The Westworld Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I started on this, but gave up. Jonathan Nolan s involvement was what intrigued me about it, but I just got bored. It didn t appeal to me.

Nothing we should worry about. Everyone his own taste.
    I only watched the first season so far and I liked it a lot. Surprisingly, my wife liked it, too. And she usually isn't motivated to watch my preferred movies and series.

It does factor in that I am watching a lot of shows these days, so for me to bother sticking with yet another, that just takes some persuasion from the get go. I gave up on Band Of Brothers, too.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Isn't this show overscored? It feels like there's music playing all the time, even if a subtle electronic drone. If music is used to emphasize everything, it emphasizes nothing. It's quite exhausting.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Wright posted this a couple of weeks ago:

I enjoyed the 3rd season, particularly the first half. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here. :-?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,327
    QBranch wrote: »
    Wright posted this a couple of weeks ago:

I enjoyed the 3rd season, particularly the first half. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here. :-?

The last few episodes of S3 got a bit convoluted and then morphed into a bad Terminator film. I agree though it did start off well, I would have to rewatch the last few episodes of S3 to remind myself of who is in what body and who is alive or dead or now a machine :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I thought S3 was a big downer compared to the first two but I really, really love this series and can't wait to see where it goes from here. Only one bit of casting has happened so far, I'm guessing more names will start pouring out over the next couple of months.
    Agreed. Let's hope S3 was just a temporary drop in quality and that the series will rebound strongly.
    S4 is arriving on June 26th with eight episodes. The teaser is magnificent.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It has to win me over after the convoluted season 3 and its Terminator ending. Though the new trailer looks good.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

It has to win me over after the convoluted season 3 and its Terminator ending. Though the new trailer looks good.

I miss the theme park, tbh. Seasons 1and 2 were fantastic. I lost interest after that.
    Agreed with you lot - seasons one and two rocked but I lost interest in S3. The quality didn't drop necessarily (though it was needlessly convoluted, lost a lot of mystery for me and introduced brand new characters I didn't have any interest in) but getting away from the park made me realize that's what made the show for me. This trailer seems to show not only a new park but a heavy return to it (either through the future-futuristic MiB and his journey or maybe in flashbacks, plus some other characters going through a seemingly destroyed park). That alone has me pumped.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,327
    e8c834ad-d74a-9e3f-d5f9-1891e6d33fb8.jpg
    Wow only a few days to go now, I will watch Season 3 Finale tonight to remind me who died or kind of died or who is inhabiting who's body :))

I just watched Rachel Evan Wood on The Tonight Show and Rachel gave away a few spoilers, I should not have watched that.
    I don't have the time to rewatch series much these days so I'll do a recap video this weekend before S4 drops. I'm looking forward to it.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,327
    Westworld S4 Ep1 a mixed first episode, the Christina character is the most intriguing though I am pretty sure I know what's going on there.
    I think its Dolores is stuck in the Matrix, the data storage facility The Man in Black acquired at the start of the episode. Christina is unknowingly dictating the fate of other programs/data? When we first see Christina wake up it appeared like a birth/rebirth scene.

I do have another theory
    Christina is an original programmer of the secondary characters of Westworld and her time line is prior to Season 1.

I am probably way off the mark on both.
    It definitely seems like:
    Christina's stuff is taking place way before the events of S1 or she's indeed part of this new Futureworld park and is responsible for writing the stories of the hosts who don't know their hosts.
    Westworld S4 Ep2 only just got round to watching this and I must say that was pretty good in fact awesome at times, it felt like the Westworld I initially expected prior to the series starting.
    Westworld S4 Ep2 only just got round to watching this and I must say that was pretty good in fact awesome at times, it felt like the Westworld I initially expected prior to the series starting.

This season has its issues and I've accepted it'll never have the same magic of the first two seasons but it's much stronger than S3 was for me to start so I'm satisfied for now.

This season has its issues and I've accepted it'll never have the same magic of the first two seasons but it's much stronger than S3 was for me to start so I'm satisfied for now.

I find myself trying to remember things that happened from S3 during certain moments in S4 which is problematic. I cant honestly remember if Dolores is still in one of the characters host bodies.

I find myself trying to remember things that happened from S3 during certain moments in S4 which is problematic. I cant honestly remember if Dolores is still in one of the characters host bodies.

I can't remember either. The "original" (if you can even call her that) Dolores of S3 was destroyed when Rehoboam was shut down in the finale. There was a copy of her inside Hale, but after Hale's family was killed, it's as if she took over and now "Halores" is running around causing trouble. It'll be interesting to see how Christina is related to Dolores aside from looks. There might be one or two random hosts out there that still have the Dolores mind ball inside them but I really can't recall. S3 was a mess in so many ways and I remember so little from it.

I can't remember either. The "original" (if you can even call her that) Dolores of S3 was destroyed when Rehoboam was shut down in the finale. There was a copy of her inside Hale, but after Hale's family was killed, it's as if she took over and now "Halores" is running around causing trouble. It'll be interesting to see how Christina is related to Dolores aside from looks. There might be one or two random hosts out there that still have the Dolores mind ball inside them but I really can't recall. S3 was a mess in so many ways and I remember so little from it.

The way S4 started is really what they should have done for S3 I thought that even with the first episode.

S3 really does underline things gong forward and the fact S4 is still referencing events of S3 does not help, and even events like 'Lighthouse' I feel like I have missed something there?

I was surprised to see a particular character still alive I was sure they were definitely dead, felt a bit of a retcon (I did not revisit S3 finale as I had planned to).

In isolation I thought there were some great scenes in this episode, especially the pre titles sequence.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

It's very dramatic on this show when a robot kills its human counterpart. Less so when we're talking about multiple backup balls so that every robot can be recreated...yawn.
    Yeah it's not as fun when death isn't at all permanent and characters can return with ease.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,327
    Westworld S4 Ep3 I am starting to lose interest and not care about whats going on I am seeing too much repetition, I think the idea's have dried up.

I will stick with the show till the end of the season based on episode 2 being pretty good.
    Westworld S4 Ep3 I am starting to lose interest and not care about whats going on I am seeing too much repetition, I think the idea's have dried up.

I will stick with the show till the end of the season based on episode 2 being pretty good.

I've not seen the recent episode yet. Been a busy week but hoping to before the week's over.

I've not seen the recent episode yet. Been a busy week but hoping to before the week's over.

Likewise been busy also, there are a few things of interest I wont say anymore until you have watched it.

Likewise been busy also, there are a few things of interest I wont say anymore until you have watched it.

Sounds good, my friend. Is S3 more of a departure from what we both are seemingly after? I thought I read a few comments suggesting this latest episode brings it back to the park and mystery even further but I don't know what to expect. All the cityscape stuff just does nothing for me, I'm afraid.

Sounds good, my friend. Is S3 more of a departure from what we both are seemingly after? I thought I read a few comments suggesting this latest episode brings it back to the park and mystery even further but I don't know what to expect. All the cityscape stuff just does nothing for me, I'm afraid.

I wont spoil anything though I think you may have the same conclusion as me when you see this episode, something is clearly missing... it could be budget restraints.

I am appreciating Season 1 more as time passes that was almost a faultless First season of television.

I wont spoil anything though I think you may have the same conclusion as me when you see this episode, something is clearly missing... it could be budget restraints.

I am appreciating Season 1 more as time passes that was almost a faultless First season of television.

I think they shot themselves in the foot when it comes to the budget + branching out into a futuristic city. It probably cost way less to shoot in the desert and on western themed sets, but now? Way more CGI is required and the city doesn't even look that futuristic honestly, another issue I had with S3.

And yes, S1 is as perfect an intro season as it gets. It still stands as containing my all time favorite series premiere. Marvelous stuff, I couldn't stop thinking about it or rewatching it. Even found myself reaching out to actors from the season on Facebook to discuss it, with a couple of replies surprisingly!

I think they shot themselves in the foot when it comes to the budget + branching out into a futuristic city. It probably cost way less to shoot in the desert and on western themed sets, but now? Way more CGI is required and the city doesn't even look that futuristic honestly, another issue I had with S3.

And yes, S1 is as perfect an intro season as it gets. It still stands as containing my all time favorite series premiere. Marvelous stuff, I couldn't stop thinking about it or rewatching it. Even found myself reaching out to actors from the season on Facebook to discuss it, with a couple of replies surprisingly!

S1 was a high bar of excellence, which cast members did you speak to?

I spoke a lot with Louis Herthum (Peter Abernathy; his performance simply blew me away in that series premiere) before he really got famous off the role, plus Ingrid Bolsø Berdal (who played Armistice) a few times, and Leonardo Nam (Felix Lutz).

I spoke a lot with Louis Herthum (Peter Abernathy; his performance simply blew me away in that series premiere) before he really got famous off the role, plus Ingrid Bolsø Berdal (who played Armistice) a few times, and Leonardo Nam (Felix Lutz).

That is really cool they were open to chatting about the show.

Peter Abernathy, there was a lot of range with his character, S1 had so many characters switch persona's I would imagine it was very challenging as an artist.