No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 1,031
    Dennison wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'm finding the Ian Fleming bio-pic discussion of this thread far more informative than the non-information we're getting on B25.

Just to chime in:

Akin to how later DVD editions of the Spielberg classic: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
    re-title the film, INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, the 1989 Charles Dance Fleming film upon original airings WAS simply called GOLDENEYE.

The subtitle: THE SECRET LIFE OF IAN FLEMING was added much later.

In fact, the Jason Connery Fleming bio pic, upon original airings WAS called: THE SECRET LIFE OF IAN FLEMING on the TNT station here in the States. The SPYMAKER title was added for the VHS release.
    Anyway it's cool to know Christoph Waltz was in GOLDENEYE. That's one I need to replace my copy of. The U.S. television airing of that film was hosted by George Lazenby. Pity none of that footage is on Youtube.

As for B25, this may be a completely tasteless metaphor, but it feels like a situation when one has a well beloved pet that is terminally ill. You delay taking them to the vet because you know they'll be put down then and it hurts too much to face the inevitable.
    I feel that is what is going on with B25 and the Craig era.
    Please stick to Bond 25 on this thread.
    He's supporting your claim. Why are you kicking him?

I'm not 'kicking anyone'. What makes you think I'm kicking him? I'm glad to discuss the Fleming dramas, and that he supports my claim. But this isn't the thread for that. No 'kicking' intended - only warm love.

I'm a bit confused ... maybe I need to be more sensitive to other people who are sensitive and get the wrong impression ...
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    This thread should realistically be closed or suspended until April/May when we will (hopefully) get some real news. Until then, I'm just wasting time browsing this forum hoping I'll find something concrete.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

'Fulfil their mandate to make good fims’, you say it like that isn’t their aim. Forgive me, but this comes across more as a petulant rant, because you’re not getting what you want, rather than a indictment of the producers.

Petulant rant? Nah. I think whatever my displeasure with EoN and criticisms of the current state of things RE: Bond is valid. Most businesses dont aim to do their jobs or whatever they're tasked to do in an inferior way; but it happens. EoN are OGs in the industry and given their years of experience I'm not happy nor impressed with what they've been doing. I feel they're falling short and at the very basic level too. They need to do better.

The talk of ‘putting Bond back on the map’, is also ill considered. Bond was firmly back on the map just two films ago, in a huge way.

2 films ago was more than half a decade ago. My daughter was born that year and now she's doing gymnastics and horseback riding. A lot has changed since then and when tge media isnt making their obtuse pronouncements about casting a new Bond, Bond just feels like an after thought only carried by the weight of his past, hence the terrible and failed attempts at call backs to a by gone era. This is less absence makes the heart grow fonder and more out of sight out of mind.
    The decision was to try and capture that magic again by assembling an equally strong team, many of whom delivered the first time around. It didn’t work out, but I can’t criticise them for hiring a team that, on paper, should have delivered. They move on. It’s a lot harder to produce on the ground, than it is from behind a computer screen in your pyjamas.

The 2 biggest problems for me is the writing and the mismanagement of duties from the producers. They've been slacking and that's what I'm aware of; and they need to stop that mess and start coming correct with a firmer grip on their situation.
    After the reception of SP I expect them to adjust accordingly.

That would be fantastic and IF they do, hopefully they can maintain a level of consistency instead of their tired routine of moving forward and then backsliding, rinse and repeat. We all hope for the best but we'll see.

From a position of experience I’m just putting forward a case to be positive. They haven’t made two brilliant films in a row since the 60s, so the oscillation in quality is nothing new. The issue appears to be larger gaps, causing heightened exasperation - any mistakes they make take longer to rectify, which appears to magnify them in the minds of some fans. Is that true of the general audience? I don’t believe so.

The constant fearmongering that it could all come tumbling down is, while never an impossibility, a fanciful argument confected by those who desperately want change. It’s ok to want change and I can absolutely see the arguments for it in this case, what I don’t understand is having to slander EON’s capabilities as producers to make the point - believe me, whatever Barbara says to press, they’ve considered what’s next and they’ll be fully aware of where they and others feel they’ve dropped the ball.

EON are, after all, an independent production comany and while I’m sure they’ll be flattered by the comparisons to Marvel and Lucasfilm, would find a lot of the comparisons at best naive and at worst stupid.

As has been noted on this thread already, it’s perhaps best to look at the financial situation, rather than B&M’s ability to do their jobs.

What happens next is to be confirmed, but they are still capable of delivering, whatever the scenario.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't see why an entertaining, speculative and informative thread should be closed. We'll get news when we get it. Take a break if necessary and check the first page where info is always regularly updated.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't see why an entertaining, speculative and informative thread should be closed. We'll get news when we get it. Take a break if necessary and check the first page where info is always regularly updated.
    Precisely.
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    edited March 2018 Posts: 70
    bondjames wrote: »
    I continue to believe that business decisions are driving this. Disney's move for Fox leaves only a few independent players out there like Lionsgate and MGM. We know that MGM already attempted a sale, which was blocked by the incoming Trump Administration in early 2017.

Keep an eye on Comcast (owner of Universal). They are hungry for an acquisition and either they or Sony could make a play for MGM, although it may be a year or so out.

It's the business uncertainty that has probably resulted in this unnecessary time wasting and reliance on status quo.

Hodge suggests something is afoot and I'm hopeful.

In terms of B25:

Sony needs a hit so badly(especially after "cough, cough" that movie that must not be named about emojis?), so they are definitely going to try to get the full ownership of MGM and its library. Expect Columbia to be onboard for all future Bond films including potential spinoffs if that happens
    I for one want to see MGM and Sony working together again but I see Lionsgate as a logical choice the more I think about it. Lets hope its home entertainment unit learned from its mistakes in the past. Fox does a terrific job with handling MGMs library although I kind of like how Sony promotes their stuff. I think Fox/Disney (if the deal goes through) are going to consolidate all of their Home entertainment units under one roof ala SPHE. I think MGM wants some distance away from Disney considering how Disney operates with their content. I tried to get DVDs of The Incredibles and Wall-E... Too overpriced for my standards and these were movies from 10-15 years ago.

Lets hope the Bond 25 DVD/Blu Rays aren't overpriced.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »

'Fulfil their mandate to make good fims’, you say it like that isn’t their aim. Forgive me, but this comes across more as a petulant rant, because you’re not getting what you want, rather than a indictment of the producers.

Petulant rant? Nah. I think whatever my displeasure with EoN and criticisms of the current state of things RE: Bond is valid. Most businesses dont aim to do their jobs or whatever they're tasked to do in an inferior way; but it happens. EoN are OGs in the industry and given their years of experience I'm not happy nor impressed with what they've been doing. I feel they're falling short and at the very basic level too. They need to do better.

The talk of ‘putting Bond back on the map’, is also ill considered. Bond was firmly back on the map just two films ago, in a huge way.

2 films ago was more than half a decade ago. My daughter was born that year and now she's doing gymnastics and horseback riding. A lot has changed since then and when tge media isnt making their obtuse pronouncements about casting a new Bond, Bond just feels like an after thought only carried by the weight of his past, hence the terrible and failed attempts at call backs to a by gone era. This is less absence makes the heart grow fonder and more out of sight out of mind.
    The decision was to try and capture that magic again by assembling an equally strong team, many of whom delivered the first time around. It didn’t work out, but I can’t criticise them for hiring a team that, on paper, should have delivered. They move on. It’s a lot harder to produce on the ground, than it is from behind a computer screen in your pyjamas.

The 2 biggest problems for me is the writing and the mismanagement of duties from the producers. They've been slacking and that's what I'm aware of; and they need to stop that mess and start coming correct with a firmer grip on their situation.
    After the reception of SP I expect them to adjust accordingly.

That would be fantastic and IF they do, hopefully they can maintain a level of consistency instead of their tired routine of moving forward and then backsliding, rinse and repeat. We all hope for the best but we'll see.

From a position of experience I’m just putting forward a case to be positive. They haven’t made two brilliant films in a row since the 60s, so the oscillation in quality is nothing new. The issue appears to be larger gaps, causing heightened exasperation - any mistakes they make take longer to rectify, which appears to magnify them in the minds of some fans. Is that true of the general audience? I don’t believe so.

The constant fearmongering that it could all come tumbling down is, while never an impossibility, a fanciful argument confected by those who desperately want change. It’s ok to want change and I can absolutely see the arguments for it in this case, what I don’t understand is having to slander EON’s capabilities as producers to make the point - believe me, whatever Barbara says to press, they’ve considered what’s next and they’ll be fully aware of where they and others feel they’ve dropped the ball.

EON are, after all, an independent production comany and while I’m sure they’ll be flattered by the comparisons to Marvel and Lucasfilm, would find a lot of the comparisons at best naive and at worst stupid.

As has been noted on this thread already, it’s perhaps best to look at the financial situation, rather than B&M’s ability to do their jobs.

What happens next is to be confirmed, but they are still capable of delivering, whatever the scenario.

I believe they are indeed capable, hence my annoyance and disappointment with the way things have been run as of late and my position of believing they should be doing better. That being said, I think I'm patient enough in waiting for whatever comes next. I just hope these long waits don't result in another disappointment but I'm definitely cheering EoN on to give us something truly special and mostly satisfying. Time will tell.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I thought THE PRESTIGE, INCEPTION and all three of Nolan's Batman films were well-acted and visually captivating but utterly failed at the script level (particularly THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, which was often nonsensical). Although I think Nolan is a good filmmaker i.e. director, I don't think he or his brother are capable of putting together a coherent, satisfying script and, unfortunately, Nolan usually insists on having a hand in the writing.

My hope is EON can get either Denis Villeneuve or Martin Campbell (again) and pair them with a strong writer with a unique vision, like Alex Garland.

Have to admit this would be one of my concerns re Nolan although there has been some decent writing in there as well. Memento (I’m assuming he wrote it), Inception and Interstellar were decent writing jobs in my opinion. Agree though that aside from looking great the Batman films left me cold. Massively overrated IMO - prefer Burton and Keaton’s take.

Nolan has made 10 films over a 20 year period. I thought he’d made more for some reason but that’s actually a pretty good work rate.

Insomnia is still one of my favourite Nolan films - the only one he didn’t write...

Even so I would definitely like to see him direct a Bond film or three. I’d prefer it if they did it as soft continuity though. A triptych rather than a trilogy. Different facetes of the same character. Love, Hate, Transendence.

Dennison wrote: »
    I'm finding the Ian Fleming bio-pic discussion of this thread far more informative than the non-information we're getting on B25.

Just to chime in:

Akin to how later DVD editions of the Spielberg classic: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
    re-title the film, INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, the 1989 Charles Dance Fleming film upon original airings WAS simply called GOLDENEYE.

In fact, the Jason Connery Fleming bio pic, upon original airings WAS called: THE SECRET LIFE OF IAN FLEMING on the TNT station here in the States. The SPYMAKER title was added for the VHS release.
    Anyway it's cool to know Christoph Waltz was in GOLDENEYE. That's one I need to replace my copy of. The U.S. television airing of that film was hosted by George Lazenby. Pity none of that footage is on Youtube.

As for B25, this may be a completely tasteless metaphor, but it feels like a situation when one has a well beloved pet that is terminally ill. You delay taking them to the vet because you know they'll be put down then and it hurts too much to face the inevitable.
    I feel that is what is going on with B25 and the Craig era.

Please stick to Bond 25 on this thread.

I'll bold the section of that post that refers to B25:

Just to chime in:

I feel that is what is going on with B25 and the Craig era

Point being, the lack of news, lukewarm reception to SP and particularly this new tradition of having 4 year gaps between films can make one feel that B25 may be trying to stretch out and delay what feels to be a dying era. It seems many on here would prefer Eon to skip one last outing with Craig and start fresh with a new actor.

Considering the articles and "news" seems to be in the negative: no Nolan, no Yann, a possibly delayed Boyle, a passive aggressiveness to decide between Boyle's writer and P & W, etc , I really wouldn't be against closing out the Craig films with SP.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,087
    Yes, SP is a decent sendoff, if that's what it ends up being. Certainly more gracefully than a couple other 007's got. Craig is not needed for Bond 25 to be a success, in fact he may be what stands in the way of it being so.
    Is this the beginning of the end of James Bond?
    How can you even ask that, with a Chris Nolan Bond movie (aka Bond 26) just around the corner?
    Well with Demange and Boyle being linked with other projects? Even I am raising a Roger Moore eye brow with concern as the clock continues to tick.
    How can you even ask that, with a Chris Nolan Bond movie (aka Bond 26) just around the corner?

Just around the corner? Let’s just worry about Bond 25 getting a director right now!
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,619
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    This thread should realistically be closed or suspended until April/May when we will (hopefully) get some real news. Until then, I'm just wasting time browsing this forum hoping I'll find something concrete.
    You can always suspend yourself until April/May.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @boldfinger That's simply not true. John Hodge writing the screenplay of Bond 25 as we speek is not pure speculation. Nothing that deadline.com reports is pure speculation.
    That allgation is a contradiction by itself.
    It's not an allegation that deadline.com doesn't do speculation, it's a fact. Saying that the reports of Hodge working on the screenplay are "pure speculation" is simply ignorant.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Maybe eon already have their director and they plan on announcing it soon god let's hope that's the case!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maybe eon already have their director and they plan on announcing it soon god let's hope that's the case!

God is the next director? Now I am curious.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 464
    Yes I can officially confirm that God is bond 25's director, In all seriousness my money is now on David Mackenzie since he's the only frontrunner left without a conflicting project.
    Yes I can officially confirm that God is bond 25's director, In all seriousness my money is now on David Mackenzie since he's the only frontrunner left without a conflicting project.

Never seen any of his films. How does he compare to the other names that are being talked about for Bond 25?

God is the next director? Now I am curious.

Lol, there was a line like that in a song called Little Suzie by Kelis

This is God's movie and just tryna play my part

Never seen any of his films. How does he compare to the other names that are being talked about for Bond 25?

Never seen any of his films either just know that he is the only director left named a frontrunner without a conflicting project he did direct the oscar nominated hell on high water.

This is not even conjecture. This is just wishing.
    You guys are really talking yourself into a team melt down. Itscsuch fun to be negative, that even good news wouldnt be welcome anymore.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 832
    Couldn't disagree more with the preference of some for a new actor. Craig is the best since connery, with the right creative team they can get out of the narrative bind. If craig's film was to never happen, I would regard his era as the most disappointing in the series' history. 2 good film 2 bad films, would be as disappointing to me as dalton's departure.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more with the preference of some for a new actor. Craig is the best since connery, with the right creative team they can get out of the narrative bind. If craig's film was to never happen, I would regard his era as the most disappointing in the series' history. 2 good film 2 bad films, would be as disappointing to me as dalton's departure.

100% agree. I’m shocked to see so many people ok with a final Craig-Bond movie being scrapped. He’s by far one of, if not the best Bond. He deserves a better, more conclusive finale than what SPECTRE was.
    Precisely.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm on board with you too, @Ottofuse8 and @DonnyDB5. I think we may have to start our own forum before we're pitch-forked for these somewhat blasphemous thoughts.

Or at the very least-- post them on the controversial thread from now on!
    I’m with you all. Craig is the second best Bond after Connery, and SP was his weakest, so he deserves one more try.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ouch! that pre-pro meeting doesn't look good, does it?

I'm an idiot, but I'll wager that more is happening in pre-production than that.