No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I’ll take it with a pinch of salt, but if true... if true... why is there a “personal connection”, again? Do films today have to force a personal connection between the hero and the villain to make it interesting? It’s beyond me, to be honest.

Of course, this said reddit user could very well be reading this thread and borrowing ideas from here as much as possible to gain attention. You never know.

What is with all the hysteria that comes around the word "personal"? Every great story needs personal connections. You don't have a great story without coincidences.

What Bond fans are tired of are personal stories, something that puts Bond's personal life front-in-center of the story, rather than the story itself.

Personally I like the ideas presented, if I wanted to see a run-of-the-mill Bond film I'd just watch Connery or Moore.
    I disagree. There are a lot of great stories that never are personal. There was a time when the stories didn’t have to be personal and tell the typical “good vs evil” narrative. It’s almost in every novel, every film, every pulp fiction.

Heck, most of the Fleming novels themselves are Bond going in to the mission without knowing the villain, save for what gets personal in the way for Drax in Moonraker when Bond beats him in a game of cards (Bridge), Goldfinger similarly, and later Blofeld when he foils SPECTRE’s operations twice, so Blofeld makes it personal and Bond accepts the war. They weren’t brothers, step brothers, childhood archenemies, bullies from school holding grudges or whatever.

But, if you meant with the “personal” thing as in the mission becomes personal for both Bond and the antagonist later on as they fight each other, that I’m not against. That kind of “personal” also played in both Connery and Moore films. Just look at the tension rising between Bond and Dr. No, later Goldfinger, and Scaramanga afterwards, and so on.

The one idea I like however is Bond mentoring a young agent. I just hope they don’t go down the route of the awful Mission: Impossible III, where the protege gets killed, Bond sets out for revenge. No thanks.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Everyone can discard "personal" rage when Craig leaves. Just one more film. You guys hang in there.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I’ll take it with a pinch of salt, but if true... if true... why is there a “personal connection”, again? Do films today have to force a personal connection between the hero and the villain to make it interesting? It’s beyond me, to be honest.

Of course, this said reddit user could very well be reading this thread and borrowing ideas from here as much as possible to gain attention. You never know.

What is with all the hysteria that comes around the word "personal"? Every great story needs personal connections. You don't have a great story without coincidences.

What Bond fans are tired of are personal stories, something that puts Bond's personal life front-in-center of the story, rather than the story itself.

Personally I like the ideas presented, if I wanted to see a run-of-the-mill Bond film I'd just watch Connery or Moore.
    But, if you meant with the “personal” thing as in the mission becomes personal for both Bond and the antagonist later on as they fight each other, that I’m not against. That kind of “personal” also played in both Connery and Moore films. Just look at the tension rising between Bond and Dr. No, later Goldfinger, and Scaramanga afterwards, and so on.
    Agreed. The Reddit post seems to suggest it's the other kind of "personal", though. Bond and the villain having some previous history. I hope it isn't, though if the Reddit story is accurate, the connection between them is probably romantic, which is more fresh than former MI6 agents and infinitely better than stepbrothers.

At any rate, there is no reason for the Craig era to be so relentlessly "personal" in that way. I mean, I suppose it's fine from time to time but not for every film. It's also not the kind of thing that should characterize a single era.

I'm fascinated by the fact plenty of us feel this way around these parts, yet the people making the films now appear to be so reluctant about taking a different approach.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This just dropped:
    JRFybZFl.png

More details;
    www.007.com/announcement-B25-final-Bond-film
    Classic April Fools.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This just dropped:
    JRFybZFl.png

More details;
    Haha, nice.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 565
    Very funny @BMW_with_missiles

It was too obvious I’m afraid. Though the link did make me laugh because it’s a classic.
    How about Angelina Jolie as the villain?

angelina-jolie.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Lily James for the spy

lily-james.png?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
    You know, I kind of like these choices.

This just dropped:
    JRFybZFl.png

More details;
    I love pranks when they take me to that awesome song.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    How about Angelina Jolie as the villain?

angelina-jolie.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Lily James for the spy

lily-james.png?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
    You know, I kind of like these choices.

This just dropped:
    JRFybZFl.png

More details;
    I love pranks when they take me to that awesome song.
    Both are great! Love the casting choices, love the joke!
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I would welcome a female villain - that part of those rumours sounds good. But one with a personal angle again ... I am curious who that should be? Hannes Oberhauser‘s wife?

I still hope the „movie gold“ they were talking about is just that....
    Bond's old nanny is the villain. In fact, she is the author of all of Bond's pain. Oberhauser was but a string pulled by her.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Female villain? Bond’s stepsister perhaps, Blofeld’s twin!
    This just dropped:
    JRFybZFl.png

More details;

The one particularly interesting thing about this is that Bond 25 could be the last EON Bond film at least, if the rumors are true about that. It might be a good thing though given how long it takes for the films to come out these days. Perhaps in someone else’s hands we’d get one every 2-3 years again.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 850
    Well, one thing is sure, I will not be the last Bond film cause I just saw this :

McClory announce Warhead 2021

We throught, that even dead, Kevin McClory will continue to want to make a Bond movie ? Patrick McClory, son of Kevin, have talk to the Irish Examiner yesterday :

"During his lifetime, my father had always wanted to create the biggest James Bond movie. He had begun this great project with the actual author of the novels of the secret agent, Ian Fleming, and managed to do it with the movie Thunderball. Some time ago, I had the chance to be able to talk again with my father during a Spiritism session and his spirit told me, among other things: "junior, you have to finish what I have started", talking about Bond.

It was a revelation and I found the idea great! For reasons of rights it will be again a remake of Thunderball, the agreements signed between us and MGM/Danjaq in 2013 gave them the rights to adapt the novel while allowing us to keep ours, so we both have the right to adapt this particular novel. A script is currently in development and our lawyers are working on the legal issues for a release date that we estimate to be 2021. Although he has retired from acting for several years, Sean Connery [87 years old] will come back to this film, as a tribute to my father with whom he was very close until the end. We are thinking of shooting a large part of our Warhead 2021 here in Ireland, New York and Australia with a lot of underwater shooting, and a good amount of it will be done at the Great Barrier Reef.

Warhead 2021 should also allow us to launch our own cinematic 007 universe, featuring films around key characters from Thunderball and exploring their origins, such as Blofeld, Felix Leiter, Moneypenny, or Nigel Small-Fawcett. We don’t think we’re competing with EON Productions because obviously they don’t want to do films about any characters other than Bond, but again our lawyers are still working on the legal issues. My father at least loves the idea and gave me valuable advice from where he belongs now. In fact we have already talked with Alden Ehrenreich about accepting a role in one of these films, but at this stage, it’s not in our interest to say more about it".

http://www.commander007.net/2018/04/mcclory-annonce-warhead-2021-sean-connery/

Warhead-2021.png

The video teaser : https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gr9z9
    Now that’s effort ;)
    Oddly enough, back in 2009, there was an effort by one of McClory's people to make another adaptation of the Thunderball story called Blofeld and it was set to be produced in Australia. That didn't materialize however. I posted the details on this forums sometime ago.
    Still curious if any non-EON Bond stuff will materialize because Fleming‘s works partially entered the public domain in some areas of the world.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,730
    Breaking news:
    The next bond actor will be a white man

(April fools?)
    Breaking news:
    The next bond actor will be a white man
    Come on man, it's April Fools', do you really think anybody's going to believe that?!
    edited April 2018 Posts: 732
    That sounds like it will offend alot of people. Ya can‘t be serious!
    He is serious. And don't call him Shirley... Bassey.
    Oddly enough, back in 2009, there was an effort by one of McClory's people to make another adaptation of the Thunderball story called Blofeld and it was set to be produced in Australia. That didn't materialize however. I posted the details on this forums sometime ago.

Who was to play Bond?

talos7 wrote: »
    Who was to play Bond?
    That didn't say. I don't think it got past that announcement.

Found my post. Here's the link to my comment:
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/774351/#Comment_774351
    Not that he would have done it, but Dalton
    could have still pulled it off.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well, one thing is sure, I will not be the last Bond film cause I just saw this :

We throught, that even dead, Kevin McClory will continue to want to make a Bond movie ? Patrick McClory, son of Kevin, have talk to the Irish Examiner yesterday :

"During his lifetime, my father had always wanted to create the biggest James Bond movie. He had begun this great project with the actual author of the novels of the secret agent, Ian Fleming, and managed to do it with the movie Thunderball. Some time ago, I had the chance to be able to talk again with my father during a Spiritism session and his spirit told me, among other things: "junior, you have to finish what I have started", talking about Bond.

It was a revelation and I found the idea great! For reasons of rights it will be again a remake of Thunderball, the agreements signed between us and MGM/Danjaq in 2013 gave them the rights to adapt the novel while allowing us to keep ours, so we both have the right to adapt this particular novel. A script is currently in development and our lawyers are working on the legal issues for a release date that we estimate to be 2021. Although he has retired from acting for several years, Sean Connery [87 years old] will come back to this film, as a tribute to my father with whom he was very close until the end. We are thinking of shooting a large part of our Warhead 2021 here in Ireland, New York and Australia with a lot of underwater shooting, and a good amount of it will be done at the Great Barrier Reef.

Warhead 2021 should also allow us to launch our own cinematic 007 universe, featuring films around key characters from Thunderball and exploring their origins, such as Blofeld, Felix Leiter, Moneypenny, or Nigel Small-Fawcett. We don’t think we’re competing with EON Productions because obviously they don’t want to do films about any characters other than Bond, but again our lawyers are still working on the legal issues. My father at least loves the idea and gave me valuable advice from where he belongs now. In fact we have already talked with Alden Ehrenreich about accepting a role in one of these films, but at this stage, it’s not in our interest to say more about it".

Warhead-2021.png

Not even death could stop Mclory's greed. Wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be true.

Lily James would look too young next to Craig / Craig would look to old next to Lily James.
    I'm still angry that Waltz isn't back. The story feels incomplete without Bond killing him. Actually, it is weird the no actor has played Blofeld twice. I thought for once they'd finally do it with Waltz. Sigh. :/
    SPECTRE has been destroyed and the baddie is captured. The story is complete.
    I'm still angry that Waltz isn't back. The story feels incomplete without Bond killing him. Actually, it is weird the no actor has played Blofeld twice. I thought for once they'd finally do it with Waltz. Sigh. :/
    SPECTRE has been destroyed and the baddie is captured. The story is complete.

Bond also retired and drove off into the sunset yet here we are. I'm sure I'll enjoy Bond 25, but I do think that if they wanted to do another Craig film they should have bought Blofeld back. I was fine with SP as an ending to be honest. It seemed to bring everything full circle.

Warhead-2021.png

Not even death could stop Mclory's greed. Wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be true.

Lily James would look too young next to Craig / Craig would look to old next to Lily James.

It's your opinion but it's nonsense. I'm sick of this attitude about a man over or a certain age looking too old to be with a woman of a certain age. Ridiculous. If the girl is over 18 she can date and be with whoever she wants. Why does such a thing offend you?
    While it’s true that a woman over 18 can date whomever she pleases, in the eyes of most, casting an actress who is significantly younger, 15yrs+, appears awkward for numerous reasons; ignoring this is naive.