The Westworld Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2022 Posts: 23,270
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The kicker for me is they were clearly going back to the park for the final season, which would mean a tighter budget than the previous two seasons, presumably, so why cancel now, especially when it's the final season AND you're paying the top cast $10-15 million each anyway? It's infuriating.

I could see Amazon picking it up to wrap it up, considering they have that new series The Peripheral that's executive produced by the same two showrunners of this series.

Lazlo appears to be steam rolling his way through all WB, the previous regime would likely of done a Season 5 I think. Amazon would probably ask for multiple series/spin off's fingers crossed.

I really wouldn't mind what they wanted to do so long as we got a proper conclusion. It's cancellations like this that leave me entirely jaded with the TV landscape anymore.

The Peripheral I noticed on Amazon, not looked at it yet any good?

Neither have I. Neither the trailers nor the cast really grabbed my attention but some of the sci-fi visuals I saw were intriguing. Plus, the underrated Louis Herthum from Westworld plays a bad guy in it so I have to check it out at some point (but if Westworld failed, I'll be surprised if this one lasts a full run).

Just finished work I will watch some of the first episode now. The cast did not grab me either, though I am a fan of science fiction.

I think with a market so saturated the likelihood of any show having a long run is few and far between these days. Mini series appears to be the way forward, I guess the less episodes in a shows run the better chance of sustained high quality.

Edited: The Peripheral based on a novel by William Gibson that's peaked my interest. Executive Producer and Directing a few episodes is Vincenzo Natali whom I am a big fan of, he directed two of my favorite films in the genre Cube and Cypher. Vincenzo has directed episodes of Westworld.
    ---
    Good Pilot episode I was not expecting that at all.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Honestly, it feels like it was time creatively for it to go. The last two seasons were a muddle.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2022 Posts: 23,270
    echo wrote: »
    Honestly, it feels like it was time creatively for it to go. The last two seasons were a muddle.

I thought season 4 was an improvement on 3 and got my interest back into the show, I would have liked to see what the writers had in store for the end of the series.

Overall the show has been erratic.

---
    Just watched the second episode of The Peripheral I am realty liking this series intelligent and very intriguing.
    David Zaslav’s Next Big TV Licensing Pivot Begins
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/david-zaslav-s-next-big-tv-licensing-pivot-begins/ar-AA15kYrf

Westworld, once considered a prized piece of HBO’s portfolio, has become the poster child for how the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros. Discovery is trying to get its cash flowing again. The quasianthology series from Lisa Joy and Jonah Nolan is being removed from HBO Max as sources say that Warner Bros. Discovery execs are seeking new ways to monetize the drama, whose fourth and now final season clocked in north of $160 million...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm just mad that the show was clearly returning to the park, finally, and now we won't get to enjoy that. I think this is the final "nail in the coffin" for me when it comes to bothering with new TV series. I've been let down too many times in the last five years with shows I love that get the boot. It's a tiring waste of time.
    I'm just mad that the show was clearly returning to the park, finally, and now we won't get to enjoy that. I think this is the final "nail in the coffin" for me when it comes to bothering with new TV series. I've been let down too many times in the last five years with shows I love that get the boot. It's a tiring waste of time.

Warner seem desperate to raise cash and it's us the viewers who are suffering.

They can hope to raise even more with all the viewers who will inevitably cancel HBO, it would seem. Their loss.

They can hope to raise even more with all the viewers who will inevitably cancel HBO, it would seem. Their loss.

With all the show's they appear to be discarding, it will be an easy decision for viewers to leave the service.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Thread revival:
    My Son & I recently watched season one for the first time, and I have to say this was some mesmerizing stuff. Final episode was a total mind-spin.
    Getting ready to watch season two (can't stop after THAT cliffhanger in one), but from what I've read on Reddit season two is where I should stop because after that they leave the park and pursue Futureworld ideas.... thoughts on this stopping point-?

I saw the original movie in the theatre when I was a kid and it's still one of my all-time favourites, so this series took some getting used to but once Delores strapped on that gun I was all in.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Thread revival:
    My Son & I recently watched season one for the first time, and I have to say this was some mesmerizing stuff. Final episode was a total mind-spin.
    Getting ready to watch season two (can't stop after THAT cliffhanger in one), but from what I've read on Reddit season two is where I should stop because after that they leave the park and pursue Futureworld ideas.... thoughts on this stopping point-?

I saw the original movie in the theatre when I was a kid and it's still one of my all-time favourites, so this series took some getting used to but once Delores strapped on that gun I was all in.

Season 3 is not very good though Season 4 got the show back on track then it was abruptly canceled. The way Season 4 ends can act as a adequate overall ending I won't say anymore.
    Thread revival:

Season 3 is not very good though Season 4 got the show back on track then it was abruptly canceled. The way Season 4 ends can act as a adequate overall ending I won't say anymore.

Thanks my friend. I'll see how I feel after the end of season two.
    Thread revival:

I think I'd still rank S1 as one of the strongest introductions to a series I've ever watched. The pilot is perfect through and through. S2 still has a lot of excitement and mystery but it falls off there. S3 was horrible and not mysterious or alluring enough. S4 was about the same but slightly better in quality and consistency.

What pisses me off the most is S5, the final one, was clearly going back to what I loved about the show in the first place and now we'll never get that ending in any format apparently. Lisa Joy even flirted with the idea of releasing scripts or at least a general outline of what would've happened...and never did it. This was the final cancelation that made me jaded about the future of TV. I haven't started a new show since it got canceled and doubt I will anytime soon.
    Thread revival:

I think I'd still rank S1 as one of the strongest introductions to a series I've ever watched. The pilot is perfect through and through. S2 still has a lot of excitement and mystery but it falls off there. S3 was horrible and not mysterious or alluring enough. S4 was about the same but slightly better in quality and consistency.

What pisses me off the most is S5, the final one, was clearly going back to what I loved about the show in the first place and now we'll never get that ending in any format apparently. Lisa Joy even flirted with the idea of releasing scripts or at least a general outline of what would've happened...and never did it. This was the final cancelation that made me jaded about the future of TV. I haven't started a new show since it got canceled and doubt I will anytime soon.

I would be happy with an animated series of Westworld S5 at this point.

I still have not finished season 1 of Peripheral though I think that show has now been canceled, its difficult to be motivated to watch shows when they may just abruptly end.

I watched season 1 of a murder mystery show recently it ended on a cliff hanger so the murderer was not revealed, then when I looked to see when season 2 was due the show had been canceled. Canceling shows early is becoming far more common.
    Hell, they already had to pay the entire S5 principal cast so I wish they would've steamed through, sucked it up, and gave fans a proper sendoff still.

I didn't bother with Peripheral because I knew it wouldn't last long if Westworld didn't even get a conclusion. Sure enough, one season in and it's been canned.
    Two episodes into WW season 2 and I'm still intrigued. Honestly, it's not as flat-out great as the original movie, but it's a fascinating today take on it, so far.
    Two episodes into WW season 2 and I'm still intrigued. Honestly, it's not as flat-out great as the original movie, but it's a fascinating today take on it, so far.

I checked the movie out sometime in the last two years and had a really, really fun time with it.

I checked the movie out sometime in the last two years and had a really, really fun time with it.

Chrichton really blasted on to the movie stage with Westworld. Can't beat the casting of James Broilin & Richard Benjamin. And of course it influenced The Terminator heavily a decade later.

More on my series watch- season 2 ep 3 was very cool, although in the back of my mind I'm feeling a bit like I'm watching stuff being made up as they go... it has gone from a thinking person's SF in the first season to more of a pulp SF actioner. Which is not bad, just a bit less fascinating. But hey, seven more eps to go- it may get great (or better) at the end.
    I have Westworld and Futureworld on Bluray, the former especially Yul Brynner scared me as a kid, that Android was very much the first of it kind. I am a huge fan of Chrichton's The Andromeda Strain, Robert Wise's movue adaption is one of my favourite science fiction films. I love and own many 50's and 60's sci fi films though the late 60's and 70's ushered in a more realistic darker tone which Crighton greatly influenced.
    I have Westworld and Futureworld on Bluray, the former especially Yul Brynner scared me as a kid, that Android was very much the first of it kind. I am a huge fan of Chrichton's The Andromeda Strain, Robert Wise's movie adaption is one of my favourite science fiction films. I love and own many 50's and 60's sci fi films though the late 60's and 70's ushered in a more realistic darker tone which Crighton greatly influenced.

I found Futureworld basically unwatchable.
    OTOH, Andromeda Strain is a freakin' MASTERPIECE.
    Jurassic Park is very good.
    I have Westworld and Futureworld on Bluray, the former especially Yul Brynner scared me as a kid, that Android was very much the first of it kind. I am a huge fan of Chrichton's The Andromeda Strain, Robert Wise's movie adaption is one of my favourite science fiction films. I love and own many 50's and 60's sci fi films though the late 60's and 70's ushered in a more realistic darker tone which Crighton greatly influenced.

I found Futureworld basically unwatchable.
    OTOH, Andromeda Strain is a freakin' MASTERPIECE.
    Jurassic Park is very good.

The production value on Futureworld is very poor, alas Peter Fonda lacks any of the talent of his father and sister or daughter.
    I had today off, and I marathoned the rest of season 2. Just finished.
    It's like I had an unending Twilight Zone nightmare (in almost a good sense).
    I enjoyed (the right word-?) it, but I feel like I don't understand my world anymore.
    I need to recover, but I guess that means it was pretty good at what it was doing.
    A perfect ending, though.
    I need a beer....
    I enjoyed (the right word-?) it, but I feel like I don't understand my world anymore.
    I need to recover, but I guess that means it was pretty good at what it was doing.
    I need a beer....

Yeah I must admit I did not immediately pick up on the twist though if memory serves it was a bit convoluted. Season 2 I should definitely watch again soon to see how well the pieces fit together.

Season 3 is not all bad I would give it a go as Season 4 will make it worthwhile.
    I need a beer....

Yeah I must admit I did not immediately pick up on the twist though if memory serves it was a bit convoluted. Season 2 I should definitely watch again soon to see how well the pieces fit together.

Season 3 is not all bad I would give it a go as Season 4 will make it worthwhile.

Thanks, but this season two ending is just perfect. She escapes, but at a high price. I know where season 3 & 4 go, and I really don't need it. I own the blu rays of both The Matrix and Beneath The Planet Of The Apes. The first two seasons are about Westworld. ;)
    The first two seasons were the best for experiencing a really gripping underlying mystery. I didn't feel that with the more recent two. Glad you found S2 to have a perfect ending though, @chrisisall, because I felt the same and was riding high on that going into S3 (which was a major letdown across the board in the end).

Did you get to see the mid-credits/post-credits scene? It's wild that they went THAT far into the future so early on but we never got to come back to it or see what happened with it. It was a huge tease, as is never knowing where S5 would've went.
    The first two seasons were the best for experiencing a really gripping underlying mystery. I didn't feel that with the more recent two. Glad you found S2 to have a perfect ending though, @chrisisall, because I felt the same and was riding high on that going into S3 (which was a major letdown across the board in the end).

Did you get to see the mid-credits/post-credits scene? It's wild that they went THAT far into the future so early on but we never got to come back to it or see what happened with it. It was a huge tease, as is never knowing where S5 would've went.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Future Man In Black (William) is in an android (host) body, it seems, and is being tested by a version of his daughter just like he tested Delos. But his hand is still missing fingers and he's still shot up, like he was back when he was a real boy.... Kind of a fitting Hell for him, eh? Too much potential to unpack there.
    This 90 minute last episode felt like they didn't know if there would be a third season, so they gave it the feel of an ending. Like the ending of The Matrix.
    Very fitting Hell indeed. I love the implications of it and that he technically got his wish in the end. It's maddening stuff. It's just interesting that we got a glimpse into the future, possibly hundreds or thousands of years on. I was really interested in seeing the showrunners infuse that into whatever the finale would've involved.
    Very fitting Hell indeed. I love the implications of it and that he technically got his wish in the end. It's maddening stuff. It's just interesting that we got a glimpse into the future, possibly hundreds or thousands of years on. I was really interested in seeing the showrunners infuse that into whatever the finale would've involved.

This is an interesting article on Westworld after season 4...
    https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/what-would-westworld-season-5-have-looked-like/
    I think S5 would've been the best we had since S2. A return to the park mixed with more philosophical waxing and a story that I feel would've brought us full circle and propelled us far into the future at the same time? Infuriates me thinking about what could've been.
    I think S5 would've been the best we had since S2. A return to the park mixed with more philosophical waxing and a story that I feel would've brought us full circle and propelled us far into the future at the same time? Infuriates me thinking about what could've been.

Hey. Is Westworld a sort of prequel to The Matrix-??

Hey. Is Westworld a sort of prequel to The Matrix-??

S5 ends with someone waking up from a loop and they're suddenly on the Nebuchadnezzar and being greeted by Morpheus. Sign me up.