No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yep! There's that!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    "EON are looking for "glamorous American rising star"; Ilfenesh Hadera being eyed for role.[/b]
    686973270.jpg?w=750&h=420&quality=85&strip=all
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5227434/meghan-markle-shortlisted-bond-girl/

I could buy this...
    I´m open for small bust as I am for large ones (twos), but a lady with small chest shouldn´t have fotos taken that make her look like a transgender.
    Hadera is taller than Craig, so unless she's playing a villain I can't see this happening.
    So I keep reading these articles regarding DV not doing Bond 25 because of the Dune movie which I totally respect. The thing that keeps niggling me is the whole thing of him wanting to work with DC as Bond and allegedly vice versa? So if DV agreed to do Bond 26? Would DC be tempted for a 6th movie? Or would it be another project altogether?
    I ran across a clickbait article on celebs turning 50 this year including Craig. These lines kinda' sum up the mindset.

"..has confirmed he'll return for the sequel "Bond 25" due in theaters in 2019. We're all for a silver fox 007."

I recall jokes about Moore and Connery's ages in the '80s but never recall anybody using silver fox.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The way I read his remarks is he is open to working with DC and he is open to working on Bond in the future. So either or both could happen. As with Nolan, I would much prefer to see Villeneuve reinvent Bond post-DC than work with him on Bond, but let's see what happens. There will be significant financial and ownership changes at MGM by the time B26 rolls around (I'm almost 100% sure of that) so the future beyond the next film is quite open to change.
    For the moment, my question remains... when is the distribution deal reveal due?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For the moment, my question remains... when is the distribution deal reveal due?

Nobody has any idea.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Nobody has any idea.
    We're already three days into 2018 and we have little to no information on a film that's supposed to commence shooting late this year and come out a year after.
    Nobody has any idea.
    We're already three days into 2018 and we have little to no information on a film that's supposed to commence shooting late this year and come out a year after.
    That date can move. From what I can glean it's up in the air still until the distribution deal and director are locked.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I was getting high on excitement and anticipation for both SF and SP. Unfortunately, it's not the same for Bond 25.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nobody has any idea.
    That date can move. From what I can glean it's up in the air still until the distribution deal and director are locked.
    If it moves up to 2020, my OCD won't be causing me a problem any longer. :))
    Remington wrote: »
    I was getting high on excitement and anticipation for both SF and SP. Unfortunately, it's not the same for Bond 25.
    After coming out of the theatre with a huge disappointment in 2012, I haven't been excited for a Bond film for a long time, now. Of course, I still support the franchise and whatnot, but it doesn't feel the same as it used to be in the past, anymore.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Nobody has any idea.

It is getting worrying close to the wire....I imagine that the next film at the latest will begin filming in January 2019. So theroetically, they should annouce a director and studio any day now.

We have been able to scramble together some coherent intel from the morsels we have been provided:

- Annapurna Pictures and MGM will distribute Bond 25 domestically.
    - Warner Bros, Sony and Universal are in the mix to distribute internationally.
    - Denis Villenueve declined the project
    - The choice of director is down to Yann Demange and David Mackenzie
    - Daniel Craig is backand the film will come out in Nov 2019

That's kinda where we are.....The next annoucement will confirm what we know and provide clarification on the outstanding info.

I think the appointment of director is vital. It's at that stage they can bring on their own writer and clean up P&W's draft. Those pair are good for a first draft, but a good director should shape the project to their own tastes.

Bond has gone after some A-list writing talent in recent years with the likes of Paul Haggis, Peter Morgan, John Logan and Jez Butterworth. Regardless of your opinion of their work on Bond, their credentials are bonafide, so I'm curious who will be next.

I quite like the idea of Michael Green - he was behind last year's Logan and Blade Runner 2049. So he ticks the genre boxes and clearly has an artistic flourish. Steven Knight is also a cool name - Peaky Blinders is a great show.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,554
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    So I keep reading these articles regarding DV not doing Bond 25 because of the Dune movie which I totally respect. The thing that keeps niggling me is the whole thing of him wanting to work with DC as Bond and allegedly vice versa? So if DV agreed to do Bond 26? Would DC be tempted for a 6th movie? Or would it be another project altogether?

I'm still hedging that DV is the man and is in the process of negotiating it. Why do I think this?

1. DC wants him and DC tends to get what he wants. His powers of persuasion are extraordinary. He got Mendes TWICE. Plus, he got Bardem to play a Bond villain.

2. Have we not heard enough non-denial denials about Bond participation to be able to detect them? I have. And I can sort of sense when an actor or (in this case) a director is being coy and very calculated in addressing rumors. Notice how DC deftly handled the media questions about Bond 25 prior to the announcement on Colbert. Sure, it is possible that DV is simply giving polite answers to keep a door open to Bond in the future, but I don't think that's the case here; I think he's actually trying to pour some cold water on these rumors and doing so in a way that won't come across as bold-faced lies if/when he is announced.

3. DV must ALSO know that Nolan is waiting in the wings, too, to possibly direct Bond 26 and maybe Bond 27; so if DV is going to do Bond, his real shot is RIGHT NOW, in DC's send off.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Villeneuve has yet to give an actual conclusive answer as to whether or not he's doing it. It certainly seems unlikely at this point, but not enough to rule him out entirely.
    After coming out of the theatre with a huge disappointment in 2012, I haven't been excited for a Bond film for a long time, now. Of course, I still support the franchise and whatnot, but it doesn't feel the same as it used to be in the past, anymore.
    I promise you the enthusiasm will return in droves once they recast.
    I promise you the enthusiasm will return in droves once they recast.
    I hope so, my friend. I hope so.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Nobody has any idea.

Interesting, SF only deepened my love of Bond in the DC era. The six-year hiatus between LTK and GE had really hurt my Bond enthusiasm, and I never got on track during the Brosnan years, didn't even see his four films until after DAD was released on DVD.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Nobody has any idea.

Interesting, SF only deepened my love of Bond in the DC era. The six-year hiatus between LTK and GE had really hurt my Bond enthusiasm, and I never got on track during the Brosnan years, didn't even see his four films until after DAD was released on DVD.
    Different sides of the coin. What can I say?
    Sort of proves my point though. An actor recast can change people's perception, especially for those who aren't so enthused about the current trajectory and approach. EON inevitably modifies things to an extent to accommodate the sensibilities, preferences, approach and style of the actor. Moreover, there's just a new energy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Filming wouldn't even commence until November/December, right? We've still got a little under a year until production begins, no need to fret so early into 2018. The news will come when it comes.
    Give me a Connery/Moore/Brosnan type of a Bond actor with no emotional debacle nor a sappy melodrama with "artistry" over substance, and I'll be greatly satisfied.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Filming wouldn't even commence until November/December, right? We've still got a little under a year until production begins, no need to fret so early into 2018. The news will come when it comes.
    Quite.
    Don't they start preproduction in the late spring? That was my understanding of the usual way things play out. I would imagine that they couldn't really do that without having a director in place, because a reputable one would probably want some input into the process, and of course the script. Moreover, the distributor has input into costs and approach, no? So things need to fall into place in the next 3 months at most to meet the release date. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    jake24 wrote: »
    Villeneuve has yet to give an actual conclusive answer as to whether or not he's doing it. It certainly seems unlikely at this point, but not enough to rule him out entirely.

Same goes for Mendes and Nolan.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,086
    Don't they start preproduction in the late spring? That was my understanding of the usual way things play out. I would imagine that they couldn't really do that without having a director in place, because a reputable one would probably want some input into the process, and of course the script. Moreover, the distributor has input into costs and approach, no? So things need to fall into place in the next 3 months at most to meet the release date. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, correct. They were constructing the house which Craig smashes into with his plane during the snowy part of SP in spring 2014, if my memory serves.

Yes, correct. They were constructing the house which Craig smashes into with his plane during the snowy part of SP in spring 2014, if my memory serves.
    Wasn't it August?

Yup.

I have a feeling (and have been hearing rumbles) that a director and distributor are already in place, they just haven't announced it yet, at least formally anyway.
    jake24 wrote: »

Same goes for Mendes and Nolan.
    No, Mendes has stated several times he isn't doing it. I'll be very surprised if he ends up being lured back again.
    Spectre was a clear demonstration Mendes saw his own burnout. It'd be radically stupid to bring him back when the man already told the story he wanted to tell two films ago. Time to subvert the directions not staying in the same checkpoint.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    antovolk wrote: »

Yup.

I have a feeling (and have been hearing rumbles) that a director and distributor are already in place, they just haven't announced it yet, at least formally anyway.
    That would make the most sense. So that would imply they are waiting on something else prior to announcing. Curious to know what that could be.

EDIT: Unless is purely a formality and the wait is on account of the technicalities of deal finalization.