No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I personally would've preferred if Vesper's death was done prior to the Venice climax, that way it would've been more plausible for Bond to embark on a revenge-driven task than undevised plan to chase the traitress/rescue the girl situation.

I think that would have worked better than what was done.
  • peter wrote: »
    Not talking about Haggis' innocence or guilt, myself, but--

In the above interview, he only mentions the train scene (two people falling in love-- I like it!!), but nothing else re: CR; But--

In his talk in Toronto he focused on his lone role in fixing the last act (the falling building climax and suicide) . He called the original ending, and I quote, "boring".

(yet, he says he is a Fleming-fan; I have always questioned that as being more lip-service to the fan-base... he seemingly didn't realize that Fleming wrote that "boring" scene in the hotel room!! But P&W did... this tells me, no matter what we feel about these guys, they, AT LEAST, read Fleming, and Haggis didn't; plus it was Haggis himself who wanted the Vesper/child plot in QoS.

IMHO, Haggis isn't being truthful (he's a good writer, in ways (debatable) but isn't a Fleming fan; he didn't know that Vesper killed herself in Fleming's novel in the way P&W depicted, and; comes up with the Vesper/kid story-line for the follow up?..

He also, by his own admission, says, in QoS that he's mixing Fleming with le Carre?? Two writers who are like oil and vinegar??))

I think there's a reason why he wasn't invited back for SF and SP.

Despite innocence or guilt, he, and his writing, comes off as pretentious, artsy shit. And I do say this as a fan of CR and QoS. My like for these films is despite the bullshit Haggis seems to shovel in our faces.

In the end, at the sake of offending anyone-- my opinion only.

I suggest you check out this interview:
    http://www.grouchoreviews.com/interviews/401

Haggis talks about developing the psychological complexity of Bond that we saw in CR. The stuff with Bond suffering from his decisions and being emotionally bruised by the violence despite not showing it. He shows a very strong grasp of the character in my opinion. Which makes QOS even more infuriating.

The Vesper/sinking house stuff was all P&W - all Haggis did was move Vesper into the house. The other two had her die earlier in the script.

Haggis was hired by Martin Campbell to do a character rewrite of Bond in CR
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I personally would've preferred if Vesper's death was done prior to the Venice climax, that way it would've been more plausible for Bond to embark on a revenge-driven task than undevised plan to chase the traitress/rescue the girl situation.

I think that would have worked better than what was done.

Yes, good idea. If they needed the action climax, that would've been the way to do it.
    JET007 wrote: »
    From what I heard, Haggis is suing back. I take allegations against him with a grain of salt as he was recently seen on an episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, talking about his experiences with the religion and making false allegations against former members who speak out against them is EXACTLY what they do and have done so for decades.
    Those are my thoughts, also. His outspoken attacks on Scientology might have something to do with these belated allegations surfacing now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    All I remember from Haggis and his Toronto talk was the idea that he came in and did a complete re-write on the last act @Pierce2Daniel. He called it boring (although it was straight out of Fleming), and his job was to make it exciting (I actually have no problem, at all with the way it ended, by the way).

I'll read the link now-- thanks for passing it along.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Pierce2Daniel I find it amazing that haggis, in this interview, also is insinuating that this script is all his (no mention of P&W), and saying that he had an influence in the decision of DC becoming Bond. I know that Martin Campbell was involved in these discussions; I have never heard that Haggis was part of the conversation! In fact, I thought he was brought on AFTER DC was cast.

In the end, unless a writer is also a producer, or a director of a project, I find it amazing that anything a writer says about casting, especially in a tentpole film like CR, would only be met with deaf ears. Especially when the writer was a hired gun.

I'm going to have to dig into the 'net and find the earliest copies of CR-- since my recollection is there is a lot of P&W in the shooting script (but ten plus years, and too many vodka martinis can fog a memory), so for him to not even share credit with the original writers just baffles me.

He is known to have quite a big ego, and it shows in this interview (taking ALL credit, including the insinuation that he was a part of the DC casting decision and; stepping away from everything that QoS is. I have a gut feeling why he wasn't involved in B23, on any level).
    As much as a Nolan Craig combo would be great I have to say I hope he is doing Bond 26 because then Hardy as 007 would be almost a definite and he is my current favorite
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    As much as a Nolan Craig combo would be great I have to say I hope he is doing Bond 26 because then Hardy as 007 would be almost a definite and he is my current favorite

Do people feel this is "obvious" just because Nolan and Hardy have worked together a few times? In that case, we may as well add Cillian Murphy to the list.

Sadly, by the time they get fired up on filming for B26, both of these chaps will be in their mid-40's. Given the rate they spit these movies out these days, we'd get maybe two or three installments with either of them before having to recast, so it won't happen.

Two words: Jack Lowden

jack%20lowden%20dunkirk%202.jpg?itok=9-1Hjuio
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe

I like the idea of a last Craig movie in the tone and fashion of CR (Campbell). I don't think Nolan would be the right director for that. But Nolan/Hardy for Bond 26 would be very interesting.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,686
    Hardy will be 45* for Bond 26 assuming it comes out in 2022, so he's by default out of the running to replace Craig now.

*Yes, Moore was 46 for LALD, but it only took 6 years for him to reach his 4th film with MR in 1979. At the current rate, Hardy would be 54/55 years old by the time he plays Bond for the 4th time.

The cut-off point for serious candidates for the next Bond actor is anyone born in 1984 (currently 33/34 years old).
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Why has it to be a given, that a new actor has to do four films or even more?

Why is this Hardy guy too old for his fourth film when he'd be 54.

If EoN only produces films every four years now, a fact I actually am only aware since today, then they can't plan with the same actor for more than three or four films maximum anyway if you ask me.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,686

If EoN only produces films every four years now, a fact I actually am only aware since today, then they can't plan with the same actor for more than three or four films maximum anyway if you ask me.

Look how much Moore aged within 6 years between LALD and MR , now imagine he'd have taken almost twice as long to make LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM and MR.

And if you think an actor doing 4 or more films isn't a given, I sure as hell don't want to sit around for 4 years wondering who will be cast as the new Bond, only for him to do 2 or 3 films over a 10 year period, only to sit through another 4 years for EON to cast his successor. I am looking at the current production rate of the franchise since 1999, and it's very clear if they don't accelerate the frequency of the releases, anyone above 34 years in 2018 is never going to be the next James Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If Nolan gets it eventually I wouldn't be surprised if Hardy gets a role...as a villain.
    ----
    Two words: Jack Lowden

jack%20lowden%20dunkirk%202.jpg?itok=9-1Hjuio
    I mentioned him some time back on the Bond Actor thread. The lad has potential and presence.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Look how much Moore aged within 6 years between LALD and MR , now imagine he'd have taken almost twice as long to make LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM and MR.

And if you think an actor doing 4 or more films isn't a given, I sure as hell don't want to sit around for 4 years wondering who will be cast as the new Bond, only for him to do 2 or 3 films over a 10 year period, only to sit through another 4 years for EON to cast his successor. I am looking at the current production rate of the franchise since 1999, and it's very clear if they don't accelerate the frequency of the releases, anyone above 34 years in 2018 is never going to be the next James Bond.

Christ imagine the state of Rog in AVTAK if they'd had 4 year gaps between all his films back then:

LALD - 73
    TMWTGG - 77
    TSWLM - 81
    MR - 85
    FYEO - 89
    OP - 93
    AVTAK - 97

Rog bowing out gracefully at the age of 70 after a tenure of almost a quarter of a century.

And with Patrick Macnee clocking in at 75, Robert Brown 76, Desmond 83 and Lois 70 the Ascot scene would have looked more like an episode of Last of the Summer Wine.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The League of Extraordinarily Hoary Gentlemen. =))
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Christ imagine the state of Rog in AVTAK if they'd had 4 year gaps between all his films back then:

LALD - 73
    TMWTGG - 77
    TSWLM - 81
    MR - 85
    FYEO - 89
    OP - 93
    AVTAK - 97

Rog bowing out gracefully at the age of 70 after a tenure of almost a quarter of a century.

Ehh Roger didn't look half bad in 1996s The Quest.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He looked better in The Quest than in AVTAK.
    Ascot scene did look like last of the summer wine
    Still nothing new yet then I see?
    What are the chances of getting a Summer 2020 release?
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

Of what?
    Of what?
    Why would I post it here if it weren't for Bond 25?
    I don't think they can go for a summer release without someone like Nolan at the helm. Bond is just not big enough stateside.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Very slim. The date is already locked in place.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837

Yeah, I've said this many times before but I'd rather have a 40 odd year old actor who owns the screen and actually looks like an experienced secret agent for only two or three films, than a baby faced hipster indie looking BBC/HBO drama type for five or six films that we have to wait to grow into the role.

I'd rather they just went on a film by film basis. Don't think "this actor is great, but he's too old for us to milk for ten sequels". If a 40-50 year old actor comes along and aces the audition then let him have a shot, even if it's just for one or two films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can't we have both? Can't we have someone starting around 40 who can still get four or five films under his belt before retiring and moving on to the next actor? This "movie every three to four years" nonsense only picked up after QoS in the Craig era.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Have a new Bond every film for all I care, as long as they are good.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Can't we have both? Can't we have someone starting around 40 who can still get four or five films under his belt before retiring and moving on to the next actor? This "movie every three to four years" nonsense only picked up after QoS in the Craig era.

I mean that's the ideal, but I just don't have faith in them getting the films out that quickly anymore. It does make me long for the 90s*. Okay they weren't as "prestigious" as the movies now, they didn't have the Oscar baiting names and the glossy cinematography, but it was simple and straightforward. It was just okay, here's a new James Bond film, nothing more nothing less. If you like it great, if not then give it two years and another will be along.

*Not saying this wasn't also true for the 60s/70s/80s but that's before my time, I have some vague memories of seeing TLD at the cinema but I can't really comment on how the releases felt in those days.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Agreed. Any studio in favour of a more frequent schedule gets my vote, even if it means an ownership shakeup.
    Have a new Bond every film for all I care, as long as they are good.
    Agreed as well.