Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Mel Gibson is an absolute legend, I hope he can bounce back and make more films!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Been away from this board for quite some time due to work, health and personal reasons but what better way to come back than to talk about Fury Road?

George Miller and John Seale's average age is 72 - and they've created something that filmmakers half their age would struggle to. Pure poetry in motion; Fury Road is one film that benefits from being a seemingly endless chase, thanks to Miller and his stunt team's excellent work at consistently besting themselves from one sequence to the next.

Hardy is a good Max. Theron is a wonderful Furiosa. The soundtrack is incredibly muscular and powerful and lends some serious badassery to one of the best supporting characters in recent memory - the Doof.

High expectations met and then exceeded.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am a bit puzzled by all the rave reviews to be honest. Not because I think they are wrong, but this is the kind of film that usually gets slaughtered.
    I am a bit puzzled by all the rave reviews to be honest. Not because I think they are wrong, but this is the kind of film that usually gets slaughtered.
    Why? If you look at rottentomatoes, the first two Mad Max films are rated pretty high. Which means 89% and 98% respectively.

edited June 2015 Posts: 45,489
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Why? If you look at rottentomatoes, the first two Mad Max films are rated pretty high. Which means 89% and 98% respectively.

By the critics or the audience?
    @Thunderfinger, that´s the critics´ ratings. Viewer´s ratings on rt are 70% and 85%.
    I am surprised. The Mad Max series are films that are usully referred to as b-movies.
    I am surprised. The Mad Max series are films that are usully referred to as b-movies.
    I don´t think so. The second one features extremely thought-through action work, and the storytelling in the first two films is outstanding, not to mention the camera work. And if you look at the sets they built for the third one, that´s hardly b-movie style.
    At least the first one must have been not too expensive, since George Miller said in an interview that they had a crew of 30 (I don´t know if the mentioned thousand crewmembers for Fury Road are real or an exaggeration). But if you watch the first two films, the production values such as camera work, atmosphere, and set design may have been low budget, but hardly b.

Again, I agree with everything. I guess I am just used to humourless and pretensive film critics.
    Again, I agree with everything. I guess I am just used to humourless and pretensive film critics.
    Haha, such can easily happen :-)).

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Also, our beloved forum members, unlike critics or the very occasional movie goer, are wise enough to a) watch a film before peeing on it and b) not only praise social drama's by filmmakers whose name one can't even pronounce. ;-)
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Been away from this board for quite some time due to work, health and personal reasons but what better way to come back than to talk about Fury Road?

George Miller and John Seale's average age is 72 - and they've created something that filmmakers half their age would struggle to. Pure poetry in motion; Fury Road is one film that benefits from being a seemingly endless chase, thanks to Miller and his stunt team's excellent work at consistently besting themselves from one sequence to the next.

Hardy is a good Max. Theron is a wonderful Furiosa. The soundtrack is incredibly muscular and powerful and lends some serious badassery to one of the best supporting characters in recent memory - the Doof.

High expectations met and then exceeded.

I hope everything is fine now.

I agree about Theron, but somewhat disagree about Hardy - he was wonderful. ;)

I had very modest expectations and boy were they exceeded! :D

Umm... what do you mean by "this" kind of film? It's an intelligent movie for adults, it looks beautiful, it has interesting characters and good acting with excellent leads, and it's very well made in practically every area.

The same basic story could have been made by lesser filmmakers and ended up very different - something that would have deserved to be slaughtered. It could have been what usually gets done. Sexist macho for one, there was even more potential and opportunity for that than in most action movies, and it could have been done in so many ways - I'm still utterly surprised it wasn't that at all. What a rarity. Or it could have had plastic action (not looking real) with too much cgi, or otherwise boring action (unimaginative, or badly edited, etc.) - that much action could so easily be boring as hell. It could have been made for younger audiences and therefore would have had to gloss over some stuff that it could now show to support the story's heavy themes. Since it was R-rated it could have had lots of gore, or it could have shown the sex-slavery in practice, instead of understanding that neither was needed. It could have added "funny" lines in certain places that would have made the scenes worse. It could have had unnecessary flashbacks or unnecessary dialogue to explain stuff to audience. It could have had leads that can't act much and don't do subtle. It could have had typical "romance". And so on.

I'm rarely totally surprised by a movie. I was by this. I suspect I wasn't the only one. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Figured I'd bump this with some fantastic news: 'Mad Max: Fury Road' will be available on blu-ray and DVD on September 1st!
    Seems like it will it not have the b/w version??? :(
    You can always just turn off the colours on your tv.
    Not the same and you know it.
    Definitely not the same, unfortunately.

My guess is they'll release a 'bigger and better' edition in a few months, which I'll inevitably double dip and pick up, especially if it has the black and white and soundless versions of the film.
    Cheaper to turn off the sound on your tv. ;)
    Cheaper to turn off the sound on your tv. ;)

The "soundless" version only contains the soundtrack to the film. I believe all of the other audio and effects are completely removed.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    My guess is they'll release a 'bigger and better' edition in a few months, which I'll inevitably double dip and pick up, especially if it has the black and white and soundless versions of the film.
    My guess is with this flm I won´t blink before I buy any disc as soon as it´s on the market =P~ .
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    boldfinger wrote: »
    My guess is with this flm I won´t blink before I buy any disc as soon as it´s on the market =P~ .

Fury Road is amazing. James Bond will always be in a category of his own, but of all the 'movie' movies I've seen this year, Fury Road is my number 1 and I have doubts as to whether something will overtake before December 31st.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    eddychaput wrote: »
    Fury Road is amazing. James Bond will always be in a category of his own, but of all the 'movie' movies I've seen this year, Fury Road is my number 1 and I have doubts as to whether something will overtake before December 31st.

I just rented Mad Max: Fury Road, and after twenty minutes I started skipping through. Ten minutes later my ordeal was over.
    The colour saturation was like watching a Road Runner cartoon.
    The needless editing out of every third to seventh frame of action made me miss the (by comparison) smooth and languid look of QOS.
    The computer game production design was just a little too much, even for a Max movie.
    Hardy paled beside Gibson.

I'm glad if many liked this entry, but I'm SO glad I only wasted 30 minutes & $2.00 on it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Watched it last weekend, and thought it was pretty good, but obviously could never live up to the originals. Wasn't a fan of the contrast/saturation, which reminded me too much of 300 and Grindhouse films, and although I knew going in, that it was meant to be an endless chase, felt it needed more distinguishing set pieces.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I was on a photo shooting spree today :D Somehow I have to keep busy in this difficult time of losing too many of my heroes.

Mad Max has seen quite a lot of beautiful DVD and Blu-ray artwork.
    Here is the steelbook I got in 2013 and the Fury Road steelbook :)
    Needless to say Fury Road belongs to the great movies of our time!

full.jpg
    full.jpg
    full.jpg
    full.jpg
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Definitely not the same, unfortunately.

There you go, @Creasy47:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/dvd/news/766623-mad-max-high-octane-collection-announced-with-black-chrome-edition

Any ideas on how that black and chrome version might differ from how the normal version would look with the colour on the tv set tuned out?

No news on Mad Max: Wasteland yet?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Max ended for me with Thunderdome.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Max ended for me with Thunderdome.

Because only Gibson can be Max?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I really don't like the original Mad Max and Beyond Thunderdome. I can watch The Road Warrior and Fury Road over and over though.
    The last confirmation we got with 'Wasteland' was Hardy's back in January. Hopefully we get an update by the end of the year.