No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Has Craig ever talked about what he thought of his acting in SP? Or what he thought of the story or script? Just curious. I like SP...I would agree with many who would say it's not the absolute best (and some here would say "that's putting it mildly 007")...and I did find a lot of his acting to be relatively "relaxed", but to me it's still a James Bond movie that I find entertaining and holds my interest throughout. And I wonder if he's mentioned anything since about trying to do better next time.
    I think it’s safe to say he wasn’t crazy about how SP went since he specifically said he wanted to go out on a high note for Bond 25.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    bondjames wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    I'm still angry that Waltz isn't back. The story feels incomplete without Bond killing him. Actually, it is weird the no actor has played Blofeld twice. I thought for once they'd finally do it with Waltz. Sigh. :/
    SPECTRE has been destroyed and the baddie is captured. The story is complete.

Agreed, except they're doing a new film wich will feel tackled on considering Craig's previous four films are all linked because of SP. I truly wish they had stayed out of this continuity mess and Bond 24 had been a stand alone mission, but they didn't and decided to bring Blofeld back, so they better finish him off now.
    Bond also retired and drove off into the sunset yet here we are. I'm sure I'll enjoy Bond 25, but I do think that if they wanted to do another Craig film they should have bought Blofeld back. I was fine with SP as an ending to be honest. It seemed to bring everything full circle.
    This is basically how I feel too. I tend to do Bond marathons from time to time, and the Craig run is really a connected narrative, even if it feels a bit forced. I think it would be preferable if they try to close it out properly by making it a 'Spectre' related film, even if it isn't a Blofeld related one. At least that way the entire Craig arc would be integrated and focused on this one enemy.

One of the most inventive plots in the action genre my opinion is the one for Die Hard 3. I wouldn't mind it if someone who has been impacted by Craig Bond's antics over the years decides to come back and extract supposed revenge when the real motivation is profit, similar to 'Simon' from that Willis entry. That would be interesting. So the earlier half of the film is Bond evading a supposed 'hit', but the whole thing is a distraction for something else. Shades of TMWTGG (the film) would allow Craig to bring his trademark intensity as he fears for his life.

I think the Die Hard 3 idea would work really well. We wouldn't see it coming because with Craig's Bond it is always personal, and subverting that in his last film would be a cool way to end things.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think it’s safe to say he wasn’t crazy about how SP went since he specifically said he wanted to go out on a high note for Bond 25.

Yes, that's how I took that quote. He knew that SP was not that.

That's the impression I got too. I kept saying after the leaks that I thought SP would be his last, because it was written as a possibility, and if it had got the reviews that CR and SF did then I genuinely don't think he'd have done another.
  • Saw Ex Machina yesterday... I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but man, I wish Boyle would have asked Alex Garland to co-write the script.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    March was the sparsest month in a while. Hopefully April chucks something interesting at us.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think that they will feel the pressure to keep things alive Post-Craig. Particularly is B25 is a success. They know that the anniversary is a big potential payoff as well.

50 is a big deal, but 60 really isn t.
    I think that they will feel the pressure to keep things alive Post-Craig. Particularly is B25 is a success. They know that the anniversary is a big potential payoff as well.

Exactly. Only a few dozen Bond fans will care about the 60th anniversary.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Saw Ex Machina yesterday... I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but man, I wish Boyle would have asked Alex Garland to co-write the script.
    I would love for Garland to be involved in some capacity.
    It’s sort of sad we only got 2 films between the 40th and 50th anniversary, and the same thing will happen with the 50th and 60th.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Sad is not quite the word I would use to describe it. Something a little more derogatory might be in order.

Hopefully once this protracted era is finally in the rear view mirror, and once MGM does whatever it needs to do to get its financial house in order (whether that be a sale or an IPO), we get back to a more regular schedule with some semblance of a long term strategic plan.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Sad is not quite the word I would use to describe it. Something a little more derogatory might be in order.

Hopefully once this protracted era is finally in the rear view mirror, and once MGM does whatever it needs to do to get its financial house in order (whether that be a sale or an IPO), we get back to a more regular schedule with some semblance of a long term strategic plan.

"Sad" is a good way to put it, "effed up" is better. I fear we may get to the point when the only new Bond films released are on anniversary dates. One film every ten years.
    I do hope MGM gets things turned around to make 007 a priority again.
    Are you really believing there could be some trith in ghis frozen story? That sounds awful

Exactly. Only a few dozen Bond fans will care about the 60th anniversary.

They played up the 40th, I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same for the 60th.

The the 40th also coincided with DAD being the 20th film though, which I think made it a bigger deal.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    60th a bigger deal than 40th. It's not really up for debate it just is.

Also:
    40th = ruby
    60th = diamond (which have a price far above rubies)

I meant a bigger deal than it would have been otherwise. In the grand scheme of things I just don't think anyone bar us lot will really care about an anniversary outside of the 50th, but the 40th got some attention because it was also the 20th film so they went all out with the references and press events and stuff (most of the publicity around it was about 20 films rather than 40 years iirc, and then you have the reference with the watch in the film).
    I meant a bigger deal than it would have been otherwise. In the grand scheme of things I just don't think anyone bar us lot will really care about an anniversary outside of the 50th, but the 40th got some attention because it was also the 20th film so they went all out with the references and press events and stuff (most of the publicity around it was about 20 films rather than 40 years iirc, and then you have the reference with the watch in the film).
    Well this is true of any of them. If EON hadn't bigged up the 50th would the general public have either known or cared?

To be honest I think the Olympics and Adele had a far bigger pull for the general public than the 50th when it came to affecting SF's box office.

25th: ITV had a premiere special with TVAM's Nick Owen (did I ever recount the tale of his missus and my arse?) and Lois Maxwell showing clips of the series. There were also the two Sally Hibbin books but I can't recall a great deal more.

30th: Was bang in the early 90s hiatus but ITV again knocked up a special (sans Nick Owen alas) with talking heads and clips (probably as a prelude to a season of showing the films). And Corgi re-released loads of old models of the likes of Little Nellie, Toyota 2000GT, the Moonbuggy, the Moonraker, Aston Volante with nice little enamel figures of Bond, Blofeld, Oddjob, Jaws etc

40th: I can only remember DAD and it's crappy references (Pierce sniffing Klebb's shoe a low point that gets missed in amongst all the other lunacy) but I wasn't living in the country then so I daresay there was an ITV special again. Also Corgi did a reasonable job (not as good as the 30th) with some re-releases I think.

50th: We at least got Everything or Nothing and the odd special on telly as I recall. Thin gruel apart from that though - looking primarily at you here Corgi and the crappy bluray box set.

60th: You would imagine at the very least a special, a few books and I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Corgi might just release the DB5 in new packaging.

The point being that every anniversary has been pretty much the same; only aimed at geeks like us and the general public has been largely ignorant so I don't see a lot changing for the 60th.

We can at least expect a couple of tweets from EON! :))
    40th: I can only remember DAD and it's crappy references (Pierce sniffing Klebb's shoe a low point that gets missed in amongst all the other lunacy) but I wasn't living in the country then so I daresay there was an ITV special again. Also Corgi did a reasonable job (not as good as the 30th) with some re-releases I think.

After all these years, I've never noticed him smelling that shoe!
    Saw Ex Machina yesterday... I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but man, I wish Boyle would have asked Alex Garland to co-write the script.

If I'm not mistaken Garland was Boyle's writer for a long period of time. There will be reasons Garland is working on his own now and directing also. I love Ex Machina too, but more for its set design and ambience than for its story. And Garland's latest film Annihilation shows very strong ambitions towards things that would be far too clever and deep for their own good if used in a Bond context.

If Pierce starred in FRWL, he would have sniffed her hair and made out with her as well after Tatiana Shot her.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,730

If Pierce starred in FRWL, he would have sniffed her hair and made out with her as well after Tatiana Shot her.

You are forgetting that he would also bite her shoulder and clench his jaw really hard too
    News of Bond mentoring a younger agent is interesting. Surely setting the stage for a spin-off?
    Is that younger agent Michael Fassbender, and does Q transfer Bond s soul into the younger agent s body at the end of the film?

This is what always happened between actors before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TR007 wrote: »
    News of Bond mentoring a younger agent is interesting. Surely setting the stage for a spin-off?
    That is my speculation as well. Instant credibility and marketability is conferred by the Bond connection. Look for this to debut on EPIX streaming in 2020.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    edited April 2018 Posts: 464
    It would be nice if this young MI6 agent got her own spinoff show while at the same time the bond franchise gets completely rebooted with the 7th james bond I trust the Reddit user is telling the truth since he's been so spot on lately
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    There is also a role of a young female MI6 agent who Bond is said to mentor. This role may even be informally cast already.

I've been waiting for days for this to be debunked as an April fool but it doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

This sounds absolutely dire. I mean we've already got the Scooby gang back at MI6 so now why not Short Round (with an inevitable Netflix spinoff for Shorty) accompanying Bond in the field? F**king dismal. Is that really Boyle's 'big idea'? As most of you know I'm not a religious man but I'm actually considering praying that this isn't true.

I think I see what they're doing here - the criticism of SP stung so they are doing their level best to make brothergate look like Fleming and Maibaum at their peak to punish us for slagging them off.

I hope the individual Bond mentors ends up getting killed. I don't want to see Bond passing the torch. Snuff it out.
    Gettler wrote: »
    I hope the individual Bond mentors ends up getting killed. I don't want to see Bond passing the torch. Snuff it out.
    Not a chance mate. She's a woman see so they're either going to dust off the Jinx script or we're getting an expanded universe.

And you just know she's going to save the day and kill the main villain when Bond is cornered.

I guess there's no need to panic unduly yet as it's all just rumour.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,727
    Gettler wrote: »

Hopefully the character is killed before he/she can appear in the script.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,162
    TR007 wrote: »

Aaarrrghhhh!!! Dammed be the soul of everyone who spends his money on a ticket of something like that. You really can't imagine how shocking it is for me to realize, that there are people who use the word 'interesting' in context of such ideas.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I feel like it debunked itself, because surely the higher-ups aren't saying that this is Boyle's gold idea. If that's what they see as crazy and unique, then I don't know what to say.