No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't disagree @patb. I don't think they were planning to create a Logan clone necessarily, but perhaps got some inspiration from that film, particularly with respect to a far older character in a different place from where he was in the prior film.

I can only imagine that Hodge suggests a new approach is in the works.

That suits me fine because I honestly didn't care for 'old man' Logan. Enough with the old man s#!^. Let's get back to a virile and capable Bond.

Have you seen Daniel Craig recently?

495D47BE00000578-5412361-image-m-58_1519123175237.jpg

He's 50 and looks it. If they attempt to depict him as "virile", I think I may throw up. They tried to do the same thing in AVTAK by making the older Moore sleep with 20 somethings and wear a Fila tracksuit. It was embarrassing.

I don't think they have an option not to do "Old Man Bond" or "No Country For Old Bond".
    I can't disagree with your points. I'd say he looks older than 50 to be honest.

There is another way out of course. Hopefully sensible minds prevail and buy him out of his contract before we have another embarrassment on our hands.

Otherwise 'old man' it is, but I'd still go with Hodge over P&W, just for something 'fresh'.

"No Country For Old Bond". Ha. I like that. Maybe in an outburst of anti-Brexit emotion he leaves MI6 and moves to Brussels.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Does anyone know when this Hodge guy supposedly started working on Bond 25's script?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Does anyone know when this Hodge guy supposedly started working on Bond 25's script?
    It was apparently a couple of weeks before the story broke, so perhaps just over a month ago now.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It was apparently a couple of weeks before the story broke, so perhaps just over a month ago now.

Ok thanks. I just don't want another situation where things, i.e. the script is left to start too late or left unchecked and it's another rush job.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    All well and good suggesting they go down the Logan route but let's not forget they already nonsensically did that in the first half of SF.

CR - Rookie.
    QOS - Still a rookie as it takes place right after.
    SF - Burned out and over the hill.
    SP - Back at his peak.

With the just the tiniest bit of forethought and planning this era could have been brilliant with the character (and one of the best actors in the role) developing over the course of 5 films and bookending his tenure with two of the meatiest stories Fleming put the character through - Vesper and an adaptation of the YOLT novel.

How have they managed to cock it up this badly?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,600
    I think most people realise that, in the perfect World, SF should have been his last movie. Not saying he should have stopped, the script should have been kept back and saved for now. Those scenes in the gym where he is struggling would have worked better, the scene in the gallery ("grand old ship") would be better, and that iconic scene where he is on the roof overlooking London: the perfect way to say goodbye. With Dench and DC bowing out together, And a new M to work with a new Bond in the next movie.

The more you think about DCs tenure...yes, what a cock up
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    I think most people realise that, in the perfect World, SF should have been his last movie. Not saying he should have stopped, the script should have been kept back and saved for now. Those scenes in the gym where he is struggling would have worked better and that iconic scene where he is on the roof overlooking London: the perfect way to say goodbye. And a new M to work with a new Bond in the next movie.
    I quite agree. He should have walked after SF on a 'high' and they could have brought Fassbender in for B24. Done.

Instead, as with all of the longer servers he stayed one film too long. Now has the benefit of another chance.
    With hindsight, making age and time the themes of Bond when he had only made 2 is really wierd and they should have considered what would happen afterwards. Imagine doing the same thing to SC or RM , writing those themes for their third movies - "a step slower, grand old ship, hauled away for scrap, failing the physical tests etc) Goldfinger and TSWLM are the thirds for them - they were at their peak,

Oh dear.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    But after QoS was received kinda lukewarm they aimed for something new and with SF they did ... and it worked very well. SF was „old man Bond“ and it was done really great and the last scene was nothing but awesome ... a very good one as in CR.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 623
    I'm not too worried about the 'burned out' Bond. It worked within the story. He'd lost faith in M ("take the bloody shot"), and was disillusioned. Then he came back, got fit, and did what he had to do, and the last scene had him back right where Bond should be. He certainly didn't begin or end the film 'burnt out'. It was within the confines of the narrative. For me, it wasn't a major problem.
    It wasn't so much an age thing, more a despondency, which is also in Fleming's novels. Bond was prone to that. I think the only reference to Bond's age in Skyfall was "old dog new tricks".
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 5,767
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Some folks tend to get a bit worked up here, it's true. Nothing wrong with tough love though.

At the end of the day, James Bond is what we all love. Not the producers (although I'm sure they're some who do love them) or the actor (although again, I'm sure there are some who will be deflated once he moves on).

It is the direction of the franchise and the films we love that inform our opinion on this thread. Of course nobody is going to completely agree, because we all have different opinions on things. That's what makes being a Bond fan so much fun. 50+ years of history and variety along with the novels.

The only thing I will point out again is that based on what we know to date (not much I'll agree, but we know some things), B25 is not going to light the box office on fire. You can take that to the bank. Anyone with some perspective should have been aware of that. I suspect some of the delay is because some people in positions of importance now realize that, and are making the necessary adjustments as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets moved to 2020 sometime because the release calendar for 2019 really got filled in after they announced the placeholder in July.

If it goes to late 2020 then Craig has to go.

I agree, we don't need a garden gnome as Bond. I think SP works as a finale for Craig, and gives that film a significance that a follow up would rob from it. Each of the Craig films have a significance to them, and a fifth Craig film would make SP completely pointless IMO. If Bond doesn't ride off with Madders into the sunset, then what was the point of that one compared to the others? (and SP is the longest of the lot, remember)
    SP is pointless as it is, so the sooner it drifts into oblivion the better.

Have you seen Daniel Craig recently?

He's 50 and looks it. If they attempt to depict him as "virile", I think I may throw up. They tried to do the same thing in AVTAK by making the older Moore sleep with 20 somethings and wear a Fila tracksuit. It was embarrassing.

I don't think they have an option not to do "Old Man Bond" or "No Country For Old Bond".
    He looked fit and alive and easily capable of being menacing in Lucky Logan, which is not that far in the past.
    To judge an actor who is known for liking his pint here and there by his appearance at a time he is not doing much workout is not very sensible.

patb wrote: »
    With hindsight, making age and time the themes of Bond when he had only made 2 is really wierd and they should have considered what would happen afterwards.
    Really weird indeed, especially since Craig was already quite old for the rookie he played in CR. Makes him look a bit like a retard, first being so old when he joins the 00 section, then two films later having kind of a midlife crisis.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Some folks tend to get a bit worked up here, it's true. Nothing wrong with tough love though.

At the end of the day, James Bond is what we all love. Not the producers (although I'm sure they're some who do love them) or the actor (although again, I'm sure there are some who will be deflated once he moves on).

It is the direction of the franchise and the films we love that inform our opinion on this thread. Of course nobody is going to completely agree, because we all have different opinions on things. That's what makes being a Bond fan so much fun. 50+ years of history and variety along with the novels.

The only thing I will point out again is that based on what we know to date (not much I'll agree, but we know some things), B25 is not going to light the box office on fire. You can take that to the bank. Anyone with some perspective should have been aware of that. I suspect some of the delay is because some people in positions of importance now realize that, and are making the necessary adjustments as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets moved to 2020 sometime because the release calendar for 2019 really got filled in after they announced the placeholder in July.

If it goes to late 2020 then Craig has to go.

I agree, we don't need a garden gnome as Bond. I think SP works as a finale for Craig, and gives that film a significance that a follow up would rob from it. Each of the Craig films have a significance to them, and a fifth Craig film would make SP completely pointless IMO. If Bond doesn't ride off with Madders into the sunset, then what was the point of that one compared to the others? (and SP is the longest of the lot, remember)
    SP is pointless as it is, so the sooner it drifts into oblivion the better.
    Agreed. That is why I can't for the life of me understand why they would want to remind us of it by continuing with the key individual around which the entire wretched narrative revolved, namely this iteration of Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    mattjoes wrote: »
    They also released this poster:

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

and they could have brought Fassbender in for B24. Done.
    Fassbender is a horrible actor and would have been an awful Bond. Thank god we dodged this bullet!
    and they could have brought Fassbender in for B24. Done.
    Fassbender is a horrible actor and would have been an awful Bond. Thank god we dodged this bullet!
    He would have been better than what we got in SP, that's for sure. He is more suited to the direction they went with in that film, and the direction they must go in moving forward. Sadly, he's too old for it now.
  • LFSLFS
    If it doesn´t work out with Danny Boyle because the production would have to be delayed, they should let Purvis and Wade finish their script and hand it to John Glen - he would give us a film within the next four months.

I can´t stand how long this all takes. Where are the so-called "journeyman" directors of today that were used to be looked down at? I miss that kind of workmanship.
    LFS wrote: »
    I can´t stand how long this all takes. Where are the so-called "journeyman" directors of today that were used to be looked down at? I miss that kind of workmanship.
    Oh they are certainly out there, ready willing and able. They just aren't the preferred choice at the moment.

From what I can see, they are on a different path, perhaps on account of promises made and plans hatched back in 2005.

We'll break this cycle eventually, but it's likely not going to happen for B25.
    Murdock wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    They also released this poster:

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

That film is more a classic than the last two Bond films will ever be, haha! :))
  • LFSLFS
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40
    I am not a fan of the path the producers are on, it´s not the path that led to a franchise surviving for over 50 years.
    I am not a fan of the path the producers are on, it´s not the path that led to a franchise surviving for over 50 years.
    You and I are on the same page to a degree. I think it will survive because the brand in itself is bulletproof, but it may need to go away for a while and come back reimagined from time to time on account of the direction they've taken post-reboot.

The current path doesn't lend itself to the sort of assembly line regularity which characterized Bond for so many years. That's a path I favoured, and I believe you and some other fans do as well.

We aren't being catered to at present. They have 'bolder' ambitions.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/928051/James-Bond-25-delayed-Daniel-Craig-Danny-Boyle-Yann-Demange/amp

Looks like news outlets are starting to feel the same way all of us are. I can almost guarantee our next announcement will be a delay in the release date, and that will be the biggest news we get for another year or so.

I do hope I’m wrong.
  • RC7RC7

Can you name a company that has trodden the same path for its entire existence and is still going strong?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    If it doesn´t work out with Danny Boyle because the production would have to be delayed, they should let Purvis and Wade finish their script and hand it to John Glen - he would give us a film within the next four months.

Err John Glen is nearly 86 mate.

But I take your point. Bond has never been the Oscar bait Babs is obsessed with elevating it to.

If John Barry and Ken Adam at their peak aren't going to win an academy award for the series it ain't going to happen luv.

Just get in a competent director who can tell an exciting story, give us some staggering stunts, interesting locations, scenery chewing villains and fit birds and entertain us.

There really is no need to keep chasing these big name directors.

Err John Glen is nearly 86 mate.

But I take your point. Bond has never been the Oscar bait Babs is obsessed with elevating it to.

If John Barry and Ken Adam at their peak aren't going to win an academy award for the series it ain't going to happen luv.

Just get in a competent director who can tell an exciting story, give us some staggering stunts, interesting locations, scenery chewing villains and fit birds and entertain us.

There really is no need to keep chasing these big name directors.

Spot on!
    Just get a journeyman worker who is free of drama and has no higher pretensions. Commission a whiz bang script that doesn't have the 'this time it's personal' mantra as its religion. Hire three fit birds for our Bond to shag, dispose, and leave. Make a fun Bond film with sharp repartee, bold stunts and jolly good action. And you've pretty much got yourself a hit.
    You gentlemen are definitely making a lot of sense, but regrettably I fear this is not in line with the thinking of our friendly producer or her lead actor. On the contrary in fact.

I look forward to being proven wrong though. Very much so.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    You gentlemen are definitely making a lot of sense, but regrettably I fear this is not in line with the thinking of our friendly producer or her lead actor. On the contrary in fact.

Maybe in 2022.
    Remington wrote: »

Maybe in 2022.
    There is certainly an increasing expectation among certain members of the fanbase that this will be the case. I sincerely hope we aren't let down. Otherwise Daniel Craig's suicide remarks may be mild in comparison to what some members might threaten. I don't even want to think about it.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    You keep maligning Craig and that’s unjust. He’s simply trying to not make Brosnan level crap. EON are doing their usual fumbling about. That leaves the director to make something good. Mendes was a mistake. But once Craig is gone if you think something magical will happen and EON is going to pull it together and deliver what, another FRWL? That’s false hope. Better to hope for B25 because B26 will be the same boat but with just a different actor. Oh and possibly and likely weaker actor who they will also manage to underwhelm with.
    Just to clarify, in case you have a misunderstanding, of course I hope for B25. Nobody wants the film to fail. That would be bad for all of us because it would likely necessitate another ridiculous and idiotic delay. However, some of us are looking for a change of direction and approach because we feel the current actor, good as he may be, has limitations. Plus, he's getting on. Such limitation narrow the directions in which they can proceed. It's as simple as that.

As has been said before, they've tied everything together with this iteration unnecessarily. Craig was an instrumental part of that. He wasn't an innocent bystander. He's had more control over things than any other actor ever has. It's important to keep that in mind.

Whether one likes to admit it or not, he is the one who held out for Mendes. Whether one likes to admit it or not, he is the one who held out until 2017 before agreeing to return. Whether one likes to admit it or not, the direction they have taken with the last 3 films has been a direct result of him. The actor shapes the direction. Always has. Always will. The two are inextricably linked.

I'm not sure about you, but I've enjoyed all six iterations to date in varying degrees. Yes, including this one and yes including Brosnan. Over 50+ years the introduction of a new actor and a new direction has always added energy to the franchise.

I don't expect anything different next time out, and so don't share your pessimism about the future after B25. In fact, I welcome it.