The Westworld Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, indeed! Those were early days, though; I could tell that Herthum was flooded with more and more messages that he simply didn't have the time to respond to so he dropped off more and more. It's understandable and I was more than grateful to get that opportunity.

His performance in that premiere is really outstanding; it takes a lot of talent to do a one-on-one scene with Anthony Hopkins and somehow find a way to upstage him.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, indeed! Those were early days, though; I could tell that Herthum was flooded with more and more messages that he simply didn't have the time to respond to so he dropped off more and more. It's understandable and I was more than grateful to get that opportunity.

His performance in that premiere is really outstanding; it takes a lot of talent to do a one-on-one scene with Anthony Hopkins and somehow find a way to upstage him.

Agreed Hopkins would have elevated everyone else's performances, since he left they have not had anyone involved of his gravitas.

Ed Harris is the closest though get very little screen time and some of his material has not been the best.

Agreed Hopkins would have elevated everyone else's performances, since he left they have not had anyone involved of his gravitas.

Ed Harris is the closest though get very little screen time and some of his material has not been the best.

I keep expecting another return from him this season. He's still active and it's clear the show loves to reintroduce him when fans least expect it.

Harris is fantastic, I hope he gets a nice redemption arc this season and isn't relegated to an evil host/human hybrid doing the bidding of everyone else. I enjoyed him on his own, solo adventures throughout the park much more than what he's worked with in the last season and a half.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I keep expecting another return from him this season. He's still active and it's clear the show loves to reintroduce him when fans least expect it.

Harris is fantastic, I hope he gets a nice redemption arc this season and isn't relegated to an evil host/human hybrid doing the bidding of everyone else. I enjoyed him on his own, solo adventures throughout the park much more than what he's worked with in the last season and a half.

Harris's character does feel very muddled now as does many of the other characters. Its never good when every time someone appears on screen I am trying to remember who it is, are they human, are they actually just using another hosts body. It takes you completely out of the story.

Admittedly the gap between season 3 and 4 did not help, I really feel like I needed to watch the first 3 season's again just to get up to to speed.

I will talk about the third episode when you have seen it, I think there is a good possibility that any character could return based on something that was said.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The time bending was fun in season one. Now it just feels like an endless gimmick. Do I care who is in which storyline?
    echo wrote: »
    The time bending was fun in season one. Now it just feels like an endless gimmick. Do I care who is in which storyline?

That is a problem I am having, during the last episode I rolled my eyes a few times and thought to myself 'Do I even care?'.
    Westworld Episode 4 Interesting episode, midway through I realised what was going on.
    Westworld Episode 4 Interesting episode, midway through I realised what was going on.

I caught up on Sunday but didn't see Sunday's latest episode. I might check it out tonight. Episode 3 was an improvement but it all seems a bit too heavy-handed now. I loved the return to the park and the Westworld massacre being incorporated into a new park and game but how does this new park function? It seemed like Maeve and Caleb went underneath that theater stage and then they're suddenly on a train to the new park?
    Ugh, this last episode. I love Thandiwe Newton and Jeffrey Wright but this show has no stakes anymore. They feel like stakes but they're just...brain teasers.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,271
    Episode 4 was OK the ending kind of saved it though the writers are running on empty. Episode 4 has actualy prompted me to rewatch Episode 1, so that's a positive.
    It sounds like S5 will be the least so hopefully we're nearly in end game territory now. For me, the show simply lost its luster and appeal when it left the park. I don't think they could've stretched an overarching narrative solely within the park for all that time but I really don't care for the real world politics and brand new characters that make little impact. I'll see it through to the end but I'm not gasping and dying for the next episode like I was in seasons one and two.
    For me, the show simply lost its luster and appeal when it left the park.

Has it? ;)

echo wrote: »
    For me, the show simply lost its luster and appeal when it left the park.

Has it? ;)

Touche! Those were my hopes in season three that seemingly didn't pan out. I think showing every aspect of it all as being part of the park would make me enjoy it more in hindsight.
    I finally caught last week's episode, that's certainly the most consequential episode of the season yet. I think the twist involving
    Caleb being a host

was pretty clear, glad they didn't drag it out for the rest of the season. It's a shame the
    deaths of Host William and Maeve are rather superfluous, would've made a bigger impact if one was done for good

Other than that, a very solid episode, and I like where Charlotte's story is clearly heading. I just hope Hale isn't lurking around in the same format come the final season, I don't want her being the big bad all this time.
    I'm finally caught up in full now and I have to admit, the show feels like it's finally back on track to me. The twists involving the city, the endless questions about the nature of reality, the embittered and pensive battle the Host MiB now has with himself, it's all so exciting. I'm back to loving it and hope the last few episodes of this season can keep up the mystery and momentum.
    Death has become almost meaningless in this show.
    I keep thinking Hale is still Dolores 😂

The actor playing Caleb looks unwell looks like he is thinner? I never watched breaking bad was he always that skinny?

Not had chance to watch the newest episode, hopefully will tomorrow.

The actor playing Caleb looks unwell looks like he is thinner? I never watched breaking bad was he always that skinny?

Not had chance to watch the newest episode, hopefully will tomorrow.

I had a spoiler comment written up but then noticed you hadn't seen the new episode yet; I think your own spoiler tag is touched upon in a sense in the latest one.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 5,964
    I think yes?
    Westworld S4 Episode 5 Best episode of the season so far, its back on track. I do like the industrial type score very eerie.
    I was getting Matrix Resurrection vibes a lot.

All the cast put in good performances especially Ed Harris, there were some genuinely sinister scenes, this episode does further illustrate what a waste of time S3 was.

Westworld S4 Episode 5 Best episode of the season so far, its back on track. I do like the industrial type score very eerie.

All the cast put in good performances especially Ed Harris, there were some genuinely sinister scenes, this episode does further illustrate what a waste of time S3 was.

The last two episodes have gotten things back on track, back to S1 and 2 levels of intrigue. I can't wait for Sunday now.

The last two episodes have gotten things back on track, back to S1 and 2 levels of intrigue. I can't wait for Sunday now.

I thought I was watching a classic science fiction film at times, its easily some of the best acting I have seen from Tessa Thompson.

I thought I was watching a classic science fiction film at times, its easily some of the best acting I have seen from Tessa Thompson.

Oh yeah she's been really brilliant this season, so disgustingly sinister yet mysterious. I'm really excited to see how things work from here on out between her and the Host MiB. The conversation between the host and the real version was so exciting to me, back to S1 levels of introspection.

Oh yeah she's been really brilliant this season, so disgustingly sinister yet mysterious. I'm really excited to see how things work from here on out between her and the Host MiB. The conversation between the host and the real version was so exciting to me, back to S1 levels of introspection.

Thankfully the show has delivered at the right time, I am happy there is still 3 episodes remaining. Human or host I like the fact the nature of reality and purpose is being questioned.
    Westworld S4 Episode 6 another good episode with effective psychological horror.

Maybe I have forgotten something, why doesn't
    Hale make a new body for herself?
    Westworld S4 Episode 6 another good episode with effective psychological horror.

Maybe I have forgotten something, why doesn't
    Hale make a new body for herself?

I don't think she has a need to because it won't change anything for her (though I'm eager to hear why her scarring from the explosion is suddenly bleeding the way it is).

This latest episode wasn't as strong as the last two but it seems a great set-up for the final two of the season. Looking forward to seeing where it goes and how it leaves off before the final season.
    Westworld S4 Episode 7 I enjoyed the episode and it sets up well enough for the finale, death being meaningless is a major issue and it does feel all a bit muddled and overly convoluted.
    Westworld S4 Episode 7 I enjoyed the episode and it sets up well enough for the finale, death being meaningless is a major issue and it does feel all a bit muddled and overly convoluted.

Agreed. I can only see major characters die so many times before it loses all impact. This episode should've been huge, considering just how many people die, but it's clear they'll all make a return shortly.

Agreed. I can only see major characters die so many times before it loses all impact. This episode should've been huge, considering just how many people die, but it's clear they'll all make a return shortly.

Its definitely better than Season 3 though its still lacking something or I am maybe not fully getting whats going on. No doubt in the Finale there will be a big twist.

Its definitely better than Season 3 though its still lacking something or I am maybe not fully getting whats going on. No doubt in the Finale there will be a big twist.

It's a bit confusing at times but I'm loving it way more than S3. Some of the new characters are weak or uninteresting and I'll always simply want to return to the beautiful magic and mysterious allure of the parks, but it seems like we're only going to ever get that again in small portions so I've tried to tweak my expectations as the season's progressed. Considering just how "end game" this feels now, though, I'm not sure how much they can play with in the city. I hope we get a full-fledged park return in the final season but won't hold my breath.

It's a bit confusing at times but I'm loving it way more than S3. Some of the new characters are weak or uninteresting and I'll always simply want to return to the beautiful magic and mysterious allure of the parks, but it seems like we're only going to ever get that again in small portions so I've tried to tweak my expectations as the season's progressed. Considering just how "end game" this feels now, though, I'm not sure how much they can play with in the city. I hope we get a full-fledged park return in the final season but won't hold my breath.

The Terminator fight made me roll my eyes, I thought not this again. I think I need to re watch a lot of the show as I think I have forgotten what a lot of the references mean. One thing is certain all the main characters will likely be in Season 5. I liked the City with all the greenery on the giant screens. there is some good futuristic design work in the show.