No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    They also released this poster:

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.
    When the film is eventually released I think we will find that this is reasonably apropos (in the sense that this is all that we know for sure about B25 at present), although perhaps the "Coming Soon" is a bit optimistic.
    bondjames wrote: »

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.
    When the film is eventually released I think we will find that this is reasonably apropos (in the sense that this is all that we know for sure about B25 at present), although perhaps the "Coming Soon" is a bit optimistic.

We also know that 'Eon Productions presents Daniel Craig as Ian Fleming's James Bond'
    Dennison wrote: »

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

We also know that 'Eon Productions presents Daniel Craig as Ian Fleming's James Bond'
    Yes, of course. Of course.
    So can we rule Yann Demange out yet? He's just signed on to work on a HBO show with JJ Abrams and Jordan Peele. That's a pretty powerhouse trio:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/yann-demange-joins-jordan-peele-jj-abrams-hbos-lovecraft-country-1092136

I feel Eon are letting a really good thing slip with Demange. I think he's a fast-rising star and will be an A-list director within 5 years. I'm talking Ryan Coogler-esque trajectory. But who am I to argue with Babs.

The hilarity of the whole situation is that B25 is 9 months away from beginning production and NONE of the names connected will direct the film.

Looking over the Craig era:

CR: Campbell was first rumoured in November 2004 and signed on in January 2005. That's a whole 13 months before production began.

QOS: Forster was first rumoured in April and signed on in June 2007. That's only 6 months before production began. HOWEVER, the timeframe between finishing CR and starting on QOS was much shorter than the 3 years Eon has had this cycle. When they signed Forster it was only 5/6 months after CR came out. That's fairly speedy turnaround.

SF: Mendes was attached from January 2010 and worked on the film for nearly three years. Though this was highly unusual scenario with the MGM bankruptcy played a huge role.

SF: Mendes committed in July 2014. He had around 18 months before production began.

The only real indicator we have this time are the Brosnan films. All of which hired their director in Summer the year before production began. However, much like QOS, there was shorter windows between the films then.

Eon need to bite the bullet and bring back a Craig-era director. I wouldn't even be adverse to Marc Forster returning based off the charming trailer for his new Disney film:

There is still MacKenzie as someone pointed out a few pages back. Perhaps he's the guy.

What is giving me confidence that this will all work out for the best is the distributor (and I don't mean Annapurna, but rather 'the big one'). Once they are locked this thing will finally get moving and in the right trajectory. Anything that doesn't make sense or is a hindrance will be discarded, and we will finally proceed with full effect.
    Guy Ritchie... sure he and Craig would get on like a house on fire.

Not.
  • Was that tweet from the MI6 twitter meant to have a jab at the production process? or is it an actual image?

I think it's a joke.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It is definitely a joke.
    That's a stock picture, so yes it's a joke.
    I thought the conference meeting picture was quite amusing as was the teaser poster.
    Although there has been much pessimism on this thread, something I embrace the fact I am also guilty of, it has been done with wit, style and humor.

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

At least we know the name of the next movie then
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,724
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I thought the conference meeting picture was quite amusing as was the teaser poster.
    Although there has been much pessimism on this thread, something I embrace the fact I am also guilty of, it has been done with wit, style and humor.
    Well, it's better not to take things too seriously. We love the Bond films, but they're just films, anyway. Some things could be better but currently the Bond series is in good shape, and it's not a disaster zone by any stretch of the imagination (though some will undoubtedly disagree). Anyway, the poster joke is more about the "temperature" of this thread than the state of the franchise.
    vzok wrote: »

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

The next film will be called "Spy", and the one after that "Action."
    Well, it's better not to take things too seriously. We love the Bond films, but they're just films, anyway. Some things could be better but currently the Bond series is in good shape, and it's not a disaster zone by any stretch of the imagination (though some will undoubtedly disagree). Anyway, the poster joke is more about the "temperature" of this thread than the state of the franchise.

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

and the next one Genre
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

and the next one Genre
    And the one after that: Film.

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

and the next one Genre

Followed by Love and then Angst.

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

and the next one Genre
    And the one after that: Film.

That's all of Tom Hardy's films sorted.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Some folks tend to get a bit worked up here, it's true. Nothing wrong with tough love though.

At the end of the day, James Bond is what we all love. Not the producers (although I'm sure they're some who do love them) or the actor (although again, I'm sure there are some who will be deflated once he moves on).

It is the direction of the franchise and the films we love that inform our opinion on this thread. Of course nobody is going to completely agree, because we all have different opinions on things. That's what makes being a Bond fan so much fun. 50+ years of history and variety along with the novels.

The only thing I will point out again is that based on what we know to date (not much I'll agree, but we know some things), B25 is not going to light the box office on fire. You can take that to the bank. Anyone with some perspective should have been aware of that. I suspect some of the delay is because some people in positions of importance now realize that, and are making the necessary adjustments as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets moved to 2020 sometime because the release calendar for 2019 really got filled in after they announced the placeholder in July.
    Some folks tend to get a bit worked up here, it's true. Nothing wrong with tough love though.

At the end of the day, James Bond is what we all love. Not the producers (although I'm sure they're some who do love them) or the actor (although again, I'm sure there are some who will be deflated once he moves on).

It is the direction of the franchise and the films we love that inform our opinion on this thread. Of course nobody is going to completely agree, because we all have different opinions on things. That's what makes being a Bond fan so much fun. 50+ years of history and variety along with the novels.

The only thing I will point out again is that based on what we know to date (not much I'll agree, but we know some things), B25 is not going to light the box office on fire. You can take that to the bank. Anyone with some perspective should have been aware of that. I suspect some of the delay is because some people in positions of importance now realize that, and are making the necessary adjustments as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets moved to 2020 sometime because the release calendar for 2019 really got filled in after they announced the placeholder in July.

If it goes to late 2020 then Craig has to go.
    @bondjames spot on with those points.

Leading from that, would lower expectations create a little more freedom to come up with something different? with DCs final, the classic template can always return with a new Bond.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,087
    barryt007 wrote: »

I agree, we don't need a garden gnome as Bond. I think SP works as a finale for Craig, and gives that film a significance that a follow up would rob from it. Each of the Craig films have a significance to them, and a fifth Craig film would make SP completely pointless IMO. If Bond doesn't ride off with Madders into the sunset, then what was the point of that one compared to the others? (and SP is the longest of the lot, remember)
    @patb, I think that might be where the delay is. There was apparently a P&W draft screenplay written as Craig's final go around. Presumably that was a factor in his announced return.

From what we know now, there is another independent draft being prepared by Hodge. Why? What is the point of starting fresh? Unless there is the potential for a delay and something different under consideration.

I can only assume that Logan was an initial motivation for the direction they were going to go in . Well that film was some time ago and the market seems to have moved on. So perhaps they are trying a different approach with Hodge?

One day we will know more about what has happened here, but I think the distributor (not Annapurna as stated) is behind this.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I agree, we don't need a garden gnome as Bond. I think SP works as a finale for Craig, and gives that film a significance that a follow up would rob from it. Each of the Craig films have a significance to them, and a fifth Craig film would make SP completely pointless IMO. If Bond doesn't ride off with Madders into the sunset, then what was the point of that one compared to the others? (and SP is the longest of the lot, remember)

Exactly,and i'm sure it was made with that in mind,so they should have stuck to their guns and then wouldn't need to find a way out the massive hole that is 'Brothergate'.

A new 007 for B25 would have put that sticky situation and Craig's era to bed,and on a fitting ending.

But no....it has to carry on again,and drag on again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »
    I'd love to know how some members would've coped before the Internet gave us rolling info.
    Yes it's annoying that we have a lack of info for Bond 25.
    But EON aren't obligated to tell us anything. We have no right to information because we're 'James Bond fans'
    I'll admit some of their recent efforts have been up and down for me, but I still believe the Brocolli/ Wilson family can and will deliver a Bond film.
    In some ways the surprise element makes it a little exciting. Maybe as in the old days, it would be good to see a trailer, then a few months later see the finished film.

People didn t walk around hungering for "news" all the time. Everyone just carried on with their lives and didn t give these things a second thought until something was announced in some medium.
    As Q would say : "It's called the internet,007,so get used to it."
  • RC7RC7
    Benny wrote: »
    I'd love to know how some members would've coped before the Internet gave us rolling info.
    Yes it's annoying that we have a lack of info for Bond 25.
    But EON aren't obligated to tell us anything. We have no right to information because we're 'James Bond fans'
    I'll admit some of their recent efforts have been up and down for me, but I still believe the Brocolli/ Wilson family can and will deliver a Bond film.
    In some ways the surprise element makes it a little exciting. Maybe as in the old days, it would be good to see a trailer, then a few months later see the finished film.

People didn t walk around hungering for "news" all the time. Everyone just carried on with their lives and didn t give these things a second thought until something was announced in some medium.

A beautiful time.
    @bondjames IMHO Logan worked for some of the reasons SF worked. It focussed on character, allowed actors room to perform and interact and pushed the series in a new direction/tone. (still bags and bags of action)

There is plenty of scope in this area without making a Logan clone.

It seems that there are key decisions to make that should have been made literally years ago and , without those decisions made, it must be hard to make progress.

5VvYN8N.jpg

Exciting stuff.

The voice of reason. Thanks for that anong all this paranoic pessimism.
    I don't disagree @patb. I don't think they were planning to create a Logan clone necessarily, but perhaps got some inspiration from that film, particularly with respect to a far older character in a different place from where he was in the prior film.

I can only imagine that Hodge suggests a new approach is in the works.

That suits me fine because I honestly didn't care for 'old man' Logan. Enough with the old man s#!^. Let's get back to a virile and capable Bond.
    Old Man Jimbo.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,400
    I don't disagree @patb. I don't think they were planning to create a Logan clone necessarily, but perhaps got some inspiration from that film, particularly with respect to a far older character in a different place from where he was in the prior film.

I can only imagine that Hodge suggests a new approach is in the works.

That suits me fine because I honestly didn't care for 'old man' Logan. Enough with the old man s#!^. Let's get back to a virile and capable Bond.

Have you seen Daniel Craig recently?

495D47BE00000578-5412361-image-m-58_1519123175237.jpg

He's 50 and looks it. If they attempt to depict him as "virile", I think I may throw up. They tried to do the same thing in AVTAK by making the older Moore sleep with 20 somethings and wear a Fila tracksuit. It was embarrassing.

I don't think they have an option not to do "Old Man Bond" or "No Country For Old Bond".