The Westworld Thread

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    In the meantime, we have The Outsider.

If you missed the first two episodes, go back and watch. It is riveting.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Waiting on the girlfriend for The Outsider, will likely catch the latest episodes the following weekend so I'll be a bit behind. Can't wait.

The New Pope, which I've waited years for, premieres tonight, too. HBO has been killing it lately.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2020 Posts: 23,263

Spoilers This trailer shows maybe too much
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Westworld renewed for a 4th season, with plans already set for seasons 5 and 6.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/westworld-renewed-season-4-at-hbo-1291307
    With Lisa and Jonathan staying on as showrunners for the entire running, I couldn't be happier about this news.
    How are they going to fix this mess? LOL
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Still not watched any of season 3, I really am going to have to binge watch it on Sunday.
    Still not watched any of season 3, I really am going to have to binge watch it on Sunday.

It is straying into areas I am finding uninteresting. It's still good TV, but I miss the original premise.
    TripAces wrote: »

It is straying into areas I am finding uninteresting. It's still good TV, but I miss the original premise.

I definitely yearn for more of the park-focused narratives but I'm still loving this season and it's gotten better and better, particularly William's storyline. Can't wait for the next episode.
    I have just binged season 3, I was quite engrossed in the first six episodes in fact really enjoyed them, then the show fell off a cliff.
    I have just binged season 3, I was quite engrossed in the first six episodes in fact really enjoyed them, then the show fell off a cliff.

Easily the weakest season of the three, by far. Didn't care for several of the directions and character outcomes they made and the reality setting grew stale after a couple of episodes. Nolan is teasing that season four is radically different, though, and the season as a whole wasn't a complete waste so I'm very excited to see what will come next.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 23,263
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Easily the weakest season of the three, by far. Didn't care for several of the directions and character outcomes they made and the reality setting grew stale after a couple of episodes. Nolan is teasing that season four is radically different, though, and the season as a whole wasn't a complete waste so I'm very excited to see what will come next.

The only thing in the finale I found interesting was the post credit sequence.

The themes of duality and nature vs nurture could have been done much better.

The fact there was only 8 episodes suggested to me they were thin on material, and it showed in the writing in some episodes.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 40,449
    Personally, I really want to see the series return to the park in a much more consistent and present fashion. The real world stuff just wasn't cutting it for me in terms of mystery and intrigue. It all felt very empty and plain at times for such a futuristic setting.
    Personally, I really want to see the series return to the park in a much more consistent and present fashion. The real world stuff just wasn't cutting it for me in terms of mystery and intrigue. It all felt very empty and plain at times for such a futuristic setting.

I think they missed a good opportunity with the show in that the outside future world could have been part of the illusion.

The show is exploring systems of control unfortunately its been done better in films like the Matrix.

The end of Season 3 at times just reminded me of a bad Terminator film.
    That's the exact twist I was waiting for the entire season, was let down when it didn't come to fruition. Then we still have the future-William storyline that they were running, but now that's seemingly not the case with the final twist involving his character.

Yes, the action sequences, too, gave me vibes of a bad Terminator film. The series is better when it waxes philosophical than trying to give us dull gunfights where no one is competent beyond the hosts.
    That's the exact twist I was waiting for the entire season, was let down when it didn't come to fruition. Then we still have the future-William storyline that they were running, but now that's seemingly not the case with the final twist involving his character.

Yes, the action sequences, too, gave me vibes of a bad Terminator film. The series is better when it waxes philosophical than trying to give us dull gunfights where no one is competent beyond the hosts.

With too many central characters killed off, I feel less for there counterfeit versions. Death in the show is pretty much meaningless now.

With too many central characters killed off, I feel less for there counterfeit versions. Death in the show is pretty much meaningless now.

That's how I feel, and pondering about the identities of those mind spheres that Dolores took at the end of season two, only for the twist to unveil who they were was incredibly underwhelming to me. I'm not sure what great mystery they could craft for a return to the park but that's what I want to see. The show is infinitely more entertaining there. If we get season four sticking around in the real world, I won't be as invested.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 23,263

That's how I feel, and pondering about the identities of those mind spheres that Dolores took at the end of season two, only for the twist to unveil who they were was incredibly underwhelming to me. I'm not sure what great mystery they could craft for a return to the park but that's what I want to see. The show is infinitely more entertaining there. If we get season four sticking around in the real world, I won't be as invested.
    It would have been far more intriguing if the spheres were different characters reveled through out the season.

The man in black appears to be taking on the Yul Bryner character for real now, therefore a genuine threat to Dolores, Mave I was never convinced by, her character is unfocused for me, her obsession with her fake child is a bit thin now considering everything she now knows.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, that's exactly what I was awaiting for several episodes. The way it was set up, that's what most fans were theorizing about for over a year, just to be let down with that twist. Having said that, I am also glad that they took a more unique route with it and the season as a whole, so it was more of a unique vision rather than something overly twisty meant to simply confuse Redditors and fans alike.
    William was my favorite character so having him not only choose to NOT help the hosts but also inevitably dying and now being replaced with a true villain in a host version of him really bums me out. Can't wait to see him chew the scenery again since his role this season was rather shortened (but still fantastic), but it's definitely not the direction I was hoping they'd take him at all.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, that's exactly what I was awaiting for several episodes. The way it was set up, that's what most fans were theorizing about for over a year, just to be let down with that twist. Having said that, I am also glad that they took a more unique route with it and the season as a whole, so it was more of a unique vision rather than something overly twisty meant to simply confuse Redditors and fans alike.
    William was my favorite character so having him not only choose to NOT help the hosts but also inevitably dying and now being replaced with a true villain in a host version of him really bums me out. Can't wait to see him chew the scenery again since his role this season was rather shortened (but still fantastic), but it's definitely not the direction I was hoping they'd take him at all.

One particular William episode was great, you will know which one.

A character that fell flat for me was the new addition, the actor from Breaking Bad, he just seems to do the same pain face. I never really bought into the lofty position that the show was trying to convince us that he had attained.
    HBO has renewed WW for two more seasons.

A character that fell flat for me was the new addition, the actor from Breaking Bad, he just seems to do the same pain face. I never really bought into the lofty position that the show was trying to convince us that he had attained.

Yes, lots of confused brooding from Paul this season, didn't really add much to the grand picture and I'm not terribly excited for where they're apparently painting his character to go.

Yes, lots of confused brooding from Paul this season, didn't really add much to the grand picture and I'm not terribly excited for where they're apparently painting his character to go.

Its never a good start when as a viewer you are distracted by his wig, and his multiple flashback hair cuts just made the wig more apparent. lol

Joking aside I do feel like we are literally where we were at the end of season 2, I am not sure what happens next, hopefully the writers will surprise us.

With the announcement of a further two seasons at this point I struggle to see the show lasting longer than five.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have never seen this show, but have bookmarked it now. Seems interesting.
    I have never seen this show, but have bookmarked it now. Seems interesting.

Season one is great definately worth anyone's time.
    Only ever seen the old original movie with Yul Brinner! Classic!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Only ever seen the old original movie with Yul Brinner! Classic!

I saw it for the first time a little while back and loved it!
    I have Westworld and Future World on dvd, the Sequel was not the greatest.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2020 Posts: 45,489
    I started on this, but gave up. Jonathan Nolan s involvement was what intrigued me about it, but I just got bored. It didn t appeal to me.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I started on this, but gave up. Jonathan Nolan s involvement was what intrigued me about it, but I just got bored. It didn t appeal to me.

Nothing we should worry about. Everyone his own taste.
    I only watched the first season so far and I liked it a lot. Surprisingly, my wife liked it, too. And she usually isn't motivated to watch my preferred movies and series.