No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Nolan isn't perfect but I hope he directs over villenueve. I'm surprised Barbara is trying to get him, he is wrong for bond imo.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Nolan isn't perfect but I hope he directs over villenueve. I'm surprised Barbara is trying to get him, he is wrong for bond imo.
    He fits in with what Craig has been doing with Bond.

If he gets it after Craig is gone, I'm reasonably sure he will deliver something quite different from what he would do with Craig. Having said that, I'm not sure if he will be such a front runner post-Craig.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 10,588
    bondjames wrote: »

If he gets it after Craig is gone, I'm reasonably sure he will deliver something quite different from what he would do with Craig. Having said that, I'm not sure if he will be such a front runner post-Craig.
    I'd imagine they'd be going for a more breezy-approach post-Craig, which I can't see Villeneuve being a good fit for.

I also don't understand why all the film sites are reporting he's "ruled it out" when he has yet to give a conclusive answer on the matter. At this point I'd be surprised if he ends up doing it, although it's still possible (Dune came to him first but likely won't get made until several years after B25).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,087

I hope Villeneuve takes the bullet of Bond 25 so Nolan can come in and do what he wants with a reboot. I can't see why any director worth his salt would want Bond 25, it's a complete clusterfudge of continuity and Craig likely will be combative on set again.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »

I'd imagine they'd be going for a more breezy-approach post-Craig, which I can't see Villeneuve being a good fit for.

I also don't understand why all the film sites are reporting he's "ruled it out" when he has yet to give a conclusive answer on the matter. At this point I'd be surprised if he ends up doing it, although it's still possible (Dune came to him first but likely won't get made until several years after B25).
    It's certainly possible that he's still in contention, but I'm surprised he's been so candid about it. Normally when someone talks about a future Bond film as openly as he's done recently, it means they're not in the game (although he may very well be for the one after that).

Yes, I agree that a more breezy approach is what's likely post-Craig. I think Villeneueve could deliver that though. He's quite versatile. His earlier films were 'gritty' and the later ones (Arrival and BR2049) have been more 'fantasy'. I can see both Nolan and he (given their respective ages and favourites) giving us something more grand and light in comparison to what we've gotten lately, should either of them get it post-Craig.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I hope Villeneuve takes the bullet of Bond 25 so Nolan can come in and do what he wants with a reboot. I can't see why any director worth his salt would want Bond 25, it's a complete clusterfudge of continuity and Craig likely will be combative on set again.

Explain and support this?
    TripAces wrote: »

Explain and support this?

As per what always happens. This is news to you?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's news to me as well.
    How many times has production been interrupted down to Craig's stubbornness. How many times do we hear about him "not gelling" with his directors, cast etc.

Not even mentioning his delicate handling of the press (which goes without saying).
    I can't comment on his behind the scenes behaviour, but I'm reasonably certain he will make far less (if any) controversial remarks between now and B25. He's learned his lesson and recent comments suggest he is sensitive to how he has been portrayed in the media. I wonder if it has impacted the roles he has been offered in Hollywood actually.
    I can't comment on his behind the scenes behaviour, but I'm reasonably certain he will make far less (if any) controversial remarks between now and B25. He's learned his lesson and recent comments suggest he is sensitive to how he has been portrayed in the media. I wonder if it has impacted the roles he has been offered in Hollywood actually.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, I'm afraid.
    How many times has production been interrupted down to Craig's stubbornness. How many times do we hear about him "not gelling" with his directors, cast etc.

Not even mentioning his delicate handling of the press (which goes without saying).
    I'm sorry, but this is pretty laughable. I'll give you the press thing, as Craig's dry sense of humour is misunderstood by the media's over-sensitive nature. His wrist-slitting comments we're arguably irresponsible, despite being an obvious joke from the get go.

However, your assumptions about instances of production being delayed due to Craig's "stubbornness" seem like mere assumptions to me based on a certain bias. Regarding him "not gelling well" with directors, what exactly are you basing this on? The only case coming to mind is some alleged bickering taking place between Craig and Mendes during SP, which much like the wrist-slashing comments, has been blown out of proportion by the media (not to mention Craig saying he would gladly work with the man again "tomorrow."

I owe nothing to Craig. He's a fantastic Bond IMO, but I'm not about showing some kind of hyperbolic allegiance to him like many of Craig's nay-sayers suggest Craig fans to show (I'm not saying you're suggesting this, but I've seen many make this ridiculous claim). I see things objectively but to me it seems like you're cherry-picking here, mate.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    There have been no reports of on set misbehaviour re: DC.

As far as ppl who have worked with him, we had one reader on this forum who worked with EoN and several of his colleagues still do; plus he himself has worked with ppl who have worked with Craig— all reports is that he is a professional. Whatever you think of his Bond, he comes to work.

@Mendes4Lyfe is projecting again.
    peter wrote: »
    There have been no reports of on set misbehaviour re: DC.

As far as ppl who have worked with him, we had one reader on this forum who worked with EoN and several of his colleagues still do; plus he himself has worked with ppl who have worked with Craig— all reports is that he is a professional. Whatever you think of his Bond, he comes to work.

@Mendes4Lyfe is projecting again.
    He feels Craig has overstayed his welcome. That's a perfectly sound opinion, which many seem to share on here. But it becomes pretty difficult hear them out when they start to justify it with bold implications based on no concrete evidence.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But what if he is right? Can we risk Craig snapping and maybe killing the director and his co-stars next time?
    But what if he is right? Can we risk Craig snapping and maybe killing the director and his co-stars next time?
    I think other parties are safe, but if his prior comments are to be taken literally, it's the capacity for self harm that one should possibly be concerned about..
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I’ve only ever heard praise and positivity for working with Craig on not just the Bond movies, but any movie for that matter. Never heard of him butting heads with cast/crew.

News to me as well.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

He has always been odd with the press. But there is no evidence that he has ever been issue on set -- in fact, the evidence suggests just the opposite.
    I feel, such remarks are not worth being answered to. Even less so, when they come from Mendes.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    TripAces wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I keep seeing more articles about it. Quite worrying. PC culture has a way of ruining many good things.

@FoxRox The character is the character. If anything, a black actor might get the part, eventually. Who knows. But that's it.

IMHO, the discussion about a female Bond isn't a serious one. It's more an exercise in"what if," which can be fun, but it's not realistic. It's more "alternate universe" stuff.

I wrote a column a few months back in which I asked, "Could an American play James Bond?" which is a little more realistic, but it still was not a serious question. It's an exercise, a springboard for discussing which American actors have that Bond thing going. (I believe Chris Pine was my top choice.)

In any case, I enjoy the female Bond discussion, as an exercise and as a cultural study. The fact that so many people are asking the question is terrific, because it really demonstrates the social and cultural significance of james Bond. Notice, they weren't asking, "Could there be a female Jason Bourne?"

Barbara Broccoli was very smart in how she responded to the question of a female Bond because she wanted to keep that discussion going. It's good for the franchise.

This.
    Well early 2018 to me is until the end of March. Surely to goodness we should get something before then?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    My birthday is in March. What a nice present it would be to get some significant news.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    My birthday is in March. What a nice present it would be to get some significant news.
    I predict (and hope) that two major decisions will have been made by then.
  • peterpeter Toronto

That Chris Nolan will now be directing Aidan Turner?

That’s what @Mendes4Lyfe PM’d me at 4 am on New Year’s Day.
    peter wrote: »

That Chris Nolan will now be directing Aidan Turner?

That’s what @Mendes4Lyfe PM’d me at 4 am on New Year’s Day.
    I sincerely hope not.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ha!
    Just read a Reddit post from an insider I dont think was posted here yet, its a few months old

https://reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/6vti3w/new_bond_25_details_revealed_director_hired/

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Yeah, that "story" about Bond working with a "single mother". Yeah, that was quite popular here for a satirical discussion a few months ago.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Yeah, that "story" about Bond working with a "single mother". Yeah, that was quite popular here for a satirical discussion a few months ago.
    I honestly have no recollection of that :)). Such BS.

The Reddit stuff was indeed posted before. Some of it is believable, some of it sounds like complete fabrication.
    He is saying Mendes had the opportunity to come back , and demange has the job.