No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• //Disney bought Fox, but are this also mean there own things Fox share like Dreamworks Animation, Fox Dutch tv channel or bonus material from Bond.//

To be precise, Disney has AGREED to buy MOST OF Fox. But the deal won't be COMPLETED for 12 to 18 months.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @AlexanderWaverly, it's my understanding that these cross border mega deals take time to complete, as per your above post.

It's also my understanding that there is a freeze on large transactions (like a global distribution deal for instance) taking place when a company is about to be acquired or merged, on account of the due diligence that takes place from announcement of deal to completion (or failure). I am referring now to A&T/Warner.

If the above is true (let me know if wrong), doesn't that mean Warner is off the cards for B25, and we are more likely in for Sony or Paramount, as Forbes reported?
  • bondjames wrote: »
    @AlexanderWaverly, it's my understanding that these cross border mega deals take time to complete, as per your above post.

It's also my understanding that there is a freeze on large transactions (like a global distribution deal for instance) taking place when a company is about to be acquired or merged, on account of the due diligence that takes place from announcement of deal to completion (or failure). I am referring now to A&T/Warner.

If the above is true (let me know if wrong), doesn't that mean Warner is off the cards for B25, and we are more likely in for Sony or Paramount, as Forbes reported?

The above is true. AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner (parent company of Warner Bros.) was announced last year. It hasn't closed and the Trump administration says it opposes it.

Whether that means B25 is off the table for Warner, we'll see. But it's definitely a complication at the very lease.
    Great, that's what I thought. Thanks. Let's see what happens next year. One thing is for sure, we'll know something before 2018 is out!
    bondsum wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Well @bondjames, subtext rarely makes its way through forums like these: I'm not getting worked up.

Observations, that's all.

Recently I've become friends with a long-time forum member. One who works in the film industry and had worked on Bond (as well as many friends of his, who still work with EoN).

What you call "fun" and conjecture, drove this one member off this site-- and he was giving us pearls of factual information (both from EoN's past and present). He knew (knows) things, but was "shouted down", was pretty much called a liar, and, in the end, he wiped his hands of the childish behaviour.

I don't think that's "internet fun" at all.
    That's such a shame to read, @peter. That can only be @ColonelSun, surely? I always looked forward to reading his insights and titbits. I could never understand why some members, here, thought it big and clever to have a pop at him for speaking the truth and sharing his thoughts with us. Put it this way, I'd rather read his comments than their own. Let's hope no one drives you away from our bosom, @peter.
    And it was one particular member who always yelled at him and told him to show his IMDB page and man up or be shamed away as a fake. I think we know whose behaviour is that. But, some people are compelled to pin it on Solace because he doesn’t share their views. Hypocritical, if you ask me.
    I can't recall who it was myself, without clicking back through the history of this thread, but whoever it was should be bloody ashamed of themselves and needs to have a really good look at themselves in the mirror. I don't think it was Solace, for the record, as I haven't seen anything contentious from him.
    Never accused you of anything, @bondsum. I think the one whom I was referring to has emerged himself up there and managed to give a reply in his usual tone.
    Guess what? It turns out it wasn't me who drove him away as I've never sent him any PMs, especially not any "lovely" PMs Peter mentioned.
  • dbowen007dbowen007 Virginia, United States
    I don't even mind the hiatus. I think they really need to dedicate themselves to writing the best script they can. Instead of assembling an all-star cast, write a film that is actually thrilling. Daniel Craig seems bored for a reason; the script for Spectre was garbage and he couldn't hide his displeasure. These people are actors. Give them a top-notch script and let them work.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    dbowen007 wrote: »
    I don't even mind the hiatus. I think they really need to dedicate themselves to writing the best script they can. Instead of assembling an all-star cast, write a film that is actually thrilling. Daniel Craig seems bored for a reason; the script for Spectre was garbage and he couldn't hide his displeasure. These people are actors. Give them a top-notch script and let them work.

That's where it begins: deliver an incredible script, and the rest will fall into place much more easily. You shouldn't be wasting a cast like they did with SP, and that mostly falls down upon the script.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @dbowen007 and @Creasy47 -- everything starts with the script... And, conjecture on my part, DC came back for a reason. I have a feeling he was pulled back because of the story they pitched him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    p.s. welcome @dbowen007 ...
  • dbowen007dbowen007 Virginia, United States
    @peter thank you! I've been hovering about these forums for a few months and finally took the time to join.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Glad you're here with us, @dbowen007 and I look forward to your input!

I just learned that in the tv series Gomorra beside the main roles almost every actor is a non-professional from the local area. Yet there is not one single weak performance throughout two seasons. I give them that because they grew up locally they all look very authentic, but still, it seems strange that a huge production like Bond lets its actors look so bad.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    I might have missed this being discussed (and it's a little off topic, perhaps) but I think Martin Campbell proved with The Foreigner that he is still very much capable of directing a very good action thriller. I really enjoyed The Foreigner; Brosnan is quite good, and Jackie Chan again shows he is more than just a physical comedic actor. I know it is quite unlikely Campbell will direct Bond again, but I would more than happy if he'd return.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    If Campbell ever has the chance of directing a Bond, it's the next one at best. He's not getting any younger. In my opinion, The Foreigner was a tired film trying to pretend it wasn't. Although, I could see Campbell directing the sequel to The November Man, since it is a more laid-back film project as well as an indie, so no pressures from major film studio corporations, and I sincerely hope it happens.
    If Campbell ever has the chance of directing a Bond, it's the next one at best. He's not getting any younger. In my opinion, The Foreigner was a tired film trying to pretend it wasn't. Although, I could see Campbell directing the sequel to The November Man, since it is a more laid-back film project as well as an indie, so no pressures from major film studio corporations, and I sincerely hope it happens.
    Why do you say The Foreigner was tired @ClarkDevlin? I thought he did a superb job with the budget he had. Everyone really shone in that film, most notably Brosnan. He didn't have the budget for big explosions and what not but I felt the film was still reasonably tense and well structured. Having said all that, I can't see him doing another Bond given he already said he'd rather introduce a new one and as we know that won't be happening for at least another 5 years or so. If I was to bet, the same applies with Nolan.
    boldfinger wrote: »

I just learned that in the tv series Gomorra beside the main roles almost every actor is a non-professional from the local area. Yet there is not one single weak performance throughout two seasons. I give them that because they grew up locally they all look very authentic, but still, it seems strange that a huge production like Bond lets its actors look so bad.
    I quite agree. There's really no excuse for that given the time and budget they have to pull these films together. It all comes down to the script, direction and casting. Get that right, with the correct amount of tension, and everything should work out nicely.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Why do you say The Foreigner was tired @ClarkDevlin? I thought he did a superb job with the budget he had. Everyone really shone in that film, most notably Brosnan. He didn't have the budget for big explosions and what not but I felt the film was still reasonably tense and well structured. Having said all that, I can't see him doing another Bond given he already said he'd rather introduce a new one and as we know that won't be happening for at least another 5 years or so.
    It's just that, @bondjames, I found the film average at best, with a better opinion of it on first viewing. It eventually became dull to me and there wasn't a hint of suspenseful interest I'd invest in either Chan's character or Brosnan's, despite the both of them playing their roles rather well. I didn't find it engaging, at all.
    Why do you say The Foreigner was tired @ClarkDevlin? I thought he did a superb job with the budget he had. Everyone really shone in that film, most notably Brosnan. He didn't have the budget for big explosions and what not but I felt the film was still reasonably tense and well structured. Having said all that, I can't see him doing another Bond given he already said he'd rather introduce a new one and as we know that won't be happening for at least another 5 years or so.
    It's just that, @bondjames, I found the film average at best, with a better opinion of it on first viewing. It eventually became dull to me and there wasn't a hint of suspenseful interest I'd invest in either Chan's character or Brosnan's, despite the both of them playing their roles rather well. I didn't find it engaging, at all.
    Fair enough @ClarkDevlin. Perhaps I was captivated by nostalgia, but I found it engaging throughout, and very 90's flavour. To be honest, I much preferred it to The November Man.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Fair enough @ClarkDevlin. Perhaps I was captivated by nostalgia, but I found it engaging throughout, and very 90's flavour. To be honest, I much preferred it to The November Man.
    No doubt the action scenes were handled better in here than in The November Man.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Why do you say The Foreigner was tired @ClarkDevlin? I thought he did a superb job with the budget he had. Everyone really shone in that film, most notably Brosnan. He didn't have the budget for big explosions and what not but I felt the film was still reasonably tense and well structured. Having said all that, I can't see him doing another Bond given he already said he'd rather introduce a new one and as we know that won't be happening for at least another 5 years or so. If I was to bet, the same applies with Nolan.

What I also liked about the film is the way the fight scenes were filmed. For example the fight in the B&B when Chan climbs through the roof: looked very cool. I think this style of editing / filming would have suited QOS much better.

That's too bad @ClarkDevlin. I'm very disappointed in you. Just kidding ;) But I didn't feel the film was tired at all. Maybe when I've seen it more times my opinion will change a bit (I hope not).
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I completely agree @Jeffrey. I love the way Campbell handles the fights in his films. That's part of what I meant about a retro flavour. I felt elements of the superior fight choreography in CR/GE in that sequence. QoS indeed would have benefited from Campbell, and if I'm not mistaken he was actually asked to do it first but turned it down.
  • Wow, little to no news on Bond 25 and everybody starts to turn on one another.

The rats come for the coconut, and... [imitates metallic scuttering.] They fall into the drum, and after a month, you've trapped all the rats. But what did you do then? Throw the drum into the ocean? Burn it? No. You just leave it. And they begin to get hungry, then one by one... [imitates rat munching sound.] They start eating each other, until there are only two left. The two survivors. And then what - do you kill them? No. You take them, and release them into the trees. Only now, they don't eat coconut anymore. Now they will only eat rat. You have changed their nature.
    The Bond fans come for the news, and... they fall into the thread, and after a month, you've trapped all the fans. But what do you do then? Close the thread? No. You just leave it. And they begin to get anxious about the lack of news, then one by one... they start fighting each other and getting each other banned, until there are only two left. The two survivors. And then what - do you ban them too? No. You let them stay. Only now, they don't want Bond news anymore. Now, they only want to get each other banned. You have changed their nature.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The Bond fans come for the news, and... they fall into the thread, and after a month, you've trapped all the fans. But what do you do then? Close the thread? No. You just leave it. And they begin to get anxious about the lack of news, then one by one... they start fighting each other and getting each other banned, until there are only two left. The two survivors. And then what - do you ban them too? No. You let them stay. Only now, they don't want Bond news anymore. Now, they only want to get each other banned. You have changed their nature.
    That’s pretty much it for some specific people here. Accurately put, as always, @mattjoes. :))
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    writer5150 wrote: »
    You have changed their nature.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    You have changed their nature.
    THE NATURE OF EVIL!!!

Interesting how people see only what they want to see. I joined a peaceful discussion above, with hardly any attention to gnawing rats. Now I am afraid to check if it´s really so bad...
    Nothing like a bit of peaceful Silva philosophizing to dial the temperature down a little. Very zen.
    Amen!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How long has it been since the thread title changed? Seems more was happening with Bond 25 a few months ago compared with now.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    How long has it been since the thread title changed? Seems more was happening with Bond 25 a few months ago compared with now.
    I'm about to update it.
    I read somewhere today a new Aston will be in the film.