The Westworld Thread

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    This April??? Weren’t they talking about not releasing the next season for another two years?

It's been two years in terms of calendar years. First season premiered in November of 2016, and season two will (likely) premiere April 2018, or at least "Spring 2018".

Wow. Time has flown. It feels like just yesterday Westworld was released. Jonathan Nolan must be writing my life.

Threw me off when I realized it debuted in 2016, too. Doesn't feel anywhere near that long ago.

I'm with you on that. Coming up to two years. Season 1 was superb, looking forward to this
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Full trailer for season two will debut alongside the Super Bowl, making it the first ad HBO has run during the event in 20 years:

http://collider.com/westworld-season-2-teaser-trailer/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 40,456
    Westworld season 2 premieres April 22nd at 9PM:

A slightly revised trailer incorporates a few new footage shots, including one of Delos and a bloodied Maeve:

https://discoverwestworld.com/ourworld/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    After Season One's title of The Maze, Season Two is The Door:

http://collider.com/westworld-season-2-title-mystery-clue/
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Anticipation is high. Might rewatch season 1
    WW-s2-poster-700x1040.jpg
    New trailer arriving tomorrow at 11 AM ET:

https://www.facebook.com/WestworldHBO/videos/2095577154045000/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,869

Great trailer :D I've always thought Talulah Riley (Angela) would make a great Bond girl, just look at the shot at 2:05!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Just watched season one and was well impressed. Some great ideas and very Blade Runnerish in places.

Great cast and some superb performances.

Very labyrinth plot and you really have to keep up. Couldn't quite understand how guests were getting hurt when its made clear at the start host's can't harm them. Also don't like it when characters are made idiots to further the plot.

But overall brilliant television.
    Just watched season one and was well impressed. Some great ideas and very Blade Runnerish in places.

Very labyrinth plot and you really have to keep up. Couldn't quite understand how guests were getting hurt when its made clear at the start host's can't harm them. Also don't like it when characters are made idiots to further the plot.

Hosts CAN cause harm, albeit a slight amount - slapping, hitting, etc. They note that the further you walk from the center of the park, the more dangerous and raw and lifelike it all gets. It's also noted that guests have died in the park - falling objects, falling off a cliff, human vs. human violence, etc. So technically, you do run the risk of never leaving the park by signing up to visit.

What instances of characters being made into idiots to further the plot did you not care for? There could be an answer to it you overlooked, as the show is quite in-depth and does demand numerous viewings to really grasp it all.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Hosts CAN cause harm, albeit a slight amount - slapping, hitting, etc. They note that the further you walk from the center of the park, the more dangerous and raw and lifelike it all gets. It's also noted that guests have died in the park - falling objects, falling off a cliff, human vs. human violence, etc. So technically, you do run the risk of never leaving the park by signing up to visit.

What instances of characters being made into idiots to further the plot did you not care for? There could be an answer to it you overlooked, as the show is quite in-depth and does demand numerous viewings to really grasp it all.

I didn't realize it was more dangerous the further you went from the centre of the park, which is a cool idea I missed.

It was the two idiots in the repair dept that I didn't care for. Letting an android blackmail them. And it seemed a bit too easy to change important parameters on an android without stringent security checks.

Small nitpicks in a mostly brilliant series.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,456
    @LeonardPine, agreed, they were both dumb in that regard. If it was genuinely an issue of such concern, they should've irreversibly shut her down and been done with it. Alas, if that occurred, we wouldn't have seen Maive's big story arc in the last few episodes, so what can ya do.

The only explanation I'd have for the altered parameters is Ford overseeing their progress; he knew exactly what Maive would do, and set her up this entire time so she could learn to make her own choices and follow her own path, so I like to think he had a hand in ensuring nobody else caught on to what the two techs were involved in with her. You're right, with a place so hi-tech and worth so much money, you'd think the security alerts would've been much greater in that regard.

And yes, one of the first episodes mentions that it gets a lot more wild the further you venture out. It's why when Dolores and the Young MiB arrive in Escalante, there are slaves, people getting their asses kicked, wild orgies, etc.
    Looking forward to new series, I am being good and avoiding any further trailers etc i want to know as little as possible.
    Looking forward to new series, I am being good and avoiding any further trailers etc i want to know as little as possible.

After today's trailer (watched it via HBO Now on my 4K TV, looks stunning), I needn't see any more until the premiere. I felt the footage thus far was great at showcasing what to expect this season without being too over-the-top in spoiler territory. Cannot wait to see what they've come up with.

After today's trailer (watched it via HBO Now on my 4K TV, looks stunning), I needn't see any more until the premiere. I felt the footage thus far was great at showcasing what to expect this season without being too over-the-top in spoiler territory. Cannot wait to see what they've come up with.

That's good with trailers the way they are now certainly with films key things I find get shown, and in many cases it's easy to guess what's going to happen.
    Tonight, it returns. Going to rewatch the finale before it begins, because why not?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Season 2, Ep, 1 left me with more questions, rather than answers. This is a good thing.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Season 2, Ep, 1 left me with more questions, rather than answers. This is a good thing.

Indeed. Only this time, I want the answers revealed via my own connections or the actual show unveiling them; avoiding theories this time, as most of the ones I read for season one proved right and spoiled big twists numerous episodes in advance.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Westworld officially renewed for a 3rd season by HBO.
    Westworld officially renewed for a 3rd season by HBO.

Where in the “world” are they gonna take this?
    Not watched the new episodes yet, letting them stack up I'll probably watch the first three episodes next Monday.
    Not watched the new episodes yet, letting them stack up I'll probably watch the first three episodes next Monday.

It's real great so far, doing a good job of proposing more questions and ideas while simultaneously answering others. It's a wonderful mix. Score is somehow even better this season, too.
  • NSGWNSGW London

Same, if I have the willpower I may save them all up for a weekend binge.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Some very ...
    Octopussy-like images in the opening scene of S2, E3.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 40,456
    Some very ...

No doubt! I was awaiting:
    To see Kamal Khan chasing Bond in the background. Very disorienting opening, I loved it. Well now we know of three of the six parks, and the fact that they connect via the waterways.

Also: just noticed that main male character during the opening? That's Mr. Slate from QoS!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Some very ...

To see Kamal Khan chasing Bond in the background. Very disorienting opening, I loved it. Well now we know of three of the six parks, and the fact that they connect via the waterways.

Also: just noticed that main male character during the opening? That's Mr. Slate from QoS!

I hadn't noticed! What's funny is that while the episode was playing I thought that he might make a pretty decent Bond if they want to continue to breaking the norms for Bond like they did with Craig.
    Some very ...

I hadn't noticed! What's funny is that while the episode was playing I thought that he might make a pretty decent Bond if they want to continue to breaking the norms for Bond like they did with Craig.

I had the exact same thought before I recognized it was him.