No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I am more than sure it wasn’t Solace that was being referred to.
    peter wrote: »
    I just find it a little strange that because of the minor hiccup that's SP, all of a sudden Barbara's lost her marbles, and we could all produce a better film than she-- in our sleep.

It's as if Bond's never been through "lows" before.

After all, it was her dad who signed, SIGNED, John Gavin (an American), and, as legend has it, also went after Burt Reynolds, Adam West and Clint Eastwood (who had to tell the producer that James Bond is an Englishman); Cubby didn't learn his lesson, and went after James Brolin later on!!

And here we are today, ringing our hands because SP didn't turn out to be what they had expected, others chiming in that a good script is easy to write (if it was, we'd all be writing scripts at a million bucks per), that Barbara's relationship with Daniel is dangerous to the final execution of the films (as records show, Cubby and Moore were very, very close friends)...

Bond will evolve and be a man of his time under this stewardship, but, the DNA will stay the same (I don't think Cubby would object to anything his daughter's done, or, WHY she did it to keep the franchise thriving).

Apart from the know it alls, that podcast showed a very grounded, humble and passionate/knowledgeable woman. Bond's in safe hands.

Always has been, despite any hiccups, which are a part of the film industry.

(Personally, I thing SP was a "beautiful mess", as I have called it many times; it was the perfect storm of events, including the blown-out knee of its star, that led to a very uneven film.

I've read a few drafts of SP, but never the "shooting script"; something I don't think we will ever learn is how much was being re-written, because of circumstances, on the set itself.

In some ways, it's amazing we even got the film we did, in my humble opinion (and I'm a person that is ready to admit many of it's mistakes (that includes a terribly bland third act, and a lack of rhythm-- which is not surprising, considering Mendes was still editing the Final Cut, right up to the last days before the premiere). These people faced a shit storm, and came out the other end.

B25 will be fine. Some audiences will love it; others won't. That's the nature of the biz. But, as Broccoli herself said, Bond will survive. Fleming knew it. Her father knew it. She knows it. She comes from quite a pedigree.

We are, on the other hand, and unfortunately for some of us, just fans on a website, throwing tantrums and holding our breaths...)
    So you weren´t here then, @peter, at the time before CR, when Eon´s marbles were questioned in various ways after TWINE and DAD?

• edited December 2017 Posts: 386
    I can understand the angst to be honest.

We're in for a four year interval between two Craig movies.

The last two were handsome and popular on first release but IMO they aren't very likeable or enduring.

DC popped his knee on the last one and appeared gun shy. The last act in that same movie is worse than DAF's.

DC stormed in like a bull from a gate with CR and QoS but he's lost much momentum since then. I'm talking intensity of performance and sheer conviction as Bond.

Finally, the chances of wrapping up his "arc" in an original and convincing way are slim.

No one wants to be mired in mild frustration, but that's precisely where I'd expect many Bond fans to be.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    The last two were handsome and popular on first release but IMO they aren't very likeable or enduring.
    Skyfall is still handsome and popular. As for Spectre, it never was handsome and popular.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    And folks like bondjames, who accepts and apologizes almost every behavior in the name of " let's be a gutmensch and embrace every mean and insulting post as opinion" doesnt help in doing so.
    I'm sorry, I'll speak up when I see an attempt by you or anyone else to target members here just because you don't agree with someone's opinion. I saw you and a few other members attempt a deliberate takedown a few months back just because a member was expressing a contrary viewpoint. This is after he had attempted to justify why he held that position and clarify his thinking. I found that unacceptable. I still do.

This is a speculation thread, among other things. In lieu of hard facts, all points of view should be encouraged. Even those one doesn't like. If someone is privy to inside information but cannot reveal their source or come out and state why they are sure that something specific is a fact, then they are subject to the same scrutiny as others, until they can validate their position.

The same thing happened to the member who said Nolan was directing/involved- his post was subject to discussion or scrutiny. Same thing happened to the one who said there was a back to back film in the works. He was questioned. I remember you grilling a member on the leaks thread a few years ago for something he claimed to know. I didn't have a problem with that.

That is quite different from someone commenting in general on how the industry or EON works based on their inside knowledge. Even then, when such a viewpoint is offered 'in general' rather than about something specific that they know for a fact has occurred, I don't see why it cannot be questioned. Furthermore, if an insider offers a personal opinion on how they feel about members of EON, then it is just that. An opinion. As an example, I have very positive feelings about my clients but I'm sure I'm not objective about them, precisely because I know them. In fact, I'm quite certain I have a bias. Particularly if I'm paid by them.

That also shouldn't stop other members from offering their point of view on how they feel things are going or have been going, whether it be with EON, with Craig, with MGM or with the films. Positive or negative. Until the day someone confirms to me that any of them read this thread (or forum) and give a toss about what a few internet warriors say that is. So far, I've been informed that the opposite is the case by those in the know here.
  • GetCarter wrote: »
    Skyfall is still handsome and popular. As for Spectre, it never was handsome and popular.

Skyfall has has many admirers, I concede that.

As for Spectre, I'd argue it was handsome, as you'd expect from the talent behind the camera. It also made good box office.
    Well @bondjames, subtext rarely makes its way through forums like these: I'm not getting worked up.

Observations, that's all.

Recently I've become friends with a long-time forum member. One who works in the film industry and had worked on Bond (as well as many friends of his, who still work with EoN).

What you call "fun" and conjecture, drove this one member off this site-- and he was giving us pearls of factual information (both from EoN's past and present). He knew (knows) things, but was "shouted down", was pretty much called a liar, and, in the end, he wiped his hands of the childish behaviour.

I don't think that's "internet fun" at all.
    That's such a shame to read, @peter. That can only be @ColonelSun, surely? I always looked forward to reading his insights and titbits. I could never understand why some members, here, thought it big and clever to have a pop at him for speaking the truth and sharing his thoughts with us. Put it this way, I'd rather read his comments than their own. Let's hope no one drives you away from our bosom, @peter.
  • peter wrote: »
    I just find it a little strange that because of the minor hiccup that's SP, all of a sudden Barbara's lost her marbles, and we could all produce a better film than she-- in our sleep.

It's as if Bond's never been through "lows" before.

After all, it was her dad who signed, SIGNED, John Gavin (an American), and, as legend has it, also went after Burt Reynolds, Adam West and Clint Eastwood (who had to tell the producer that James Bond is an Englishman); Cubby didn't learn his lesson, and went after James Brolin later on!!

And here we are today, ringing our hands because SP didn't turn out to be what they had expected, others chiming in that a good script is easy to write (if it was, we'd all be writing scripts at a million bucks per), that Barbara's relationship with Daniel is dangerous to the final execution of the films (as records show, Cubby and Moore were very, very close friends)...

Bond will evolve and be a man of his time under this stewardship, but, the DNA will stay the same (I don't think Cubby would object to anything his daughter's done, or, WHY she did it to keep the franchise thriving).

Apart from the know it alls, that podcast showed a very grounded, humble and passionate/knowledgeable woman. Bond's in safe hands.

Always has been, despite any hiccups, which are a part of the film industry.

(Personally, I thing SP was a "beautiful mess", as I have called it many times; it was the perfect storm of events, including the blown-out knee of its star, that led to a very uneven film.

I've read a few drafts of SP, but never the "shooting script"; something I don't think we will ever learn is how much was being re-written, because of circumstances, on the set itself.

In some ways, it's amazing we even got the film we did, in my humble opinion (and I'm a person that is ready to admit many of it's mistakes (that includes a terribly bland third act, and a lack of rhythm-- which is not surprising, considering Mendes was still editing the Final Cut, right up to the last days before the premiere). These people faced a shit storm, and came out the other end.

B25 will be fine. Some audiences will love it; others won't. That's the nature of the biz. But, as Broccoli herself said, Bond will survive. Fleming knew it. Her father knew it. She knows it. She comes from quite a pedigree.

We are, on the other hand, and unfortunately for some of us, just fans on a website, throwing tantrums and holding our breaths...)

With little exceptions her whole tenure in this century is one big hiccup. Again, there's nothing like a coherent vision in all of her produced movies. To me that says just about everything.
    Differing opinion is healthy; some of the things on here recently have been cultish— everyday complain about the same things, repeat, repeat, repeat.. if it’s said enough times it just might become reality.

@Thunderfinger, I doubt we will ever know, definitively, who came up with the foster bro angle. As the podcast proved we never really know anything; a story making the rounds about M’s death in SF was attributed to Mended (I thought that too), but she corrected this statement and said it was the writers who came up with M’s death.

We might never know, who came up with the idea, but we know for sure that Daniel Craig said that it was too good of an idea not to make it. Again this says just about everything about everyone involved in the production.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @boldfinger, No I was not a member back then.

@bondsum, you are correct. Good guy. Very talented. Never rubbed it anyone's face. The difference between the truly knowledgeable, and those that aren't, is humility.

@ColonelSun was sharing his knowledge and giving us insight. There was no boastfulness.

Some have mentioned that he had every right to be questioned like others-- but the others seem to be basing everything on threads of rumours from other websites. ColonelSun was bringing us tidbits not found in rags.

Knowing a little of the business myself, I knew the difference, and knew that this guy had some superior knowledge (not just about EoN, but filmmaking in general), and that is why I reached out to him.

I'm happy I did so since I've been treated to his exceptional experiences-- both inside EoN, and on his other projects (that I've seen with my own eyes).

But it was the loud arrogance and loutishness of some that made him shake his head and walk away from the noise (and I know he realizes that most are great fans on this site; whether we agree, or not, there's always respectful debate; it was the boisterous minority running amok who ruin if for the more emotionally stable of us.). This isn't, as has been stated, about some being upset with differing opinions-- I can assure you, @ColonelSun is far too intelligent to be wounded by someone not agreeing with his point of view (in fact that argument's pretty misplaced)-- but it has everything to do with disrespectful behaviour.

Someone had called themselves "internet warriors"; if getting behind a screen is one's definition of a warrior, I'd suggest trying a sport, instead. Boxing? Crossfit? Something else to release that pent-up frustration and tension.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Its too Bad, People like Solace, WHO badmouth pretty much every positive and insideful opinion (and I remember fairly well some of the duscussions you are referring to and with whom. ) This guy is allowed to spred his negativity, while driving away people, who are actually trying to be useful. Shame.
    And folks like bondjames, who accepts and apologizes almost every behavior in the name of " let's be a gutmensch and embrace every mean and insulting post as opinion" doesnt help in doing so.

And folks who fan the flames don't help either. Nothing needs stirring, thank you very much.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Well @bondjames, subtext rarely makes its way through forums like these: I'm not getting worked up.

Recently I've become friends with a long-time forum member. One who works in the film industry and had worked on Bond (as well as many friends of his, who still work with EoN).

What you call "fun" and conjecture, drove this one member off this site-- and he was giving us pearls of factual information (both from EoN's past and present). He knew (knows) things, but was "shouted down", was pretty much called a liar, and, in the end, he wiped his hands of the childish behaviour.

That's such a shame to read, @peter. That can only be @ColonelSun, surely? I always looked forward to reading his insights and titbits. I could never understand why some members, here, thought it big and clever to have a pop at him for speaking the truth and sharing his thoughts with us. Put it this way, I'd rather read his comments than their own. Let's hope no one drives you away from our bosom, @peter.
    And it was one particular member who always yelled at him and told him to show his IMDB page and man up or be shamed away as a fake. I think we know whose behaviour is that. But, some people are compelled to pin it on Solace because he doesn’t share their views. Hypocritical, if you ask me.
    Some have mentioned that he had every right to be questioned like others-- but the others seem to be basing everything on threads of rumours from other websites. ColonelSun was bringing us tidbits not found in rags.
    And I'm sure most respected those tidbits. Any opinion around that can of course be questioned (and those opinons have been offered by all, insiders and outsiders).
    Someone had called themselves "internet warriors"; if getting behind a screen is one's definition of a warrior, I'd suggest trying a sport, instead. Boxing? Crossfit? Something else to release that pent-up frustration and tension.
    I used that term. Thanks for your advice. Noted.

I certainly hope that @ColonelSun decides to rejoin this forum in time. His knowledge is and was valuable.

So anyone who doesn't share your opinion is frustrated while you represent the voice of reason and logic? I tell you something, whenever you find yourself on the same side of opinion with Germanlady it's time to seriously re-evaluate your thinking. Apart from having the hots for Daniel there's just nothing that qualifies her as a bond fan.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ... I'm sorry @noSolaceleft, as I clearly stated, this has nothing to do with differing opinions, but, instead, has everything to do with what you've just done-- strike out.

Now, I'm going to assume the MODs and Jake himself must be tiring of this. If you'd like to continue this conversation, please reach-out. You have my contact info.

Best
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,619
    And it was one particular member who always yelled at him and told him to show his IMDB page and man up or be shamed away as a fake. I think we know whose behaviour is that. But, some people are compelled to pin it on Solace because he doesn’t share their views. Hypocritical, if you ask me.
    Nobody ever yelled at ColonelSun. On the other hand it was ColonelSun who did not understand that essentially saying "I work in the film industry" is not an argument on an anonymous internet forum.
    ColonelSun was bringing us tidbits not found in rags.
    Ok, I will bite: what was the last tidbit Colonel Sun brought us?
    but it has everything to do with disrespectful behaviour.
    ColonelSun's last two comments before his departure: "What a crock of..." and "Seriously??? I won't even waste my time." What do you call these comments if not disrespectful?
    Guys (and gals), can we all just get along and stop pointing fingers or whatever else at others, either directly (at least I respect that) or opaquely. All that serves to do is antagonize people and clog up the thread.

I'm not going to stop expressing myself on this thread in the manner that I have done, and I certainly hope others don't either. As long as we keep our opinions focused on Bond, EON, Craig and the industry rather than targeting specific members here we should be all good.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Did I miss something? Has Annapurna been officially announced as distributor? This article seems to suggest it has. I don't remember that.

"As of now, we know that the next James Bond movie will be distributed domestically by Annapurna Pictures when it debuts in Nov. 8, 2019."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/15/disney-fox-deal-makes-james-bond-the-most-valuable-free-agent-in-hollywood/#3ae2d59f48fe
    @TripAces, good catch. I noticed it too but didn't comment. Folks are taking it as a given, but it's not. There has been no official announcement or confirmation of anything pertaining to distribution of B25, either domestically or internationally.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,443
    Disney bought Fox, but are this also mean there own things Fox share like Dreamworks Animation, Fox Dutch tv channel or bonus material from Bond.

I read earlier Universal/Paramount whant to take Dreamworks Animated back, but Trolls and The Boss Baby are stil released by Fox. Also Kingsman 2 stil will be released by Fox.

If Disney plan to release Disney movies under the flag of Fox like Fox did with Mgm movies, then mabey then deal can be intresting if it mean more extra's. But on this moment i have feeling it be other way around and Kingsman 2 be last Fox movie under there own flag. Iron Man 3 was stil a bit of Paramount movie released by Disney and other way aroumd Narnia 3 stil a Disney movie released by Fox. Narnia 4 will now be Sony movie.

So anyone who doesn't share your opinion is frustrated while you represent the voice of reason and logic? I tell you something, whenever you find yourself on the same side of opinion with Germanlady it's time to seriously re-evaluate your thinking. Apart from having the hots for Daniel there's just nothing that qualifies her as a bond fan.

In all seriousness, please enlighten me as to what qualifies one as a Bond fan. I've seen you use this phrase before on these boards.
  • And it was one particular member who always yelled at him and told him to show his IMDB page and man up or be shamed away as a fake. I think we know whose behaviour is that. But, some people are compelled to pin it on Solace because he doesn’t share their views. Hypocritical, if you ask me.
    Nobody ever yelled at ColonelSun. On the other hand it was ColonelSun who did not understand that essentially saying "I work in the film industry" is not an argument on an anonymous internet forum.
    ColonelSun was bringing us tidbits not found in rags.
    Ok, I will bite: what was the last tidbit Colonel Sun brought us?
    but it has everything to do with disrespectful behaviour.
    ColonelSun's last two comments before his departure: "What a crock of..." and "Seriously??? I won't even waste my time." What do you call these comments if not disrespectful?

@ColonelSun has shared a few detailed stories about the work he did on LTK before and I see no reason not to trust him. Especially if members like @peter have spoken to him outside of here.

Hope he pops back sometime. I always found his posts very insightful and it was nice having someone who actually worked on Bond. I remember he told us once about a longer, more brutal version of Sanchez's death in LTK with an extra line from Dalton. I found that really interesting because that's my favourite Bond film and my favourite scene of the series.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Christoph Waltz will be on 'Live with Kelly and Ryan' and 'The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon' on Wednesday, 20 December.

Not expecting any mention of B25, but you never know with Waltz.
  • BT3366 wrote: »

In all seriousness, please enlighten me as to what qualifies one as a Bond fan. I've seen you use this phrase before on these boards.

Well, a certain fondness for a certain James Bond would strike me as a basic qualification.
    If someone only becomes a Bond fan because he or she is horny for the current actor doesn't make the cut in my opinion.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, @thelivingroyale, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him; quite a gentleman, very humble and funny, great stories about Bond and other films he’s worked on. Not only that, but he’s got some great projects in the hop.

And @PanchitoPistoles: @ColonelSun not only was publicly berated by some forum members, but had some “lovely” pms sent to him.

Yes, he was quite done with bad behaviour.

Once again, this was never about differing opinions, and everything to do with loutish and ignorant behaviour. Yes, express yourself, just do it with Intelligence!

I can't recall who it was myself, without clicking back through the history of this thread, but whoever it was should be bloody ashamed of themselves and needs to have a really good look at themselves in the mirror. I don't think it was Solace, for the record, as I haven't seen anything contentious from him.

I can't recall who it was myself, without clicking back through the history of this thread, but whoever it was should be bloody ashamed of themselves and needs to have a really good look at themselves in the mirror. I don't think it was Solace, for the record, as I haven't seen anything contentious from him.
    Never accused you of anything, @bondsum. I think the one whom I was referring to has emerged himself up there and managed to give a reply in his usual tone.

Never accused you of anything, @bondsum. I think the one whom I was referring to has emerged himself up there and managed to give a reply in his usual tone.
    No worries, I didn't take it that @ClarkDevlin. But I think I know who you mean.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Christoph Waltz will be on 'Live with Kelly and Ryan' and 'The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon' on Wednesday, 20 December.

Not expecting any mention of B25, but you never know with Waltz.

Maybe he will announce his return as blofeld the same way as craig announced his return.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    Did I miss something? Has Annapurna been officially announced as distributor? This article seems to suggest it has. I don't remember that.

"As of now, we know that the next James Bond movie will be distributed domestically by Annapurna Pictures when it debuts in Nov. 8, 2019."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/15/disney-fox-deal-makes-james-bond-the-most-valuable-free-agent-in-hollywood/#3ae2d59f48fe

No, Annapurna has NOT been announced as distributor. If it happens, it's LIKELY (but not yet announced) that a new MGM-Annapurna joint venture will release Bond 25 in the United States and Canada, with another studio PROBABLY (but not yet announced) doing it internationally.