No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I demange proof.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,504
    I have a very strong feeling that this story will not include Blofeld... I wouldn't be surprised at all if Demange, or some edgy filmmaker got the job, after EoN seemingly has lost out on the Villeneuve sweepstakes (although this Reddit link is four months old, and Villeneuve was very much chatting back and forth with EoN, so...??).

Perhaps Demange knocked some socks off in his meeting; but when Denis came sniffing, or was being sniffed (that was for @Thunderfinger), Demange was asked to stand to the wings-- and why wouldn't he? Bond would be a game-changer for him.

Now that it is at least appearing that Villeneuve is out of the picture, Demange can begin to step back in, sculpting the film he pitched to them.

Or maybe I'm just full of Putin...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I demange proof.

Denis none.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is indeed old news. I recall reading about it either here or somewhere else. That same user's latest view is that Nolan has a draft percolating which is different and may or may not include Craig.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think Nolan comes in with a new actor without a doubt. His "idea", whatever it may be, will not come from the DNA of this timeline.-- no way. Nolan is a world-builder. He will start from scratch.

At the same time, my gut tells me, that the earliest Nolan gets in, is B26. There is no way that Barbara cuts Craig. Distributor's wishes or not-- she fought for this guy, against much protest (including those within her own family). Whether anyone agrees or disagrees: she loves working with Craig (even co-producing his Othello).

I will stake my three, bratty, teenage kids on this: Babs does not stab DC in the back. He's in for 25.

And if he's in, Villeneuve, for now, is apparently out, Nolan's for a new actor and a re-birth, I think we go full circle back to an action-light, edgy, dramatic director that can send DC off in a unique way.

I saw this all in my crystal ball. I swear...

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That's precisely what is going to happen.
    That's Plan A and the option we've been discussing most here. There appears (unconfirmed) to be a Plan B as well. Why I'm not sure. I just hope they meet the deadline and close this story out by 2019 so we can look forward to what comes next.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Outside of locking which director (safe to say not Nolan, for now), and a wobbly feeling that Denis is out... I've not heard of any real Plan B.

But, as a secret, I can tell you this... I got a PM, by a certain someone, that Aidan Turner will probably be Bond in 25... with... Martin Campbell directing.
    Yes, I've read about your PMs. I wouldn't pay too much attention to them.

Villeneuve is out. Quite sure of it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree Denis seems quite committed and genuine-- Dune is his main project.

But, @bondjames ... are you absolutely certain that I'm receiving false information via the PMs I secretly receive late at night? Aidan Turner-- with his flowing locks and empty gaze (similar to one, Ben Affleck), is not Bond in 25?? And Campbell is not directing??

As Bannon called on Trump Jr... I'm almost ready to scream at the mods: Treason... Treeeeeson!

• peterpeter Toronto
    https://www.imgpic.org/pic/26224

edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @peter, I leave it to you to determine which of the PMs you're receiving are valid and which are bunk. You have been privately in contact with some important people by your own admission, and apparently some dreamers too.

I just hope that when everything is finally announced and confirmed that none of us have to eat crow. I certainly will have to if it's Nolan directing Craig, because I went on the record stating I don't think that will be a reality, nor would I want it to be.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames I agree with you and will also eat crow (feet that is, crow feet... yum), if Nolan directs Craig.

In all seriousness, yes, it could happen though, like anything. However, Nolan is a world builder and I can't see him entering this time line-- out of common sense, I believe this. Like you, I ask, why would he?

Correcting you for one second: I have never said I have been privately in contact with important people (since I, myself, am not that important. At all)-- @ColonelSun would never find himself important, and never did I imply that he is (other than I know he did work on LTK, and I know that he has worked with people from EoN, and with other fun names on his own films as well).

However, the one dreamer you may be referring to, may have the key:

Turner + Campbell (or Nolan, depending on the day)= B25

I have a hard time believing Craig will be out until after Bond 25. They seemed set on keeping him around for one more. I don’t think a new actor comes until 26.
    Thanks for the clarification @peter. I agree that absolutely none of us here are important, whether we work in the film industry, are buddies with Craig or anybody else famous for that matter.

You are all equal to me at least, and every member's opinions here will be given due respect by me.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    and, with the field of "candidates" we have now... is that such a bad thing, @FoxRox? Honestly, we're at an all-time low; we're lower than James Brolin on a good day.

Craig has suddenly worn himself thin with a vocal minority. And that's fine.

I'm of the opinion that DC is a great actor, a solid Number Two to King Connery (and that's more to do with the fact that the early to mid 60s had Fleming, Maibaum, Young (mostly), Connery and the era itself-- my Dog, that's Hall of Fame status right there).

In the modern era, Craig shows up, warts and all. From all reports, he read CR, the novel, a few times, before accepting the role (after declining); other reports indicate he and Mendes (not my favourite Bond director (although I do hold SF in high esteem), scoured Fleming to help build the SF world.

He committed to his version, his interpretation of 007, as seriously as any actor would tackle Hamlet; he brought his version. If that's not your cup of tea-- shrug... But the long-game is: he connected with the majority of filmgoers (with hiccups in SP). People like him as Bond.

If I lie, lets consider this: when he was cast, the world wanted to decapitate the blond, ugly Bond. They roared. I remember reading DC would be canned after his first film.

After CR was released, we barely hear a whisper of changing the actor (outside of this forum; and the press who want a female Bond, or a TG Bond, or whatever; the public, that pay for tickets, ain't begging for change)

Personally, I love what he's done (with hiccups in SP); I'm sorry that some detest it: the past decade must've been a shitty time for you.
    I agree Craig is second only to Connery. SP can be disappointing, but it has its moments, while QOS is underrated and CR and SF are two of the series’ best. I’d like to see him get one more go.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He will get that one more go @FoxRox ... I recently watched SP, and, that third act is a killer... prior to that, in my opinion, it's got some wonderful scenes... Great look, costume (cut out the pitiful execution of the Nine Eyes scenes, please (I like the idea, I hate the presentation)), and follow Bond's investigation... it ain't perfect, but, to me, it's a lovely mess.

No doubt there are problems.... but it's not, it really is not DAD. It's not.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TripAces wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I keep seeing more articles about it. Quite worrying. PC culture has a way of ruining many good things.

@FoxRox The character is the character. If anything, a black actor might get the part, eventually. Who knows. But that's it.

IMHO, the discussion about a female Bond isn't a serious one. It's more an exercise in"what if," which can be fun, but it's not realistic. It's more "alternate universe" stuff.

I wrote a column a few months back in which I asked, "Could an American play James Bond?" which is a little more realistic, but it still was not a serious question. It's an exercise, a springboard for discussing which American actors have that Bond thing going. (I believe Chris Pine was my top choice.)

In any case, I enjoy the female Bond discussion, as an exercise and as a cultural study. The fact that so many people are asking the question is terrific, because it really demonstrates the social and cultural significance of james Bond. Notice, they weren't asking, "Could there be a female Jason Bourne?"

Barbara Broccoli was very smart in how she responded to the question of a female Bond because she wanted to keep that discussion going. It's good for the franchise.

Gillian Anderson does a good British accent. She'd be a good 008.
  • I suspect some will be pushing the panic button if there's no real news by March 31.
    I’d be concerned if we don’t hear anything by then. Hopefully director at least, and confirmation of a finished script.
    I'm fine with no news. It will get here when it does and the longer it drags the more time MGM has to sort things out on the corporate side.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I think we'll get an AVTAK sort of thing with a Bond eyeing some babes half his age ;)

Has EoN ever failed with a Bond before? If at all then LTK probably came closest to that and even that one was a financial success.

So lighten up people. Craig will get a fun last Bond, even if it's another mediocre one who cares. He has two of the best Bond films in his portfolio.
    The last actor that could claim that is probably Sean Connery.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Any actress cast should be over 35.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm ok with a younger gal, as long as she can act the part. Age is but a number.

Rebecca Ferguson was 31 when she did MI:5 RN but she was quite impressive working with Cruise who was 53.
  • //Has EoN ever failed with a Bond before? If at all then LTK probably came closest to that and even that one was a financial success.//

Essentially, but the numbers weren't good.

Licence to Kill global decline vs. The Living Daylights: 18 percent

LTK U.S. decline vs. The Living Daylights: 32 percent decline.

U.S. only: LTK opened No. 4 its opening weekend, behind Lethal Weapon 2 (second weekend), Batman (4th weekend), Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (4th weekend).
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m scared Bond 25 could be our last traditional Bond with the real James Bond character.

Me too. Then again, there are times when I feel that was DAD.

Me too. I feel that was TLD.
    Really don’t understand why EON seem to have such issues finding appropriate directors.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Why are people so sure it is down to Yawn Blancmange and David McKenzie now? I don t know their work, so have no opinion about them.
    Why are people so sure it is down to Yawn Blancmange and David McKenzie now? I don t know their work, so have no opinion about them.

Because Villeneuve said in so many BR2049 interviews that he can't do B25 because of Dune, and they were the other two names in contention per trade reports.