No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Spectre was a clear demonstration Mendes saw his own burnout. It'd be radically stupid to bring him back when the man already told the story he wanted to tell two films ago. Time to subvert the directions not staying in the same checkpoint.
    Agreed.
    bondjames wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    Don't they start preproduction in the late spring? That was my understanding of the usual way things play out. I would imagine that they couldn't really do that without having a director in place, because a reputable one would probably want some input into the process, and of course the script. Moreover, the distributor has input into costs and approach, no? So things need to fall into place in the next 3 months at most to meet the release date. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup.

I have a feeling (and have been hearing rumbles) that a director and distributor are already in place, they just haven't announced it yet, at least formally anyway.
    That would make the most sense. So that would imply they are waiting on something else prior to announcing. Curious to know what that could be.

EDIT: Unless is purely a formality and the wait is on account of the technicalities of deal finalization.

if I had to guess, international distributor. Assuming Annapurna indeed, as reported, have US/Canada, and WB are 100% out given the Wonder Woman 2 release date placement, I wonder who it'd go to. I can see it going to Sony out of pure convenience's sake, Fox might be too problematic with 2018/19 being the prime time that things are consolidated in regards to Disney's acquisition. Which leaves Universal.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Don't they start preproduction in the late spring? That was my understanding of the usual way things play out. I would imagine that they couldn't really do that without having a director in place, because a reputable one would probably want some input into the process, and of course the script. Moreover, the distributor has input into costs and approach, no? So things need to fall into place in the next 3 months at most to meet the release date. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup.

I have a feeling (and have been hearing rumbles) that a director and distributor are already in place, they just haven't announced it yet, at least formally anyway.
    That would make the most sense. So that would imply they are waiting on something else prior to announcing. Curious to know what that could be.

EDIT: Unless is purely a formality and the wait is on account of the technicalities of deal finalization.

if I had to guess, international distributor. Assuming Annapurna indeed, as reported, have US/Canada, and WB are 100% out given the Wonder Woman 2 release date placement, I wonder who it'd go to. I can see it going to Sony out of pure convenience's sake, Fox might be too problematic with 2018/19 being the prime time that things are consolidated in regards to Disney's acquisition. Which leaves Universal.
    Yes, I don't think Fox or Warner can make a deal at present due to merger/acquisition discussions. So it is probably Sony or Universal. I'm leaning Sony because of Craig, but we may get a surprise yet.

Yup.

Yes, I don't think Fox or Warner can make a deal at present due to merger/acquisition discussions. So it is probably Sony or Universal. I'm leaning Sony because of Craig, but we may get a surprise yet.

Sony previously partnered with Annapurna on Professor Marston & The Wonder Woman - exact same scenario as B25 would be, domestic with AP, overseas with Sony.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Is the Fox acquisition by Disney finalized?
    No, these deals take a lot of time to be pulled together and no major transactions or arrangements can take place in the meanwhile. If it's Fox that means Bond will be under Disney, and I don't see them wanting it at the moment.

Disney have announced their intention to buy but it will take time to actually happen transaction wise and of course for the assets to be consolidated. I think by the time B25 is out it will be all done.
    I heard the IRS would interfere and disrupt all these plans if it means too much control in the business by Disney. I heard people talking about things like that, even if I don't understand too much regarding this line of discussions and work.
    I heard the IRS would interfere and disrupt all these plans if it means too much control in the business by Disney. I heard people talking about things like that, even if I don't understand too much regarding this line of discussions and work.
    @ClarkDevlin, it's not the IRS but rather the Justice Dept. There are possible anti-trust issues and they will look at it from the consumer's point of view. I have a feeling it will go through because Disney is only picking up specific assets. There was more of a question mark over a possible Comcast purchase of Fox's assets.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    disney-clipart-sad-2.gif
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I really hope no one expected news to drop the minute the calendar turned to 2018...

At this rate, we won’t have anything concrete until March the earliest, maybe even April/May.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I really hope no one expected news to drop the minute the calendar turned to 2018...

At this rate, we won’t have anything concrete until March the earliest, maybe even April/May.

I think a lot of people expected that, and I've no clue why. Give it a few months.
    It's because of Babs. Folks were reading into her comments about hopefully having some news for us in the New Year. Spring is more likely, agreed.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 2,115
    With Skyfall, it was announced in January 2011 that the project was back on (it had been suspended months earlier). Filming began in November 2011.

Given how long the distributor issue has been in the works and how long they've had to select a director, it's not unreasonable to think something *might* happen this month. But, obviously, it's not a cinch, either.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Given how long the distributor issue has been in the works and how long they've had to select a director, it's not unreasonable to think something *might* happen this month. .

Like new legal issues?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    There will be significant financial and ownership changes at MGM by the time B26 rolls around (I'm almost 100% sure of that) so the future beyond the next film is quite open to change.

You must give me the name of your oculist.

Bond is the golden goose and MGM knows it. They won't give it up willingly.

echo wrote: »
    There will be significant financial and ownership changes at MGM by the time B26 rolls around (I'm almost 100% sure of that) so the future beyond the next film is quite open to change.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I'm not discussing MGM selling Bond (although that is entirely possible because they have no emotional connection to the franchise whatsoever - it will be purely a financial transaction for them if it happens, and will most likely be as part of a larger disposition of assets for strategic purposes). I was referring to MGM itself being gobbled up or spun off, which means new owners and new management with new priorities.

That is very likely before B26 is released. They tried to sell last year and right now it is owned by hedge funds.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I'm not discussing MGM selling Bond (although that is entirely possible because they have no emotional connection to the franchise whatsoever - it will be purely a financial transaction for them if it happens, and will most likely be as part of a larger disposition of assets for strategic purposes). I was referring to MGM itself being gobbled up or spun off, which means new owners and new management with new priorities.

That is very likely before B26 is released. They tried to sell last year and right now it is owned by hedge funds.

Exactly. The hedge funds that own MGM are looking to "flip" their investment at a maximum profit.
    I’m scared Bond 25 could be our last traditional Bond with the real James Bond character.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m scared Bond 25 could be our last traditional Bond with the real James Bond character.

Me too. Then again, there are times when I feel that was DAD.

I meant Bond being a straight white guy.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Ahh, I thought you were referring to tone or use of traditional, classic Bond elements. Though all those elements would certainly be out the window if they made Bond some PC-culture compliant bastardization of himself.
    I keep seeing more articles about it. Quite worrying. PC culture has a way of ruining many good things.
    The PC SJW cultists need to understand this: If Bond isn’t a chauvinist, womanizer, somewhat sexist and common enemy killing masculine hero who stands out as the man in the room and shows them all who’s the boss, then that isn’t James Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I wouldn't worry about Bond being anything other than a straight white male. EoN aren't stupid to pander THAT much.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    The PC SJW cultists need to understand this: If Bond isn’t a chauvinist, womanizer, somewhat sexist and common enemy killing masculine hero who stands out as the man in the room and shows them all who’s the boss, then that isn’t James Bond.

And it would not make any money, thats the most important aspect.
    I am not saying there could NEVER be a Black Bond, but what would be the point? You think anyone at EoN worries about 'pleasing the SJW crowd'? Are they buying the James Bond Boxsets and Merchandise? Thought so.

There will never be a female Bond, of that i am sure.
    It would completely undermine the appeal of the Character, and instantly kill off 90% of the fanbase, Male AND Female. Only thing that remains after that are casual movie goers. Bond is all about Masculinity, unlike Dr. Who.

As long as EoN understands that, and so far i am pretty sure they do better than anybody else, we are save.

Ahh, I thought you were referring to tone or use of traditional, classic Bond elements. Though all those elements would certainly be out the window if they made Bond some PC-culture compliant bastardization of himself.
    Bond will most likely remain a straight white male for the forseeable future, thankfully. It's fashionable these days for the media to ponder alternatives using Bond as the whipping boy, but it's only idle chatter. If EON would get these films out more often and provide more regular updates on status I don't think we'd be hearing so much of this nonsense either. Craig has been in this role for a very long time and it's inevitable that discussion about a potential successor will be everywhere (even with him agreeing to come back for one more), and the far fetched rumours will be par for the course. Once he's out you won't hear these rumours for a while because everyone will bask in the glow of the new man for a few films.
    Precisely. Where I have an immediate concern is B25. There has been a concerted effort by Hollywood in the past year to create female centric narratives, with women as the centrepiece and men as supporting characters, bad guys or buffoons. This has even infected the last Star Wars film. In fact, I've seen more films like this than the other way round this year. The one major blockbuster that did it the traditional way (BR 2049) was lambasted by the SJW crowd. This is all of course on account of politics, and Hollywood's transparent attempt to use its bullhorn to make a statement. It's all a bit too obvious for this viewer.

So my concern is what will EON do to play into this with B25 (assuming the pendulum hasn't swung the other way again - which I sincerely hope it does) given that they've killed off Dench M (retrospectively a mistake imho)? I think it's likely that we see a female 'equal' (either from another spy agency) or a complex female villain (watch them make her sympathetic and her motives understandable if they go this route) in B25. Even if they don't do this, I'm reasonably sure we'll see far less of the sleeping around in the next one, unless it's initiated by the woman.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,554
    I keep seeing more articles about it. Quite worrying. PC culture has a way of ruining many good things.

@FoxRox The character is the character. If anything, a black actor might get the part, eventually. Who knows. But that's it.

IMHO, the discussion about a female Bond isn't a serious one. It's more an exercise in"what if," which can be fun, but it's not realistic. It's more "alternate universe" stuff.

I wrote a column a few months back in which I asked, "Could an American play James Bond?" which is a little more realistic, but it still was not a serious question. It's an exercise, a springboard for discussing which American actors have that Bond thing going. (I believe Chris Pine was my top choice.)

In any case, I enjoy the female Bond discussion, as an exercise and as a cultural study. The fact that so many people are asking the question is terrific, because it really demonstrates the social and cultural significance of james Bond. Notice, they weren't asking, "Could there be a female Jason Bourne?"

Barbara Broccoli was very smart in how she responded to the question of a female Bond because she wanted to keep that discussion going. It's good for the franchise.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    She gave well thought out, PC response that in no way indicates that the hypothetical is being considered.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    She gave well thought out, PC response that in no way indicates that the hypothetical is being considered.
    Agreed. In that regard we truly have no reason to be concerned as long as Bond is under her control. I don't expect that to change for several years.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised at all if principle photography commences earlier for B25. SPECTRE's post-production schedule was a disaster (a proccess cut short a month or more due to the Purvis/Wade rewrites). It is sensible that they would want to spread the proccess out to prevent things from being as hectic this time around.