No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Waltz could be telling the truth , he would know by now if he were castes & filming in 10-11 months by now
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Waltz could be telling the truth , he would know by now if he were castes & filming in 10-11 months by now

But he was the first to say he won't be playing Blofeld in SP. There's no reason to ever assume actors are telling the truth with this sort of thing.
  • My guess is that they'll open with Bond retired but it'll be many years after the events of SP and Blofeld and Madeline won't be mentioned more than in passing. So technically it'll be a follow up because Bond is retired, but storywise it'll be stand alone. New villain, new girl, etc.

The reason I think this is because something tells me they'll go for an Unforgiven type thing after the success of Logan. Old man Bond coming out of retirement for one last mission just makes sense as an angle for Craig's last one, but they won't want to follow on from SP because it isn't exactly well regarded, so that's why I think it'll have it's own story apart from the loose link of Bond being out of the game.

I would have preferred a YOLT adaptation because it seemed like the perfect chance to do it but oh well. Maybe in another 50 years time :(
  • There was nothing wrong with the casting of Waltz as Blofeld. The problem was the script. it gave him nothing to do. His first scene he sat down in a chair in shadow, mumbled something then said cuckoo. Then he showed up and showed Bond around the super-villain lair. All he was asked to do was stand and walk and reveal some silly plan. He then was sat down remotely operating a dentist drill (???). Then he popped up behind glass, showing off his new scar. Finally, he was on the bridge, glaring at Bond. Seriously, I don't think anyone could have done much more with such a thinly sketched character. I think the only reason Waltz took the part was for the money. Who can blame him? But will be be back? Well, if the script gives him something to sink his teeth into, maybe. He IS a great actor, but Spectre was such a dreadfully pedestrian script, so the blame lays elsewhere.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That's the route I think they will go down as well @thelivingroyale . Hardly what I want, but it makes sense to me.

EDIT: My hope is that enough time passes on from Logan and enough successful films of a different nature play out in the theatres so that they revisit the idea and perhaps go down a different path.
    It's even more upsetting that Waltz bailed on Tarantino's The Hateful Eight for SP. At least he would've shined with the material in the former - completely wasted in the latter.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's even more upsetting that Waltz bailed on Tarantino's The Hateful Eight for SP. At least he would've shined with the material in the former - completely wasted in the latter.
    I didn't realize that. What a shame indeed. We all know he would have been terrific under Quentin (although a 3rd Oscar would have been perhaps too much to hope for).
    bondjames wrote: »
    I didn't realize that. What a shame indeed. We all know he would have been terrific under Quentin (although a 3rd Oscar would have been perhaps too much to hope for).

It's funny too because his role went to Tim Roth, who almost seems like he's playing Waltz playing the character in the film.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 5,767
    I still think QoS is far more Greengrass than Hunt in terms of editing (having just viewed OHMSS last night) with a dose of visual frenzy thrown in. He even brought in members of the Bourne team for this film as I recall. However, what's different is that the environments in which the action takes place is more Bondian. In OHMSS one can actually appreciate the settings and there is far more visual context.
    I was thinking of scenes like the fight on the boat near the end of TB, or the short fistfight in OHMSS immediately before Bond meets Draco. Frantic editing with a clear rhythm. The vibe I get from QoS is more like this than like Greengrass´ influence. In Bourne 2 for instance you actually don´t see things clearly in the frame in many action scenes, the scenes play with the viewers mind, challenging it to assemble the picture itself. In QoS on the other hand, despite the editors being the same who also worked with Greengrass, pictures are in fact in the frame. They´re very short many times, but they´re there, and very clear most of the time. That makes for a very different experience, at least for me.

Waltz was kinda shit in Spectre.....maybe recast?
    Why not try directing him properly?

It's funny too because his role went to Tim Roth, who almost seems like he's playing Waltz playing the character in the film.
    That´s what I thought when I watched the film, without the almost.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I still think QoS is far more Greengrass than Hunt in terms of editing (having just viewed OHMSS last night) with a dose of visual frenzy thrown in. He even brought in members of the Bourne team for this film as I recall. However, what's different is that the environments in which the action takes place is more Bondian. In OHMSS one can actually appreciate the settings and there is far more visual context.
    I was thinking of scenes like the fight on the boat near the end of TB, or the short fistfight in OHMSS immediately before Bond meets Draco. Frantic editing with a clear rhythm. The vibe I get from QoS is more like this than like Greengrass´ influence. In Bourne 2 for instance you actually don´t see things clearly in the frame in many action scenes, the scenes play with the viewers mind, challenging it to assemble the picture itself. In QoS on the other hand, despite the editors being the same who also worked with Greengrass, pictures are in fact in the frame. They´re very short many times, but they´re there, and very clear most of the time. That makes for a very different experience, at least for me.
    Ok, I can see a bit of what you're referring to in the examples you cite from TB & OHMSS (which arguably weren't the best action sequences in those two respective entries imho). However on the whole I found the opposite experience initially, in that I was actually able to make out far more in the Bourne entries than QoS. It was almost like QoS took the Bourne concept and sloppily applied it on steroids (at least to my eyes). I have to admit however that on the small screen and with repeated viewings I have come to appreciate the action far more (the film works better on a smaller screen). However I don't think many others (in terms of the general public) even bothered to give it a second look. Therefore it's somewhat relegated to forgotten status, like LTK.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 15,818
    My guess is that they'll open with Bond retired but it'll be many years after the events of SP and Blofeld and Madeline won't be mentioned more than in passing. So technically it'll be a follow up because Bond is retired, but storywise it'll be stand alone. New villain, new girl, etc.

The reason I think this is because something tells me they'll go for an Unforgiven type thing after the success of Logan. Old man Bond coming out of retirement for one last mission just makes sense as an angle for Craig's last one, but they won't want to follow on from SP because it isn't exactly well regarded, so that's why I think it'll have it's own story apart from the loose link of Bond being out of the game.

I would have preferred a YOLT adaptation because it seemed like the perfect chance to do it but oh well. Maybe in another 50 years time :(

I have a feeling that's how it may play out as well.

Can't say I'd be too thrilled if that's the case unless it were extraordinarily well done.

I really wish the Bonds would cease being so strongly influenced by other popular movies. We could dialogue that the films have been overly influenced since the Moore era. That said, at least LALD, TMWTGG and MR look and feel like Bond movies. I've read and heard many say that they felt QOS didn't remotely seem like a Bond film, just a BOURNE ripoff.

I didn't even bother to see LOGAN as the title itself turned me away. Let's hope they don't take this too far and call the film JAMES.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Let's hope they don't take this too far and call the film JAMES.
    A chilling thought. I realize you're jesting of course and I had a laugh over it.
    A chilling thought. I realize you're jesting of course and I had a laugh over it.

I do think we'll get a reasonably Bondian title. I don't think even SPECTRE was that bad a title as simple as it was.

I do think we'll get a reasonably Bondian title. I don't think even SPECTRE was that bad a title as simple as it was.
    I've never liked SPECTRE just because it's so uninventive. Moreover, it automatically set expectations rather high (for long time fans) and thereby almost set itself up to disappoint.

I certainly hope that the Quantum debacle didn't scare them off obscure multi word titles for good. I'd appreciate a return to one of those at some point (as long as there's no 'die' or 'kill' in it).

I've never liked SPECTRE just because it's so uninventive. Moreover, it automatically set expectations rather high (for long time fans) and thereby almost set itself up to disappoint.

I certainly hope that the Quantum debacle didn't scare them off obscure multi word titles for good. I'd appreciate a return to one of those at some point (as long as there's no 'die' or 'kill' in it).

I hope they're not scared off multi-word titles as well. I'd like a 4 word title along the lines of FRWL or YOLT. I do find it a pity EON hasn't seen fit to consider some of the continuation novel titles. I always liked COLONEL SUN, along with FOR SPECIAL SERVICES, ICEBREAKER, ROLE OF HONOR, and so forth.
    Even some of the comic titles were't so bad. SHATTERED HELIX, and A SILENT ARMAGEDDON, to me, also sound quite Bondian.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    So, some of you also think that BOND 25 could go the LOGAN way? Well, I recently made this...

bK9obV3.png
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So, some of you also think that BOND 25 could go the LOGAN way? Well, I recently made this...

bK9obV3.png

Wow! Love it. I just hope the actual film has a cool title though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have been a proponent of the title “BOND” for some time.
    The follow up could be called BOND, JAMES BOND
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Looking at again, that is an incredibly effective poster; I would buy one.
    I prefer your earlier emo suggestion. JAMES
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    JIMBO

featuring the reimagination of Jack Wade, CIA.

or if EON fear audiences have forgotten Bond's preferences in the last four years they could call it : SHAKEN NOT STIRRED. To simply even further, just call it SHAKEN.
    Tagline: "This time, it's not Shaken. It's Stirred."

Yes!!! "And this time......it's NOT PERSONAL"

I think I like the JIMBO title better, though.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Only when I watched the film several times I got the impression that, while clearly jumping on the fast-cut wagon, essentially the editing style is more like Peter Hunt than Paul Greengrass.

Please don't insult Peter Hunt with such comparisons. OHMSS has lightning-speed editing that is immediately comprehensible to a first-time viewer. Only incompetent filmmakers create action sequences whose action isn't clear upon immediate viewing.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423

Haha, Win Win! :))

or perhaps Yo Jimbo! (the way Wade calls him) would be better, and come to think of it... It'd be an homage to Yojimbo, a story element they might want to use.

or if EON fear audiences have forgotten Bond's preferences in the last four years they could call it : SHAKEN NOT STIRRED. To simply even further, just call it SHAKEN.
    I quite like SHAKEN NOT STIRRED.

The tagline could be "He still doesn't give a damn!"

Haha, Win Win! :))

or perhaps Yo Jimbo! (the way Wade calls him) would be better, and come to think of it... It'd be an homage to Yojimbo, a story element they might want to use.

Perfect.

I quite like SHAKEN NOT STIRRED.

The tagline could be "He still doesn't give a damn!"
    That'd be a mockumentary title based on the production of Bond 25. :))