The Westworld Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Westworld S4 Episode 7 I enjoyed the episode and it sets up well enough for the finale, death being meaningless is a major issue and it does feel all a bit muddled and overly convoluted.

Agreed. I can only see major characters die so many times before it loses all impact. This episode should've been huge, considering just how many people die, but it's clear they'll all make a return shortly.

Its definitely better than Season 3 though its still lacking something or I am maybe not fully getting whats going on. No doubt in the Finale there will be a big twist.

It's a bit confusing at times but I'm loving it way more than S3. Some of the new characters are weak or uninteresting and I'll always simply want to return to the beautiful magic and mysterious allure of the parks, but it seems like we're only going to ever get that again in small portions so I've tried to tweak my expectations as the season's progressed. Considering just how "end game" this feels now, though, I'm not sure how much they can play with in the city. I hope we get a full-fledged park return in the final season but won't hold my breath.

The Terminator fight made me roll my eyes, I thought not this again. I think I need to re watch a lot of the show as I think I have forgotten what a lot of the references mean. One thing is certain all the main characters will likely be in Season 5. I liked the City with all the greenery on the giant screens. there is some good futuristic design work in the show.

Yeah the fight scenes in this are consistently atrocious. Sometimes the quality of them (the editing, the choreography), mixed with the terrible green screen backdrops (which were very apparent in the latest episode) have me stunned that it's an HBO production.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Westworld S4 Episode 7 I enjoyed the episode and it sets up well enough for the finale, death being meaningless is a major issue and it does feel all a bit muddled and overly convoluted.

Agreed. I can only see major characters die so many times before it loses all impact. This episode should've been huge, considering just how many people die, but it's clear they'll all make a return shortly.

Its definitely better than Season 3 though its still lacking something or I am maybe not fully getting whats going on. No doubt in the Finale there will be a big twist.

It's a bit confusing at times but I'm loving it way more than S3. Some of the new characters are weak or uninteresting and I'll always simply want to return to the beautiful magic and mysterious allure of the parks, but it seems like we're only going to ever get that again in small portions so I've tried to tweak my expectations as the season's progressed. Considering just how "end game" this feels now, though, I'm not sure how much they can play with in the city. I hope we get a full-fledged park return in the final season but won't hold my breath.

The Terminator fight made me roll my eyes, I thought not this again. I think I need to re watch a lot of the show as I think I have forgotten what a lot of the references mean. One thing is certain all the main characters will likely be in Season 5. I liked the City with all the greenery on the giant screens. there is some good futuristic design work in the show.

Yeah the fight scenes in this are consistently atrocious. Sometimes the quality of them (the editing, the choreography), mixed with the terrible green screen backdrops (which were very apparent in the latest episode) have me stunned that it's an HBO production.

I am still thinking Christina is
    in a different time frame or displaced from reality. Christina constantly looking in mirrors reminds me of the Matrix.

I often wonder if the green screen shots are re shoots, in movies they are very obvious these days it often takes you out of the film/tv show.
    In the last episode, they confirmed that:
    Christina isn't even real. Whether she's in the Sublime or Teddy escaped the Sublime to find "her," whatever she is, I'm honestly not sure. It gets pretty muddled with the details and I'm hoping they clear it up in the next episode. I didn't expect Maeve and Bernard to be in the Sublime like that either.

And you could be right, it wouldn't surprise me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The Finale Promo is certainly ominous, I think I know who Bernard is talking to.

The Finale Promo is certainly ominous, I think I know who Bernard is talking to.

Might it be Christina? Ford perhaps? I'm always waiting for them to bring out Hopkins again.

I'm also dying to figure out if MiB is on a redemption arc or if he's being set up as the main villain for the final season. Every time I think he's coming around with the right answers and to do some good for a change, he's not, and it's irritating.

Don't forget that S2 postcredits scene from the finale, as well, which I'm guessing will come into play in season five and we'll get a very, very big time jump. I could be wrong though.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,263

Might it be Christina? Ford perhaps? I'm always waiting for them to bring out Hopkins again.

I'm also dying to figure out if MiB is on a redemption arc or if he's being set up as the main villain for the final season. Every time I think he's coming around with the right answers and to do some good for a change, he's not, and it's irritating.

Don't forget that S2 postcredits scene from the finale, as well, which I'm guessing will come into play in season five and we'll get a very, very big time jump. I could be wrong though.

I am 90% that its Ford and my thinking is they will swing all the way back to Ford's original intention for creating the host's. I think much of what is going on is by design and part of there evolution as a species.

I am 90% that its Ford and my thinking is they will swing all the way back to Ford's original intention for creating the host's. I think much of what is going on is by design and part of there evolution as a species.

Interesting! I've also been wondering if most of this isn't somehow "in the past" and we're coming full circle to the opening of season one or something. I've no clue how that'd work at all but I could see them pulling out a huge, last second twist like that.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'd like that, to see a prequel within the show somehow. It feels like they've been there, done that, with the future.
    echo wrote: »
    I'd like that, to see a prequel within the show somehow. It feels like they've been there, done that, with the future.

So many converging timelines, jumps to the past and flash forwards to the far, far future, it wouldn't surprise me if they did something like that. I just hope it doesn't all wrap up with "it was all a dream" or "it was all in the Sublime" but I really wouldn't mind seeing the loop come full circle in a way that feels satisfying and needed. Like I said, I've no clue how this "future" stuff could be brought back to the opening of S1 but it'd be so exciting, especially getting to experience once more all the past characters and fan favorites who died.
    Readying myself for the season finale...

Good luck! I wasn't sure what to expect but those final few minutes, if they're hinting at what I think they're hinting at, are the juiciest and most exciting revelations in the last few seasons for me.

Good luck! I wasn't sure what to expect but those final few minutes, if they're hinting at what I think they're hinting at, are the juiciest and most exciting revelations in the last few seasons for me.

Sounds good, going to watch after the football has finished.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

I will create a cinema atmosphere to watch it, it feels like a big deal more so than last seasons finale that's for sure.

I will create a cinema atmosphere to watch it, it feels like a big deal more so than last seasons finale that's for sure.

Oh definitely. I was really buying into where it was going this finale, anticipating it all with way more excitement, whereas last season I knew there wasn't any saving it by the time the last episode arrived.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,263

Oh definitely. I was really buying into where it was going this finale, anticipating it all with way more excitement, whereas last season I knew there wasn't any saving it by the time the last episode arrived.

Good finale though I am still not connecting all the dots. I think my problem is I checked out of Season 3 so I have forgotten certain details also my memory is a bit fuzzy on the sublime.
    The gateway in the Dam to the sublime? That confuses me a bit, does that mean they were in a simulation also and not in the real world.

Clementine was badass, best terminator bot so far I liked the way she was shot and her movement.

I think I need to watch Seasons 2 and 3 again
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I will create a cinema atmosphere to watch it
    Good finale
    So, no random strangers turned up at your house to throw popcorn and yell, "Hey you, down in front!"
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, you and I both; I tuned out a lot in S3 and didn't rewatch it before the release of S4. As to your question though:
    The city was real and the dam housing all that infrastructure and equipment was the location running the Sublime; they said the dam was used as an exterior power source for one of the parks but that's clearly a lie. Halores was hiding it there because she wanted access to it, not simply to destroy it. I believe Bernard opened the portal to the Sublime (not sure what that accomplished, though, honestly, since nobody went in or out that we saw). In the end, Halores wants to save it whereas William wants to destroy it. It ends up being saved, with the portal being closed, and now the implication is that "Dolores" is going to run one final test to truly see if humans and hosts can survive and coexist or whether they're forever destined for ruin and destruction. The vibe I get is her test will be "one last game at Westworld," which lends credit to my theory that we might be truly going back to the beginning and everything we've seen has been a loop in the Sublime all along, even back in S1. It also makes me think we may get to see the return of so many characters that are long gone, which can be annoying but exciting to - "you live as long as the last person who remembers you," that quote Akecheta was spouting in S2 that we've heard several times since makes me think of this possibility.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, you and I both; I tuned out a lot in S3 and didn't rewatch it before the release of S4. As to your question though:
    The city was real and the dam housing all that infrastructure and equipment was the location running the Sublime; they said the dam was used as an exterior power source for one of the parks but that's clearly a lie. Halores was hiding it there because she wanted access to it, not simply to destroy it. I believe Bernard opened the portal to the Sublime (not sure what that accomplished, though, honestly, since nobody went in or out that we saw). In the end, Halores wants to save it whereas William wants to destroy it. It ends up being saved, with the portal being closed, and now the implication is that "Dolores" is going to run one final test to truly see if humans and hosts can survive and coexist or whether they're forever destined for ruin and destruction. The vibe I get is her test will be "one last game at Westworld," which lends credit to my theory that we might be truly going back to the beginning and everything we've seen has been a loop in the Sublime all along, even back in S1. It also makes me think we may get to see the return of so many characters that are long gone, which can be annoying but exciting to - "you live as long as the last person who remembers you," that quote Akecheta was spouting in S2 that we've heard several times since makes me think of this possibility.

Cheers I watched a few recap videos on YouTube which also helped me remember a few details. apparently season 5 has still not been given the green light, surely it will happen soon though i wonder if the merger will impact that.

Cheers I watched a few recap videos on YouTube which also helped me remember a few details. apparently season 5 has still not been given the green light, surely it will happen soon though i wonder if the merger will impact that.

I fear it won't happen due to all the chaos surrounding Discovery/WB of late. They'd be fools to cancel the series with one season to go.

I fear it won't happen due to all the chaos surrounding Discovery/WB of late. They'd be fools to cancel the series with one season to go.

Its seems clear that the writers for some time have a planned ending which is rare. the way Season 4 ended could technically work as an ending to the show i wonder if that was by intention.

It would be a shame as S4 has renewed my interest in the show to the point i will make an effort to revisit the whole series again. This morning I was thinking about buying the remaining series in 4K.

Its seems clear that the writers for some time have a planned ending which is rare. the way Season 4 ended could technically work as an ending to the show i wonder if that was by intention.

It would be a shame as S4 has renewed my interest in the show to the point i will make an effort to revisit the whole series again. This morning I was thinking about buying the remaining series in 4K.

Even the S1 finale, as open-ended as it might seem to some, would've made for a fabulous ending. Since they've made it this far, I really, really hope they're allowed to bring it to a close, since they've had one envisioned from the start.

I'm also interested yet again in rewatching the entire series. It'll make S3 an easier viewing, knowing what to expect and knowing where it goes from there. I might wait and do this closer to the release of S5, provided we get it.
    Why HBO Canceled ‘Westworld’
    Ratings for the pricey drama shrank from 12 million to 4 million.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/why-hbo-canceled-westworld-1235256134/amp/

I am saddened by this.
    I'm very disappointed in HBO for doing this, especially considering the cast is getting paid for S5 anyway. Didn't want to just shell out a bit more to give the series a proper conclusion, one that clearly only had one season remaining? What a waste. This is why my interest in TV has seriously dwindled in the last few years: I absolutely can't stand dedicating years of time and money into a series that doesn't get a proper ending. I'm all about movies anymore and will just start watching shows if they get a genuine finale instead. Crushing.

Regardless, thankfully Lisa Joy has said that if the series isn't picked up elsewhere, she will release in full how the series would've ended.
    I'm very disappointed in HBO for doing this, especially considering the cast is getting paid for S5 anyway. Didn't want to just shell out a bit more to give the series a proper conclusion, one that clearly only had one season remaining? What a waste. This is why my interest in TV has seriously dwindled in the last few years: I absolutely can't stand dedicating years of time and money into a series that doesn't get a proper ending. I'm all about movies anymore and will just start watching shows if they get a genuine finale instead. Crushing.

Regardless, thankfully Lisa Joy has said that if the series isn't picked up elsewhere, she will release in full how the series would've ended.

I was thinking perhaps they may be able to a do a one off TV event to wrap things up on HBO, though that's probably not enough time to complete the story fully.

It would not surprise me if Netflix and Amazon showed an interest.

I agree why bother investing in a story that has no conclusion.
    The kicker for me is they were clearly going back to the park for the final season, which would mean a tighter budget than the previous two seasons, presumably, so why cancel now, especially when it's the final season AND you're paying the top cast $10-15 million each anyway? It's infuriating.

I could see Amazon picking it up to wrap it up, considering they have that new series The Peripheral that's executive produced by the same two showrunners of this series.
    The kicker for me is they were clearly going back to the park for the final season, which would mean a tighter budget than the previous two seasons, presumably, so why cancel now, especially when it's the final season AND you're paying the top cast $10-15 million each anyway? It's infuriating.

I could see Amazon picking it up to wrap it up, considering they have that new series The Peripheral that's executive produced by the same two showrunners of this series.

Lazlo appears to be steam rolling his way through all WB, the previous regime would likely of done a Season 5 I think. Amazon would probably ask for multiple series/spin off's fingers crossed.

Lazlo appears to be steam rolling his way through all WB, the previous regime would likely of done a Season 5 I think. Amazon would probably ask for multiple series/spin off's fingers crossed.

I really wouldn't mind what they wanted to do so long as we got a proper conclusion. It's cancellations like this that leave me entirely jaded with the TV landscape anymore.

I really wouldn't mind what they wanted to do so long as we got a proper conclusion. It's cancellations like this that leave me entirely jaded with the TV landscape anymore.

The Peripheral I noticed on Amazon, not looked at it yet any good?

The Peripheral I noticed on Amazon, not looked at it yet any good?

Neither have I. Neither the trailers nor the cast really grabbed my attention but some of the sci-fi visuals I saw were intriguing. Plus, the underrated Louis Herthum from Westworld plays a bad guy in it so I have to check it out at some point (but if Westworld failed, I'll be surprised if this one lasts a full run).