No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,009
    Shardlake wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    You know, I get the feeling Judi Dench preferred the Brosnan era to the Craig era. And no, I'm not projecting (I think).

No offense but I think that is bollocks, I'm pretty sure Judi preferred what she got with Daniel and the chemistry to my eyes is obvious, she likes to work with actors and no offense to Pierce but he's not got the craft that Daniel has.

Pierce even said he'd loved to got something like Skyfall.

You're both projecting and I hate it when people do this. We have no way of knowing which she preferred, if she does have a preference, but she seems to have had a great time working with both of them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/daniels-fantasticbut-i-do-miss-pierce-says-1702090

"Daniels an incredible talent and I love working with him but I still miss Pierce, revealed Judi, 58, in an exclusive interview with The People.

He was a very warm man and always a lot of fun, always laughing and joking. Pierce was great to have around the set. We became close friends.

I did four Bonds with him so I missed him after he finished with the role.

Theres no comparison between him and Daniel. Theyre completely different actors but both are brilliant men with a fantastic sense of humour, very self-mocking, which you need to play Bond.

But you miss anyone you make a relationship with and you think at some point youll maybe cross paths again. And I did, with Pierce, in a play. If you get on with somebody well, you never really break that
    ."

Yeah @Shardlake, sounds like she really felt she was above working with Pierce, obviously an actor like her would just be doing it for the money, couldn't possibly have just thought it'd be fun to do a Bond film, and she clearly didn't have a nice time on those movies at all. And when she refuses to pick one over the other and says they're both brilliant it definitely sounds like she's saying Pierce is way better @mattjoes.

Sorry for the sarcasm but it annoys me when people project like that and if I were Dame Judi I's be annoyed at you two for putting words in her mouth.

You beat me to it, @thelivingroyale

I think a lot of people seem to forget that actors are not just the characters that they play and can have preferences that are not just solely based on the material they are given. They are people, and considering how family-orientated the behind the scenes stuff on the series is, Dench's comments make a lot of sense and show how much she loved working on the series since '95.

Dench had great chemistry with both Broz and Dan but clearly has a place for Pierce in her heart as he was her first Bond - just like any other fan on this forum will always have a fondness for their "first Bond" even if they may not be the "best" Bond.

Both long-time and short-time fans alike should be aware of that.
    Well, some pretty intense stuff happening here then! ;)

Actually, @thelivingroyale , that was the article that, in a distorted way, I had in my mind when I made that comment. Now that it's been posted here, I have to say you're right, of course! ;)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    My first theory and prediction of the year:

Nolan will be announced as the director of Bond 25 between February 27 and March 5. Why those dates? He won't be announced before Feb 27, because Nolan has asked the producers not to make an official announcement before that date. Why would Nolan ask them that? Because he will get nominated for a Best Directing Oscar, which he will want to win. As much as we all love Bond movies, many Academy members look down on them.

If it was announced that Nolan's next movie will be a 007 film right before the Academy members are submitting their final ballots, many of them would be less likely to vote for Nolan, and Nolan knows this, so he asked Barbara Broccoli to wait a bit with the announcement. And the final Oscar voting closes on February 27.

Why March 5? Because that's a day after the Oscar ceremony. As long as their is a chance that Nolan will win Best Directing for Dunkirk (and the movie Best Picture), Barbara Broccoli would obviously want to announce her next director right after the ceremony.

It makes perfect sense, although (unfortunatelly) I think it won't be Nolan.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @marketto007, who do you guys think has the job? Any thoughts?
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,400

Nolan will be announced as the director of Bond 25 between February 27 and March 5. Why those dates? He won't be announced before Feb 27, because Nolan has asked the producers not to make an official announcement before that date. Why would Nolan ask them that? Because he will get nominated for a Best Directing Oscar, which he will want to win. As much as we all love Bond movies, many Academy members look down on them.

If it was announced that Nolan's next movie will be a 007 film right before the Academy members are submitting their final ballots, many of them would be less likely to vote for Nolan, and Nolan knows this, so he asked Barbara Broccoli to wait a bit with the announcement. And the final Oscar voting closes on February 27.

Why March 5? Because that's a day after the Oscar ceremony. As long as their is a chance that Nolan will win Best Directing for Dunkirk (and the movie Best Picture), Barbara Broccoli would obviously want to announce her next director right after the ceremony.

Admirable logic.

Though completely unfathomable.

If Nolan "has" the job already and is working on Bond 25, then that means contracts have been signed, which in turn means more people become aware of the deal internally and externally. In a world where we are ensconced in media journalism, there is no way this wouldn't leak.

Jorno's at The Hollywood Reporter, Variety, Deadline, The Wrap would willingly sit on a story if the price was right or they didn't want to insult a source. But if word got out (to the point where it's being discussed on James Bond fan-site forums), I'd feel slightly compelled to "leak" if I was them.

There is a reasonable version of events emerging:

1.) Yann Demange has the job:
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/yann-demange-bond-25-daniel-craig-likely-to-return-1202507288/

The Variety story places him directly in the headline. If Yann has the job and is working on Bond 25, it would be understandable that the press wouldn't bother to annouce as the story is already out there and he's hardly a name the media would salivate over. They'll likely wait till a distributor is confirmed before announcing Demange; which is pretty tertiary to the news of Annapurna releasing and Craig returning.

2.) Mendes returns:
    http://www.tracking-board.com/sam-mendes-exits-disneys-live-action-pinocchio-exclusive/

The only reason I think this could happen, is due to Jeff Snieder insinuating it is the case in his article and twitter.

@PanchitoPistoles - Your idea is cute. But not tenable. Whilst Nolan could dictate the terms of his announcement and EON would likely adhere. It's very unlikely that we wouldn't know if he had committed. Though I'd love to be proved wrong.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Hasn't EoN gone for the famous people since QoS?
    Marc Forster, Sam Mendes, Adele, Alicia Keys, Sam Smith, Bardem, Waltz...

As far as I know (I don't know much) they all were very famous at the time of getting their jobs, and still are of course.

So EoN certainly will hire another famous director who's name is well known.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

Not really, as the same academy handed Oscars to Adele and Sam Smith for best song for Bond title themes and historically

Goldfinger 1964 Best Sound Effects

Thunderball 1965 Best Visual Effects

Film Year Category

Here are the years a Bond film was nominated, but didn't win:

Film Year Category Lost to

Diamonds are Forever 1971 Best Sound Fiddler on the Roof

Live and Let Die 1973 Best Orig. Song "The Way we Were"

The Spy Who Loved Me 1977 Best Set Direction Star Wars

The Spy Who Loved Me 1977 Best Orig. Score Star Wars

The Spy Who Loved Me 1977 Best Orig. Song "You Light up My Life"

Moonraker 1979 Best Visual Effect Star Trek

For Your Eyes Only 1981 Best Orig. Song "The Best That You Can Do"
    Not really, as the same academy handed Oscars to Adele and Sam Smith for best song for Bond title themes and historically

That makes about as much sense as saying the Academy LOVES fantasy movies, because LOTR Part III won 11 Oscars. No, it's safe to say most Academy members look down on Bond movies (and that doesn't mean they don't enjoy watching them).

Adele AND Sam Smith have won Oscars for their Bond theme??

And before no Bond theme ever won an Oscar?? I must read that list wrong somehow.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Adele AND Sam Smith have won Oscars for their Bond theme??

And before no Bond theme ever won an Oscar?? I must read that list wrong somehow.
    A rather sad reflection on the Oscar committee imho. To be fair, Nobody Does it Better, Live and Let Die and For Your Eyes Only were also nominated but never won.

Barry has never been nominated for score, which is a disgrace. Hamlisch and Newman have been but didn't win.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Lights, action, camera…Dubrovnik to host three major film productions this year
    thedubrovniktimes.com/news/dubrovnik/item/3748-lights-action-camera-dubrovnik-to-host-three-major-film-productions-this-year?platform=hootsuite

The latest, and the 25th in the franchise, James Bond movie will also be using the stone facades and turquoise Adriatic to full effect. With Daniel Craig as 007 filming is rumoured to starting in the spring of this year, presumably they won’t be bumping into the Game of Thrones crew, with possible dates of April and May speculated.

These details might take some time to come out as it appears the production company are still annoyed at the former mayor of Dubrovnik, Andro Vlahusic, for announcing that Bond was to use Dubrovnik as a location. However, the production company have let a few juicy rumors slip, such as the fact the 007 will have a near death experience in the Adriatic, a host of luxury cars will be involved and that Mr. Bond will encounter old acquaintances. The last Bond “Spectre” movie had a budget of $300 million and estimates suggest that filming in Dubrovnik could cost between four and six million Kuna per day.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Spring of this year? Don't they mean the spring of the next year?
    Old acquaintances. Felix Leiter please.
    Old acquaintances. Felix Leiter please.
    +1
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    +2 we need our brother from Langley back

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hinx.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    We need Leiter back.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Remington wrote: »
    We need Leiter back.

+4
  • //However, the production company have let a few juicy rumors slip, such as the fact the 007 will have a near death experience in the Adriatic, a host of luxury cars will be involved and that Mr. Bond will encounter old acquaintances. //

That's peculiar phrasing, given how Eon doesn't seem to let things slip. But we'll see, I suppose.

Film Year Category

Here are the years a Bond film was nominated, but didn't win:

Film Year Category Lost to

Diamonds are Forever 1971 Best Sound Fiddler on the Roof

Live and Let Die 1973 Best Orig. Song "The Way we Were"

The Spy Who Loved Me 1977 Best Set Direction Star Wars

The Spy Who Loved Me 1977 Best Orig. Score Star Wars

The Spy Who Loved Me 1977 Best Orig. Song "You Light up My Life"

Moonraker 1979 Best Visual Effect Star Trek

For Your Eyes Only 1981 Best Orig. Song "The Best That You Can Do"

"Nobody Does It Better" lost to "You Light Up My Life"? Aaaargh
    another day, another Dubrovnik rumour - apparently filming in April/May. Which IMO is the giveaway of it being false http://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/news/dubrovnik/item/3748-lights-action-camera-dubrovnik-to-host-three-major-film-productions-this-year?platform=hootsuite
    The Croatians have been adamand for about a year now that Bond 25 will be partially filmed in their country. I wouldn't bet on it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nothing new about certain scenery being shot during pre-production.
    I'm also taking it with a pinch of salt.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    "However, the production company have let a few juicy rumors slip, such as the fact the 007 will have a near death experience in the Adriatic, a host of luxury cars will be involved and that Mr. Bond will encounter old acquaintances."

This sounds fantastic. If only it could be true.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If it were true, which it probably isn't, then it sounds like the budget will be just as massive as it was for SP.
    It's actually a very exciting concept, but I hardly think it's true.
    Sounds like rubbish to me. Best to file with the infamous helicopter leak from a few years ago.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    But there is nothing unusual about it really. Craig has a near death experience in almost every movie. Luxury cars are a given.
    Only the part about old aquaintances sounds intriguing, as there aren't many left alive. Could still be Blofeld.
    But i don't believe in gossip anyway, i wait for something official
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Sounds like rubbish to me. Best to file with the infamous helicopter leak from a few years ago.

The helicopter is Bond 25 director confirmed!