Mad Max (1979 - Present)

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Well, it's taste and opinion. I wouldn't claim T2 is "deeper" somehow than MMFR. (And I love T2.)

The MMFR plot is not indeed complicated, but it doesn't need to be. A lot of good movies have simple plots. Simple doesn't mean worse, it depends. I like the simplicity of the basic premise and plot - and feel it's told in a way that is full and rewarding for the viewer, rich in detail. In some ways like Ravel's Bolero. I've loved it since I was a kid, and for me it just never gets old or boring (as long as the performance is good) - and it's sort of just this little melody that gets repeated a lot, but it's varied and stuff is added along the way and it's glorious. :D

Even though the basic plot is very simple, it's not like there is no depth at all, or a richness to the characters and the world. I didn't miss more backstory to the characters, we learn a lot about them as it is and not everything needs to be spelled out anyway. It works - for me anyway - that the stories we get of the characters and their background have holes in them. We know parts, can conclude other bits, and some is shrouded in mystery - all good in a story like this I think.
    patb wrote: »
    They escape the evil dictator to go to a place that it turns out isn't there any more. So they decide to go back to the original place that they were trying to get away from. (killing him along the way). As far as plots go, its thin and very linear with IMHO, much more back story re the motivations of the central characters. Max hardly says anything at all so his relationship with the female lead does not really develop. Its just a little strange.
    As with Mad Max 2, its basically a Western and nothing wrong with that but it lacks depth IMHO and I cant see it creating the long term affection that the original two have.

Apart from the obvious fact that Max doesn't speak a hell of a lot, I completely disagree with that bolded bit there. Speaking and communicating are not the same thing at all - in movies any more than in real life. It's possible to convey a lot non-verbally, too. Eyes, the rest of the face, gestures, body language, what one does... and, well, by grunts, too - one of the many ways that Max communicates in. :P He basically only speaks when he has to or really wants to, either little important things like "water" or occasionally even sentences when there's need to say more - like when he suggests they go back and explains why. He needs more than just his eyes and grunts and gestures or even a word a two for that, so he does speak. But he isn't a speaker, and spends a lot of time alone, so it's probably tough for him to express himself verbally all of sudden, it's not what he's used to at this point. How important was the quiet doing when he just handed over the rifle to Furiosa, then let her use him as a sniper stand (if that's incorrect please tell me the correct expression... I'm writing in a bleedin foreign language here and have never needed to use a word for that thing before). He didn't say anything, but communicated a lot by doing it in the first place and then not making a big deal of it. How much was it from him to give that little smile and a thumb-up to Splendid? He communicated a lot, all the way. And when he speaks it tends to be important - like... he's speaking out of necessity... Or he is saying more than he's actually saying (like when he finally decides to tell Furiosa his name).

The relationship does develop, a lot. At first they see each other as enemies, then after extreme suspicion become less suspicious, then allies and come to depend on and trust each other. They share a goal and get there together when on first meeting they were ready to kill each other. How is that not development?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, here's eight cool bits of information from the filming of 'Mad Max: Fury Road':

http://www.slashfilm.com/fury-road-trivia/

Oh my goodness! This sounds interesting:
    ...I spoke with Miller about his affinity for that black and white version of Fury Road. He said that he has demanded a black and white version of Fury Road for the blu-ray, and that version of the film will feature an option to hear just the isolated score as the only soundtrack — the purest and most stripped-down version of Fury Road you can imagine.
    I think these need to be posted here, too:

"I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE!!"
    n6UzJNW.jpg
    U74kJHK.jpg

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Bullet-Farmer-BTS.png
    group-of-judges.jpg
    They escape the evil dictator to go to a place that it turns out isn't there any more. So they decide to go back to the original place that they were trying to get away from. (killing him along the way). As far as plots go, its thin and very linear with IMHO, much more back story re the motivations of the central characters. Max hardly says anything at all so his relationship with the female lead does not really develop. Its just a little strange.
    As with Mad Max 2, its basically a Western and nothing wrong with that but it lacks depth IMHO and I cant see it creating the long term affection that the original two have.
    Perhaps it pays to watch it more often. I saw more character development with Hardy's Max than I've seen with most talkative characters in any other film, even kind of
    a love story between Max and Furiosa.
    As for Mad Max 2, I dare say its long term affection comes mostly from its cinematography, things like camera mounted on car and car giving it full throttle, combined with the viscerality of the savage villains. Mad Max films are more about vehicle velocity than depth, I'd say. The ones that work for me at least.
    Obviously, its down to taste. There is no science behind it. I am just saying IMHO that ten more minutes of talking/building relationships/developing characters and ten less minutes are car crashes could have made it a better movie. But if you love well directed car crashes, you would disagree.
    Obviously, its down to taste. There is no science behind it. I am just saying IMHO that ten more minutes of talking/building relationships/developing characters and ten less minutes are car crashes could have made it a better movie. But if you love well directed car crashes, you would disagree.

What I'm disagreeing with is that there was no relationship building or character development. Talking isn't necessarily needed for that like I already said. I don't, in general, love car crashes and chases, even well directed ones, I don't in general even love what get called "action movies" since they seem mostly boring set of people throwing punches, explosions and cgi - indeed without anything actually interesting going on with the characters - the talking in them is mostly either the "I'm so badass" or "I'm so funny" variety - which tends to be neither badass nor funny in actual fact. For me this one was an exception in that. I didn't expect it to be when I first went to see it, but it was (for me).

For me, something like, say Iron Man movies or The Avengers (the first one, lost all interest in seeing the second) have lots of talking, which is often supposed to be funny but rarely succeeds, and zero character development, and plenty of action which to me is boring. Yet people love them. (I don't know if they see character development, but they obviously see excitement and fun.) Opinion and taste.

When it comes to talking, less can be more, like some people who say little can get more said than some who talk constantly, and when it comes to communicating and expressing thoughts and feelings, it's so much more than just talking. I get that you found it lacking in that department. I didn't feel more talking was needed, but that has nothing to do with "well directed car crashes" :)

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Tuulia, you and I also seem to share a lot of very similar viewpoints when it comes to film, because that's exactly how I felt regarding 'The Avengers': it's an alright film to me, but for the amount of superhero/comic book films we've had in the last decade, I haven't spotted much character development myself, either.
    This has been a pretty good year for action movies. At the start of the year we had Kingsman (a really fun, violent tribute to spy movies), then we had Furious 7 (pretty good if a bit bloated, not as good as 5 or 6 but still way better than the first few films), then John Wick (badass film, lived up to the hype, glad I waited to see it at the cinema) and now Fury Road, and we'll get SPECTRE later this year.

I want to be excited for Mission Impossible 5 but after watching Going Clear, I really don't want to support Tom Cruise at all. Don't feel comfortable giving him a penny of my money anymore. I would watch it online but my wife will probably want to watch it really and I prefer watching stuff on the TV to the computer anyway. I know someone who sometimes sells pirate DVDs, mostly filmed of the cinema screen but often good quality. Might be able to get a copy off him.

@Creasy47 Can't believe I'm defending superhero films but, in their defense, I don't think every film needs character development. The Man With No Name trilogy didn't really have character development, it's still an amazing trilogy.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I think these need to be posted here, too:

"I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE!!"
    n6UzJNW.jpg
    U74kJHK.jpg

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Bullet-Farmer-BTS.png
    group-of-judges.jpg

Never really noticed this when watching the film but it's kinda weird how the previous films made a point of showing ammunition was scarce, while in this one bullets fly constantly (with this guy being the main example).

Not a complaint, just pointing out how the franchise has changed. Yet more evidence for Fury Road being a reboot/reimagining rather than a direct sequel, imo.
    @thelivingroyale, every film doesn't need character development, but when characters aren't changing after such life-altering events taking place over the course of a decade or so, then I start to get bothered. The problem with most of those films coming out these days is that there never seems to be a true sense of danger.
    That's true, I think especially in big ensemble films like Avengers. Hard to stay invested in the action when you know all the characters will be fine (because they've already announced solo sequels and they all have multi film contracts).

Bond doesn't really have this problem. I mean you know Bond will be ok but Bond girls, allies, etc, could well end up dead, which adds a sense of danger that isn't really in the Marvel films.
    @thelivingroyale, THAT'S the worst part right there: these constant sequel announcements. If I know that this character or that character is slated to be in the next five or six or however many films, then I know that they won't die, thus lessening any sense of danger or worry for their character. This inevitably leads you with an overly long film building up to a mediocre finale filled with generic CG baddies that the superheroes are fighting.
    @Creasy47 Completely agree. Haven't actually seen many of the Marvel movies but I have seen Iron Man, Avengers and Iron Man 3, and I think Avengers contained a good example of this: in that film at the end Iron Man makes a big sacrifice and it looks like he'll die in the process. But I knew he wouldn't because I'd read about Iron Man 3 being announced a year before Avengers even came out, which cheapened his sacrifice for me.

I'm sick of superhero films. Your last sentence summed up the problem: 90% of them all follow that formula. It's not that there are too many superhero films, it's that they're all the same. There's been some brilliantly fresh, original superhero stuff like Misfits, Kick Ass, Chronicle, etc. But all the big films from Marvel and DC all follow the same formula: the light hearted CGI extravagansa or the gritty, dark, dramatic formula. Every superhero film either tries to be Iron Man, or tries to be the Nolan Batman trilogy, but none of them are ever as good. It just comes across as repetitive. Iron Man was good because it was a breath of fresh air, a fun, creative blockbuster, but Marvel have taken the Iron Man formula and run it into the ground by releasing multiple films a year that followed that blueprint. The Nolan trilogy was great because it was brilliantly directed, shot, acted, written, etc. There are lots of films that try to be like the Nolan films (Man Of Steel) thinking they'll achieve the same success just by rebooting a character and throwing in some half assed character drama but that doesn't work because the film itself is nowhere near the same quality as the Nolan films, and the whole gritty reboot thing is just boring now. I have no interest in ever watching Avengers 2 or Batman vs Superman.
    @thelivingroyale, I know we're taking this off topic, but I really have nothing else to add after your last comment. That sums up the entirety of any point I could make in a much more thought out fashion. That is exactly the problem I'm having with these films lately.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This is yet another post not about the thread topic but continuing this current train of thought. I saw Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time today, a film which seems much loved by many. I enjoyed it as far as spectacle, it was impressive to see the work put into it to get the CGI looking how it did. I could tell money was spent on it but as far as it being memorable, it really wasn't. I can't see it staying with me. There were no scenes, lines, dialogue, even jokes - they fell flat - or action sequences that I'll rush back to re-visit at any time and no character development to speak of. Chris Pratt is likeable but just... there.

My slight tangent for what it's worth.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,477
    @Samuel001, I saw 'Guardians of the Galaxy' as soon as it came out, and if you paid me to sit down and tell you a general plot of what happened and the scenes therein, I wouldn't be able to do it. I remember maybe 10-15% of that movie, and that's not a good thing.

'Mad Max: Fury Road,' on the other hand, has stuck with me pretty damn well since I saw it opening night. The amount of insanity in that movie is worth many, many repeated viewings.
    Totally agree with most of the posts about what made MMFR so special. Particularly agree with @Tuulia's posts and enjoyed the links with interesting background info. Saw the first Avengers, the first Iron Man and a few of the other Marvel spin offs, and that's it for me. I feel like I'm watching the same film over and over, with nearly the same actors, robots and CGI effects, all of them with just slight variations. They have become way too repetitive.

But this MM was it's own beast. Along with the incredible tension and pacing, the stunt work was brilliant, and I was emotionally involved with the very big question mark of who was going to survive. I just feel this film is a vastly superior action film to just about every action film I can remember for years. MI5, Spectre and anything else following it this year has a high bar to meet. It appears to be doing well, and there will be a sequel, but still, It's disheartening to see clearly inferior action films post such huge BO.
    Well, character development isn't absolutely necessary for a movie to be good, but some development usually needs to be there. In MMFR it was most notably the relationship development between Max and Furiosa, and Nux's story was notable, too.

But what I think is essential is that the characters are interesting and many movies miss that mark for me, such as The Avengers. Nobody felt real or all that interesting and I didn't care about them. When I say "real" - yes, I know they were superheroes, not regular folk, but I mean real persons with real complex inner life and feelings and all that. I got that with Nolan's trilogy. I got that with MMFR.

I agree with you guys that too much cgi easily contibutes to the feeling of not really caring what's happening since it doesn't feel real. The sequel thingy doesn't really matter to me in that, I don't feel actual mortal danger to main characters is necessary for me to feel invested and interested in what happens in a movie. I knew Max was going to survive, I always know Bond will survive, so it's not that. I still care what happens to them and how they get through it (I mean not just which of the other characters will make it and so on).

I also agree that too much sameness and repetition, too much formula kills the interest. It's like with food; even if you really like some dish, would you like it as much if you ate it every day and wouldn't you want something else pretty soon? The huge success of stuff like the Marvel movies is a complete mystery to me. Some aren't bad, but, well... Messing with a formula is a good idea. That can, of course, end up making a mess of it, too, but done well it's the way to keep things interesting in the long run - presumably not only for the audience but the people making the movies, too. I sometimes wonder about the actors if they get inferior scripts or a useless director and may be disappointed already during filming, but can't do anything about it... and if they have multiple film contracts then they'll just have to do it again, like or not. I know the stars get paid nicely, but still... For anyone who considers themselves a proper actor surely making something worthwile is more than just making money. And that should apply to filmmakers in general.
    Another thing that I loved so much about 'Fury Road' was that it has been one of the only films to ever receive such a large delay and NOT turn out to be a complete disaster. It debuted to a wonderful weekend at the box office (and has continued to do so) and has garnered only the most rave of reviews since. Looking into some of the production history, too, I've noticed that a lot of the stunts that they thought would have to be CG eventually turned into a practical matter, because of how much time they were allotted to work on it (i.e. the raiders on the top of the poles. Those were actual people being driven by the cars, whereas a few years ago, it was brought up in storyboards with no chance of being realistic.)
    Yes, @Creasy47, both of those things were great.
    I may be getting a bit off thread here, but I am hoping that there is great chemistry (for obviously different reasons) between Bond and Swann and Bond and Blofeld. As already noted, we know Bond will always survive, but I think that both of these relationships should be central to making Spectre unique for an action film. If both relationships are terrific, the film can almost not help but be terrific too as we already know about the upcoming major action scenes.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 5,767
    @Creasy47 Completely agree. Haven't actually seen many of the Marvel movies but I have seen Iron Man, Avengers and Iron Man 3, and I think Avengers contained a good example of this: in that film at the end Iron Man makes a big sacrifice and it looks like he'll die in the process. But I knew he wouldn't because I'd read about Iron Man 3 being announced a year before Avengers even came out, which cheapened his sacrifice for me.

I'm sick of superhero films. Your last sentence summed up the problem: 90% of them all follow that formula. It's not that there are too many superhero films, it's that they're all the same. There's been some brilliantly fresh, original superhero stuff like Misfits, Kick Ass, Chronicle, etc. But all the big films from Marvel and DC all follow the same formula: the light hearted CGI extravagansa or the gritty, dark, dramatic formula. Every superhero film either tries to be Iron Man, or tries to be the Nolan Batman trilogy, but none of them are ever as good. It just comes across as repetitive. Iron Man was good because it was a breath of fresh air, a fun, creative blockbuster, but Marvel have taken the Iron Man formula and run it into the ground by releasing multiple films a year that followed that blueprint. The Nolan trilogy was great because it was brilliantly directed, shot, acted, written, etc. There are lots of films that try to be like the Nolan films (Man Of Steel) thinking they'll achieve the same success just by rebooting a character and throwing in some half assed character drama but that doesn't work because the film itself is nowhere near the same quality as the Nolan films, and the whole gritty reboot thing is just boring now. I have no interest in ever watching Avengers 2 or Batman vs Superman.
    Well, there you have one basic point of superheros. They wouldn´t be much superhero if they died so easily.
    One can´t really complain that Marvel does what it does with the films, because if I´m not mistaken they do pretty much with the films what they did and do with the comic books, and that made them so successful. In the comics, perhaps some hero is killed off at some point, but then he´ll re-appear either in a re-boot or in an alternate universe.
    No, what bothers me most in superhero films is that the protagonists have supernatural powers, yet deal mostly with human emotional problems, which in a way makes them bloated babies. James Bond on the other hand doesn´t have superpowers, he doesn´t even have the most exemplary character, yet he gets the job done, saves the world, and at least used to get the girl.

Of course it doesn´t help the comic book movies either that producers think they have to cram as many characters from the books into the films as possible, or even more, instead of concentrating on a decent story.

Never really noticed this when watching the film but it's kinda weird how the previous films made a point of showing ammunition was scarce, while in this one bullets fly constantly (with this guy being the main example).

Not a complaint, just pointing out how the franchise has changed. Yet more evidence for Fury Road being a reboot/reimagining rather than a direct sequel, imo.
    Actually, it doesn´t have to be weird. Max is wandering through an awfully big desert, and from time to time stumbles upon remnants of society that have developed since the apocalypse isolated from the rest of the world. As you can see in MMFR, they use mirrors and sunlight for communication, they don´t have radios. But in each of the three towns industrial techniques haven´t been obliterated completely, hence one town has functioning oil plant equipment (which wasn´t extinct in RW either), and one has weapons industry.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My initial response after watching Fury Road was; "I WANT SEQUELS FAST!". But now I'm not sure I do. I had such a wonderful time with Fury Road, maybe I need to cherish the movie as the 4th MM film and not necessarily as the first of 'many more'. In this day and age of superhero movies coming off the assembly line in quick succession, it's become difficult not to think of sequels. However, all four of these MM films are somewhat standalone experiences. So maybe, if they ever produce another MM, there's a good chance it'll be something very different from FR anyway. Apparently, Miller is currently working on Mad Max: The Wasteland... ;-)

By the way, I played this video game called R.A.G.E once. Can I just say, there are some amazing similarities with MMFR.
    http://media.dunkedcdn.com/assets/prod/63098/p18qj655qo1f2aboqgqq121slc23.jpg
    http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/RAGE-Box-Art.jpg
    http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/Rage/TheScorchers01.jpg
    http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/RAGE_CarJump.jpg
    tumblr_nop25bStci1qi0stwo2_500.jpg

This scene :x \m/ ^:)^
    This is the moment where Furiosa takes control. In a land of (assumed) fertility, Max is less capable than she is. I so went with it!
    But Max was so badass for being as he was, far more of a man for not trying to be The Man.Gained my utmost respect right there and I still remember grinning, it was so unusual. And no stupid jokes from either or a big deal made of it.Just doing what needed to be done. Such a fabulous pair, I loved their relationship.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,551
    From what I heard though, things weren't always that pleasant off screen. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    From what I heard though, things weren't always that pleasant off screen. ;-)

Yeah I read a lot about that before the film was out (back when we had no trailer or release date or anything and I was scrounging the internet for every scrap of info I could find :P, weird how it finished filming two and a half years ago but only just came out, while in contrast SP is still filming and will be out in November), that they were arguing and she was finding him difficult because of how he worked, etc, but to be fair I think making the whole film was quite a difficult tiring proccess (because of the weather and all the stunts and everything), and they seem to be ok now

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/05/charlize-theron-says-she-fking-went-at-it-with-tom-hardy-on-the-set-of-mad-max-fury-road.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2605511/Tom-Hardy-opens-feud-Charlize-Theron.html
    Interesting text in that DM interview. Although I never trust the DM, it still does sound like Hardy, and it's why I like him. Apart from being a very good actor, he's unpretentious and honest. Some of these 5' 4" so called action stars like Downey and Renner just strut and brag about being action guys, ignoring the fact that all of their stunts are being done by stunt men with 100 times their guts and none of their perks. Actors can be such phoneys but Hardy seems genuine. He would make a great Bond, but his growing success and perhaps his age would seem to take him out of contention. In MM, he has his own Bond.
    So how does everyone feel about the score? I have to say, with the drums and guitars literally seen in the film, I paid even closer attention to the music than I normally would. I think the score is just great; very energetic, pulsating and exciting, much like the movie itself.
    Totally agree. It really served the film well. Wish we could get something great (but obviously not similar) with SP, but seriously doubt we'll get it.