The Friday Salute: A user appreciation thread (THIS WEEK: StirredNotShaken aka SNS)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Murdock wrote:
    Thank you @Sandy. I must say, the time me and Brady spent in Tokyo was interesting. I think the most fun part was stealing a helicopter with the magnet on it and fetching and dropping random objects around different places.

Aha! That was you guys! Of course it was in all the papers here. The yakuza were up in arms, literally. They still can't get the samurai statue out of the canal, though. It is good and stuck. A new tourist attraction I suppose. I want to know (you can pm me as this is top secret, I'm sure) how you escaped after they blew up the helicopter?

See ... you think a guy is just a nice bloke chatting on a forum, but how wrong can we be? ;) Banzai!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thank you both @chrisisall and @Creasy47, In my father's passing, he gave my mother and I his fighting spirit to be able to continue on and spread his legacy. For the longest time, I've considered the fine people of this forum my extended family so It's nice to have you all give me your thoughts and prayers.

Yes my first Bond memories are playing GoldenEye 64 with my dad, then finally seeing the film shortly after. We both loved it. He told me his first Bond movie was Live and Let Die when he worked at a drive in theater at the age of 13. It wasn't until TWINE that we went to the movies to see Every Bond film since.
    Aha! That was you guys! Of course it was in all the papers here. The yakuza were up in arms, literally. They still can't get the samurai statue out of the canal, though. It is good and stuck. A new tourist attraction I suppose. I want to know (you can pm me as this is top secret, I'm sure) how you escaped after they blew up the helicopter?

See ... you think a guy is just a nice bloke chatting on a forum, but how wrong can we be? ;) Banzai!

Well don't ya know, we have people everywhere! :p
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Those two guys they arrested at Narita... did you and Brady set them up?
    You sly devils....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Have you ever heard of the Beta-Epsilon TR2 virus? That's okay, I know you haven't. And would you like to know why you haven't? It's because he saved that virus from wiping out the world's population at large by containing it inside a rocket and sent it headed straight into the heart of the sun, managing to eject himself from the craft in a pod of his own design before he was fried to a crisp. He spent a tour traveling through untouched galaxies of space with Captain Kirk and his crew, and not only volunteered to wear a red shirt, but survived all of the team's galactic exploits and made a name for himself lightyears away from home as "The Trekker of the Stars."

Some legends claim that he was raised from birth by a tribe of wolves, but that is only one of the many hypothesized explanations for why he raises himself from a deep sleep at peak hours of the night and howls at the moon overhead. While legions of children his age were frightened by tales of the Boogeyman, Chuck Norris was read campfire stories about him. He would go on many years later to train Chuck in his fighting disciplines, and teach him his now-trademarked roundhouse kick. Because of him, there is now a behavioral disorder called "Murdocking", a phenomenon sweeping the globe where women faint to their knees in every room he walks into, martini in his hand, gun holstered close to his heart, and the reddest of roses placed snuggly in his lapel. When he was once held captive by a terrorist group hidden deep in Middle-Eastern country, he managed to escape his shackles and cell with nothing but a tube of glue, spoon, butter knife, match, and his own shoelaces, leaving only one of his captors alive to tell the story of their defeat at his hands.

Some film historians have reason to believe that the James Bond film Goldeneye was based heavily upon his own spy-like exploits, but he himself makes one small correction to those statements: "Do you remember the part near the beginning where Bond is escaping the Soviet chemical facility?" he said. "Well, when I did that I had no ammo, 3/4 of the whole Russian army was hot on my heels, and I didn't have a plane to escape in." To put it simply, Bond had nothing on him. When asked how he managed to escape that scuffle, he only said: "It's all a blur, really. Some say I grew wings and flew away, while others think I disappeared into a cloud of dust. Both are incorrect accounts, yet absolutely true at the same time. Do with that what you will. Is this interview over yet?"

But I assure you, what he lacks in interviewing skills, he more than makes up for in machismo, brass balls of courage, and animal magnetism. If it wasn't for his determination and resilience, we would have never made it out of our adventures in Japan in one piece. But that's a story for another time, though I hear the papers are already discussing it...

To be frank, ladies and gentlemen, @Murdock's contributions here can in no way be underestimated. While he is obviously a deep Bond fan, that is the least of his greatest traits. His ability to make amazing gadgets from nothing but scraps and his own hands is something that still boggles my mind (Tony Stark, eat your heart out). He has a dazzling sense of creativity, from his crafting of films and music to his great artistic ability in creating graphic art posters. His passion and respect for music, especially for the scores from the Bond films are some of his finest qualities, and I think John Barry himself would smile fondly with the knowledge that there are people like him out there that will carry the memory of his music on through the generations. And yet, on top of all these monolithic talents, he is just a kind-hearted, normal, humble guy trying to live life and do what he loves with great drive. He is the quintessential everyman with a larger than life heart, and I am happy to not only be a part of the same Bond Brotherhood as he, but to call him a trusted friend. For all these reasons and more, I bow my head to you, @Murdock, and salute all that you are, and all that you will become. Your father has a lot to be proud of. :)
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Murdock is a great member who is brilliant at making stuff (not sure what thread it was but he managed to make a mine from GE, that was actually magnetic, out of an old computer game controller) and I was very sorry to hear about his dad today. @Brady is a great member who is brilliant at art (he did a blu ray cover for LTK that I really wish was real). Both are kind, intelligent members and I've had good discussions with both of them.

They're both great blokes that deserve the praise they're getting.
    Yes. My space exploits were very fun. Did You know I helped destroy the Moonraker Space Station? I let James do all the talking while I did the dirty work outside during the Laser Battle. ;) Murdocking? Is this a variation on Rogering? :))

@thelivingroyale I'm happy you mentioned that! :) I have a fond love of building things. When I was little, my dad built me a Replica Flintstones car out of wood. I'll post a picture of it very soon under better lighting conditions but Yes I think one of the biggest influences in my love of movies were props. As a kid, one prop I wanted very badly was the Shrink Ray from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. It was so slick looking and had that home made quality. So around early 2010 with Graduation coming by very quick, I decided to make a senior year final project that tested the limits of all the skills I learned in my Interactive media class and wanted to make a tribute to one of my favorite childhood movies. Gathering almost all the parts I had gotten from yard sales and junk stores, I made a Shrink Ray of my own design! Behold my very first prop! Little to no glue was used! It took me 3 months to get all the perfect parts but it payed off for my Short Film "Honey, I Shrunk The Students"
    shrink_ray__mk_2__side_view___by_comandercool22-d5qi8lc.jpg
    shrink_ray__mk_2__control_panel__by_comandercool22-d5qi9bn.jpg
    shrink_ray__mk_2__targeting_system__by_comandercool22-d5qi9oj.jpg
    shrink_ray__mk_2__nozzle_top_view__by_comandercool22-d5qi9w8.jpg
    shrink_ray__mk_2__nozzle_front_view__by_comandercool22-d5qia2l.jpg

But it doesn't end there for my props! My next prop was something not as complex, but still very inventive. I've been wanting to make a futuristic weapon prop for some time and a chance meeting at a Yard sale and I got a Corps JAM blaster for 75 cents and a broken Golf ball tube for a dollar and Bam! (Pun intended!) Futuristic Resident Evil inspired Grenade Launcher. Add some Black paint and it looks like something seen in a cheesy 80's sci-fi or action movie. :)
    grenade_launcher_circa_2065_by_comandercool22-d3ff35c.jpg

Then after a friend bought me two of those PC joysticks off ebay, I had to wait a few days, so I painted this thermostat to look similar to the Door Decoding device from GoldenEye. not Perfect But a good look alike.
    54bZ1CW.jpg

Then I finally got my mines, and Painted a Sodoku game and Milton Bradley Battleship game (The later modified to be a Gadget in the first Spy Kids film.) All the little gadgets you see here I plan on using in my Bruce Murdock film. :)
    7zeH7kA.jpg

Then with the Help of my mom, to spray paint the Mine Shells and my Dad to help me make wood plates to hold the Red buttons in the center of the casing I have near finished GoldenEye Mine Replicas! When I make props, I want it to be a family project! :)
    goldeneye_mines_wip_3__by_comandercool22-d6mkgy6.jpg
    goldeneye_mines_wip_4__by_comandercool22-d6n85t7.jpg
    Very impressive stuff. I like to think I'm quite good at DIY but there's no way I could ever build anything like that. I'm nowhere near creative or talented enough.

Does the watch in the gadget picture have a laser or a buzzsaw? ;)
    Does the watch in the gadget picture have a laser or a buzzsaw? ;)

With the help of Adobe Photoshop and movie magic It should. :P

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Murdock first off my sincerest condolences. I wish you and your family all the best in recovering from such a loss.
    And then, I, too, will pay tribue to your greatness. I understand the A-team was written with your daily exploits in mind. The producers just thought that so much character and adventure would never be believable if it was just one man. That's why they made four characters out of you. Charming like face, strong like BA, silly, fun and inventive like Murdock and smart and in control like Hannibal Smith. Four episodes cover one day of @Murdocks real life.

Your props are stunningly accurate and convincing. Keep up the great work! As a member here you're fun, intelligent and creative. I'm very happy to be part of a forum with members like you.
    Thank you @CommanderRoss. I am part of an elite team, though we go by a different name. The Agents of Illusion. ;)
    8qQb1lTh.jpg

Not too long ago, there was once a terrorist called "Scotty Del Toro Spencer LeTouchMyButtons." An annoying personality who made it his goal to censor anyone who didn't share his opinion. He tried using his mind control device called the "Wave Link" that was hidden somewhere in Jersey. Well @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 and myself were sent to Miami to track him down and Bring him in. We didn't know his real name at first because he was always trying to change his name to blend in. Even went as far as to pull an Ernst Stavro Blofeld and dressed up in drag. However that was his biggest mistake. I managed to take a picture of him and found out his name with the new portable Identi-Graph app for my Cell Phone. However I was soon captured by his Sleeper agents who tried taking over my mind by inviting me to Chicken dinners using the phrase "Trust us, we know" I might love chicken but this is @Murdock were talking about here. so I used my secret weapon of "Murdocking" and won over the female sleeper agents with ease. ;) 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 was hot on Scotty's trail and found his secret underwater volcano base station and once inside his office, He stole Scotty's Data Thief and exposed him to the entire world. Instead of cowering with fear, the entire world population laughed so hard as if they were under the Joker's laughing gas. Scotty escaped in his Bath-O-Sub, but @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 and @Murdock will be back to serve him a Delicatessen in Stainless Steel! ;)
    @Murdock, the Quartermaster of MI6 community, you are witty, funny, creative and smart member. It's always interesting talking with you about Bond, music or whatever subject comes to the table. I salute you too!
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    @Murdock I've just been reading the Al-Qaeda thread he made. Did you ever take @touchmybuttons up on his offer of a chicken dinner? ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That was quite the crazy adventure, wasn't it, @Murdock? I still can't believe half the stuff we did for our country back then. I do wish you would turn those sleeper agents loose, though. They keep calling my cell asking for you, and it's getting a bit annoying. From this instance we can gather that "Murdocking" is both a talent, and a curse. ;)
    @Murdock I've just been reading the Al-Qaeda thread he made. Did you ever take @touchmybuttons up on his offer of a chicken dinner? ;-)

I sure did @WillyGalore. Though it ended up looking exactly like this. ;)
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank all the members who have given me praise. You all have no idea just how much your comments mean to me, and keep me pushing on every day to live up to your praises. It is nice when people recognize your efforts in life, both big and small, and thank you for them. Many of you here have been my greatest supporters in not only my art and writing, but in life, having given me great advice when I needed it. Because of that, I reciprocate your salutes.

If nobody minds, I'd like to go beyond the individual praise for a short time and quickly show my appreciation for every single member here, especially for the community-wide actions I have witnessed this past week. To be frank, I don't stick around this forum because of the Bond discussion, because let's be honest: you can find that anywhere on the internet. What keeps me around are the members, many of whom I have created amazing friendships with since I have joined and who I love getting up every day and speaking with, though I have never met any of them in person. The way you all stood up together, hand in hand and heart to heart to come to the aid of @Murdock (and all the members you have done that for previously) truly warmed my heart. I have never seen such a wonderful group of people who care so much about the well being of other members who they have only spoken to online. It is weeks like these that show me why I am still a member of this site two years on, and for that I thank every single one of you human beings with kindness incarnate. >:D<
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited October 2013 Posts: 7,969
    It's what decent people do @OBrady, but I share your thoughts. We should be happy all these decent people found eachother here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Murdock is a cool guy. I've known him for a couple of years now and he's been a great contributor to threads, discussions and overall forum pleasantries. Always in for a good joke and a couple of laughs, Murdock is the guy I'd be honoured to have a drink with. Plus, Murdock will not mind my calling him a 'fanboy'. Like me, he's not too shy to demonstrate his fan love for Bond, Star Trek, ...

When we experience lesser times, Murdock firmly stands his ground. I like that, respect that, appreciate that.

@Murdock, you're a great friend and a truly nice chap. It's always a pleasure to talk to you. You're one of the reasons this forum puts a smile on my face.
  • Both valued members of the MI6 community. Sensible participants, that are able to keep their emotions in check, articulate, knowledgable, and would be a welcome addition to any forum. Would be a sad day on these pages if either , or both, members were ever to depart from this messageboard. Both deserving of an authority position on these pages should ever a vacancy become possible. Not everyone is capable of having a coherent or articulate conversation, but at least you got two names there that you can safely converse with and have a good comprehensive discussion
  • It's tough enough to come with just the right things to say about one outstanding member, let alone two while you are doing your day job at the same time!

@OBradyM0Bondfanatic7- just his screen name alone is a mouthful. Although I suspect his idea of a mouthful would be a naked Eva Green lying on a life sized silver serving platter :). The first thing one should notice about the man I call Brady is not his insane amount of posts (always good ones) that seem to indicate that wherever he may be, short of sleeping (and never on the company's time) he is modernly attached by myriad devices to the internet and this site at any and all times, is his superior art work. You are incredibly gifted my friend, and have a great future in multimedia or whatever you choose to do in that world. Your "most interesting man in the world" captions, whenever unleashed, are friggin' hilarious and show you also have a wonderful sense of humor as well. They are some of the funniest things you've ever done and as the leader of the Originals gang, these and your assistance there in proving my theory that Gregg Beam really is a walrus, have left me laughing as hard and making the same gasping sounds as the machete man from Porky's, unable to breathe and barely able to stay in my computer chair! These contributions in our thread are completely appreciated, as are any appearance you make there. And the way you care about others, such as inviting Murdock to stand alongside of you as you are being honored so we can try to cheer him up in his time of grief, shows what a classy human being you are and why so many deeply respect you for much more than your contributions. There should be more people like you in the world, it would certainly be a better place for it.

In addition, for someone of your age you have incredibly good taste in all things Bond. You readily recognize the greatness of Sir Sean that others of your age often miss in favor of others and I heartily commend you for that. I know there are many die hard Connery fans here, but to see one as young as you are validates my opinion that he is still the penultimate and the measuring stick for every actor that has followed. That is most gratifying. And even better yet, you also see many of the same greatnesses in both Dalton and Craig, and that just confirms my opinion of your Bondian IQ being rather high. If I have coined the phrase in referring to all three as the "holy trinity" and was ever in a campaign to be the club president, you would be my clear and immediate choice for running mate! We tend to think very much alike about the greatness of Casino Royale as well, not to mention your excellent taste as far as the opposite sex. Yes indeed, all in all you command my respect and that of many others, you are often like a younger brother to me more than you could know until now, and like Creasy I'd never see you on the street. You'd have your choice of bunk in my Bond shrine room, all the gourmet food you could handle, the best Bolliinger RD to wash it down with, access to all my Bond stuff, and as much as I dislike fairly immediate sloppy seconds, if Eva showed up on our doorstep wearing nothing but a big old body ribbon, I would make the rare exception and step aside for you- as long as you promise to share at one point and don't wear her out too much big boy.

@Murdock- well, I don't know you nearly as well as Brady, and given what's happened with you losing your Dad, it's hard for me to say much more than how sorry I am to hear of this news. All I could say or do at this point that would genuinely matter to me past some words is to give you a big Bond brother bearhug and tell you that if there is anything I could do or say that would help and give you some comfort, you need only PM me. It's a terrible thing and I know the pain you feel when I lost mine in 1992, because I still carry it with me and some movies and music I still can't listen to without having a good cry.

What I can come up with at a moment, and I'm sure I will miss many things that others will cover for me, are the two things I always think of when it comes to you. First, your amazing recreations of Bond gadgetry. You are the "prop man extraordinaire" of this site, a truly worthy candidate to be a real life Q someday, and both EON and Pinewood Studios would be fools not to hire you for the prop department or the role itself should you ever submit an application. I am amazed at the intricacies I see in your work, the attention to detail, really impressive to say the least. And finally, and certainly not least, there are slobbering blind fanboys who call themselves Brosnan fans, and then there are guys like you who make sense in your great admiration for him and his time as Bond. Normally I'd hammer you mightily for extending that love to the god awful GE soundtrack, and I promise in the future when you're feeling better to return to normal and not cut you any such slack, but for now I forgive you and you have my permission to love everything GE as much as you can!

Again, my most sincere condolences to you and everyone in your family, and do not hesitate to contact me if you need to talk.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,797
    I just want the high esteem that Brady is held in by myself. Brady goes out of his way to be helpful and gives a lot of his energy into making this a great community. Plus, it's a very nice little touch to give a nod to @Murdock, who is having a rough time with a recent death of a parent. I wish both members all the best; they truly are the cream of the crop here on MI6 Community and we're all here for you.
    I have to thank everyone here for the support there giving me and my family. I've never been more proud to be a member on a forum. It's so touching I shed a tear.

@SirHenryLeeChaChing if it's any consolation, I hate the track "Ladies First" But everything else on the GoldenEye soundtrack I love. :)) But thanks. Plus It's just nice to have Every possible James Bond soundtrack readily available. You probably won't believe this, but I went through my entire music folder and I have around 10 gigabytes of music.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,564
    It's tough enough to come with just the right things to say about one outstanding member, let alone two while you are doing your day job at the same time!

Exactly. Apologies to all for my tardiness. Nonetheless, better late than never:

@OBradyMOBondfanatic7 -- a talented, articulate and insightful member indeed. I'd try to come up with a match for your "Most Interesting Man in the World" comments -- but what's the point? You are the master of those and it would only be flattery by imitation to even try. I can only note, as so many others already have, that it takes real class to invite another to share in your moment of glory. Your generosity of spirit can only be commended. Here's to you, OBrady, a credit to our clan!

@Murdock -- We are with you in your time of sorrow. I hope you've seen the Goldeneye review currently in the Originals thread, and I hope it meets with your approval. I did have you in mind while composing it. Carry on, my friend! It's never easy but always imperative. Your prop work is exceptionally impressive, and the experience you gain in making all these replicas will serve you in good stead wherever life may take you!

And as ever, my best regards to everyone in this forum. If only the rest of the internet were as thoughtful and considerate as the troupe we have assembled here!
    Bump. ;)
  • Brady: Anybody with the highest postcount has to be doing something right. Your love for Sir Sean is nearly unparalleled (what, there's a lot of competition), as is your love for Eva Green and your dedication to this forum. Your artwork is great. Your captions are great. Much like Sir Henry, you've proven once again why you're being honored by letting Murdock share the spotlight. You're our most active member and certainly one of our most valued.

Murdock: Your prop work, as many others have stated, is very cool. You do a great job with that, and your series with Bruce Murdock is similarly impressive. A fellow Brosnan fan is always appreciated, and I'm just happy we could all be there for you in your time of need. It's what makes places like this so great.
    Me thinks it's good timing for a little schmaltzy rhyming ...

Oh, Brady - What can I say to ye?
    A versatile bloke with many talents and personal charm;
    A wise soul for one so young, no one has to twist my arm
    to say again: hip hip hooray!
    0Brady, oh Brady, you have my salute today -
    and every day. :)

Murdock - such a strong and steady name for a gent who is the same;
    You are kind, and smart, and very good indeed at playing many a game.
    You will shine on, your future is bright, with a caring heart to tend -
    You are many fine things, dear Murdock; perhaps most, a fine example of
    a good friend.

To both of you from your not-so-secret admirer,

4EverWritingBadPoetry
    It's time to begin voting again, apologies for not updating that at the right time.
    I will vote for @4EverBonded
    I'll once again vote for @chrisisall. MI6's chief model maker. ;)
    I shall give me vote to @TheWizardOfIce this week.
    Voting time? I have my next top 2 to vote for, and this time it is @Sandy!

(And thank you sincerely, @thelivingroyale)