and the part is billed as someone with a "personal connection" to Bond.
    I have here, secret directive from Barbara Broccoli. Smiert Personum. "Personal stories." Da, it's a script development programme involving villains with "personal connections" to Bond. If it continues, the MI6 Community will retaliate. Fanboy and corporate intelligence could destroy each other. God forbid this might lead to nuclear war! Unless Broccoli can be... How do you say? Put away.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I have a friend at CAA and the part is billed as someone with a "personal connection" to Bond.
    I have here, secret directive from Barbara Broccoli. Smiert Personum. "Personal stories." Da, it's a script development programme involving villains with "personal connections" to Bond. If it continues, the MI6 Community will retaliate. Fanboy and corporate intelligence could destroy each other. God forbid this might lead to nuclear war! Unless Broccoli can be... How do you say? Put away.
    'Y*B**NNA MAT!' The gross obscenity was a favourite with The Wizard. His hand slapped down on the desk. 'Comrade, there certainly is a woman called Broccoli'.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    When I read "mentor" I didn't think it implied having an agent join Bond on his mission throughout the entire film. Instead I thought of a subplot not unlike the Moneypenny one from Skyfall.

Could be. Since she was the only Bond girl mentioned though I think it'll probably be a bit beefier than the Moneypenny subplot. The way I imagined it was she's the main Bond girl and is sent with him on his mission to learn on the job.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't want a goddamned sidekick.

Bond’s first line, right there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Given their predilection for emotion/drama, a new 007 having to track down the previous 007 (Bond), isn't the worst idea they could come up with (/have come up with).

Let me guess, the new 007 will be killed, and Bond will come out of retirement for revenge.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    This sounds seriously crap.

I really,honestly,don't think I can face another emotional,personal Bond story.

I'm getting fed up with this.
    If they think i'm waiting 4 years for that crap then they can stuff it.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 372
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Saw Ex Machina yesterday... I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but man, I wish Boyle would have asked Alex Garland to co-write the script.

If I'm not mistaken Garland was Boyle's writer for a long period of time. There will be reasons Garland is working on his own now and directing also. I love Ex Machina too, but more for its set design and ambience than for its story. And Garland's latest film Annihilation shows very strong ambitions towards things that would be far too clever and deep for their own good if used in a Bond context.

I know, that's why I brought it up. Both Hodge and Garland have been long time collaborators with Boyle. No shade to Hodge, but I wonder why Boyle picked him over Garland. I'm sure the latter could come up with something less complicated for Bond.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't want a goddamned sidekick.

Bond’s first line, right there. [/quote]

No more Americanisms please. I didn't care much for the 'you gotta be kiddin' me' in the last one.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,599
    I think, after the dreadful SP plot/script, many of us are on "high alert" for more dodgy ideas and perhaps over reacting. Unlike SP, a mentor still offers the pontential for a completely standalone story. And the mentor story line can also be a subplot rather than the main theme. A mentor is a very different situation from sidekick or partner concept. Lets not read to much into it regarding another big emotonal story.

mentor
    ˈmɛntɔː/
    noun
    noun: mentor; plural noun: mentors

an experienced and trusted adviser.

And as for the new character becoming Bond, thats pure bonkers and will never happen but it does show how much trust many of us have lost in the development team. Boyle is a clever guy, I think we are OK.....but then again, I thought that about Mendes!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    No more Americanisms please. I didn't care much for the 'you gotta be kiddin' me' in the last one.

Not to mention 'I gotta go' in the airport sequence in CR. Although it will take something special for 'Time for a station break' to be topped as the most offensive of all time.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Not to mention 'I gotta go' in the airport sequence in CR. Although it will take something special for 'Time for a station break' to be topped as the most offensive of all time.

I keep cringing at the "me too" in TND's Dr. Kaufmann scene.
    Isn't everyone getting ahead of themselves here?

At the moment, nothing about the story has actually been confirmed! Even if the rumours are true, we've no idea how it's all going to play out....

Personally I hate the 'poppers and zippers'' comment in TWINE...pisses me off everytime.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Matt wrote: »
    Isn't everyone getting ahead of themselves here?

At the moment, nothing about the story has actually been confirmed! Even if the rumours are true, we've no idea how it's all going to play out....
    Exactly.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    barryt007 wrote: »

Personally I hate the 'poppers and zippers'' comment in TWINE...pisses me off everytime.
    And don't forget 'beverage cup holders'.

I really don't know how this stuff happens given the amount of Brits in the cast and crew. Has no one got the bottle to put their head above the parapet and say 'No one from the UK would ever say this'?

Or does the studio overrule everyone with 'Yeah but we have to do it like this as Americans are too thick to understand actual English.'
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm taking every rumor as a grain of salt at this point since the "Beyond the Ice" days.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Danny Boyle deal is done on Bond 25 / MGM using Bond rights to sell company:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472

Big news this afternoon.

So it seems that after all this time, the distribution deal still isn't done. Annapurna aren't a "done deal". I know the tendency is to blame everything on Eon on these forums, but this looks like a power-play from MGM who are just sizing up the market before deciding whether to sell now or later. It's a business savvy move but infuriating for those of us waiting for news.

So if the Danny Boyle news is 100% confirmed, what's stopping Eon from announcing it? Surely Boyle will start casting soon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mgm-using-james-bond-rights-as-leverage-a-sale-1099472

Big news this afternoon.
    As I thought. Lots going on behind the scenes on the business front.

They are correct on this: No CEO and the way Barber was sacked suggests all the makings of a possible sale. The media environment is too ripe for a deal to let it lag.
    So if the Danny Boyle news is 100% confirmed, what's stopping Eon from announcing it? Surely Boyle will start casting soon.
    You need a distributor to fund the film. They have a say in matters.
    All sounds great so far. Danny Boyle will do a great do. Plus he's a Northerner. I hope we get Blofeld back even if just in the background.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

This isn't "100% confirmed". It would be a front-page headline if the writer thought it was so. And what exactly could the deal be? That he gets to do it regardless of Hodge's script? I doubt that.

Everything really comes down to the acceptance of Hodge's finished script. So if there was a deal it might be what unofficially was the case: no Hodge, no Boyle. I.e. Hodge, Boyle.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    If there is a possible sale in the works, I can't see it going to Sony. The US Administration will likely block it as they have a few bids recently. Look for a US based suitor. That has implications for the film, and may have precipitated a lot of these 'sudden' changes over the past 3-4 months.
    bondjames wrote: »

Big news this afternoon.
    As I thought. Lots going on behind the scenes on the business front.

They are correct on this: No CEO and the way Barber was sacked suggests all the makings of a possible sale. The media environment is too ripe for a deal to let it lag.
    You need a distributor to fund the film. They have a say in matters.

Wasn’t Barber sacked because he was trying to position MGM for sale rather than as an ongoing concern?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 10,586

This isn't "100% confirmed". It would be a front-page headline if the writer thought it was so. And what exactly could the deal be? That he gets to do it regardless of Hodge's script? I doubt that.

Everything really comes down to the acceptance of Hodge's finished script. So if there was a deal it might be what unofficially was the case: no Hodge, no Boyle. I.e. Hodge, Boyle.
    Precisely.

Also, wasn't it reported that Barber was sacked because he wanted to sell?