No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I want a DB5 chase scene in Bond 25

God no !!

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I want a DB5 chase scene in Bond 25
    You and me both, mate. I don't know why's the hate for DB5, which itself is a timeless piece of machinery. Unlike the '69 DBS and the rest followed which are clearly products of their time and show their age as well as being outdated.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm not in favour of this because it's already been done brilliantly twice before. Once in GF when the car was contemporary, and later in GE, when the car was already a classic. Anything more would be repetitive and only draw comparisons to those two iconic films, where B25 will most likely come up short.
    Truth be told it could be the tequila talking (I am on vacation with my beautiful wife in mexico) but I feel the Brosnan and late Moore eras (For Your Eyes Only- A View to a Kill) are not as bad as some think at least they had a consistent tone regardless of which Craig films you like or dislike the tone has been all over the map
    Perfect example of where we are with the series. Some want to push forward, some want to go back. Scriptwriters can't win.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    patb wrote: »
    Perfect example of where we are with the series. Some want to push forward, some want to go back. Scriptwriters can't win.

Not while Craig is in the role.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I think they have to be a little more inventive going forward. This is a long running series after all, and it's important not to plagiarize (or insult/denigrate) the franchise's storied past. The trick, as with everything, is in the execution.

There have been some films in the past 22 years which have been highly praised (GE, CR & SF). I happen to personally think that these have been the best films of that period as well. The rest of them have been distinctly poor in my view (and of course many will disagree, which as one should expect, given the large number of fans for this series who came on board at various times and because we are all unique).

Those 3 highly rated films have all been quite different. GE was quite formula'esque but a statement of intent about Bond's role in a post-cold war world. CR was quite Fleming'esque and took Bond back to his gritty roots after a flirtation with OTT. SF was something else entirely. It brought something new, shook up the traditional flow, and also harkened back to the past. The consistent aspect of all 3 (again in my view), was excellent execution. The vision was clear and everyone worked from the same page to deliver on that vision. There is a clarity to all three films. That's the trick in my humble estimation.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I want a Quantum of Solace-esque chase scene. I had such high expectations for the SPECTRE one and it was one of the biggest let downs of the film. The QoS chase was awesome.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I want a Quantum of Solace-esque chase scene. I had such high expectations for the SPECTRE one and it was one of the biggest let downs of the film. The QoS chase was awesome.
    This!
    This!
    That was an excellent chase, but the choreography and style were highly imitative of the prior Bourne entries which moved the benchmark in this respect. I think we should look to contemporary films to see what they may bring us (Baby Driver perhaps).
    bondjames wrote: »
    This!
    That was an excellent chase, but the choreography and style were highly imitative of the prior Bourne entries which moved the benchmark in this respect. I think we should look to contemporary films to see what they may bring us (Baby Driver perhaps).
    Also this!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It's the type of thing I'd love to see, but I fear the series will distance itself from any comparisons to QoS (past the character "connections" in SP). QoS did everything superbly when it came to the action sequences, in my opinion, and I want that type of intensity put back into it all. The Italy rooftop chase, the fight scenes, the opening car chase, they're all so frenetic and high-danger.
    My only complaint with QoS is the shakycam element that I hated. If the intensive scenes are akin to what Atomic Blonde accomplished (Bourne-like minus the shakycam), I'd be very happy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    My only complaint with QoS is the shakycam element that I hated. If the intensive scenes are akin to what Atomic Blonde accomplished (Bourne-like minus the shakycam), I'd be very happy.

How about that action scene with Jackie Chan attempting to escape the B+B. The was very well executed, and actually reminded me of the stairwell fight from CR.

I'd be just as fine with that tweak, I know that style of editing isn't to everyone's liking. That jarring cut-editing is something that bugs me a lot of the time too, but for some reason I didn't mind it in the slightest in QoS and had no issues with following what was going on (though it could be because I caught the movie three or four times in a week or so, so I was familiar with it so quickly upon release).

Bringing Forster back for another would be gold, but it'd never happen. A man can dream.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    There is a real energy to the QoS scenes, but again they were highly derivative of the Bourne films of that time. I agree @Creasy47, given that film's lukewarm reception within the fan community and the public at large I don't think we'll see that sort of quick cutting to showcase intensity for B25.

@ClarkDevlin I think there is a trend back to more long cut action sequences in film and tv. Atomic Blonde is a perfect example as you note.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bringing Forster back for another would be gold, but it'd never happen. A man can dream.
    He'd be better than sappy melodrama director Sam Mendes for sure!
    @ClarkDevlin I think there is a trend back to more long cut action sequences in film and tv. Atomic Blonde is a perfect example as you note.
    Precisely, @bondjames. Something I actually have a liking for.

Pretty much anyone is better than that sappy melodrama that is fitting for an Oscar indie, but not for a massive action/spy thriller series like this.

It's James Bond, Sam, not American Beauty 2.

Pretty much anyone is better than that sappy melodrama that is fitting for an Oscar indie, but not for a massive action/spy thriller series like this.

It's James Bond, Sam, not American Beauty 2.
    Tell that to the concierge. :))
  • RC7RC7
    I’d take the technicality and swagger of both CR and SF. There’s very little in QoS and SP that strikes me as being superior to their immediate predecessors, bar window dressing here and there. What I’d personally like is something more akin to OHMSS. A film with scale, beauty and intrigue. A film with a ‘caper’ at the heart of it, rather than an overbearing layer of personal tragedy. Then pepper with action, that isn’t all consuming.

There’s room for a majestic finale that doesn’t piggyback on current trends.
    Welcome back, @RC7.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Truth be told it could be the tequila talking (I am on vacation with my beautiful wife in mexico) but I feel the Brosnan and late Moore eras (For Your Eyes Only- A View to a Kill) are not as bad as some think at least they had a consistent tone regardless of which Craig films you like or dislike the tone has been all over the map

Not sure I agree they were tonally consistent but certainly enjoyable!
    The DB5 in SF was a case in point. The overall movie took a new and fresh approach. Too far off the Bond template for some but obvioulsy it did very well. But they could not resist bringing the DB5 back. It's lazy IMHO. Thing is, on first watch, it brought a massive smile to my face. It's a cheap trick (which I fell for) but does not help the series in the long run. The only up side (I thought so at the time) was to use the blowing up of the DB5 as a message to fans -" right, thats definately it, it's over, lets move on" but they did not have the guts to do that and it comes back yet again.
    If the series is not strong enough to move forward without the DB5, then it's in trouble.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The DB5 in SF was a case in point. The overall movie took a new and fresh approach. Too far off the Bond template for some but obvioulsy it did very well. But they could not resist bringing the DB5 back. It's lazy IMHO. Thing is, on first watch, it brought a massive smile to my face. It's a cheap trick (which I fell for) but does not help the series in the long run. The only up side (I thought so at the time) was to use the blowing up of the DB5 as a message to fans -" right, thats definately it, it's over, lets move on" but they did not have the guts to do that and it comes back yet again.
    If the series is not strong enough to move forward without the DB5, then it's in trouble.

The DB5 was both nostalgic AND symbolic in SF. When we see it get blown to bits, at the end of the film, that was a definite allusion to a destruction of "old" Bond and "old ways." It worked.
    Then, I am very thankful the "old ways" was resurrected.
    TripAces wrote: »

The DB5 was both nostalgic AND symbolic in SF. When we see it get blown to bits, at the end of the film, that was a definite allusion to a destruction of "old" Bond and "old ways." It worked.

... but isn't the allusion lost when it simply returns in the following film, completely restored? Does that allude to the "old ways" returning or something?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

@TripAces But then, at the end, they bring the old office back? :-/
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Wasn't the message also "sometimes the old ways are best". Meaning Bond still has his place.

And destroying an Aston Martin is part of the formula for Connery and Craig. But AM will return.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I haven’t the foggiest what the underlying message of SF actually was. Just seems to be one long shaggy nostalgia fest. And in the absence of any coherent narrative or meaning I’ve decided it was a pro-Brexit movie, so I have even more reason to dislike it now.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    This!
    Baby Driver didn´t feature a lot of car action that wasn´t already in TMWTGG or OP. I wouldn´t mind half the film being such chases. I just want good stuff, I don´t care if it´s original or not.

There is a real energy to the QoS scenes, but again they were highly derivative of the Bourne films of that time. I agree @Creasy47, given that film's lukewarm reception within the fan community and the public at large I don't think we'll see that sort of quick cutting to showcase intensity for B25.

What´s wrong with action scenes being derivative? M:I recently proves how well that can go, and I have no problems whatsoever re-watching QoS with all its derivative stuff, because it´s done well. I have problems re-watching the highly derivative of the Bourne and Batman films stuff in SF, because I think it´s done not well.

Oh I see, that´s why they re-introduced the old M office at the end of SF, right?
    SF is a textbook example of pretentiousness.