No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    It’s incredible how every single contender has gone from potentially directing to taking on other projects.

I’m severely concerned we will not get this movie in 2019.

That's because many people are finding relatively better and more meaningful things to do with their time. Ordinarily 9/10 film makers would love to helm a Bond film but the industry is changing/has changed and with EoN presumably for the most part stuck in their old ways of conducting business, creatives are finding other outlets to scratch their artistic itch.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The teaser trailer for Bond 25 should be about one year away. When you look at it like that, really puts into perspective the amount of time they have to work with.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    Some people may not like what I'm going to write but on the future of this Bond 25 I'm pretty puzzled. Craig said in an interview that he was coming back after saying a few hours earlier that he had not signed for any film. It was in August and since no infos ... When I see the face of craig this year I tell myself that it no longer has its place as a Bond (yet God knows that I appreciate his Bond and I know there is makeup, sport but I am septic). The only info about the directors that we have this is a whole list of directors rejecting the project. I am among those who think that SP closed the era Craig. Campbell said he would make a Bond only if there was no Craig, so I think Craig should leave and B25 be led by Campbell and introduce a new 007. Otherwise I'm afraid Craig is making the Bond too much .
    Most directors and actors who say "they would love to do Bond" is just them being nice and respectful to this historically groundbreaking movie franchise.

They have better things to do.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    There was a time when Bond had no competition though. And the film studios weren't run by accountants.

And there was also a time when Bond had producers who, you know, actually knew what they were doing and produced.

Cinema has changed and Bond needs to fix up and get with the program. As a Bond fan I respect what the films have done and what they stood for and I don't feel tgat I'm entitled to know EVERYTHING EoN are upto; but what I do expect is for the production company to competently do their job, fulfil their mandates in making good films. They have enough source material and a back catalogue of films to be inspired by.

If Bond wants to be successful and not have his brand sullied (and it's very possible that the Bond brand CAN be sullied) the producers need to focus on making a good film first and foremost. When A-list bigger and more popular characters than Bond are failing creatively and financially it's only a matter of time before Bond finds himself in the same boat unless major changes are made, where the priority is to focus on telling a great story and make a well crafted film...and be consistent with it!
    Nobody wants to wait 4 years at a time for a mediocre to wack Bond film. The 4 year wait is bad enough but to be let down with an end product where they had all the time in the world to get their shit together is a joke to me. Bond has survived a lot but the challenges and competition faced today is unprecedented territory. The market's flooded, films are doing Bond better than Bond himself and audiences have a wider variety of entertainment and escapism. In a world where a huge portion of film goers only go to the cinema once or twice a year for films that really embody the meaning of event films, in a world where no-name properties can gross more than half a $Billion domestically and $900Million globally in under 3 weeks and be critically acclaimed and where decades old household name characters can flop so HARD, the Bond producers NEED to be concerned and address and re-address their current state of affairs. Time for EoN to get their house in order and put Bond back on the map where he ought to be.

‘Fulfil their mandate to make good fims’, you say it like that isn’t their aim. Forgive me, but this comes across more as a petulant rant, because you’re not getting what you want, rather than a indictment of the producers.

The talk of ‘putting Bond back on the map’, is also ill considered. Bond was firmly back on the map just two films ago, in a huge way. The decision was to try and capture that magic again by assembling an equally strong team, many of whom delivered the first time around. It didn’t work out, but I can’t criticise them for hiring a team that, on paper, should have delivered. They move on. It’s a lot harder to produce on the ground, than it is from behind a computer screen in your pyjamas.

After the reception of SP I expect them to adjust accordingly.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 1,031
    There's a lot of pessimissism on here. Strange after the high point of Skyfall in 2012 - the biggest grossing Bond film (even in real terms) with the most Oscar wins any Bond film has ever received. From that to being in 2018 and people talking as if the franchise is dead.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 5,767
    @boldfinger That's simply not true. John Hodge writing the screenplay of Bond 25 as we speek is not pure speculation. Nothing that deadline.com reports is pure speculation.
    That allgation is a contradiction by itself.

Oh sorry you meant that ironically, I didn´t get it immediately ;-).

It’s incredible how every single contender has gone from potentially directing to taking on other projects.

I don´t see how that differs from common filmmaking practice. 90% of all projects not being realised is nothing new. We just get more true or false details leaked through the internet nowadays.

If all those behind-the-scenes rumors are true, imagine what a thrilling documentary could be made in the style of those from the SE DVDs with Patrich McNee´s narration! I would pay money if could get that for the Craig films. Well, perhaps 20 years from now they will put something out.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @boldfinger That's simply not true. John Hodge writing the screenplay of Bond 25 as we speek is not pure speculation. Nothing that deadline.com reports is pure speculation.
    That allgation is a contradiction by itself.

Oh sorry you meant that ironically, I didn´t get it immediately ;-).

I don´t see how that differs from common filmmaking practice. 90% of all projects not being realised is nothing new. We just get more true or false details leaked through the internet nowadays.

Absolutely - it's also because of the interest in Bond makes it inevitably more public. The fact that these rumours/stories are out there, along with the repeated story of who the next Bond will be only confirms that there is still strong interest in the cinema-going public for the Bond franchise.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Kuzco wrote: »
    Some people may not like what I'm going to write but on the future of this Bond 25 I'm pretty puzzled. Craig said in an interview that he was coming back after saying a few hours earlier that he had not signed for any film. It was in August and since no infos ... When I see the face of craig this year I tell myself that it no longer has its place as a Bond (yet God knows that I appreciate his Bond and I know there is makeup, sport but I am septic). The only info about the directors that we have this is a whole list of directors rejecting the project. I am among those who think that SP closed the era Craig. Campbell said he would make a Bond only if there was no Craig, so I think Craig should leave and B25 be led by Campbell and introduce a new 007. Otherwise I'm afraid Craig is making the Bond too much .

I'm starting to come round to this way of thinking too. If all the speculation is true (big if I admit) and they still have no script and directorial candidates are falling by the wayside then just scrap the whole thing. Forget about trying to dig the Craig era narrative out of the cul de sac they've ended up stuck down, bin Craig, give Nolan carte blanche for a trilogy and lets reset for 2020.
    If I was at EON and out Danny Boyle experiment just failed. Here’s what I’d do:

1.) I wouldn’t wait for Danny to become available. We have a release date, so that means we have obligations to shareholders, sponsorship partners, distributors, etc, to get the film out by November 2019. If Danny isn’t ready for that date, we need to move on.

2.) If the Hodge script is really great, then we probably need to make a decision very soon whether to ditch P&W and keep developing that with another filmmaker.

3.) Personally, I’d keep the P&W script (as there is no guarantee that Hodge will want to work on the film without Boyle).

4.) Hire an A-list writer. Go after a big name with serious dramatic clout, I’m talking about a Tom Stoppard, the Coen brothers, Eric Roth, Jonathan Nolan, Jez Butterworth, etc.

5.) Let that writer punch up the P&W script and allow them to be the lead creative source.

6.) Bring back Martin Campbell to shoot that script. If given a great script, Campbell an competently shoot it and elevate the film in the action/spectacle stakes. If Campbell says no, offer the film to either David Mackenzie/Yann Demange/Paul McGuigan. An A-list writer cancels out the need for an A-list director.

A whole new era,Campbell directing,a new fresh 007,a stand alone Bond film back to basics,would make me feel very positive about B25.

c0e635451847186cee9608d7ecbde927.jpg

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Calliope wrote: »
    I guess he Demanged more money and they turned him down. Things appear to be Boyling over.

Actually, I find this uncertainty exciting. I like surprises.

Alt + F4 right now.
    Remember that this distribution deal is supposedly for only one film, right? I suppose that was intended to see out daniel, but what if that never happens? Will the deal still remain for the next actor, or will that fall through too?

There are so many possibilities right now, it's hard to compute it all. We don't even know if EON will be producing the next Bond film. It's hard to remember a time when the franchise had this much uncertainty surrounding it.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Remember that this distribution deal is supposedly for only one film, right? I suppose that was intended to see out daniel, but what if that never happens? Will the deal still remain for the next actor, or will that fall through too?

There are so many possibilities right now, it's hard to compute it all. We don't even know if EON will be producing the next Bond film. It's hard to remember a time when the franchise had this much uncertainty surrounding it.

To be fair it's not as bad as 89-95 yet but it's getting there. 4 years, 6 years who's counting?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,087

To be fair it's not as bad as 89-95 yet but it's getting there. 4 years, 6 years who's counting?

Having announced it on the Stephen Colbert show, I find it hard to think that Craig won't return for one more, but each day that we don't hear anything and the release date looms closer, the more that becomes a possibility.

Indeed, the only information we have gotten over the last several months regarding Bond 25, is that directors actors and producers linked to it and filling their schedules with other projects. I just hope that conference call gives us something, anything. Even a quick "we're still on track for 2019" would reassure the fan base to some degree.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Having announced it on the Stephen Colbert show, I find it hard to think that Craig won't return for one more, but each day that we don't hear anything and the release date looms closer, the more that becomes a possibility.

Indeed, the only information we have gotten over the last several months regarding Bond 25, is that directors actors and producers linked to it and filling their schedules with other projects. I just hope that conference call gives us something, anything. Even a quick "we're still on track for 2019" would reassure the fan base to some degree.

When is the conference call?
    @

Bit hyperbolic.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,087

When is the conference call?

I assume it is forthcoming based on what people having been saying here. Within a week? Not entirely sure.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,157
    Christoph Waltz, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be on board for any projects as of now. I wonder if EON may be in talks with him. I know people were not fond of his Blofeld, but IMO that was because of the script and the actor did an excellent job. As long as any references to Oberhauser are dropped, I can't see why he shouldn't return. The movie could still be a standalone story.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Christoph Waltz, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be on board for any projects as of now. I wonder if EON may be in talks with him. I know people were not fond of his Blofeld, but IMO that was because of the script and the actor did an excellent job. As long as any references to Oberhauser are dropped, I can't see why he shouldn't return. The movie could still be a standalone story.

Just discovered he was also in Goldeneye.

Could live with that at this stage.

Hackneyed though it is just have him escape, threaten the world with nuclear annihilation and Bond saves the day and kills and then we can finally bang the coffin lid shut on this whole continuity zombie they've created.
    Dennison wrote: »

You mean Waltz appears in the background somewhere or is P&W's latest pitch that the retcon extends back to 95?

Waltz ? eh ?

barryt007 wrote: »

Waltz ? eh ?

Yeah absolutely, he was in Goldeneye.

Waltz ? eh ?

Come on then,i will take the bait . ;)

Where in the film , @Dennison ?

Waltz ? eh ?

He played a German spy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Waltz ? eh ?

He played a German spy.
    He's referring to Goldeneye: The Secret Life of Ian Fleming. I posted about it some three weeks ago or so.

Waltz ? eh ?

He played a German spy.
    He's referring to Goldeneye: The Secret Life of Ian Fleming. I posted about it some three weeks ago or so.

No I'm not there's no such film, you're thinking of SPYMAKER:The Secret Life of Ian Fleming with Jason Connery. Goldeneye with Waltz does not feature Jason Connery.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 19,339

Waltz ? eh ?

He played a German spy.

Aaah of course !!

And I read those bloody posts as well,with the photos....what a wally !!

Waltz ? eh ?

He played a German spy.

Aaah of course !!

And I read those bloody posts as well,with the photos....what a wally !!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097446/

Charles Dance as Ian Fleming.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Waltz ? eh ?

He played a German spy.
    No I'm not there's no such film, you're thinking of SPYMAKER:The Secret Life of Ian Fleming with Jason Connery. Goldeneye with Waltz does not feature Jason Connery.
    Lol, ok. How's the weather there?