No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited March 2018 Posts: 17,270
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Mendes4Lyfe, there is no doubt in my mind that in time the Craig era will be seen as 'self contained'. It will always have its share of fans, but it will be a product of its time.

EON (or whoever gets the series after they move on) will either create a new 'contained' characterization like the Craig era for Bond #007, or they will go back to a timeless approach of the past. My preference is for the latter, but I'm not sure that will happen.

I think many fans and the general public recognize that the Craig era is a bit of an anomaly. More people still associate Bond with the pre-boot era imho, despite this path having lasted for 10+ years.

It's easy enough to take it back to the earlier style if they want to imho. They just need the right guy to do it with and the right director/script, that's all. They also have to want to do it wholeheartedly (and not half-assedly, as they did with the last entry).

I'd like the Craig era once it's over to be left in it's own self contained universe really.

This may sound odd, but I kind of want the old regulars back post Craig.
    M being Admiral Miles Messervy, and Q - Major Boothroyd. Also a Moneypenny who's first name is not revealed to be Eve.
    In B26 I want to see Turner, Hiddleston or whoever it may be walk into the padded door office greeted by Moneypenny , flirt with her then meet with an old school M. I'd love the next 007's actor's world to be Fleming's only set in the present.

It will be interesting to see how the MI6 gang will look like after Craig, and the screen time of the regulars. I think most of us would like the usual office sequence like it was before.

The sequence with Bond and Moneypenny that I actually liked (a bit) in SP, was the cuts between her and Bond on the phone. A short conversation about information being checked, nothing more (if you look away at the fact that this was mid car chase). No "out in the field" stuff, which we got later, unfortunately.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm wanting that because I want the whole team toned down heavily. They needn't be at the forefront of these missions, out in the field with Bond. A little flirting with MP, a mission update with M, and some playful ribbing with Q, and we're off.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm wanting that because I want the whole team toned down heavily. They needn't be at the forefront of these missions, out in the field with Bond. A little flirting with MP, a mission update with M, and some playful ribbing with Q, and we're off.

One of the areas in which EON have showed their incompetency is in understanding what made Bond special in the first place. The standalone nature, and limited roles of supporting characters were what set Bond apart. Even when they chased trends, they always kept that base formula the same, and it was highly, highly effective. There was no reason that had to change, but EON now think it is better to be completely indistinguishable from the pack than to give people something different and unique. They even took away key aspects of the Bond character, so that even that was not dependable anymore.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Right on mate. The whole final reel of Spectre came off as a Mission Impossible knock off. Bond works alone.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Mendes4Lyfe, there is no doubt in my mind that in time the Craig era will be seen as 'self contained'. It will always have its share of fans, but it will be a product of its time.

EON (or whoever gets the series after they move on) will either create a new 'contained' characterization like the Craig era for Bond #007, or they will go back to a timeless approach of the past. My preference is for the latter, but I'm not sure that will happen.

I think many fans and the general public recognize that the Craig era is a bit of an anomaly. More people still associate Bond with the pre-boot era imho, despite this path having lasted for 10+ years.

It's easy enough to take it back to the earlier style if they want to imho. They just need the right guy to do it with and the right director/script, that's all. They also have to want to do it wholeheartedly (and not half-assedly, as they did with the last entry).

I'd like the Craig era once it's over to be left in it's own self contained universe really.

This may sound odd, but I kind of want the old regulars back post Craig.
    M being Admiral Miles Messervy, and Q - Major Boothroyd. Also a Moneypenny who's first name is not revealed to be Eve.
    In B26 I want to see Turner, Hiddleston or whoever it may be walk into the padded door office greeted by Moneypenny , flirt with her then meet with an old school M. I'd love the next 007's actor's world to be Fleming's only set in the present.
    +1. 100% Agreed.

Are you not just describing Spectre?!?

It was the most cliched, formulaic Bond film we’ve had in a very long while.
    The story recycles a lot the classic elements. Beyond the superficial elements (the padded door, the Moneypenny flirting, gadgets from Q, cars with weapons, silent henchman etc), the plot and villains were literally taken from another Bond film (YOLT).
    I really hope we get something more original.
    Spectre's story recycles more of the same as the three films that came before, put a Connery film gag here, a Moore film gag there, and tell the same story only told differently as its predecessor.

It's better to have a Bond that plays the same scenes (Bond flirting with Moneypenny, entering M's office to be briefed, stopping by Q-Branch to collect his gadgets or accessories he needs in the field, then off to the mission), then we get to the bit where there should be an utmost originality. The story that takes place in the field.
    It's better to have a Bond that plays the same scenes (Bond flirting with Moneypenny, entering M's office to be briefed, stopping by Q-Branch to collect his gadgets or accessories he needs in the field, then off to the mission), then we get to the bit where there should be an utmost originality. The story that takes place in the field.
    Ach, it would be heaven to have Bond and Q boredly go through the motions, only to have Bond then find completely unexpected ways to use Q´s gadgets. That would be a healthy symbiosis.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Ach, it would be heaven to have Bond and Q boredly go through the motions, only to have Bond then find completely unexpected ways to use Q´s gadgets. That would be a healthy symbiosis.
    Precisely!
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,619
    I just hope they know Nolan's phone number. He's knows how to save a franchise from the brink, and could deliver a true masterpiece like we haven't seen since the 60's run.
    Why so impatient? Nolan is going to write and direct Bond 26. As for Bond 25, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!
    but what if right now they're planning some outlines for Bond films ten years ahead?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pJOm2mRHDE0
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I just hope they know Nolan's phone number. He's knows how to save a franchise from the brink, and could deliver a true masterpiece like we haven't seen since the 60's run.
    Why so impatient? Nolan is going to write and direct Bond 26. As for Bond 25, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!
    but what if right now they're planning some outlines for Bond films ten years ahead?

But we aren't so sure things are running smoothly or we would have heard something by now, and Nolan hasn't announced his next project yet.
    @Mendes4Lyfe Things are definitely NOT running smoothly, but no need to worry, a GREAT Bond film (Chris Nolan's Bond 26) is just around the corner.
    Eon have been known to go from one extreme to the other. After the extensive production coverage and email leaks, maybe they indeed play it tight to their chest this time. Everything beyond P & W and Craig is pure speculation.
    @boldfinger That's simply not true. John Hodge writing the screenplay of Bond 25 as we speek is not pure speculation. Nothing that deadline.com reports is pure speculation.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It’s incredible how every single contender has gone from potentially directing to taking on other projects.

I’m severely concerned we will not get this movie in 2019.
    I...I have just been overcome with an overwhelming sense of grief. Is this the beginning of the end of James Bond? Was Spectre appropriately recalling the grim reaper? Say it ain't so.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Calliope wrote: »
    I guess he Demanged more money and they turned him down. Things appear to be Boyling over.

Actually, I find this uncertainty exciting. I like surprises.
    Just get Mendes to do it & be done with it.
    I'd rather have Tanya Roberts directing.
    At this point I don’t even give a damn who does it. I just want one final Craig-Bond movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If all this is true, I bet they'll convince Villeneuve, and inevitably, newly-minted Oscar winner Roger Deakins to do B25.

Or I'm totally wrong.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    At this point I don’t even give a damn who does it. I just want one final Craig-Bond movie.

Same. Just get it done, then start the next era fresh.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Well there is David Mackenzie
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Most of what you write results in producing that reaction out of me.
    They’re running out of options. They should seriously consider convincing Campbell. He brought Craig in, he should bring him out.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    They’re running out of options. They should seriously consider convincing Campbell. He brought Craig in, he should bring him out.

Yes!

talos7 wrote: »
    Yes!
    Better make that three!
    talos7 wrote: »
    Yes!
    Better make that three!
    Four!
    Of course, I agree (fifth!), but it's very unlikely. If there were zero restrictions, Campbell would be my #1 choice to end Craig's era with Bond 25.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Make that a sixth. I've been saying that for a while now. :-bd
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    NicNac wrote: »
    There was a time when Bond had no competition though. And the film studios weren't run by accountants.

And there was also a time when Bond had producers who, you know, actually knew what they were doing and produced.

Cinema has changed and Bond needs to fix up and get with the program. As a Bond fan I respect what the films have done and what they stood for and I don't feel tgat I'm entitled to know EVERYTHING EoN are upto; but what I do expect is for the production company to competently do their job, fulfil their mandates in making good films. They have enough source material and a back catalogue of films to be inspired by.

If Bond wants to be successful and not have his brand sullied (and it's very possible that the Bond brand CAN be sullied) the producers need to focus on making a good film first and foremost. When A-list bigger and more popular characters than Bond are failing creatively and financially it's only a matter of time before Bond finds himself in the same boat unless major changes are made, where the priority is to focus on telling a great story and make a well crafted film...and be consistent with it!
    Nobody wants to wait 4 years at a time for a mediocre to wack Bond film. The 4 year wait is bad enough but to be let down with an end product where they had all the time in the world to get their shit together is a joke to me. Bond has survived a lot but the challenges and competition faced today is unprecedented territory. The market's flooded, films are doing Bond better than Bond himself and audiences have a wider variety of entertainment and escapism. In a world where a huge portion of film goers only go to the cinema once or twice a year for films that really embody the meaning of event films, in a world where no-name properties can gross more than half a $Billion domestically and $900Million globally in under 3 weeks and be critically acclaimed and where decades old household name characters can flop so HARD, the Bond producers NEED to be concerned and address and re-address their current state of affairs. Time for EoN to get their house in order and put Bond back on the map where he ought to be.