The Westworld Thread

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Some very ...
    Octopussy-like images in the opening scene of S2, E3.

No doubt! I was awaiting:
    To see Kamal Khan chasing Bond in the background. Very disorienting opening, I loved it. Well now we know of three of the six parks, and the fact that they connect via the waterways.

Also: just noticed that main male character during the opening? That's Mr. Slate from QoS!

I hadn't noticed! What's funny is that while the episode was playing I thought that he might make a pretty decent Bond if they want to continue to breaking the norms for Bond like they did with Craig.

I had the exact same thought before I recognized it was him.

The girl he was with wasn't half bad either...!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Some very ...

To see Kamal Khan chasing Bond in the background. Very disorienting opening, I loved it. Well now we know of three of the six parks, and the fact that they connect via the waterways.

Also: just noticed that main male character during the opening? That's Mr. Slate from QoS!

I hadn't noticed! What's funny is that while the episode was playing I thought that he might make a pretty decent Bond if they want to continue to breaking the norms for Bond like they did with Craig.

That top she was wearing was, let’s say, very eye catching. It appears that she will continue to have a role in the next few episodes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some very ...

That top she was wearing was, let’s say, very eye catching. It appears that she will continue to have a role in the next few episodes.

No doubt. I loved the revelation of seeing that Westworld and The Raj are connected via that dam/waterway. Took me a rewatch for my dumbass to realize the tiger is the same one from the premiere that Bernard and company find on the shore.
    Last night's episode was excellent; some great twists and ideas I hadn't really thought on, and some beats that I had predicted to a degree. Kudos to Peter Mullan, who delivered an absolutely incredible performance as James Delos last night - touching and human, if you can call it as such.

I definitely figured that:
    Grace was William's daughter. Makes me question why she's following in her father's footsteps - does she want revenge? (judging by their initial encounter, I'm guessing not). Does she wish to join him in his quest? Or, perhaps, is she actually the host that Ford had Bernard acquire the memory control unit for in the flashbacks, and she doesn't know it yet? So many possibilities, and while I'm still not digging into theories that'll inevitably be spoilers in hopes of figuring it all out on my own, I cannot wait to see what's in store in the last six episodes.

Also, seems that next week's episode will be the one that's almost entirely in Japanese, which will be very intriguing and refreshing.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Last night's episode was excellent; some great twists and ideas I hadn't really thought on, and some beats that I had predicted to a degree. Kudos to Peter Mullan, who delivered an absolutely incredible performance as James Delos last night - touching and human, if you can call it as such.

I definitely figured that:
    Grace was William's daughter. Makes me question why she's following in her father's footsteps - does she want revenge? (judging by their initial encounter, I'm guessing not). Does she wish to join him in his quest? Or, perhaps, is she actually the host that Ford had Bernard acquire the memory control unit for in the flashbacks, and she doesn't know it yet? So many possibilities, and while I'm still not digging into theories that'll inevitably be spoilers in hopes of figuring it all out on my own, I cannot wait to see what's in store in the last six episodes.

Also, seems that next week's episode will be the one that's almost entirely in Japanese, which will be very intriguing and refreshing.

Indeed, Peter Mullen was very good in his initially confusing scenes. Very touching and then downright disturbing by the finish.

Good to see Elsie make a reappearance and I liked her scenes with Bernard.
    It took me a while to get into this series. Some of the episodes I found too plodding and drawn out with not enough really happening to sustain my interest. Strangely it was Felix Lutz played by Leonardo Nam that draw me in and kept me watching. I still miss not seeing Yul Brynner in this retelling. I hope that maybe further into the development of the series they can do an Arnie and CGI Yul Brynner as a resurrected early prototype. I feel now that S2 has started, things are progressing nicely.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I intentionally allowed the season 2 episodes to pile up so I could binge watch the second series, on episode 3. Unfortunately I think the writers have already run out of idea's it's a bit of a mess too be honest, though there is germination of ideas though barely expanded upon to create a narrative arc within episodes. I hope it improves
    It'll likely get better for you the more you delve in. I know some have had issues with this season, but I think it's great and doing a wonderful job of expanding the plot, world, and possibilities therein.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It'll likely get better for you the more you delve in. I know some have had issues with this season, but I think it's great and doing a wonderful job of expanding the plot, world, and possibilities therein.

I can see what's going on the journey continues for the main protagonists, the Bernard and Delloress scenes are the most interesting and a mirror to humanity. Other elements are not quite working for me
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,338
    Also the fact they set season 2 up with a contrived plot device was very lazy writing, I think they are trying to turn Dellores into a Daenerys type character in episode 3 of season 2.

Edited: watching episode 4 realised one issue I have, I feel
    William has been retconed, I am not buying it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I agree that this second season has been kind of average in comparison, but I really enjoyed the last episode, and the character they focused on. It was emotional. *sniffle*
    QBranch wrote: »
    I agree that this second season has been kind of average in comparison, but I really enjoyed the last episode, and the character they focused on. It was emotional. *sniffle*

I will stick with it the first season was a surprise that caught me off guard, I think my expectations for the second season are perhaps too high.

Yeah that latest episode was one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a long while. Emotional and unexpected.

The issue with a lot of good TV series is that they really are packaged and created as a one-shot run. The creators put their very best into 8-10 episodes. I have seen this plague Stranger Things, The Affair, Bloodline. and 13 Reasons Why. It will likely hamper a second season of Big Little Lies (of which, I ask WHY a second season?) To a degree, House of Lies suffered from this, but not until season 3.

The way the first season of Westworld left off, there was little room to go. Now, what we are seeing are somewhat contrived storylines. Whereas season one was thoroughly planned and executed, we can see that Nolan and Joy quickly had to figure out what would be next. There is still a lot of good in the series, but the second season is a bit chaotic.
    @TripAces, Bloodline is one of the best examples of a talented, promising show going downhill insanely fast. It might've been better had it not gotten canceled, but hot damn I doubt I ever rewatch it, the ending was such a letdown to everything that came before.
    Me, realizing the finale is only two days away:

jadoChCSb_rdv6cL0zQrcmfiNdzPzLQG7LdHwpAAQh0.png?w=560&s=0997d36f163f8d7b6e88e13a3204d4ee
    Me, realizing the finale is only two days away:

jadoChCSb_rdv6cL0zQrcmfiNdzPzLQG7LdHwpAAQh0.png?w=560&s=0997d36f163f8d7b6e88e13a3204d4ee

+1
    @Creasy47 season 1 of Westworld in 4K has just arrived in the post, having a quick look the picture looks phenomenal.
    @Creasy47 season 1 of Westworld in 4K has just arrived in the post, having a quick look the picture looks phenomenal.

Oh absolutely, and I think the second season in 4K is going to look even more astounding. Enjoy!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Nice. Thanks for the update, Creasy. Exciting casting here!
    Nice. Thanks for the update, Creasy. Exciting casting here!

You're very welcome. It's technically not confirmed he'll be a series regular, but I'd be surprised to see him play a cameo part (and to have it announced now would be odd). I wonder if he'll play the part of someone in the real world? Perhaps a new Delos executive. Can't wait to find out!
    Vincent Cassel has joined season three. What an addition to the cast that'll be:

https://deadline.com/2019/04/westworld-vincent-cassel-cast-season-3-hbo-series-villain-series-regular-1202604783/
    Looks jarringly different but I love the cyberpunk feel. Looking forward to what they bring to the table next year.
    Looks jarringly different but I love the cyberpunk feel. Looking forward to what they bring to the table next year.

I am happy with the different look, season 2 on reflection was in some ways a lessor imitation of season 1. Though the outside world may not be the outside world in season 3, this trailer has got me interested.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    ‘Westworld’ season 3 to premiere in first half of 2020 ; Deal in place with the creators for ‘potential’ seasons 4 and 5.

https://www.thewrap.com/westworld-season-3-premiere-date-2020-season-4-5-trailer/
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Westworld season 3 will start airing on March 15th, 2020.

I predicted a March-April release. A ton of great shows releasing/returning in the former half of 2020.