No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Baz has not responded at all to my Bond 25 question. I’m guessing he doesn’t have any info.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    “Enjoy the now. Don’t speculate about the future don’t bring up the past go outside and enjoy the day now when news comes it will come just relax and enjoy the now”

Sound advice.

I'm revelling in this 4 year hiatus after the terribly disappointing last entry, with little confidence that they have the faintest idea how to dig themselves out of the narrative grave they have dug and zero information coming out of EON HQ except about side projects none of us care about.

The 'now' really is a great time to be a Bond fan and no mistake.

I can recall at approximately this point in the first 4 year gap, around March of 2005, we had the director, and title already announced along with the information that B21 was indeed going to restart the series fresh.
    Now, as we're on the franchise's third 4 year gap, we have nothing of any real substance except Craig and a projected release date. Everything else seems speculation.
    The "now" has suddenly become tiresome. I had more confidence during the 89-95 period that things were rolling along regardless of the legal entanglements and the series would eventually get back to normal with a new film every other year.
    Now I feel Eon will get around to making a film at some point, but after that we'll probably be right back to where we are now: in the middle of another long gap with little information or enthusiasm for Bond's future.
    I do hope this changes soon.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 1,575
    img_3737.jpg?w=1280
    Yes please..........
    where-does-james-store-his-files-on-her-majestys-secret-server.jpg
    I wouldn't mind if they announced that Marc Forster was directing with Stuart Baird editing. I think that would be a great combination. I think Baird had a great sense of pacing in the two Bonds he's edited (CR/SF), and I like a lot of his work outside of Bond as well.
    Why not just get Lee Tamahori back?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

You're joking right?
    I'd be very okay with Marc Forster coming back. A no-nonsense approach for Bond 25 is what we need, like how he handled QOS. Unfortunately, I think it's quite unlikely.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Well, I'd actually prefer him to Mendes.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I want Mr. Kil back.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited March 2018 Posts: 2,730
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if they announced that Marc Forster was directing with Stuart Baird editing. I think that would be a great combination. I think Baird had a great sense of pacing in the two Bonds he's edited (CR/SF), and I like a lot of his work outside of Bond as well.

Ah man if only. Though he would never accept the job, after being trashed for QOS
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I, too, would welcome Marc Forster back. He got Bond way more than Mendes did.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I want Mr. Kil back.

He had a name to die for.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,738
    00Agent wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I want Mr. Kil back.

He had a name to die for.
    His new gimmick could be that, paradoxically, he now shoots a deadly laser beam out of his mouth.

latest?cb=20130516104817

-Kil, what did you do with Bond?
    -I "Kiled" him. Heh.
    -You always did have a big mouth.
    -I'm on fire!
    Walecs wrote: »
    I, too, would welcome Marc Forster back. He got Bond way more than Mendes did.

+1
    And I wouldn't mind Dan Bradley returning on second unit action!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Well, what do we think? Has Bond hit another bump in the road as happens every few years, or are Bond fans just not patient enough or have enough faith that EON are putting something together?

I expect we will have a definitive answer to this in the next 3 months. If we don't hear anything by then, I believe it is a sign that there may be a bigger gap than expected.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I still say news by May. I'm hopeful for surprises after the long wait but also somewhat resigned to more of the same.

I have a theory on this and May/June will give me some indication if I'm on the right track.

The news of Hodge doesn't surprise me (it's time for the P&W era to end, and I think even they recognize that).

If there is a delay (not saying there will be) it probably won't be long (six months at most).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    CrzChris4 wrote: »

I'd be more than happy with that. Especially if they eschewed the overarching continuity, and adapted something relatively short and earthy like THE HILDEBRAND RARITY, TSWLM (properly) or COLONEL SUN.

I always felt the Hildbrand Rarity could be the backbone of a 2 hour bond film specifically the idea of Bond being implicated in the murder and having to be on the run of course due the rogue bond element being so prevelant in every film since Die Another Day (in spite of the personal elements Brosnan’s First three films were him doing a job for her majesties government) maybe wait a few films before doing that.
    Hoping for something official next week hopefully once the Oscars have been and gone?!!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Hoping for something official next week hopefully once the Oscars have been and gone?!!!!

The Oscars haven't been yet? Have really not been paying attention to that at all.

The Oscars haven't been yet? Have really not been paying attention to that at all.

Yeah it is tonight! So I guess we wait and see?!!!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm not sure why the Oscars are relevant any more. Wouldn't it only matter if an Oscar nominated director were doing it? As far as we know, Nolan isn't involved.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well, what do we think? Has Bond hit another bump in the road as happens every few years, or are Bond fans just not patient enough or have enough faith that EON are putting something together?

The latter.
    We shall see.

Yeah it is tonight! So I guess we wait and see?!!!

Can't see any channels covering the Oscars here (middle of the night anyway).
    Will be interesting to see if we hear any news next week. Won't count on it, though.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote: »

The latter.

Correct.

I think we've been more than patient with their bleating that they have such a hard life they need a year off to recuperate and the tiresome distribution deal dragging on and on. But I think the general frustration is more to do with the fact that faith in EON is at an all time low. Unless I'm misreading the general mood? Certainly for myself my EON approval rating is at lows only matched by DAD.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,095

The latter.

Correct.

I think we've been more than patient with their bleating that they have such a hard life they need a year off to recuperate and the tiresome distribution deal dragging on and on. But I think the general frustration is more to do with the fact that faith in EON is at an all time low. Unless I'm misreading the general mood? Certainly for myself my EON approval rating is at lows only matched by DAD.

I would have been happy with them taking a year off, if we were getting a new Bond actor in 2019. On top of that, they appear to have left things to the last minute again. If Boyle isn't the director, they could still be searching.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Don't expect something to be announced immediately after the Oscars are done.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Hard to fathom after all this time EON May have waited until the last minute again to develop a script and get the ball rolling. If that’s the case then there’s definitely a severe level of incompetence.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,512

The latter.

Correct.

I’m not sure there is that much bleating, though, if any at all. A lot of fans have whipped themselves into a frenzy, but in reality it’s surely just exasperation at the lack of intel. I don’t find that surprising, really. EON have never allowed the fans to dictate - just look at this site. When it comes to Marvel or SW the hardcore are vast, acknowledged and have a certain amount of purchase.

Case in point - The Last Jedi - articles were popping up all over the place in mainstream news channels about its divisiveness amongst fans. Compare that to SP, which to us had an incredibly divisive narrative twist and there was nada. Bond belongs to the people and the people don’t care in that way. It’s simply a one off cultural event every few years. The hardcore doesn’t drive the direction and never will.

Whether that’s poor form on EON’s part is debatable, but they were doing it long before Barbara took the helm and they’ve always been very aware that directly appeasing the hardcore fan base is a slippery slope.

Basically, ask your man on the street whether he’s looking forward to the next Bond. He’ll have an opinion, but it will be utterly ambiguous. He’ll probably go and see it depending on the trailer, or if he likes the theme tune

We overthink things here.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,588
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Hard to fathom after all this time EON May have waited until the last minute again to develop a script and get the ball rolling. If that’s the case then there’s definitely a severe level of incompetence.
    Purvis & Wade we're said to be hired over a year ago.